HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Devastate

vCash: 500
It's team has looked better as of late. Now if we could just get the braves to lose

Old
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
OrangeCrush10

There record vs the division is pretty good. Need a decent bullpen arm or 2. Offense is coming around so we may not be outta of this yet.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 PM
FLYguy3911

I have a feeling this deadline is going to set this franchise back another few years.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Interesting stat I heard on the radio tonight...

17-23 versus teams below .500.

28-23 versus teams over .500.

Well that right there's yer problem.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:48 PM
OrangeCrush10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Interesting stat I heard on the radio tonight...

17-23 versus teams below .500.

28-23 versus teams over .500.

Well that right there's yer problem.
23-13 verus NL East.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I have a feeling this deadline is going to set this franchise back another few years.
Possibly, this is a mirage, this team isn't good enough to make the playoffs, they are too inconsistent and the pen is just terrible.

Amaro is a giant wuss, he'll trade Franco & Biddle for a 33 year old RFer and middle reliever.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush10 View Post
23-13 verus NL East.
True but the NL East blows lol.

This is the worst possible time to go on a winning streak. This is shaping up to be a horrible baseball/hockey year. First with the Flyers, Briere and Mez getting hurt before the deadline, keeping us from getting anything for them. Then they start winning and pushed themselves out of a shot for Seth Jones. Now the Phillies have Papelbon's velocity and trade value decreasing, and are winning enough for their moron of a GM to say "hey let me trade some more young players, since we have so many of them laying around."

If you're going to suck, just suck. This mediocrity **** is what makes you die a slow, painful death like the Eagles have been for the past 4 years.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
OrangeCrush10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
True but the NL East blows lol.

This is the worst possible time to go on a winning streak. This is shaping up to be a horrible baseball/hockey year. First with the Flyers, Briere and Mez getting hurt before the deadline, keeping us from getting anything for them. Then they start winning and pushed themselves out of a shot for Seth Jones. Now the Phillies have Papelbon's velocity and trade value decreasing, and are winning enough for their moron of a GM to say "hey let me trade some more young players, since we have so many of them laying around."

If you're going to suck, just suck. This mediocrity **** is what makes you die a slow, painful death like the Eagles have been for the past 4 years.
True also but baseball more so then other sports it seems as long as you get in the playoffs anything can happen. The 83 win cardinals won the World Series a few years back. The Rockies in 2007 and there's a few more mediocre teams that have gone on to the World Series and some have won it. So I guess if there close I'd rather stand pat at the deadline and sell in the offseason I we fall out of contention.

Edit: I would trade either Ruiz or micheal young now however to try and get a bullpen arm since there contracts are expiring anyway. I think this team will be the same with Kratz behind the plate and it asche at third.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
True also but baseball more so then other sports it seems as long as you get in the playoffs anything can happen. The 83 win cardinals won the World Series a few years back. The Rockies in 2007 and there's a few more mediocre teams that have gone on to the World Series and some have won it. So I guess if there close I'd rather stand pat at the deadline and sell in the offseason I we fall out of contention.

Edit: I would trade either Ruiz or micheal young now however to try and get a bullpen arm since there contracts are expiring anyway. I think this team will be the same with Kratz behind the plate and it asche at third.
I would be more ok with standing pat and then dealing at the winter meetings and next deadline than moving people, but I feel Amaro will make a move. If it's with Michael or Delmon Young that's one thing, but if it's with Biddle or anyone else showing promise like Fanco, then it's a bad idea.

I know that if they make the playoffs then anything can happen, but this team isn't that good, and isn't that healthy. If you look at the teams that have won the WS they have been either very good at one of hitting or pitching and average at the other, or they were above average in both. Right now the Phils have an average offense with a below average ERA. The pitching should get a little better with Hamels having a better 2nd half, but they're still probably going to be average at best in both.

EDIT: I mean moving people as in buying, not selling.

Last edited by Protest: 07-10-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
I would be more ok with standing pat and then dealing at the winter meetings and next deadline than moving people, but I feel Amaro will make a move. If it's with Michael or Delmon Young that's one thing, but if it's with Biddle or anyone else showing promise like Fanco, then it's a bad idea.

