HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The window for contending is very small and very short-lived in today's NHL. If the Oilers don't start making the playoffs, and soon, then this group of players will never contend for the Stanley Cup. Ever.
Detroit was really young overall back in the early 90s... They didnt win till 97' and stretched that to 2002 with that bunch. 2008 for a few of them.

The Oilers have plenty of time.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Jim Nill mentioned in his press conference today how important it is to have solid centers, defense and goaltending. All three are the weak points of our team, which is why I don't believe we're going anywhere anytime soon unless Craig can pull something out of his ass. The way our team is being built is very worrying to me. Guys like Yakupov, Hall and Eberle are premier players but if I could have a lineup that has say, Nuge - Benn - Sutter down the middle with some 30-40 point guys on the wings I'd take it any day over them. That's just how good teams are built.

Let's see what Craig can do, but I don't like where we're heading. Especially in the new division we will be going into. Look at Ottawa. Spezza - Turris - Zibanejad down the middle, the best defenseman in the league and two fantastic goalies. Not to mention size and grit all around their roster and now Bobby ****ing Ryan. I envy that team. I wish that's how the Oilers were built TBH.

We're stuck with small, skilled forwards, three of our 4 best players being wingers, a dreadful bottom 6, an inconsistent goalie, and an average defense right now. On top of that we suck at drafting and have limited assets to make any moves via trade, now we hear the news that MacT probably isn't going to be able to accomplish much of what he wanted and we will likely be talking about the draft instead of the playoffs yet again this year while Kevin Lowe will still be sliming his way out of our problems. Ugh.

I'm pretty much just really frustrated right now. If it were up to me trading Yak and/or Eberle for some quality depth and size would be in serious consideration at this point.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Jim Nill mentioned in his press conference today how important it is to have solid centers, defense and goaltending. All three are the weak points of our team, which is why I don't believe we're going anywhere anytime soon unless Craig can pull something out of his ass. The way our team is being built is very worrying to me. Guys like Yakupov, Hall and Eberle are premier players but if I could have a lineup that has say, Nuge - Benn - Sutter down the middle with some 30-40 point guys on the wings I'd take it any day over them. That's just how good teams are built.

Let's see what Craig can do, but I don't like where we're heading. Especially in the new division we will be going into. Look at Ottawa. Spezza - Turris - Zibanejad down the middle, the best defenseman in the league and two fantastic goalies. Not to mention size and grit all around their roster and now Bobby ****ing Ryan. I envy that team. I wish that's how the Oilers were built TBH.

We're stuck with small, skilled forwards, three of our 4 best players being wingers, a dreadful bottom 6, an inconsistent goalie, and an average defense right now. On top of that we suck at drafting and have limited assets to make any moves via trade, now we hear the news that MacT probably isn't going to be able to accomplish much of what he wanted and we will likely be talking about the draft instead of the playoffs yet again this year while Kevin Lowe will still be sliming his way out of our problems. Ugh.

I'm pretty much just really frustrated right now. If it were up to me trading Yak and/or Eberle for some quality depth and size would be in serious consideration at this point.
You'd almost have to think about it due to the reasons you gave. If Gagner can only be a bit on the larger side. I wouldnt move Yak right now for anyone really. Not after watching him the last ten games or so. Way to explosive. You are right though. Something long term has to be done up the middle. As of now though, there's not much choice. You can make a trade and fill in some spots but a big time player isnt coming back in return unless you move an Eberle. And then what do you get? It's a catch 22. They need RNH to take a major step forward and get a 3rd line guy with some size. I think that's all they can really do right now.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:02 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Too bad Hall didn't want to play centre.

Hemsky-RNH-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Boyes
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Two signings of Penner and Boyes, our team looks 10x better.

Last edited by duul: 07-10-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post

Yakupov-RNH-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Boyes
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

agreed on Penner and boyes not Hall though

Old
07-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Petes2424

Quote:

Yakupov-RNH-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Boyes
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Yak has to play on the right side. It's best for everyone involved.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:22 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Yak has to play on the right side. It's best for everyone involved.
Understandable, I guess Hemsky can play LW considering he flies around the ice and usually ends up there anyway.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post

I wouldn't deal Nail or Eberle, right now I would be offering up Gagner, Paajarvi, our 2014 and 2015 1st round picks as well as our 2nd round picks, and possibly even Smid/Petry/Marincin depending on what's coming back. Those are basically our trading chips with any kind of value. As piss poor as our organization is run/is able to lure key FA's as an opposing GM I'd be salivating at the thought of getting our next 2 first round picks because they could well be top 10 picks.

