HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 02:17 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Morrow had 14 pts in 15 games with Pitts before the playoffs, when he reportedly was playing quite banged up.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Morrow had 14 pts in 15 games with Pitts before the playoffs, when he reportedly was playing quite banged up.
I'm thinking that with the play style he had for years, being healthy is likely to be a relative concept with Morrow. He's probably hurting in some way or another all the time.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Morrow has serious back and shoulder issues. Even with extensive rehab and conditioning, he will always be hampered. Still, he'd be useful in front of the net on the pp and also would provide 1-3 hits a game.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:41 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I'd rather have Morrow than Jagr. If we add a top 9 forward, one has to go though. Preferably one of DD or Gio.
Gionta has his use as a responsible checking forward who can score 20.

Desharnais is depth only, should not be in top 6 or even top 9.

Even with one step lost, Gionta is much faster and can play the style we need.

Lines:
Off 1 - Bourque-Plekanec-Brière
Def 1 - Morrow-Eller-Gionta
Off 2 - Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Def 2 - Moen-Prust-Parros/White

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 07-10-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Stripper

So let's say we get Brenden Morrow... our lineup would be...

Morrow - Plekanec - Briere (that sweet 5'11 line)
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Bourque
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - ? - ?
Parros

I like the top 9 to be honest... We'll figure out what to do with Gionta once he's back..

Old
07-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Morrow and Gionta would be great. One gets hurt, the other plays. Then they'll get hurt and the other will come back. Win/win.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:49 AM
Flyinghab

A one year deal would be fine by me. Then we need to sign Fistric or Gill.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:52 AM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
A one year deal would be fine by me. Then we need to sign Fistric or Gill.
Gill is done at this point in his career

Old
07-10-2013, 06:10 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Morrow and Gionta would be great. One gets hurt, the other plays. Then they'll get hurt and the other will come back. Win/win.
Hey you might be on to something here....... would be cool to see that in the future.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:21 AM
PricePkPatch

Can someone give me the pros and cons of Jagr vs. Morrow?

Old
07-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
They're equally slow. Morrow is grittier, smaller and is injured more. Jagr is better at protecting the puck and on the PP. Jagr is great friends with Plekanec while Morrow knows nobody on the team except Halpern who is UFA. Morrow would likely cost less and be more willing to play on the third line.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Wounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I saw 80% od the Dallas games last season and while Jagr was arguably their best offensive player (followed by Ray Whitney, Benn and Eriksson), Morrow was the most critised player. Morrow was used on the PP. They put him in front of the goalie and hoped, that someone (Jagr or Benn) would hit his stick or skate and the puck would go in. Jagr is better player in every possible hockey aspect.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:51 AM
habtastic

Am cold on the prospect of Jagr and would rather have him than Morrow after watching him in the playoffs. I think the people we are "talking to" aren't faster than the statue of the Rocket we have in Centennial Plaza. I know Carbo would J in his Ps if that happened.

...talking to...oh us.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Morrow and Murray are my latest "wants" on the UFA market. They are slow. Morrow was slow and hurting. He didn't look awful for the Pens, though (nor did Murray IMHO). They maybe needed a change. Or maybe they were just going on adrenaline playoff rush and would revert back to ineffectiveness during the normal grind of the season.

But anyway, Morrow is the kind of guy who would bring grit and leadership even if he's not at his best as a player anymore. And he'd be a natural fit for the type of player occupying most of our front office positions these days.

1-year deal only, max $2M, I'd take him. He'll either be better than Colby Armstrong or on IR, worst case, and the best case is worth gambling on.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The D is not set. Maybe in bodies, but not in quality.

We have two top 4 defensemen, Subban and Markov. Then we have two tweeners that are on the boundary, but mostly have one or two solid dimensions, Diaz and Gorges.

Drewiske belongs in the press box. Tinordi, while showing some promise, is still a green rookie. Boullion is fringe depth.

There is no meat and potatoes in the middle. There is no minute eater top 4 defensemen who brings multi-dimensions to the corps (someone like Hamrlik was for us a few years ago)...
Our meat-and-potatoes, minute-eating defenceman is Emelin. In my mind, he is clearly top-4. Hopefully, Emelin will return undiminshed by December. When he does, the Habs will still need a big, mean dependable defenceman. One who--unlike Emelin--can drop the gloves when necessary.

Tinordi is a step in that direction but (rookie or not) one cannot reasonably expect him to do the job alone. Little Frankie B. is the only other source of toughness on the D-line. He has the heart of a lion but at 38-years old, is not likely to grow.

What we desperately require is a Johny Boychuk-type player. Been around. Tough as nails. (Kudos to the Bruins for sticking with Boychuk long enough that he developed into a very useful component of their defensive corps.)

Last edited by Sam I Am: 07-10-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Either Jagr or Morrow could be a good fit. I would look at Malone too if TB was willing to eat 1/4 of his cap hit. Any 1-2 year deal to buy time for Hudon McCarron LeBlanc Bozon Collberg up front would be ok. Plus if a young player steps up we could trade that player at the deadline for good return.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Lines:
Off 1 - Bourque-Plekanec-Brière
Def 1 - Morrow-Eller-Gionta
Off 2 - Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Def 2 - Moen-Prust-Parros/White
I LOVE that line-up.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The D is not set. Maybe in bodies, but not in quality.

We have two top 4 defensemen, Subban and Markov. Then we have two tweeners that are on the boundary, but mostly have one or two solid dimensions, Diaz and Gorges.

Drewiske belongs in the press box. Tinordi, while showing some promise, is still a green rookie. Boullion is fringe depth.

There is no meat and potatoes in the middle. There is no minute eater top 4 defensemen who brings multi-dimensions to the corps (someone like Hamrlik was for us a few years ago).
Gorges is top 4 on just about every team in the NHL. He's isn't an impact guy but has played big minutes for 5 years and done well. This concept that he sucks and can't play top 4 has been a result of toio much made up crap posted on here that has gone "viral" and suddenly became "fact".

With Emelin healthy the top 4 is very solid. Ideally Markov would be the " Markov of old" but he is still a good d-man when used properly(not 25 minutes a night). Diaz showed in spurts he could be a solid top 4 guy. I think he will come back and give us solid play. Ideally the mix on defense would be more physical(as in Emelin playing top 4) but I'd rather not make any panic moves as we have a slew of big/young d-men on the way.

I would still kick the tires on Coburn(ideally if the price is reasonable) Fistric or Meszaros to add depth. With Emelin potentially out 2+ months an injury to one of the top 4 could leave us thin.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:49 AM
EveryDay

Please come to Montreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patches-Plekanec-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Morrow-DD-Bourque
Prust-White-Gionta/Moen/Parros

Old
07-10-2013, 08:56 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Well...if MB figures that Morrow can be effective even on a longer term then I would be fine with a 3 year contract.

My reasoning....Morrow, if he wants to settle himself has a role player with upside, could be a nice upgrade from Moen. Moen's modified NTC ends this year.

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Danny Briere ($4.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Brenden Morrow ($3.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.722m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) / George Parros ($0.938m)

Old
07-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
Well...if MB figures that Morrow can be effective even on a longer term then I would be fine with a 3 year contract.

My reasoning....Morrow, if he wants to settle himself has a role player with upside, could be a nice upgrade from Moen. Moen's modified NTC ends this year.
Moorow has a lot more upside offensively than Moen. Would cost more AAV like 2-3 mil. I would offer him 2 years 5 mil but he can probably get around 3 elswhere. He's coming off a 6 year 24.6 mil deal.

I expect him to get 2-3 years and 3-3.3 mil AAV.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:05 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Zetterberg turns 33 at season's start, Datsyuk turns 35 this month, Franzen will be 34 two months into the season and Samuelsson will be 37, Bertuzzi is 38, Alfie is 40. Five players over 35.....with Tatar having no choice but to be in Detroit at season's start, the team will have 8 forwards under 6-0.....how can Detroit even compete this season? Their fans must be miserable about this....
This year is their last hoorah...if they get this year. Getting up there

Old
07-10-2013, 09:11 AM
WestIslander

7 x 20+ goal seasons, character, grit, heart, wife is a Montrealer and he's a winger that can play with the "kid" line, trade Moen and sign Morrow!!!

I would give him a 2 year contract, maybe even 3 if he takes less money and we can trade Desharnais for cap relief.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Briere
Morrow - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - White - Parros

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Bouilon

Price
Budaj

Old
07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Morrow has been one of my favourites for years. I'd quite like him on a short term deal to see what he can do here. Would be a great third liner who'd be able to step up when there are injuries or slumps.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I feel like we're a guy who was all cocky and thought we could get any girl, but now at this point we're just begging for anyone to touch us.

1 year deal would be fine for Morrow to see how does. Hopefully he doesn't hate PK

Closed Thread