I know that if they make the playoffs then anything can happen, but this team isn't that good, and isn't that healthy. If you look at the teams that have won the WS they have been either very good at one of hitting or pitching and average at the other, or they were above average in both. Right now the Phils have an average offense with a below average ERA. The pitching should get a little better with Hamels having a better 2nd half, but they're still probably going to be average at best in both.
Delmon is gone
Utley is gone
Young is gone
Ruiz is gone

4 players you can have pieces for will not be Phillies property anymore. Can't wait.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:37 AM
OrangeCrush10

Quote:

EDIT: I mean moving people as in buying, not selling.
Overall Team Era: 4.16
Starting pitching Era: 3.96
Bullpen Era: 4.65
8th inning Era: 5.20
Era by Month thus far April: 4.47 May: 4.12 June: 4.02 July: 3.80

So I guess what I am saying is take out Halladay's first few starts and our starting pitching hasn't been all that bad good enough to win at the least. The bullpen and 8th inning is where the pitching problems are. Also I don't see Hamels being as bad as he was the 2nd half as the first half. Each month the Era has gone down so as long as the continues or levels off and doesn't increase and the offense keeps things going I think we'll be okay...But maybe its just me I'd rather still have hope then just give up that easily when I have seen this team come back from 7 down with 17 games left and were 7.5 out with over half a year left.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
OrangeCrush10

Quote:

So I guess what I am saying is take out Halladay's first few starts and our starting pitching hasn't been all that bad good enough to win at the least. The bullpen and 8th inning is where the pitching problems are. Also I don't see Hamels being as bad as he was the 2nd half as the first half. Each month the Era has gone down so as long as the continues or levels off and doesn't increase and the offense keeps things going I think we'll be okay...But maybe its just me I'd rather still have hope then just give up that easily when I have seen this team come back from 7 down with 17 games left and were 7.5 out with over half a year left.

EDIT: Phillies also lead MLB in Quality starts with 58

Old
07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Asides from July those ERA's are all still bad. The bullpen is a legit problem. I know it's way more fun to have hope, but this team isn't the same one that came back from those deficits. In order to make the wild card they need to play over .600 baseball the rest of the year, a 98 win pace. Do you really see them capable of playing at that type of pace?

Old
07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
OrangeCrush10

Quote:
Asides from July those ERA's are all still bad. The bullpen is a legit problem. I know it's way more fun to have hope, but this team isn't the same one that came back from those deficits. In order to make the wild card they need to play over .600 baseball the rest of the year, a 98 win pace. Do you really see them capable of playing at that type of pace?
Yeah the Eras are bad no doubt but there's improvement slowly but surely. Part of that has to do with Halladay not pitching anymore and Durbin getting the Ax. As for the wildcard I think its Division or nothing. I don't see any NL east team beating out the Reds and Pirates. With how streaky the Braves have been I would still think we have a good shot. We play them 13 more times in August and September with the last 4 games of the season vs them down in Atlanta. Plus we play nationals 6 times in September. So if you ask me I think this will go down to the last week of season.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:06 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Yeah the Eras are bad no doubt but there's improvement slowly but surely. Part of that has to do with Halladay not pitching anymore and Durbin getting the Ax. As for the wildcard I think its Division or nothing. I don't see any NL east team beating out the Reds and Pirates. With how streaky the Braves have been I would still think we have a good shot. We play them 13 more times in August and September with the last 4 games of the season vs them down in Atlanta. Plus we play nationals 6 times in September. So if you ask me I think this will go down to the last week of season.
It's July, still plenty of time for the Pirates to do their thing and flop again.

07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
OrangeCrush10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It's July, still plenty of time for the Pirates to do their thing and flop again.
Possible no Doubt but I think this is the year for them to make it back to the playoffs.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Problem is is the Reds & Cards are just as good.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Possible no Doubt but I think this is the year for them to make it back to the playoffs.
I thought that last year too, but there evidently is something in the PNC home locker room that haunts that team.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Haven't fact checked but just heard mention that since April 19th the Phillies would be tied with Atlanta for first.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Yea I think the division is their best shot as well. But it just reminds me of the NL West from the like 8-10 years ago. Teams that weren't good winning the division because the division wasn't good, and then getting mauled in the playoffs.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Haven't fact checked but just heard mention that since April 19th the Phillies would be tied with Atlanta for first.
Correct, Atlanta (along with everybody else) has been a .500 team outside their first 13 games.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Hiesenberg

Wow, I just checked, they are 5.5 games out of the WC. Pirates & Reds have crashed lately.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:19 PM
OrangeCrush10

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-ph...mong-mlbs-best

Old
07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

When did Corey Seidman start writing for CSN Philly? He and his brother ran Brotherly Glove, write for Phillies Nation, and Fangraphs, but it's kind of crazy to see one of them at something like CSN Philly. Or maybe he's always been there and I was just oblivious to it.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:07 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
I thought that last year too, but there evidently is something in the PNC home locker room that haunts that team.
Their starters ERA is 2nd in baseball, but their FIP is 10th. I don't think there's as much difference between those ranks as they've had in previous years when they got off to hot starts, but they're due for some regression nonetheless. They always had a bunch of starters who couldn't strike batters out, but now I guess Locke is really the only one like that. He has 73 Ks and 47 walks, and an ERA just barely over 2. Smoke and mirrors.

The other thing is that their bullpen has thrown the 2nd most innings in baseball, 2nd best ERA and 11th best FIP. If those guys regress or wear down, they could be in trouble.

Closed Thread