HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Offseason is boring now. With so many teams so close to the upper limit with players to sign, you think some action would be taking place around the league.

Carolina
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles
Boston
Philadelphia
Vancouver
St Louis

Toronto is still looking for a top 4 defender as well, also trying to get a #1 center(for the last 234 years).

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Homer: "I'm a huge believer in the more centers you have the better off you're gonna be"

well now we know 100% when we add a center that we should never speculate others are on the way out
If Schenns a winger now maybe Laughton can learn to play D

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Man when people see this kind of stuff they freak haha. A disclaimer for you for others to see. "THIS IS ASSUMING THE PROSPECTS CONTINUE TO IMPROVE AND BECOME LEGIT NHLERS"

Im not gonna guess cause lets me honest. Coburn or Schenn or both might be gone or traded. They could trade Ghost, Morin or Haag as part of a package for a better defender.

That being said, I do like the look of it. Gostisbehere - Morin could be a great pairing. Big shutdown defender with a smaller agile defender with offensive game. You got Haag bring the calmness to the top 4, and one or two other vets that have been there for awhile.

Honestly, out of the 3 prospect defenders, Im starting to think Haag makes it to the NHL first.
No way Luke gets moved. The guy was a rock for us last year. I stand by that.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
No way Luke gets moved. The guy was a rock for us last year. I stand by that.
We were saying this about Coburn not too long ago.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:04 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
We were saying this about Coburn not too long ago.
Not really. We were saying he was playing well and hopes he continues to his project top level.

Schenn carried this D for awhile there and was outstanding. I think he much better than coburn at the time frame you are referring to.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:49 AM
TimtheDJ84*

For those that were curious as to why Pietrangelo has yet to sign, the general consensus is that it is term and not money holding up the deal. AP wanting a shorter term and to be able to bank even more in a few years, while St.Louis wants to lock him up long term.

TimtheDJ84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
For those that were curious as to why Pietrangelo has yet to sign, the general consensus is that it is term and not money holding up the deal. AP wanting a shorter term and to be able to bank even more in a few years, while St.Louis wants to lock him up long term.
That's actually great news. Give him a four year deal so he can hit UFA, or the year of UFA Flyers could trade for him. Thinking a while a head but gotta keep every option open. Where did you hear this?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:22 AM
TheKingPin

Yea sign him for cheap for his rfa years and then he's all ours

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
I get the strategy, but man that is risky. Especially in a sport rampant with concussions.

If St.L wants to give you 8/64....dude, you take it.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I get the strategy, but man that is risky. Especially in a sport rampant with concussions.

If St.L wants to give you 8/64....dude, you take it.
Yeah that seems silly to me. Concussions and injuries aside, it is far from a guarantee that he will be deserving of a big raise when his contract is up.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:54 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah that seems silly to me. Concussions and injuries aside, it is far from a guarantee that he will be deserving of a big raise when his contract is up.
Yeah, but it may be worth the risk for him because the cap could be significantly higher in 4 years. If he waits it out, his AAV as a UFA could be astronomical with almost every team in the league gunning for his services.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:41 AM
DLJB

Brendan Morrow

I think we should make him an offer. If we could get him cheap for 1-2 years, he would fit in nicely. If he's looking to win a cup, this is the place for him. Would make ou top 9 amazing. Deal Mez for a pick and sign Morrow!

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Morrow-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

DLJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Banger

he's done. I'd rather have Gagne.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

we have enough old captains on our team

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
OrangeCrush10

Yeah I would rather have gagne or a young guy.

OrangeCrush10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:04 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
we have enough old captains on our team
That wouldn't be my reason but yeah no. I want a little more speed and Morrow doesn't bring it.

07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Hiesenberg

Pass. I'd rather risk it with Straka before paying for that dinosaur.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Give me Gagne over Morrow every day of the week.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Pass. I don't want a guy slower than molasses. He's practically done anyway.

I rather go with a young guy over him & Gagne.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Gagne > Morrow

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
TimtheDJ84*

Also, as to where I heard this, it has been floating around a few sites and also from fellow Blues posters. That and it makes complete sense, him wanting to make it to UFA status and St.Louis wanting to lockdown their cornerstone D. My belief is that St.Louis isn't exactly throwing 8mil out there either, but rather offering up 6.5 mil long term, while AP wouldn't exactly mind more money, yet on a shorter term, again to make it to UFA. With all that being said, Armstrong is being a bit coy and I believe he may even be waiting for an OS so he can just go boom, matched and done.

TimtheDJ84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah, but it may be worth the risk for him because the cap could be significantly higher in 4 years. If he waits it out, his AAV as a UFA could be astronomical with almost every team in the league gunning for his services.
I suppose. I still think its risky. Injuries, poor play, etc. could really bite him in the ass. If it were me, I'd take the money and run.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Also, as to where I heard this, it has been floating around a few sites and also from fellow Blues posters. That and it makes complete sense, him wanting to make it to UFA status and St.Louis wanting to lockdown their cornerstone D. My belief is that St.Louis isn't exactly throwing 8mil out there either, but rather offering up 6.5 mil long term, while AP wouldn't exactly mind more money, yet on a shorter term, again to make it to UFA. With all that being said, Armstrong is being a bit coy and I believe he may even be waiting for an OS so he can just go boom, matched and done.
I'd be surprised if anybody did that after the Flyers/Weber debacle. If the Preds matched that, every team would match at this point.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Hiesenberg

BTW, what was his QO and didn't he have to sign it by 5pm last night or it goes to Arb?

Is that how it works?

Found this just now:

Quote:
The Blues seem to be in no rush to get Pietrangelo signed. Doesn’t mean they don’t want to get a deal done, but it’s safe to assume they know what they’re willing to pay and I don’t see that tune changing anytime soon. The Blues have no issue giving Pietrangelo a long-term deal but the AAV probably won’t approach the Doughty-spere.

Meaning I don’t see them giving him $7 million a year coming out of entry level. St. Louis is far more interested in the next two years for Pietrangelo than they are five years from now. There’s plenty of time between now and the time he’s eligible to become an unrestricted free agent to agree to a long-term extension.

The Blues hold the cards and like Montreal did with P.K. Subban last off-season, they’ll remain patient.

Subban’s holdout led to him missing training camp and the Habs first six games of the regular season. He went on the win the Norris Trophy after signing a two-year, $5.75 million deal.

I’m not suggesting the Pietrangelo situation will reach this level but neither side seems in any hurry to move soon. Pietrangelo’s deal will be significantly higher than the contract Subban signed last January.

Even if Pietrangelo were to holdout the Blues feel very comfortable with how their defense stacks up even without him in the lineup. Again I’m not predicting a holdout will or won’t happen, but considering both Pietrangelo and Subban share the same agency it’s certainly a possibility.

Last edited by Hiesenberg: 07-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
BTW, what was his QO and didn't he have to sign it by 5pm last night or it goes to Arb?

Is that how it works?

Found this just now:
Who wrote that?

AP might as well just play this year and hit UFA, and get pretty much any contract he wants.

I don't think STL should be looking at the Weber contract now; rather, they should be looking at how Sutter walked away and NSH got nothing for one of the best D-men in the NHL.

If AP is of the mindset that he only wants a 2-4 year deal to get him to UFA, than its not that far off to think he may decide to play this year out and hit UFA.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote