HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs inquire about Alex Edler...

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Riggins

vCash: 500
I don't think many of you know much about Edler. As a Habs fan from Vancouver I think I have a better read on this. Edler has struggled with consistency (especially last year) but he's still a very good defenceman. His value is higher than Plekanec's, who while a good two-way player, I find to generally be overrated by Habs fans.

That move straight up would make a lot of sense for the Habs, mostly for the purposes of getting an eventual Markov replacement. So actually, I'd rather do this trade in a year when some of our other players are more ready to thrive at center (Galchenyuk, Eller) and Markov is another year older and a free agent.

It makes no sense for the Canucks. Trade one of your best D for a new third line center behind Henrik and Kesler? Yeah right.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:19 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I'm sorry but over the past two years he's shown a steady decline from his one truly elite year (when the Canucks went to the cup finals). He is a 5 tool player, don't get me wrong, but he is a turnover machine these days and most Canucks fans have soured on the guy pretty hard.

He's still a top flight defenseman in my eyes, and if the price is right i would definitely take a chance on him, but the Edler you're describing is just not the same guy who suited up for the canucks this past season.
I have a hard time using last year as a true representation of any player in the NHL. I don't believe it's a fair measurement, and doesn't give accurate results. For instance in 2011-12 he has 49 pts in 82 games, and the previous year he has 33 pts in 51 games, and the year prior her had 42 pts in 76 games. I don't really see the negative trend, and the fact he's 27, I think he may have more then a few more years left. I think if the habs could land him, it would increase our D by quite a lot, at the end of the day that's my opinion.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:25 AM
dunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
I have a hard time using last year as a true representation of any player in the NHL. I don't believe it's a fair measurement, and doesn't give accurate results. For instance in 2011-12 he has 49 pts in 82 games, and the previous year he has 33 pts in 51 games, and the year prior her had 42 pts in 76 games. I don't really see the negative trend, and the fact he's 27, I think he may have more then a few more years left. I think if the habs could land him, it would increase our D by quite a lot, at the end of the day that's my opinion.
And it's a very fair assessment I base my opinion soley on Plekanec value to the Habs. edler has always had the blonde moments though but his general play is very good.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:27 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count of DannyKristo View Post
I don't think many of you know much about Edler. As a Habs fan from Vancouver I think I have a better read on this. Edler has struggled with consistency (especially last year) but he's still a very good defenceman. His value is higher than Plekanec's, who while a good two-way player, I find to generally be overrated by Habs fans.

That move straight up would make a lot of sense for the Habs, mostly for the purposes of getting an eventual Markov replacement. So actually, I'd rather do this trade in a year when some of our other players are more ready to thrive at center (Galchenyuk, Eller) and Markov is another year older and a free agent.

It makes no sense for the Canucks. Trade one of your best D for a new third line center behind Henrik and Kesler? Yeah right.
You say 3rd line C, like he's a bottom 9 player. He's between a #1 and #2. I could see him out play Kesler for that #2 line, he does everything for the most part. He isn't overrated at all, one of the most complete players on this team.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:27 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
And it's a very fair assessment I base my opinion soley on Plekanec value to the Habs. edler has always had the blonde moments though but his general play is very good.
I have no interest in getting rid of Pleks.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
A lot of people were down on Markov this year but I thought that with lesser ice-time and having a year of hockey under his belt he would be fine next year. Also thought that since he loves Montreal so much that he would be someone we could easily sign and not worry about him being UFA after this season. We would therefore have the time to work Nathan B into the line-up. However, MB maybe looking at Letang and certainly looks like he was interested in Edler tells me MB would rather move on from Markov. As well, if you had Edler don't see where Diaz would fit and maybe even Nathan B because I could see him as being part of the trade for Edler.
I don't see this as MB not thinking we need a big crease clearer, more of him thinking about our PMDs in the future. Edler also plays lots of minutes. Looks like trying to copy cat Chicago D.
seriously if your down on Markov(not saying you are but tired of reading all the crap) because of last season you need help. He was a top scoring D man in the whole league last year. Coming back from his surgeries i think he had a terrific season.