I'd be fine with another center that doesn't have the offensive abilities of Gagner but who has better defense, faceoff ability, and the ability to cycle the puck extremely well.

07-10-2013, 02:35 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I wouldn't deal Nail or Eberle, right now I would be offering up Gagner, Paajarvi, our 2014 and 2015 1st round picks as well as our 2nd round picks, and possibly even Smid/Petry/Marincin depending on what's coming back. Those are basically our trading chips with any kind of value. As piss poor as our organization is run/is able to lure key FA's as an opposing GM I'd be salivating at the thought of getting our next 2 first round picks because they could well be top 10 picks.

I'd be fine with another center that doesn't have the offensive abilities of Gagner but who has better defense, faceoff ability, and the ability to cycle the puck extremely well.
Too many assets to give up for a center like that, who do you even have in mind? Better off just signing big wingers to play with Gagner. Look at the lineup I posted, we get to keep all of our assets and let them develop while signing Penner and Boyes.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:39 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Too many assets to give up for a center like that, who do you even have in mind? Better off just signing big wingers to play with Gagner. Look at the lineup I posted, we get to keep all of our assets and let them develop while signing Penner and Boyes.
That's assuming that Hall wants to play C. Also Gagner would still get eaten alive on the road.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:44 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That's assuming that Hall wants to play C. Also Gagner would still get eaten alive on the road.
Name off some players given the traits you've listed so I have an idea of who you're talking about trading Gagner/Paajarvi/1st rounder/D prospects for. Paajarvi can't be traded right now unless we also get a talented LW in return, or else we're running with.

Hall
Joensuu
Smyth

We have lots of holes that should be filled through free agency, not by trading away pieces we need to fill other needs. Our situation is not pretty but asking MacT to trade away our #2 C and #2 LW plus picks, defence in order to get a #2 C in return is backwards at best.

Unless we trade away Eberle there is no way MacT is going to be able to improve more than one position other than free agency.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Hemsky4PM

Criticism of Boyes is crazy. We can stand to have a couple of reliable but soft players who produce in some way. We have had guys like Belanger and Petrell who did absolutely nothing at a high level. Boyes, Raymond, etc, are better players than at least 4 forwards on the Oilers, which would make them top 9 guys and worth a virtually no risk 1 year deal. There are numerous free agent forwards who would fill in nicely on 1 year deals. This team needs to make the playoffs.

I am also hugely in favor of dealing our 2014 1st to upgrade at LW or C.

I am actually ok with the D. N.Schultz was upgraded by adding Ference and Belov has to be better than Fistric and Peckham. Larsen and Klefbom could be pleasant surprises. Klefbom will be logging 20 minutes a night in the NHL by January, and it will be well earned.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Criticism of Boyes is crazy. We can stand to have a couple of reliable but soft players who produce in some way. We have had guys like Belanger and Petrell who did absolutely nothing at a high level. Boyes, Raymond, etc, are better players than at least 4 forwards on the Oilers, which would make them top 9 guys and worth a virtually no risk 1 year deal. There are numerous free agent forwards who would fill in nicely on 1 year deals. This team needs to make the playoffs.

I am also hugely in favor of dealing our 2014 1st to upgrade at LW or C.

I am actually ok with the D. N.Schultz was upgraded by adding Ference and Belov has to be better than Fistric and Peckham. Larsen and Klefbom could be pleasant surprises. Klefbom will be logging 20 minutes a night in the NHL by January, and it will be well earned.
Let's talk about a couple of left wingers that you'd trade the 2014 1st for....

Vanek??? I probably would
Clifford???? I dunno
Steen???? Possibly
Perron??? I dunno

Who were you thinking

Old
07-10-2013, 02:55 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Let's talk about a couple of left wingers that you'd trade the 2014 1st for....

Vanek??? I probably would
Clifford???? I dunno
Steen???? Possibly
Perron??? I dunno

Who were you thinking
Something with the 1st rounder for Pacioretty. Would have no problem including Eberle in that deal if we got someone like Emelin in return as well.

Eberle
2014 1st rounder

Pacioretty
Emelin
Bourque

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Pacioretty-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Gordon-Bourque
Joensuu-Lander-Brown

Emelin-J.Schultz
Ference-Petry
Smid-Belov

Suddenly our team is much tougher, bigger, and more balanced. Would even add prospects or something small to even out that trade if it isn't already.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:02 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Well, you all wanted Horcoff gone and now you don't like our depth at C.

Nice.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:08 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

And why on earth would an already small team trade Pac? Makes 0 sense.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Something with the 1st rounder for Pacioretty. Would have no problem including Eberle in that deal if we got someone like Emelin in return as well.

Eberle
2014 1st rounder

Pacioretty
Emelin
Bourque

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Pacioretty-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Gordon-Bourque
Joensuu-Lander-Brown

Emelin-J.Schultz
Ference-Petry
Smid-Belov

Suddenly our team is much tougher, bigger, and more balanced. Would even add prospects or something small to even out that trade if it isn't already.
I dont think the value is off at all and it's very fair. The Habs though have the same problem and this would just add more midget element for them. I like Pacioretty a lot though.

What about Sobotka and Steen in a deal? Wont have to give up Eberle. In fact I think you can get the deal for a couple of Prospects and that #1 just because St Louis is gonna have to dump a couple guys. They'd be good prospects no doubt but I think it could be done. Sobotka is that guy at C who is evolving as we speak and Steen is a really nice player.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:12 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
And why on earth would an already small team trade Pac? Makes 0 sense.
I took that into account, and figured Eberle would be enough to offset that factor. Could also throw in one of our many defensive prospects.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Ice Whole

http://oilersnation.com/2013/7/9/mac...e-hes-done-yet

Decent read from Brownlee. We all know MacT isn't done yet, well he says he isn't but we don't know what those one or two moves are. Best case scenario is bringing in a top pairing dmen and adds a couple 3rd line wingers. To be honest, I would be perfectly happy if he brought in two solid third line wingers. I would have no problem with our offseason if he manages to do that. The only thing I hate is how bad our bottom 6 is. I like our defence a lot more than last year, we added a top 4 dmen, Schultz hopefully develops more and if the hype around Belov is true, we could potentially have five 3-4 defencemens. We also have more depth as well with Larsen, Potter and potentially Klefbom and maybe even Marincin. I just hate our bottom 6 right now. It's mainly that third line. Adding a guy like say Antropov and one of Prospal, Boyes, Brunner, Penner or even Raymond and we look much better. We just need something to happen to improve it. There's also the Hemsky trade, so I guess we'll see what happens there.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Pääjärvi-Lander-Joensuu
Brown-Gordon-Jones
Smyth/????

Smid-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Belov-N.Schultz
Klefbom/Marincin/Gernat/Musil

If we would sign Antropov and Penner, we would have a good top 9. Hemsky (salary retained) could be packaged with one of Marincin/Gernat/Musil and a pick (2014 1st) for an upgrade on D. Don't know which players are available, but that package isn't bad.

Then sign players like Mueller, Latandresse and Steckel. Buy out Smyth.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Yakupov
Pääjärvi-Antropov-Joensuu
Brown-Gordon-Jones
Lander/Mueller/Steckel/Latandresse

Smid-Petry
*UPGRADE*-Schultz
Ference-N.Schultz
Belov/Klefbom/Gernat/Musil

I would like that and the depth and it would not cost a lot of assets.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:02 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

Hemsky-RNH-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Boyes
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

I agree with the Penner and Boyes ideas. Penner especially would be a welcome addition to this line up and I think given the way his Hollywood dream went sour (except for the Cup of course) he'd welcome a move back to Edmonton. Sadly its probably a non-starter given the history between MacT and Penner.

That said, any roster that features MPS on the second line isn't near good enough.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
AJGass4

Why on god's green earth would you have Hemmer on the first line?

Old
07-10-2013, 08:36 AM
DousedInOil

For everyone praising Dallas, their bottom six looks like this:

Cole-Eakin-Chiasson
Roussel-Fiddler-MacDermid/Garbutt

If we add 2 more third liners via Hemsky and trades, we aren't exactly far off.

Paajarvi > Cole
Gordon > Eakins
Jones > Macdermid
Brown > Garbutt
Joesnuu = Roussel

Get a guy like Boyle or Smith on return for Hemsky then trade for Clifford.

Clifford-Gordon-Paajarvi
Jones-Smith-Brown
Joesnuu-Smyth

Old
07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
For everyone praising Dallas, their bottom six looks like this:

Cole-Eakin-Chiasson
Roussel-Fiddler-MacDermid/Garbutt

If we add 2 more third liners via Hemsky and trades, we aren't exactly far off.

Paajarvi > Cole
Gordon > Eakins
Jones > Macdermid
Brown > Garbutt
Joesnuu = Roussel

Get a guy like Boyle or Smith on return for Hemsky then trade for Clifford.

Clifford-Gordon-Paajarvi
Jones-Smith-Brown
Joesnuu-Smyth
I wouldn't count Cole out. A vet who was hurt by the lockout. The guy could score 30 this year. But yes I agree with the rest.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Well, you all wanted Horcoff gone and now you don't like our depth at C.

Nice.
Don't forget Horcoff wanted to be gone as well

Closed Thread