HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M AAV)

Old
07-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
we don't need anymore 2 way players. we need goal scorers, and thats what we got.

again, I consider this a much better Petr Sykora from 2 seasons ago and even that old fart scored 20.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Rella17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
Larsson has already had some dandy deflection shot/passes from the point these past few seasons, I'm excited to see him start to unleash them more frequently this coming season with ryder at es and especially the pp.
he needs less of those floaters he sends in and more of the clappers he ripped when he scored that one time.

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
devilsblood

given this guys recent/career stats I would have preferred a 3 yr deal at this amount.

If anyone is looking for a negative, it should be directed at the work of Ryder's agent. This is too sweet a deal for the Devils.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
It's fine with me. We already have enough ''Two way'' forwards. As long as he doesn't give back every single point that he scores, it's cool with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesJawLine View Post
Sounds like exactly what we needed
Alright, perfect. If he is able to play with players who are responsible in their defensive zone and who are able to give him room in the offensive zone to let him take his shot + PP time; Ryder will look really great!

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Alright, perfect. If he is able to play with players who are responsible in their defensive zone and who are able to give him room in the offensive zone to let him take his shot + PP time; Ryder will look really great!
We want him to play with our 2 best defensive forwards Elias and Zajac soo he should be fine

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm expecting a better version of Skyora 2 years ago. To fill that role, at least. But with more speed... a bit more scoring. All we need is goals from him, don't care about much else.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:19 PM
kiwidevil

I'd be more worried about Briere if I was you. You want to talk bad defense . . . . .

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:15 AM
dk3790

Quote:
I think you guys are a little bit too hype about this one.. This is definitely not a steal, I think it is just fair value. MTL had the roster spot and the money for Ryder; there are reasons why we didn't offer him any contract. I think you guys haven't seen him play enough..

IMO, he is one of the most one-dimensional player in the league. Don't get me wrong, he is a really good goal scorer, great wrister(fast release and very good accuracy)(however average one-timer) but this is mainly the only thing he can do. For the amount of points he can get, it is suprising how invisible he can be. Overally low IQ player, especially defensively, doesn't really complement any line well(look like he is playing alone), little bit awkward when he has the puck, low vision/passing ability, below average speed and can't use his body effectively/doesn't hit. The only thing that he seems to be thinking about in a game; is to have a good lane to take his wrist shot. And when Ryder have slump, it is just painful to watch. Not a bad guy, but will never be the type of player to wear an "A" or a "C" on his jersey.

He probably has two good seasons of 25-30 goals left in him, this is great but he really need to get those goals to be consider a decent player.
So what you described is a pure sniper....not many players are like Crosby, Malkin, and the like where they are good at everything. We don't need players like that and we have plenty of two-way players.

dk3790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:39 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
I think you guys are a little bit too hype about this one.. This is definitely not a steal, I think it is just fair value. MTL had the roster spot and the money for Ryder; there are reasons why we didn't offer him any contract. I think you guys haven't seen him play enough..

IMO, he is one of the most one-dimensional player in the league. Don't get me wrong, he is a really good goal scorer, great wrister(fast release and very good accuracy)(however average one-timer) but this is mainly the only thing he can do. For the amount of points he can get, it is suprising how invisible he can be. Overally low IQ player, especially defensively, doesn't really complement any line well(look like he is playing alone), little bit awkward when he has the puck, low vision/passing ability, below average speed and can't use his body effectively/doesn't hit. The only thing that he seems to be thinking about in a game; is to have a good lane to take his wrist shot. And when Ryder have slump, it is just painful to watch. Not a bad guy, but will never be the type of player to wear an "A" or a "C" on his jersey.

He probably has two good seasons of 25-30 goals left in him, this is great but he really need to get those goals to be consider a decent player.
So sounds exactly like we were expecting then.

Goodluck with Briere on that note.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Sounds like Sykora.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I'd be more worried about Briere if I was you. You want to talk bad defense . . . . .