Now i bet he feels real good the strength in his knees as they held up fine, and he should have another real good season as his game can translate well if he loses a step. He is still a superb puck moving defenceman and a great pp quarteback, at the top of the league good.

So lay off my man Markov, he is a true soldier and a loyal one to boot.

I hope he finishes his career in Montreal as captain.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:01 AM
hockeyman*

Don't get blinded by love, he's a definite top 4. Have you seen him skate? In front of the net? I hope he has a great season, and by no means I wanna see him gone. He doesn't seem to be the same, he has an awful first step now.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
THE HOFF

plekanec for edler ? how ****ing dumb is that. I personally wouldn't come close to put anything of value on the table. bournival, moen and a 5th would be as far as I would go, and the nucks would have to beg. If you trade plek, (which I won't) you have to package him to get something good, not an overpaid and overvalued Dman. 5 m per until 2018-2019 are you kidding me. has he turned elite overnight ?

Old
07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
Well I would counter with the fact that his stats do not really paint a picture of the drastic difference in Edler's game from 2010-11 to today. I think the consistency in his point totals has alot to do with the stacked regular season team that the Canucks have iced over the past 3 or 4 seasons. While its a subtle and often misleading stat, looking at Edler's decrease in +/- over the past two seasons, i think, paints an accurate picture of just how sharp a decline his 5 on 5 play has been. Same as Count of Danny Kristo, I'm a Habs fan living in Vancouver and quite honestly I have never seen a fanbase turn on a player as drastically or as fervently as Canucks fans have on Edler. Two years ago he was their savior, today they can't get him out of town quick enough.

I think the real reason is the things that Edler did incredibly well up to two seasons ago are now seen as his biggest drawbacks. Those being his poise with the puck and his two-way ability. I'm not sure what happened to the guy, but all of a sudden he's become a panicky, myopic, liability on defense who relies on his natural ability more than he should. He was on the cusp of being elite (which is why he got that contract) but then regressed in areas that he should be progressing in as his career moves forward.

Again, i still think he's a fantastic defenseman and if he turns it around, has the tools to be elite in this league, but the past few seasons have just been awful for his development. The Canucks would definitely be selling low if they traded Edler now, which is why i think there really isn't a deal to be made.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:54 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You're better than Bouillon.
yea but can he flavour soup so effectively?!? i think not

Old
07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
bournival, moen and a 5th would be as far as I would go, and the nucks would have to beg.
Quote:
how ****ing dumb is that.

I fixed the order of your sentences for you.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Well I would counter with the fact that his stats do not really paint a picture of the drastic difference in Edler's game from 2010-11 to today. I think the consistency in his point totals has alot to do with the stacked regular season team that the Canucks have iced over the past 3 or 4 seasons. While its a subtle and often misleading stat, looking at Edler's decrease in +/- over the past two seasons, i think, paints an accurate picture of just how sharp a decline his 5 on 5 play has been. Same as Count of Danny Kristo, I'm a Habs fan living in Vancouver and quite honestly I have never seen a fanbase turn on a player as drastically or as fervently as Canucks fans have on Edler. Two years ago he was their savior, today they can't get him out of town quick enough.

I think the real reason is the things that Edler did incredibly well up to two seasons ago are now seen as his biggest drawbacks. Those being his poise with the puck and his two-way ability. I'm not sure what happened to the guy, but all of a sudden he's become a panicky, myopic, liability on defense who relies on his natural ability more than he should. He was on the cusp of being elite (which is why he got that contract) but then regressed in areas that he should be progressing in as his career moves forward.

Again, i still think he's a fantastic defenseman and if he turns it around, has the tools to be elite in this league, but the past few seasons have just been awful for his development. The Canucks would definitely be selling low if they traded Edler now, which is why i think there really isn't a deal to be made.
I don't know how many times that I have to say this but EDLER IS NOT HEALTHY!

