HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

2013-2014 Season Roster Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Pretty lightweight interview, but that's about what I expect from Roc and Manuch Phoenix radio stations.
One thing I found interesting was the discussion about Boedker and the possibility that he may elect to go arbitration. He also mentioned that Boeds wants term and DM seemed to hint that if he wants term he needs to take less money which is apparently what Korpikoski did. As for arbitration, apparently tomorrow is the deadline so we should know more then.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
While I like Fidler, I don't see us giving up Klesla for a 4th line player. Klesla is a top 4 D men and should return us a top 6 forward in a trade. I still see us signing a top 6 UFA or trading our D depth for a top 6 forward. If it does not happen now, it will happen before training camp, or maybe 20-30 games into the season. I think DM will be smart to be patient to get the right guy/right fit.

No need to do anything rash at this point or fill a top 6 hole with stop gaps, like Lombardi/Sullivan. We are in a different position now and the phone is ringing with players that will play here. If you are a 10 year vet with an NMC, what better place to move your family too then Scottsdale? You can leave in the summer and a great place to live during the season. Lots of options coming for DM and the cap shrinking will help too...
Klesla averaged the 5th most ice time amongst d-men, though. Our top 4 all averaged above 20 mins, and Klesla averaged 17 and change. Plus, we gave Columbus Upshall and Lepisto, both of whom I would put toward the bottom end of the top 9 forwards or 6 d-men. And Tippett stated in years past that when he needed energy, he would pair Fiddler with players that "needed a little giddyup" in their game. Fiddler and a 2nd for Klesla could be done, and I would take that in a second

Old
07-09-2013, 09:26 PM
jdfitz12

I saw Tip's interview on first day of prospect camp and he stated that next week they would sit down and review roster options.
Doesn't look like anything is gonna happen soon....

Stay thirsty my friends ...

Old
07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Would you guys do Hemsky at 50% for Klesla?
At this point, yes. Mostly because I'd like to make room for Rundblad and not because I love Hemsky for Klesla.

Old
07-09-2013, 09:39 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
A name that I haven't seen here but have heard in rumours (and I don't think they'll deal him, but rumours are what they are): Marchand.

I'd move a hurtload to add him to this core.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yeah Maloney is pretty clearly not all that impressed with any remaining UFAs that's he's got a shot at. At least not for the top six. Wouldn't be surprised if we add a 4th liner (I'm still waiting for Halischuk, it just fits). Any top six help will come via trade. And it absolutely sounds like he does expect to add another top six via trade.

07-10-2013, 01:51 AM
DesertDawg

Rumor of Jagr to the 'Canes and they need to free up their cap. Skinner or Pitkanen are the 2 possible contracts to be moved (without asking a player to waive their no trade clause). Pitkanen would leave a hole in their defense.

Skinner for Gormley?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

I'd love to add Skinner's offensive ability, but I don't think he's a Tippett type player. His defense is subpar, I'd rather go for someone less gifted who fits the team concept better.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:00 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I'd love to add Skinner's offensive ability, but I don't think he's a Tippett type player. His defense is subpar, I'd rather go for someone less gifted who fits the team concept better.
I could see him as a Ray Whitney's replacement. IMO, a better fit than Connolly (from the other thread)!

Old
07-10-2013, 02:17 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

If Skinner came here, he wouldn't be just a Whitney replacement, he is a franchise winger. It would take a lot more than just Gormley to get him. Gormley has never played an NHL game, Skinner scored 31 goals in his rookie season.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:27 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
he is a franchise winger.
Never been a PPG guy, despite the Canes basically letting him cherrypick 24/7. Not a fan, and not a franchise wing. Vanek is a franchise winger.

Quote:
Skinner scored 31 goals in his rookie season.
That's great and all, but he is already full price at $5.7 million. There's attitude concerns there, and crap like the stomping that just won't fly in the room here. His value in trade is not what you'd normally associate with a 30 goal scoring 21 year old. The price is more than what was suggested, but not as high as you'd think.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:10 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Decided on getting a Stone jersey next year... I love everything about him. Except his birthplace and the face he looks like Kyle Turris.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:14 AM
IPreferPi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I could see him as a Ray Whitney's replacement. IMO, a better fit than Connolly (from the other thread)!
Connolly can be had for *way* cheaper (in terms of salary), and without moving Gormley either.

Looks like Bolts HFers are receptive to Klesla + Rundblad for Malone + Connolly. Probably as good as it gets for a return involving those two at this point in time. Should be a salary neutral trade. Forwards could then look something like

Malone - Ribiero - Doan
Boedker - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpikoski - Vermette - Moss
Klinkhammer - Chipchura - Brown

with Connolly waiting in the wings (in Portland at beginning of the season, though I think he can start immediately on the 3rd) and a potential Domi - Dauphin - Connolly scoring line a few seasons down the road. Not too shabby.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 07-10-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Never been a PPG guy, despite the Canes basically letting him cherrypick 24/7. Not a fan, and not a franchise wing. Vanek is a franchise winger.

That's great and all, but he is already full price at $5.7 million. There's attitude concerns there, and crap like the stomping that just won't fly in the room here. His value in trade is not what you'd normally associate with a 30 goal scoring 21 year old. The price is more than what was suggested, but not as high as you'd think.
His contract should not be the determining factor on whether or not he is a franchise winger. He may not be a PPG, but he has 131 points in 188 games as a 21 year old. He and Thomas Vanek had near the same amount of points after their first 188 games. I don't know what's not to like. He's going to be a great NHL player for the rest of his career. If Vanek is a franchise winger, which he is, Skinner is on his way to be. It will take a significant amount to pry him out of Carolina, IMO. You don't just give up a player like that for a prospect that has played 0 games and a roster player/draft pick.

in nowadays NHL, many players are known/rumored to have attitude problems. Look at Seguin, didn't drop his trade value a bit.

Last edited by Rabbit: 07-10-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
His contract should not be the determining factor on whether or not he is a franchise winger. He may not be a PPG, but he has 131 points in 188 games as a 21 year old. He and Thomas Vanek had near the same amount of points after their first 188 games. I don't know what's not to like. He's going to be a great NHL player for the rest of his career. If Vanek is a franchise winger, which he is, Skinner is on his way to be. It will take a significant amount to pry him out of Carolina, IMO. You don't just give up a player like that for a prospect that has played 0 games and a roster player/draft pick.

in nowadays NHL, many players are known/rumored to have attitude problems. Look at Seguin, didn't drop his trade value a bit.
I'd be more worried about Skinner's injury issues than his attitude. Plus I imagine Carolina would want Yandle in return and no way I'd do that.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:53 AM
IPreferPi

Quote:

I like Skinner but basically we'd now have to trade Yandle to afford him, which would defeat the purpose of the Canes attempting to make room for Jagr. And Skinner isn't worth Yandle straight up for our purposes.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
IPreferPi

Looks like Vrby is lobbying for Hejduk:

Quote:
Avs European FanClub ‏@Eurolanche 17m
According to Radim Vrbata, Phoenix Coyotes have interest in Milan Hejduk, Czech website iSport reports. #Avs

Old
07-10-2013, 09:38 AM

I wonder if you could see Hejduk on the Hanzal-Vrbata line. It would be an interesting try, but Hejduk seems like he's really on the decline. I wouldn't want to throw much money at him, but it might be a decent late-career project.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

That's all good and I support it, but Don was pretty darn dismissive of all remaining UFAs.

Hejduk of four years ago was IDEAL for that Ribeiro line. The epitome of sneaky, opportunistic sniper.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:19 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I wonder if you could see Hejduk on the Hanzal-Vrbata line. It would be an interesting try, but Hejduk seems like he's really on the decline. I wouldn't want to throw much money at him, but it might be a decent late-career project.
At this point he's a poor man's Vrbata. He's never been one to carry the play or distribute the puck like Ray Whitney. He's the kind of guy that Ray Whitney likes to get the puck to.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
IPreferPi

The Rags resigned Hagelin, thus eliminating a potential (and for some, ideal) trade target for Rundblad.

But on the other side of the Big Apple, I wonder if Moulson is available. One year left @ 3.9M. Would be perfect for Ribs if we can make the numbers work by trading Klesla for him.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM
PhoPhan

I'm all for bringing in Hejduk on a one-year deal in the $1.5 million range. I don't think we can draw much from last year anyway (playing in a weird shortened season on an awful team with no minutes), but I figure he'd contribute less than Whitney but at least a little more than Sullivan. On this anemic powerplay, a finisher like Hejduk could do some damage (especially if he's out there with Ribeiro).

Old
07-10-2013, 10:23 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That's all good and I support it, but Don was pretty darn dismissive of all remaining UFAs.

Hejduk of four years ago was IDEAL for that Ribeiro line. The epitome of sneaky, opportunistic sniper.
He was dismissive of what they were asking for, but he knows that waiting around a little means some of them will accept a lot less.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
At this point he's a poor man's Vrbata. He's never been one to carry the play or distribute the puck like Ray Whitney. He's the kind of guy that Ray Whitney likes to get the puck to.
I don't even think he's like Vrbata-lite anymore. Not much speed left, but given space and time he'll probably still get you 15-20 goals if he's healthy. I think he's more like Wojtek Wolski at this point. But at 1.5 like Pho said, you can't really go wrong.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
The Rags resigned Hagelin, thus eliminating a potential (and for some, ideal) trade target for Rundblad.

But on the other side of the Big Apple, I wonder if Moulson is available. One year left @ 3.9M. Would be perfect for Ribs if we can make the numbers work by trading Klesla for him.
The Hagelin signing is probably a blessing in disguise. Boedker doesn't deserve one penny more. Gaveling has had the more effective NHL career to this point. As has Korpikoski. They got 2.25 and 2.5 mil/avg respectively. Boedker can't possibly believe he's above that range by some form of top ten selection magic, can be? We've got pretty clear comps, in these two. He needs to get his ass signed.

Closed Thread