HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs inquire about Alex Edler...

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
100% agree ... Don't need this type of D at that price, and for Plekanec of all people.

Can't understand how some of you are pinning your hopes on Eller ever developing as a bonafide #2 center. Listen I like him also but he just doesn't have good enough scoring skills. I think he is best suited as an excellent #3 shutdown guy and a very good PK guy
He outscored entire friggin teams last year without PP time. Eller is a 2nd line center at minimum right now.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:42 AM
Draft

vCash: 500
I get the feeling that the #2 defensive center position is incredibly overrated around here.

What you need is a player who is good defensively with enough offensive skills to be a top-6 player. Look at that! Eller fits that criteria. A center isn't the be-all and end-all of a line, offensively or defensively.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I don't know how many times that I have to say this but EDLER IS NOT HEALTHY!

Chronic shoulder problems and a bulging disc in his back have severely affected his game over the last few seasons. For all of the geeks who think they can kind find this info through games missed due to injury.....you won't find much evidence as he generally tries to play through it which explains his diminishing effectiveness.
I see you called Doctor Recchi to get the diagnosis.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:52 AM
Kirk Muller

Edler would very quickly become Montreals second best defenseman behind Subban which isnt an insult to Edler. He alongside Hamhuis were a force on one of the best teams in the West.

Subban and Edler would be devastating on the PP. Absolutely lethal.

Those making proposal like Bournival and Moen and crap like that need watch some games outside the eastern time zone.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:54 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Edler would very quickly become Montreals second best defenseman behind Subban which isnt an insult to Edler. He alongside Hamhuis were a force on one of the best teams in the West.

Those making proposal like Bournival and Moen and crap like that need watch some games outside the eastern time zone.
I think you can count on one hand the defensemen who would be insulted by being 2nd best behind Subban.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

As much as it would be nice to add Edler, it won't happen without giving up big pieces. I'd rather be patient onm defense and develop the young guys, maybe sign a FA like Fistric or a salary dump like Meszaros or Coburn if the price makes sense(no 1st round picks or "A" prospects going).

Old
07-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I see you called Doctor Recchi to get the diagnosis.
No....I do this crazy thing like watching games and paying attention to current developments.

Maybe you can find a metric that will prove that he is healthy

It doesn't hurt that I had this guy in my pool for the last 3 seasons and have had to keep up with his injury status........maybe he is healthy now and maybe he is not but without a thorough physical I would avoid Edler. And even if he passed I wouldn't pay a premium to get him.

Last edited by Estimated_Prophet: 07-10-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'm pretty sure with Ballard bought out Vancouver has no reason to move Edler. Furthermore there hasn't been the slightest rumours of this in a while from legitimate sources.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
100% agree ... Don't need this type of D at that price, and for Plekanec of all people.

Can't understand how some of you are pinning your hopes on Eller ever developing as a bonafide #2 center. Listen I like him also but he just doesn't have good enough scoring skills. I think he is best suited as an excellent #3 shutdown guy and a very good PK guy
he was producing at a pace of a 2nd line C last season...

Old
07-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I know he had sheltered minutes early on, but he produced at the level of a #2 center last year with mostly #3 ice time.

46 GP 8-22-30 projected to 82 GP 14-39-53

If he isn't there he's real close.

Overall nice center depth with Plekanec DD Eller plus Briere(LW and C) and Galchenyuk probably a year away.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
He looked like he may have turned the corner in the second half of the season. It is a small sample size but he definitely has the skills as his teammates and coaching staff have attested to. It is his vision and hockey IQ that I have always questioned but sometimes a lack of confidence can mask itself as other deficiencies in a players game.

Lets wait and see what he does this season because I think he is at the crossroads of his development where he either takes another step forward or he stalls out where he is currently at. Another step forward and he will be a very good #2 center as long as that step includes an improvement in the faceoff circle. If not he should still have a solid career as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I'm pretty sure with Ballard bought out Vancouver has no reason to move Edler. Furthermore there hasn't been the slightest rumours of this in a while from legitimate sources.
I am surprised that this thread is still open. The Edler deal is dead.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Edler was actually Vancouver's third most used defensemen on even strength. His 5 on 5 game is being overrated here because he hits and puts up point. He's good enough defensively and is great defensively, but anyone who thinks he's an even strength upgrade on Markov because he hits is out to lunch.

Once again, a player is being overrated by Habs fans because they are too busy dissecting the flaws of their own.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

I don't know how closely you follow the Canucks but Edler's play has been very disappointing since the playoffs two years ago. I get to watch him quite a bit here in BC and while some Canucks' fans were seeing him as a potential Norris candidate in the future, few still think that way. Still a decent d-man, but more of a 3-4th at this point.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
As much as it would be nice to add Edler, it won't happen without giving up big pieces. I'd rather be patient onm defense and develop the young guys, maybe sign a FA like Fistric or a salary dump like Meszaros or Coburn if the price makes sense(no 1st round picks or "A" prospects going).
Take the underrated Grossman over Meszaros, or Coburn. Grossman is strictly a defensive D-man.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Take the underrated Grossman over Meszaros, or Coburn. Grossman is strictly a defensive D-man.
Grossman only has a 3.5 mil cap hit so they are probably not shopping him. Coburn is a better player than him, both would probably cost a fair bit though. I think Meszaros may be cheaper after missing last year.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Not sure why this is still being speculated upon. When Vancouver cleared up cap space by buying out Ballard and trading Schneider, Edler essentially came off the market. He's not going anywhere now.

Closed Thread