Chronic shoulder problems and a bulging disc in his back have severely affected his game over the last few seasons. For all of the geeks who think they can kind find this info through games missed due to injury.....you won't find much evidence as he generally tries to play through it which explains his diminishing effectiveness.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:59 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
seriously if your down on Markov(not saying you are but tired of reading all the crap) because of last season you need help. He was a top scoring D man in the whole league last year. Coming back from his surgeries i think he had a terrific season.

Now i bet he feels real good the strength in his knees as they held up fine, and he should have another real good season as his game can translate well if he loses a step. He is still a superb puck moving defenceman and a great pp quarteback, at the top of the league good.

So lay off my man Markov, he is a true soldier and a loyal one to boot.

I hope he finishes his career in Montreal as captain.
Just check out my first sentence, I love The General, both in his play over the years and his clear loyalty to this team. As I said, I thought Markov could play for us for some more years and allow Nathan B to develop into hopefully a top 4 PMD. Im not looking at moving him, just saying that IF MB is looking at trading for an Edler, Letang or Coburn, that I don't see Markov staying.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
yea but can he flavour soup so effectively?!? i think not
I said yes, but if it would taste good, that's a whole 'nother story.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:30 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
With the rumoured interest in Letang and now Edler, I'm not sure I get where Bergevin is going with this defense. We need a guy who can clear the crease. We've got the puck moving covered.

An earlier tweet (forget from who) said Gillis wasn't getting much interest on Bieksa. That's the player I'd be trying to go after if I was looking at Vancouver.

Besides, Gillis is apparently asking the moon for Edler. No thanks.

Bieksa as to be the NHL biggest p.u.s.s.y

Old
07-09-2013, 10:20 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I fixed the order of your sentences for you.
thanks a lot. glad to know you'd do plek for edler ... or that you think edler has a cap friendly contract for what he brings. I'd put those milions on subban and a better pick up UFA/ or young player. it was not so much about saying edler was a bad player, its more about the idea of having him tied up to this contract in a cap world. Really ties your hands for a couple of years. to get strangled by the cap for that kind of player, I wouldn't be willing to give anything of value. that's probably where we disagreed.

feel free to reorganize the sentences the way u like . you did make me laugh

Old
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
GrindNMuck

What's up with all these Hab's threads about them looking at all these players? especially players with high contracts? They cannot afford that. Unless they make a big trade. I just read one about how they are looking into Brendan Morrow. And this one is about Edler...

-CapGeek.com shows the Canadians have about 4 million dollars in cap space. Thats not enough for Morrow he wants probably around 3.5-4.2 million. Edler on the other hand has another big contract. If they plan on trading someone like Plekanec,Gorges or something than were talking different. But NO this is not true.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
What's up with all these Hab's threads about them looking at all these players? especially players with high contracts? They cannot afford that. Unless they make a big trade. I just read one about how they are looking into Brendan Morrow. And this one is about Edler...

-CapGeek.com shows the Canadians have about 4 million dollars in cap space. Thats not enough for Morrow he wants probably around 3.5-4.2 million. Edler on the other hand has another big contract. If they plan on trading someone like Plekanec,Gorges or something than were talking different. But NO this is not true.
If these rumours are true (I wouldn't doubt LeBrun), that means Montreal is also in the market to move bodies with salaries.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Edler - Nygren... GO!

But in all seriousness, Edler comes with some fairly serious question marks.

edit: And in further seriousness, I'd imagine it would be Gorges or Markov going the other way if it ever happened. Not sure how I'd feel about that.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 07-09-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 12:21 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I don't know how many times that I have to say this but EDLER IS NOT HEALTHY!

Chronic shoulder problems and a bulging disc in his back have severely affected his game over the last few seasons. For all of the geeks who think they can kind find this info through games missed due to injury.....you won't find much evidence as he generally tries to play through it which explains his diminishing effectiveness.
This is in fact Edler's situation and Canuck fans are acutely aware of his injuries. Gillis is well known for his lack of tact in regards to players health, just ask Cody Hodgson. Cody had the bulging disc problem in his back when drafted and Gillis wanted him to play through his pain even though it might have ended his career.

