HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
starbuck97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Our young core...

Giroux (25)
Simmonds (24)
Voracek (23)
Schenn (21)
Couturier (20)
Laughton (19)
Cousins (19)

Gustafsson (24)
Schenn (23)
Gostisbehere (20)
Hagg (18)
Morin (17)
Solid youth and potential. I'll add:

Read (27)
McGinn (22)

Lauridsen (24)

Mason (25)
Stolarz (19)

Just to complete 3 forward lines, 3 D pairings, and 2 goalies.

If everything stayed the same, that offense could be a serious threat in 1 year. That defense is gonna need 3-4 years to develop. And the goalies are a crapshoot. I would look to acquire a solid #1 NHL Defenseman and an additional NHL ready young goalie and this young core is a well balanced NHL threat in the next 2 years.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Tripod

This is also why signing "free" UFA's are good. They fill a spot without losing our young players. Small example, trade Coburn for MPS and 2 2nd rounders(as was rumored), pick up Ballard on waivers for free. He can replace Coburn's minutes and is suited for Lavi's system.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
ahthorne

^ Ballard is awful. Let Vancouver buy Ballard out and let some other team give him a second chance.

I would've thought hard about trading Coburn for MPS+2 2nd rounders but I think Coburn has more value than that to this organization. Let the Oilers really overpay if they want him that badly.

I really like a lot of the prospects that are now entering our system - especially the ones who are under the radar. Alt, Straka, Flanagan, Noebels, Leier and even Lauridsen and Manning. Of course, Laughton, Morin, Gustafsson, Hagg, Stolarz, McGinn, Akeson and Cousins all look promising too. Nice little revamp of our farm system, just hope they all develop nicely together.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Now we just need a good AHL coach

Old
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
^ Ballard is awful. Let Vancouver buy Ballard out and let some other team give him a second chance.

I would've thought hard about trading Coburn for MPS+2 2nd rounders but I think Coburn has more value than that to this organization. Let the Oilers really overpay if they want him that badly.

I really like a lot of the prospects that are now entering our system - especially the ones who are under the radar. Alt, Straka, Flanagan, Noebels, Leier and even Lauridsen and Manning. Of course, Laughton, Morin, Gustafsson, Hagg, Stolarz, McGinn, Akeson and Cousins all look promising too. Nice little revamp of our farm system, just hope they all develop nicely together.
When teams lose out in free agency on defenders Homer's phone might be ringing with some desperate GM's on the other line inquiring about Coburn. I don't think he's out of the woods yet.

I really liked the 2011 & 2012 drafts as a whole that's what made yesterday so confusing. I didn't mind the first two picks but then the 3rd pick and a bunch of unknowns happened. It seemed like the last two years we've gotten good value on most of our picks and even the later rounds. I mean Vasiliev was ranked a lot higher than where he was picked in the 7th round.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Ballard used to be a really good defenseman. Vigneault did a number on him for what ever reason and he just never got out of the blocks in Vancouver. If Ballard can be had for about $1 million, I say take a chance on him that he rebounds. The skill was always there, just not sure why Vigneault hated him.

Quote:
I still don't get why the Flyers didn't make that move. Put MPS on the left wing with Giroux and Voracek and move Hartnell to the second line with Read and have Simmonds on the third with Couturier and you could really make lives miserable going forward. I get that they shouldn't just give away Coburn, but MPS is about ready to break through. Great size, great shot, good overall game and hockey IQ. He could have been a gamer. I'm still holding out hope that the Flyers get him though.

Quote:
I completely forgot about Leier. He had a real good year in Portland and he's probably going to have an even bigger one now that Ty Rattie will be in St. Louis. He's probably going to be on a line with either Brendan Leipsic or Nic Petan, so he should see his numbers increase even more. Looking forward to when he arrives. He should be a very interesting player to watch.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:44 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I still don't get why the Flyers didn't make that move. Put MPS on the left wing with Giroux and Voracek and move Hartnell to the second line with Read and have Simmonds on the third with Couturier and you could really make lives miserable going forward. I get that they shouldn't just give away Coburn, but MPS is about ready to break through. Great size, great shot, good overall game and hockey IQ. He could have been a gamer. I'm still holding out hope that the Flyers get him though.
You never know, it might have never been an offer that was actually on the table. Holmgren said they "never got close", and I can't imagine MPS+2nd+2nd not being considered "close". Maybe that's what Holmgren was asking for, and MacT didn't budge?

I agree with you, MPS would have had a whole new ceiling in Philly. He's the perfect complementary piece for an elite center. Like you said, it would allow us to spread our depth throughout the lineup.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
ahthorne

I too would love to get MPS in a Coburn deal, but only if we could actually get a Coburn replacement - and no, I don't think Meszaros/Grossmann are good replacements for Coburn. If we were rebuilding, I could see it, but I think this team could make noise next season especially with lower expectations. We've got a great group of forwards and our defense looks respectable. Goaltending is the wild card, of course, but Emery-Mason or Thomas-Mason wouldn't be near as bad as Bryz-Leighton. Bryz-Bob wasn't great but I don't know how to explain that.

