HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Chelios elected to HHOF

Old
07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Penosity

vCash: 500
One of the greatest players I'd ever watched play hockey.

Congrats Judas.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Sporting News ‏@sportingnews
Chris Chelios vs. Gary Bettman: 'Let's not mention' him on #HHOF call -
No kidding. Going to the HOF and he goes that route, and as an employee of an NHL franchise too. I don't care how serious he was or wasn't, that was just garbage on his part. Maybe he took notes from MJ.

One of the greatest at his position without any doubt in my mind. I won't be listening to any of his interviews, he lost me a long time ago, and not because of anything having to do with Detroit.

hockeydoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:20 PM
hisgirlfriday

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but exactly what is the relationship between the Blackhawks and Chelios at the moment? And how did it turn out that his son goes to the Blackhawks prospect camp and not the Detroit one when Chelios works for the Wings?

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:30 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It's not the trade, it's how big an ******* he was well after the fact.
met the man probably over 30 times and nothing but awesome every time to me...some of you people take things a bit too far when it comes to Chelios, it actually has become beyond annoying.

guy is a legend and was a warrior, proud moment for all kids and fans from Chicago who saw him come from nothing to get where he did.

they interviewed him and asked him what team he most identified himself with...his answer??? "USA" ... nuff said'. love the man and what he did here, he was sent packing well before he ever should have. I pray he wears a Hawks jersey on that stage, but you never know.

Congrats Chelli!!!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:45 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

they interviewed him and asked him what team he most identified himself with...his answer??? "USA" ... nuff said'.
Eh, only sport I really care about international play in is soccer, so that does nothing for me

We also call that 'pandering'.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 07-09-2013 at 11:56 PM.
IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:46 PM
kuzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but exactly what is the relationship between the Blackhawks and Chelios at the moment? And how did it turn out that his son goes to the Blackhawks prospect camp and not the Detroit one when Chelios works for the Wings?
I've wondered about that too. If I remember correctly lil chelios was at last years camp as well.

kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:49 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Now the real issue...

Cheli's Chili never should have left Chicago. Lets be honest.
That's what I was pissed about.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:13 AM
T Low

Dean Chelios is at Detroit's camp, Jake Chelios is at Chicago's.

My brother in law knows Chris, Dean, and Jake fairly well, and Chris waved the fee for his hockey camp for my nephew and put both he and my bro in law up at his house.

They have nothing but great things to say about him and his family.

T Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:58 AM
HawksIsles

HawksIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:28 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Now the real issue...

Cheli's Chili never should have left Chicago. Lets be honest.
Yeah, that was one of the greatest establishments I have ever been too, and that is even just being a kid. Had that place stayed open until I was 21, I would have practically lived there. I really want to get to one of the Michigan ones.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Hawkscap

Made after his Heritage Night , not by me though

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
moose vasko

Back-to-back OT winners in the last 2 games Canucks ever played in their previous home the Pacific Coliseum. For that alone they should have waived the vote and waiting period and instantly admitted him to HHOF for exemplary services rendered to the game or something like that.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
As stated, his other son is at Detroit's camp. Jake was at the Hawks' camp last year, too. He had been to Detroit's camp the season before if I'm not mistaken, just wanted to get more exposure and experience a different camp.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Pailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, that was one of the greatest establishments I have ever been too, and that is even just being a kid. Had that place stayed open until I was 21, I would have practically lived there. I really want to get to one of the Michigan ones.
The one that is left in Detroit is nothing special. Basically just a really big bar that holds a lot of people before Detroit Tiger games...and I would guess Red Wing games to a lesser extent. That may sound backwards, but the location is a short walk from Comerica Park. It's an okay place to grab a few beers, but certainly not a must stop if you were in town. The one they closed recently in Dearborn (the original Michigan location) had a lot of memorabilia. I suppose that stuff could have been moved to Detroit, but I'm not sure. It's been over a year since I was last there.

Pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
One of the greatest players I'd ever watched play hockey.

Congrats Judas.
I was looking for that perfect description... and considering his given name Christos.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:44 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I live in a very Chelios sympathetic household. Mostly because my uncle had known him pretty well from Carmel. I know when I was like 5, we went to Cheli's Chili after a game and I got all kinds of autographed ****. So, that was cool.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:30 AM
LBS8844

Idolized #7 as a young adult. Gave us some awesome years. Easily one of the best defensemen ever to lace them up. Had a stick that wouldn't quit, tough as nails on the boards. When paired with Smitty, best tandem in the NHL...logged ridiculous minutes together. Turned jerky though, participating in - if not spearheading - the Nagano dorm room trashing (after sobering up, heroically offering to pay for the damages after the horses were well out of the barn, as if the notion itself would make everything right), and indirectly threatening Bettman's personal safety during the lockout. Deserves the HHOF honor. Still love his play, will always think he's a jerk. FWIW, I think it sucks that several (however inebriated) lapses in judgement reflect upon an entire career, but that's the world we live in.

Last edited by LBS8844: 07-12-2013 at 02:19 AM.
LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:21 AM
LBS8844

Quote:
Eh, only sport I really care about international play in is soccer, so that does nothing for me

We also call that 'pandering'.
Off Topic, but cannot express enough THIS! Guaranteed IU, most here will never know. Looks like Mexico is through, and sweet final at Soldier is shaping up.

Last edited by LBS8844: 07-12-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS8844 View Post
Idolized #7 as a young adult. Gave us some awesome years. Easily one of the best defensemen ever to lace them up. Had a stick that wouldn't quit, tough as nails on the boards. When paired with Smitty, best tandem in the NHL...logged ridiculous minutes together. Turned jerky though, participating in - if not spearheading - the Nagano dorm room trashing (after sobering up, heroically offering to pay for the damages after the horses were well out of the barn, as if the notion itself would make everything right), and indirectly threatening Bettman's personal safety during the lockout. Deserves the HHOF honor. Still love his play, will always think he's a jerk. FWIW, I think it sucks that several (however inebriated) lapses in judgement reflect upon an entire career, but that's the world we live in.
Chelios had transgressions other than those you listed. Bettman incident was bad but wearing a RedWings sweater for the Blackhawks Alumni pic... WTF. Im sure posters could list some more.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Chelios had transgressions other than those you listed. Bettman incident was bad but wearing a RedWings sweater for the Blackhawks Alumni pic... WTF. Im sure posters could list some more.
That incident...at his age....showed how classless, stupid,immature, or arrogant the **** was. In your late 40's and you are pulling **** like that? Imagine when he was young and much> of the adjectives listed above.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS8844 View Post
Off Topic, but cannot express enough THIS! Guaranteed IU, most here will never know. Looks like Mexico is through, and sweet final at Soldier is shaping up.
Cannot wait, and I'll be in Columbus September 10th

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
LBS8844

Quote:
Cannot wait, and I'll be in Columbus September 10th
Owe them a serious Dos a Cero in WCQ. Don't suppose you're a Crew season ticket holder that got screwed seat-wise by the USSF?

Last edited by LBS8844: 07-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.