Anything that benefits Gillis is great and screw everyone else. I have a sneaky feeling that Mike is trying to unload all of his problems on the Habs. Possibly using the draft pick acquired trading Schneider (Bo Horvat) a player the Habs covet in a bigger deal encompassing Edler, disgruntled goalie Luongo, Bo Horvat + 2014 1st round pick.

Coming the other way probably Price, Plekanec and Markov. Truly a great deal for Gillis, solving Edler's( NTC and bad back & shoulders) Luongo's ( bad contract and hatred for the abuse Gillis showered upon him) and Bo Horvat & 1st (the bait in the trap for Bergevin and the Habs) While the Habs are thinking the deal is quite good for all concerned, giving both teams a good chance at winning the SC.

If I'm Bergevin, make sure Dudley and a battery of Dr.s are there examining Edler, before consummating any deal with Dobie Gillis. There is a good chance Dobie's ready to slip you the shiv as soon as you relax! Just a warning from a Hab fan in the know on the West Coast.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:45 AM
TT1

you know what your getting with edler if he stays healthy, dude is a rock and he also has a solid offencive game.

full stats for the past 2 seasons: (ctrl + f then type edler)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2011/new_...=10&team=&pos=

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2012/new_...=10&team=&pos=

those are fantastic seasons

Old
07-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
This is in fact Edler's situation and Canuck fans are acutely aware of his injuries. Gillis is well known for his lack of tact in regards to players health, just ask Cody Hodgson. Cody had the bulging disc problem in his back when drafted and Gillis wanted him to play through his pain even though it might have ended his career.

Anything that benefits Gillis is great and screw everyone else. I have a sneaky feeling that Mike is trying to unload all of his problems on the Habs. Possibly using the draft pick acquired trading Schneider (Bo Horvat) a player the Habs covet in a bigger deal encompassing Edler, disgruntled goalie Luongo, Bo Horvat + 2014 1st round pick.

Coming the other way probably Price, Plekanec and Markov. Truly a great deal for Gillis, solving Edler's( NTC and bad back & shoulders) Luongo's ( bad contract and hatred for the abuse Gillis showered upon him) and Bo Horvat & 1st (the bait in the trap for Bergevin and the Habs) While the Habs are thinking the deal is quite good for all concerned, giving both teams a good chance at winning the SC.

If I'm Bergevin, make sure Dudley and a battery of Dr.s are there examining Edler, before consummating any deal with Dobie Gillis. There is a good chance Dobie's ready to slip you the shiv as soon as you relax! Just a warning from a Hab fan in the know on the West Coast.
If Schneider was worth Bo Horvat, Price would be worth Horvat + a 1st with Luongo having no value so he would be a free throw-in and I'd rather keep Plekanec and Markov or trade them for someone else.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:25 AM
HABS win CUPS*

Hehehe everyone want Plekanec! He's ours! forever !!!!!!

Old
07-10-2013, 04:52 AM
Habarazzi

Quote:
plekanec for edler ? how ****ing dumb is that. I personally wouldn't come close to put anything of value on the table. bournival, moen and a 5th would be as far as I would go, and the nucks would have to beg. If you trade plek, (which I won't) you have to package him to get something good, not an overpaid and overvalued Dman. 5 m per until 2018-2019 are you kidding me. has he turned elite overnight ?

100% agree ... Don't need this type of D at that price, and for Plekanec of all people.

Can't understand how some of you are pinning your hopes on Eller ever developing as a bonafide #2 center. Listen I like him also but he just doesn't have good enough scoring skills. I think he is best suited as an excellent #3 shutdown guy and a very good PK guy

Old
07-10-2013, 05:23 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
Hehehe everyone want Plekanec! He's ours! forever !!!!!!
The only reason I would trade Pleky is if the return is extravagand, and we improve our team long-term through the trade. It has nothing to do with "I don't like him" or "I think our team is better without him", because both of these things are false.

Kind of a Kessel-like trade. I want something good in return.

Closed Thread