HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Rob Scuderi (4 years | $13.5M | $3.375M AAV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 10:29 AM
66-30-33

vCash: 500
Speaking of Bortuzzo, what happened to the guy? He used to be VERY noticible every shift with **** disturbing then all of a sudden died off. Why can't he just always throw his body around?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
My favorite was that we were "trying to buy our way into the playoffs again"

There should be an entry exam before you are allowed to start posting here.
So what are the Flyers doing then?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:35 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Aside from the Eriksson trade, the Scuderi deal was my favorite. Great cap hit for a top 4 defenseman, and he is EXACTLY what Kris Letang needs in a defensive partner.

I think I would like to see Crankshaft brought back...pair him with Simon. That way you have some speed and some grit on every pairing. Trade Bortuzzo. Let Engo be #7. I've already chalked up Matt Niskanen being gone.
Played 23 minutes a game for LA in the playoffs. 2nd most. I think he'll be fine for at least the next two years.

I'm not worried about the next two years for Scuderi, Kunitz, or Dupuis. It's the latter half of the deals I'm worried about. When Scuds is almost 40, Dupes & Kuhn both in their late 30's. Of course if their play declines too much & they retire it doesn't count against the cap. Or did that change with the new CBA?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:39 AM
chethejet

Not an issue of declining, it is an issue of someone has to improve for the team to improve. Crosby health is a big issue as always. Yet if Bennett and Despres and Jeffrey don't get minutes because Bylsma continues to value players who fit his style, then how can one expect a better team. Detroit and and improving Columbus come into the conference and that makes playoff spots more limiting. Pens had a great regular season and decent playoffs, but Shero tactically insured cost containment with the signings, they are the same guys who were swept by the Bruins.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:40 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
Advanced Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Played 23 minutes a game for LA in the playoffs. 2nd most. I think he'll be fine for at least the next two years.

I'm not worried about the next two years for Scuderi, Kunitz, or Dupuis. It's the latter half of the deals I'm worried about. When Scuds is almost 40, Dupes & Kuhn both in their late 30's. Of course if their play declines too much & they retire it doesn't count against the cap. Or did that change with the new CBA?
It didn't change. The 35+ rule absolutely still exists.

Luckily, none of these contracts qualify.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:03 AM
pistolpete11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post
Not an issue of declining, it is an issue of someone has to improve for the team to improve. Crosby health is a big issue as always. Yet if Bennett and Despres and Jeffrey don't get minutes because Bylsma continues to value players who fit his style, then how can one expect a better team. Detroit and and improving Columbus come into the conference and that makes playoff spots more limiting. Pens had a great regular season and decent playoffs, but Shero tactically insured cost containment with the signings, they are the same guys who were swept by the Bruins.
Roster was not the reason they got swept.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:37 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If we move Niskanen we have 1.7M available. That won't do it. Trading Bortuzzo doesn't help, it just pays for a 13th forward that we currently don't have.
Harry Z is the 13th forward, I believe.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:38 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
Advanced Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Welp... breakfast tasted much better going down than it did coming up.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
right now, ya. My point is that the 1.7M number doesn't include a 13th forward. Drop it to 1.1 if you add in Harry Z.

Not counting Harry Z makes it simpler to add somebody since nobody would be forced out. Once you add in Harry Z you need to subtract who you are replacing before adding in the salary of the guy you are adding. Its an extra math step people tend to forget, so when I talk about this I try to cut it out as best I can

Similarly, people like to move Niskanen and Glass but then they forget that we need to replace Glass in that scenario so we can't just throw that full extra 1.1M at a better 3rd liner.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:16 PM
mpp9

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.660m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,248,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,051,667

Old
07-07-2013, 12:43 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Speaking of Bortuzzo, what happened to the guy? He used to be VERY noticible every shift with **** disturbing then all of a sudden died off. Why can't he just always throw his body around?
At the NHL level? I don't personally think the guy is a very good NHL player, mainly because his lower body and core strength are below average. He's a big guy, has a good frame, but he needs to do some serious bulking up.

I can't see him clearing creases effectively at the NHL level without doing so.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:43 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
The Bylsma factor might be the explanation.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:46 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
At the NHL level? I don't personally think the guy is a very good NHL player, mainly because his lower body and core strength are below average. He's a big guy, has a good frame, but he needs to do some serious bulking up.

I can't see him clearing creases effectively at the NHL level without doing so.
When he played his first handful of games I heard his name constantly called out because he was causing chaos. I dunno what happened? You never hear his name anymore. I was really liking the guy too!

Old
07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
When he played his first handful of games I heard his name constantly called out because he was causing chaos. I dunno what happened? You never hear his name anymore. I was really liking the guy too!
Maybe the fact that Bylsma never let him play led to you not hearing his name

I think he'll end up being a solid bottom pairing guy if he ever gets the chance.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
chethejet

No not the sole reason, but does anyone believe this team is better this year. They may be as good, but better that remains to be seen. The roster as utilized by Bylsma is an issue, but clearly the Islanders gave them fits. the Bruins did the little things that the Pens didn't do enough of like go the net.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post

No not the sole reason, but does anyone believe this team is better this year. They may be as good, but better that remains to be seen. The roster as utilized by Bylsma is an issue, but clearly the Islanders gave them fits. the Bruins did the little things that the Pens didn't do enough of like go the net.
every top team from last year has gotten worse from their playoff form. We've all lost depth. Our team is better right now than it was going in to last season. People seem to forget we started last season with Eric Tangradi on Geno's left wing. Now we have a battle between Jokinen and Bennett. The 1st and 4th lines are the same. The 3rd line has downgraded from Cooke, but either Jokinen or Bennett will be an upgrade over TK. So our offense saw two lines stay the same, 1 get better and 1 is probably a bit worse. The defense is simply better with the addition of Scuderi as well.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Should have never let him go to kings in first place. We'd be back to back to back to back champs
We're talkin minimum 8-peat.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:20 PM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Well all the yinzers will be happy bc for the past 4 years all I've heard is 'Ya with out dat Gill and Scuds wez hasn't been as good at clearin da net n'at. We need guys to stop tryin to score goals...YER A DEFENSMAN...STAY DER!'

I'm hoping he's just our Crash Davis to coach Big Bird and Simon on finer points of defensive play?

Old
07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
gdsmack267

Pretty cool Scuderi interview. I really think he is going to bring a much needed calming presence to the blueline and locker room.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/...DRXH88.twitter

Old
07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Pretty cool Scuderi interview. I really think he is going to bring a much needed calming presence to the blueline and locker room.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/...DRXH88.twitter
Great interview. Scuderi seems like such a great guy. Not that this should come as a surprise, but it's nonetheless interesting to hear that he thinks Fleury's problems are 100% psychological/confidence-related.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Great interview. Scuderi seems like such a great guy. Not that this should come as a surprise, but it's nonetheless interesting to hear that he thinks Fleury's problems are 100% psychological/confidence-related.
I don't think anyone questions Fleury's physical ability. You don't go 1st overall without great tools.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
We're talkin minimum 8-peat.

Bearz...

Old
07-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
I don't think anyone questions Fleury's physical ability. You don't go 1st overall without great tools.
Not really directed at you, but I think too often we are talking physical ability and psychology being the two main things for a goalie. If we were looking at skaters, on those accounts you could say that Dupuis is as good as Crosby almost.

What is missing is technical ability/skill and hockey IQ. He might have the wheels and physique and a great never say die attitude, but Dupuis can never do the things Crosby can with the puck on his stick; can never see the kind of openings before they happen Sid can etc.

For a goaltender you could say such particulars from down to playing the puck, rebound control, staying with plays rather than scramble (etc.) for the former, and tracking the play behind the net, reading plays in general, getting on the right angles (etc.) for the latter. All areas where he leaves rather a lot to be desired.

I will never doubt Fleury's athleticism and his size is fine also. But outside of seeming mentally frail, I have big concerns that there are fundamental technical skills that he just isn't very good at, and whether it is hockey IQ deficiencies or him psyching himself out of playing smart, he certainly has had many high profiles gaffes with reading plays and pucks behind our net, not to mention seemingly harmless wristers from bad angles.

Just look at the impact it has on our cycle prevention that Vokoun plays the puck significantly better than Fleury. Arguably our D-men also play better in front of a guy who is more about fundamentals than flash. For this team, and indeed most teams, I choose someone predictable and fundamentally solid over someone who can look God-like one moment and craptastic the next.

I hope the organization, Scuderi and others are right and it is all mental and he could come great with some help, but at the same time addressing mental weakness is hardly easy, and it isn't just about seeing a shrink and then he will be peachy.
Going that route against his own wish (last year at least) can be a major personal defeat for him, and if it doesn't pay immediate dividends, he can come to consider himself an even bigger screw up.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:39 PM
LetangInTheSO

^ I've seen a lot of posters question Fleury's technical fundamentals this season. I'm no goaltending expert, but I still disagree with the notion that Fleury has bad fundamentals. When he's on, he does a spectacular job cutting down/taking away shooting angles and gets into the butterfly very quickly. With regards to his puck playing ability, he is terrible. So is Roberto Luongo. Some guys are good puck handlers, and some aren't.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Malkinstheman

I think ultimately it leads back to his mental toughness. I think last season was better but how many times did fleury let up a shut-out in the last 5 minutes of the 2011-2012 season? I think more than 5 times. Sometimes he can make easy saves and sometimes he cant. Its kind of like his mental toughness is also consistent. He will be at the top of his game then just break. I mean look at the islanders series. He gets a shutout then suddenly breaks in the rest of the games. He looked so good in game 1. I think shero and co commited to him for this season because he has finally agreed to work on his game. I dont have a link, but i remember someone mentioning that shero has advised him to workout in the offseason before but he neglected. From what i remember, these problems have been going on since hiss junior days.

Closed Thread