Touché

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:58 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If Ryder can score between 20 to 30 goals... this signing will be success, period.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If Ryder can score between 20 to 30 goals... this signing will be success, period.
Given his contract, 30 goals? I think that would make him one of the best signings in the entire league from this offseason. I don't think he could possibly play D bad enough to change that.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:04 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Given his contract, 30 goals? I think that would make him one of the best signings in the entire league from this offseason. I don't think he could possibly play D bad enough to change that.
He's been a consistent 25 goal scorer for his entire career. If he can find some chemistry with Elias, I don't see why he couldn't pull it off.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
He's been a consistent 25 goal scorer for his entire career. If he can find some chemistry with Elias, I don't see why he couldn't pull it off.

I totally agree. My post above was basically agreeing with this....

Quote:
....in a big way. I expect Ryder to score goals. I expect this signing to be viewed as a success. Don't think his d can possibly be that bad for me to think otherwise. This is one of those rare UFA signings where I wish we actually gave the guy more years.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I expect Ryder to score goals. I expect this signing to be viewed as a success. Don't think his d can possibly be that bad for me to think otherwise. This is one of those rare UFA signings where I wish we actually gave the guy more years.
We have alot of "playmakers" and we were lacking a pure sniper to take some attention off of Kovalchuk. Ryder is exactly that... a shooter.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
We're not expecting Ryder to wear a letter either. There are plenty of leaders on the Devils.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:37 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Been our biggest disappointment so far this year IMO. Brunners got a thread too, so should Ryder.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:41 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

And like in the other thread,

I will say the same here :

I'd trade both Brunner AND Ryder for a PROSPECT at this rate.

It's not like the Devils scoring would suffer if they were dealt.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:57 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Ryder is invisible, but I don't think he's actively hurting the team. At least he can complete a pass at the NHL level.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 04:15 AM
Jedi

It's early in the season. I loved this contract when it was signed, and I'm definitely not ready to jump off just yet.

We've got a long way to go, 22 games ain't much of a sample size. And as others have said - he may be invisible, but he isn't a detriment.

I think it's just a matter of time until his scoring picks up. I mean there's a chance he's a total bust, but IMO I think we should just be more patient, and I think he'll rack up some points eventually.

It's not like he has to do even score so much to live up to that contract, $3.5 mil is very cheap.

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Ryder is invisible, but I don't think he's actively hurting the team. At least he can complete a pass at the NHL level.
I agree. He is not scoring right now and isn't playing good either, but he neither takes the stupid penalties Brunner does take nor does he turn over the puck constantly.

Let's hope he can develop some chemistry with Elias and maybe Clowe. I think those 3 could make a solid second line.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 06:03 AM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

he's always been a streaky player but I don't think he's been too bad, he generates a few chances all by himself so that's good... just needs to finish

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 06:42 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
And like in the other thread,

I will say the same here :

I'd trade both Brunner AND Ryder for a PROSPECT at this rate.

It's not like the Devils scoring would suffer if they were dealt.
At least Ryder's a proven scorer in the league though. He needs a playmaker on his line to get him the puck. I don't know if we have that guy, I'd try him with Elias for a while and see how that works out cause he's our best playmaker. Clearly Ryder's a one-dimensional player, but we need that dimension.

Brunner otoh I wouldn't cry if they did with him what they did with Olesz. He doesn't want to be here, let him go back to Switzerland. Plus he's not a proven goalscorer anyway, what because of twelve or so goals in a short season? Bergfors had that streak too, that comparison's looking more apt by the day. All he does is try to score and he's not particularly deadly with the puck.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 06:56 AM
NC107*

We would be a different team if we could get some scoring from Brunner, Ryder and Clowe. One problem is DeBoer he hasn't set the line so they can build chemistry. Our goaltending has kept us close. Elias has to be comfortable with his line mates if he isn't he says nothing but you won't see those brilliant passes from him. I think they should let Elias pick what position he wants to play and who he wants on that line and then leave it alone unless injuries.

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote