HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Optimism Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 02:45 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
This thread might be a necessary sanctuary until next season actually starts.

The signing of Clarkson has turned into a sign of the apocalypse in some parts .

Looking forward to seeing this group take another step forward against a tough division.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Number13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

The signing of Clarkson has turned into a sign of the apocalypse in some parts .

Looking forward to seeing this group take another step forward against a tough division.
Me too.

And I'll keep posting here as it seems a lot of people are still hell bent on complaining, it's so exhausting.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Who needs optimism? We have Optimus!

Seriously, though, my main optimistic thought for this year is the thought of seeing McClement-Bolland-Clarkson out on the ice at the same time hitting everything that moves before crashing the net and scoring a goal.

That, and figuring out time travel and getting a 30 year old Mats Sundin to centre our top line.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:56 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Gosh I hope not. No need to play him like 10 minutes a game or sit him for a few games in a row till someone starts crapping the bed. If he's playing in Toronto, he needs a top 4 role IMO.

I agree, Rielly is far and ahead of Schenn at the same age. He's got a shot, unreal vision, great skating abilities. Schenn had none of those things.
The leafs developement guys today might be having the same read on Rielly.They think he has developed as much as is possible in Moosejaw possible he can take the next step.

@markhmasters: Leafs player development dir Hughes says team wants Biggs to 'command a spot & not wait for it to be given to him, but to take it'
5 hours ago

@markhmasters: Leafs' Hughes on Tyler Biggs: 'Heís got a chance to take ownership in the group now & take a spot especially with a new coach [Carlyle]'
5 hours ago

@markhmasters: Hughes admits it's possible Rielly has outgrown jr hockey, but since AHL isn't an option the team may have a tough call to make come Sept
5 hours ago

@markhmasters: Asked Leafs dir of player development Jim Hughes if its fair for Rielly to set NHL as goal for Oct: 'Itís a very fair goal without a doubt'

Morgan might have to learn the hard way here by being thrown to the dogs type of developement with no pressure applied of course if that happens to be the course they have to follow.

It is not something anyone wants to do to a player but with the AHL not a option its the best choice.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:22 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Ya we had a good year, actually had a 1st round pick whilst adding some nice pieces. I'm looking forward to next season.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Ya we had a good year, actually had a 1st round pick whilst adding some nice pieces. I'm looking forward to next season.
Gards having his mojo back and Kadri starting the season as the second line center with proven vets in Clarkson/Lupes is enough for me to be happy and excited to see get going.

The top 2 lines are going to rock.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:30 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

The idiot Mirtle article thread on Clarkson was a f@$kin gong show.

Old
07-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post

Cody Franson with a breakout year.
Coupled with his low, hard, accurate shot, he continues to improve his skating and physical game. When he wants to hit someone, they usually end up on their a$$, he's a big boy. Franson was probably the most quiet Leaf defenseman to crack the top 10 (8th) in defenseman scoring that I can remember.
Great thread.

Just wanted to add how impressed I was with Cody especially in game seven. He came up huge for us, but unfortunately our whole team shat the bed. I feel like this guy doesn't get enough credit around here. 6'5 defenseman who has a booming shot, good vision, and physical, are quite rare. He's only a month away from being 26, just finished in the top 10 D scoring AND hits. Yet I still see people put him on the third pairing. If Cody is given the right opportunity, I believe he will surprise a lot of people. I'm praying that we can work out something long-term with him, I really wouldn't blame him though, if he wanted something short-term so he could take advantage of all fat cheques general managers are handing out.

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

Solid top four, we just need a bottom pairing guy, and I really hope Carlyle's experiment with Holzer is over, cool name and all, but **** does he suck.

Hennig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Great thread.

Just wanted to add how impressed I was with Cody especially in game seven. He came up huge for us, but unfortunately our whole team shat the bed. I feel like this guy doesn't get enough credit around here. 6'5 defenseman who has a booming shot, good vision, and physical, are quite rare. He's only a month away from being 26, just finished in the top 10 D scoring AND hits. Yet I still see people put him on the third pairing. If Cody is given the right opportunity, I believe he will surprise a lot of people. I'm praying that we can work out something long-term with him, I really wouldn't blame him though, if he wanted something short-term so he could take advantage of all fat cheques general managers are handing out.

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

Solid top four, we just need a bottom pairing guy, and I really hope Carlyle's experiment with Holzer is over, cool name and all, but **** does he suck.
Can't be understated. I would lock him up long term in the $5 mil range if Nonis can make it fit. I don't think he's reached his full potential yet either, I think he'll get more physical as he ages.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Number13

Re: Hughes on Reilly at Prospect Camp

I really don't think they want to send Reilly back to junior. The fact that Jim Hughes said he's probably grown out of junior, tells me they'll try to make him fit, as long as he comes in and plays fairly solid at camp. Hughes also mentioned how solid Reilly is on his skates, and how he doesn't get knocked off the puck.

It got me thinking of potential lineups with Reilly in it, how does this look?

Quote:
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
McClement - Bolland - Kulemin
Orr - Colborne - D'amigo
Extra: McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Reilly - Fraser
Extra: Liles, Brennan

Reimer
Bernier
The D Pairs:

#1: Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
An obvious pair. Familiarity with one another and both can log pretty safe minutes against elite competition. Just as long as we can stagger the D minutes to keep them under 25 minutes a night. I expect nothing less than another solid season from these two.

#2: Gardiner - Franson
Franson is more of an outlet pass defenseman than a rusher, which will allow Gardiner to skate the puck out to counter attack. Both will be calm with the puck behind the net, and Franson is learning to use his size to his advantage more in the D zone. If one of our top 2 lines gets the cycle going in the other team's end, this pairing could be deadly. Teams will have to respect both Franson's and Reilly's ability to sneak in for the back door play, as well as Franson's bomb from the point and Gardiner's rushing/passing ability. Juicy.

#3: Reilly - Fraser
Reilly would be given the green light to go for a rush if he sees it, as long as he's got a guy like Fraser playing next to him. Fraser's no-nonsense D will be a steadying presence for Reilly, who will need to feel comfortable to play to his strengths in the bigs. Hopefully we lock Fraser up, I'm obviously acting under the impression we will get something done. But if he comes back, you know what you're getting. Rock solid, tough minutes that really wear down opposing forwards. There aren't many more Dmen in the league that are scarier than Fraser when he doesn't like you.