At least if the team sucks again, we'll have new management and new coaches - and a new system could be the difference maker in how the team performs down the road.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:17 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I too would love to get MPS in a Coburn deal, but only if we could actually get a Coburn replacement - and no, I don't think Meszaros/Grossmann are good replacements for Coburn. If we were rebuilding, I could see it, but I think this team could make noise next season especially with lower expectations. We've got a great group of forwards and our defense looks respectable. Goaltending is the wild card, of course, but Emery-Mason or Thomas-Mason wouldn't be near as bad as Bryz-Leighton. Bryz-Bob wasn't great but I don't know how to explain that.

At least if the team sucks again, we'll have new management and new coaches - and a new system could be the difference maker in how the team performs down the road.
Agreed about getting a replacement, though, I'm okay with it being someone not yet in the NHL but somewhere close. I'd absolutely love to land Klefbom+MPS, but that's not realistic. I'd settle for Martin Marancin. Had a solid AHL year, and could take the next step next season.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:00 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97 View Post
Solid youth and potential. I'll add:

Read (27)
Adding Read, you might as well add Coburn and Grossmann then.

Quote:
McGinn (22)
Not opposed to it, but then you have to add Rinaldo and potentially various fringe forwards like Raffl, Akeson, etc when in reality Rinaldo is probably more of a consistent NHLer down the road if trends continue.

Quote:
Lauridsen (24)
I like Manning and Alt better.

Quote:
Mason (25)
Stolarz (19)
These two however are legit additions.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I still don't get why the Flyers didn't make that move. Put MPS on the left wing with Giroux and Voracek and move Hartnell to the second line with Read and have Simmonds on the third with Couturier and you could really make lives miserable going forward. I get that they shouldn't just give away Coburn, but MPS is about ready to break through. Great size, great shot, good overall game and hockey IQ. He could have been a gamer. I'm still holding out hope that the Flyers get him though..
The Flyers can get a better young forward than MPS for Coburn once free agency starts and teams miss out on the available defensemen. Not saying it is legitimate, but some Tampa fans on the main board are speculating Brett Connolly may be available. More talented forwards than MPS, who I like, may be available or the Flyers could just squeeze more assets out of Edmonton.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I still don't get why the Flyers didn't make that move.
Because they can get more for Coburn, and they need to make sure they have another defenseman coming in to play his minutes if they do decide to trade him.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Mps < jvr. At this time in his career.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Because they can get more for Coburn, and they need to make sure they have another defenseman coming in to play his minutes if they do decide to trade him.
Isn't Bourdon almost ready to play? He has skill and speed, not sure about the big minutes though.

Old
07-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Curufinwe

He almost ready for contact in practice, not ready to take Coburn's minutes in the NHL.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Isn't Bourdon almost ready to play? He has skill and speed, not sure about the big minutes though.
If Bourdon ever plays again, it'll be a nice story. Nevermind him going on to become a 24 minute a night guy.

Old
07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Heh, heh, hey Beavis, did that guy just say Bourdon had speed?

Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Post-draft top 10 prospects
http://flyersprospects.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Top 10
1. C Scott Laughton
2. D Samuel Morin
3. C Nick Cousins
4. G Anthony Stolarz
5. D Robert Hagg
6. D Shayne Gostisbehere
7. LW Marcel Noebels
8. LW Tye McGinn
9. C Jason Akeson
10. LW Taylor Leier
Opinions?

Old
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post

Opinions?
Needs more Goulbourne IMO.

Mine would look like this:
1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Stolarz
6. Cousins
7. Straka
8. McGinn
9. Noebels
10. Leier

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
07-09-2013, 10:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Opinions?
1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Cousins
6. Straka
7. McGinn
8. Stolarz
9. Noebels
10. Manning
11. Akeson
12. Lauridsen
13. Bourdon
14. Holmstrom
15. Wellwood
16. Goulbourne
17. Flanagan
18. Leier
19. Alt
20. Willcox

Old
07-09-2013, 10:55 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

Opinions?
I'm personally not very high on Noebels or McGinn so I would place them at 9 and 10 respectively. I would go Leier 7 and Akeson 8. That may sound odd considering McGinn has played some NHL games already but I don't think he'll be anything more then a solid 4th liner. I can't help but compare Leier to Talbot who is best suited a 4th liner but makes a great one and he's also the type of player you win with IMO (does a lot of the small things).

Old
07-09-2013, 11:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

Opinions?
What is the criteria? Ceiling? Likelihood to reach the ceiling? Where they are now? I don't think Laughton should be highest if it's ceiling, and Cousins should be lower.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
What is the criteria? Ceiling? Likelihood to reach the ceiling? Where they are now? I don't think Laughton should be highest if it's ceiling, and Cousins should be lower.
I was going on potential

Old
07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Stizzle

1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Stolarz

... I think a steep drop off exists after these 5.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
1. Laughton
2. Morin
3. Hagg
4. Gostisbehere
5. Stolarz

... I think a steep drop off exists after these 5.
I think we need to be careful about grades to Stolarz and Leier.

They're the guys in situations that can really artificially boost their production.

Closed Thread