HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
GrindNMuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post
Trading Gionta or Desharnais (for example) would give us ample cap space to get a deal done.
Yes that's true. But now i just seen a thread saying "Hab's looking into getting Edler" ... They would have to trade either Desharnais, Plekanec, Gionta and Gorges to get both of them.

-If i was them i would trade Desharnais, Gorges to get Edler. And try and sign Morrow for about 3.0-3.3 million dollars.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

We need defense more than forward. If we don't get a shutdown guy then Price is toast.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Lions999

I would trade DD, Drewskie and Diaz for a top 4 D that can play physical. Then you can go get Morrow and I think that would be a good line up.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:38 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It almost seems like Bergevin thinks the Habs are a contender with the way he has approached this offseason.

I don't understand why the defense has not even been sniffed at. 80% of all the rumours that have been tied to the Habs have been to bolster the forwards.

I don't get it. The defense is pretty abysmal; especially with Emelin's health as a question mark going into the season.
Which d-men on the market are particularly interesting out there? Which options are really attracting, and would bring our team to the next level?

None. Fact is, it's better to keep our players, let our prospects develop, and keep hoping for the best. Anyway, this team isn't anywhere near contender status in the next 2 years. It's still early, and normally, we should see a depth signing to replace Kostitsyn.

But there are no Ds out there that are worth 4 years contract.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We need defense more than forward. If we don't get a shutdown guy then Price is toast.
Find one. Find one who's on the current market and who's worth giving a 4 years + contract too.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:46 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
No faith in Tinordi I see.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Dude, our D is not abyssmal, not even close...yeah, we can always use an upgrade if it's available (like Franson or Coburn...or Schenn, yay), but we have a solid D-core (Subbie, Markov, Gorges, Diaz) and Tinordi and maybe even Pateryn are ready for the jump to Top 6, keeping Cube & Drew in the Pressbox...no panic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
The D is set:

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon, Tinordi, and Drewiske. Emelin once he recovers will be there as well. Only Tinordi is on a two-way contract, and he will start with the Habs unless he has a disastrous camp. So basically no room for another D, unless someone is moved, which I don't see happening just yet.

Morrow would be a useful short term addition. This team is still missing a gritty element, with some skill, and Morrow can provide that.
The D is not set. Maybe in bodies, but not in quality.

We have two top 4 defensemen, Subban and Markov. Then we have two tweeners that are on the boundary, but mostly have one or two solid dimensions, Diaz and Gorges.

Drewiske belongs in the press box. Tinordi, while showing some promise, is still a green rookie. Boullion is fringe depth.

There is no meat and potatoes in the middle. There is no minute eater top 4 defensemen who brings multi-dimensions to the corps (someone like Hamrlik was for us a few years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
My guess is it's reactionary to the lack of goals for in the playoffs. It boggles my mind because they didn't have a problem with scoring over the duration of the season. Yes, there was a drop-off, but that was more on the defense and team play than anything else.
There were two very strong weaknesses in my opinion during the playoffs. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think goaltending was one of them. Price wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but it was workable.

Both weaknesses are profoundly evident in one simple stat:

In third periods during the series we were outscored something like 9-0. That is simply pathetic. This, in my mind, leads to two distinct weaknesses:

1) Weak mental capacity - ie, lack of leadership, depth being too green, not enough depth (could have been amplified by the injury situation), coaching.

2) Weak defensive depth.

I don't mind the Briere signing, it was low risk and it addresses number 1.

Who on the defense corps is eating minutes besides Subban?

Markov? Not anymore.
Gorges? Not even close.
Diaz? Then this team is in trouble.
Tinordi? Read above.
Boullion? LOL.

THIS is the problem for me. And to see our GM not even attempt to address this (based on what we have heard anyways) is baffling to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Which d-men on the market are particularly interesting out there? Which options are really attracting, and would bring our team to the next level?

None. Fact is, it's better to keep our players, let our prospects develop, and keep hoping for the best. Anyway, this team isn't anywhere near contender status in the next 2 years. It's still early, and normally, we should see a depth signing to replace Kostitsyn.

But there are no Ds out there that are worth 4 years contract.
Don't go free agency. Quality defensemen are not usually found in July. Unless by trade. We have assets, parlay them into something that is going to be a long-term investment on defense.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
1 word.

You get one guess.

Hint: CH
CH = Montreal Canadiens = Geoff Molson = Marc Bergevin = Ch...wait, I think it got it! Ch..arac...ter! YES! CHARACTER GUYS! I FOUND THE FREAKING WORD! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Old
07-09-2013, 11:01 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
how do you know this..
Because that's what Mario Langlois said.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
can anyone confirm that it was morrow who went to the canadiens as one poster stated but provided no proof.
https://twitter.com/LangloisMario/st...31621632573442

Old
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
can anyone confirm that it was morrow who went to the canadiens as one poster stated but provided no proof.
According to Carbo, who is Morrow's father-in-law...
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...au-251800.html

Old
07-09-2013, 11:18 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Find one. Find one who's on the current market and who's worth giving a 4 years + contract too.
fistric for 3 years

Old
07-09-2013, 11:25 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Jagr or Morrow for 1 year; I'm ok with that.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Grant McCagg

Zetterberg turns 33 at season's start, Datsyuk turns 35 this month, Franzen will be 34 two months into the season and Samuelsson will be 37, Bertuzzi is 38, Alfie is 40. Five players over 35.....with Tatar having no choice but to be in Detroit at season's start, the team will have 8 forwards under 6-0.....how can Detroit even compete this season? Their fans must be miserable about this....

Old
07-09-2013, 11:40 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
fistric for 3 years
We do not need any more #5 or #6 defensemen.

I get the allure of a Fistric, but that is because we are so starved to get more physical players on the roster. Fistric chalks up the hit totals but he is not really great at anything else.

I think Tinordi can step in and solidify bottom pairing duty quite nicely this season, and Pateryn may not be as far away as some think.

We need to strengthen the middle pairing of our D. Diaz, Gorges, and even an aging Markov are miscast as top 4 defenders (Markov not so much but he is no longer a #1). With over half our D corps hitting free agency next year, it will be interesting to see how MB tries to shape the defense.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:42 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Zetterberg turns 33 at season's start, Datsyuk turns 35 this month, Franzen will be 34 two months into the season and Samuelsson will be 37, Bertuzzi is 38, Alfie is 40. Five players over 35.....with Tatar having no choice but to be in Detroit at season's start, the team will have 8 forwards under 6-0.....how can Detroit even compete this season? Their fans must be miserable about this....
Nice work.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:46 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
We do not need any more #5 or #6 defensemen.

I get the allure of a Fistric, but that is because we are so starved to get more physical players on the roster. Fistric chalks up the hit totals but he is not really great at anything else.

I think Tinordi can step in and solidify bottom pairing duty quite nicely this season, and Pateryn may not be as far away as some think.

We need to strengthen the middle pairing of our D. Diaz, Gorges, and even an aging Markov are miscast as top 4 defenders (Markov not so much but he is no longer a #1). With over half our D corps hitting free agency next year, it will be interesting to see how MB tries to shape the defense.
with emelin being out until december our top 6 is gonna be:

gorges - subban
tinordi - markov
diaz - bouillon
+ drewiske and emelin

i feel like we need a solid 5-6 like fistric to solidify our bottom pair, i really dont feel comfortable with bouillon as our 6th

Old
07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
with emelin being out until december our top 6 is gonna be:

gorges - subban
tinordi - markov
diaz - bouillon
+ drewiske and emelin

i feel like we need a solid 5-6 like fistric to solidify our bottom pair, i really dont feel comfortable with bouillon as our 6th
Yes the Emelin injury does throw a wrench into things. I wonder if the brass throws Tinordi into the fire in a top four role as you suggest. I do not think they will try to fill bottom three spots by committee. Too much smoke around the Edler and Coburn rumours. It is not that we land one of them, but it is the fact we are asking on their availability that tells me the plan to shape the defense for the future is already in the works.

You mentioned Fistric: what do you think about Smid? I like his game. Apparently MacT is not a Smid fan. I like his cap hit too..... I am unsure as to what Edmonton might be looking for in a trade.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Dada

I'd take Cleary instead.. But Morrow instead of Moen anyday

Old
07-10-2013, 12:10 AM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Yes the Emelin injury does throw a wrench into things. I wonder if the brass throws Tinordi into the fire in a top four role as you suggest. I do not think they will try to fill bottom three spots by committee. Too much smoke around the Edler and Coburn rumours. It is not that we land one of them, but it is the fact we are asking on their availability that tells me the plan to shape the defense for the future is already in the works.

You mentioned Fistric: what do you think about Smid? I like his game. Apparently MacT is not a Smid fan. I like his cap hit too..... I am unsure as to what Edmonton might be looking for in a trade.
i mentioned fistric because hes a UFA, hes someone we can go after.. trades are only gossip talk . smid would be a much better option than fistric but he's more of a top 4 player and we dont have alot of caproom left (we would also have to give up assets to get him), especially when we have to resign emelin, subban and eller next year. all we need is a cheap 5-6 replacement until emelin comes back

worse case scenario we could roll with bouillon as our 6th or maybe even drewiske. i really liked how he handled himself last season

Last edited by TT1: 07-10-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 12:41 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Very true. Your example shows that if a team with skill and heart work together anything is possible.....Det 3rd and 4th lines are average....but they play big and peruse the puck like a dog after a bone...just like the first 2 lines set as a example.

The habs did this for 3/4 of the season last year....but for what ever reason they died near the end of the year....if they can continue to do this I see no problem in them to surprise ppl

Old
07-10-2013, 12:49 AM
DaHabMan

id like it...he was one of the pens best players in the playoffs...clearly has some gas left in the tank in a third line role

Old
07-10-2013, 01:09 AM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
I would trade DD, Drewskie and Diaz for a top 4 D that can play physical. Then you can go get Morrow and I think that would be a good line up.
Lets go after Chara!

Old
07-10-2013, 01:12 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
i mentioned fistric because hes a UFA, hes someone we can go after.. trades are only gossip talk . smid would be a much better option than fistric but he's more of a top 4 player and we dont have alot of caproom left (we would also have to give up assets to get him), especially when we have to resign emelin, subban and eller next year. all we need is a cheap 5-6 replacement until emelin comes back

worse case scenario we could roll with bouillon as our 6th or maybe even drewiske. i really liked how he handled himself last season
surprised such a great D isnt signed yet

Old
07-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
If the money's good for both sides, one year of Morrow I could see. I can see Carbo helping the Habs making it happen too.

I like the idea. But like mentionned previously, we could kick Dan Cleary's tires too.

Closed Thread