HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Morrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
odishabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...te-avec-morrow

L'agent du vétéran a indiqué à la chaîne TVA Sports qu'il s'était entretenu avec l'organisation montréalaise récemment et que les choses s'étaient bien déroulées.

«Nous avons eu une bonne discussion et je suis convaincu que nous en aurons une autre bientôt», a confié Brad Devine.

In English??

Old
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
hockey_nut

Morrow had 14pts in 15 games with the Penguins after the trade... then got hurt and lost it in the playoffs...

I don't mind bringing him in as a 3rd line player... HOWEVER... I don't want him on a line with guys like Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher... think it's counter productive. He's lost a step, we all know that.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Et le But

Players always want to play here when we are willing to pay them - see Briere, Cammalleri, Gionta.

On the other hand Jagr and Lecavalier don't want to play for a team where they will make less money. It's shocking, I know.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoy33 View Post
Morrow I think would be a better fit as he can be an effective 3rd liner and will not take ice time away from the young guys like Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Jagr can't be a 3rd liner, he needs to be a top 6 player to be effective. If we run into injuries Morrow is versatile and can be thrown into a top 6 role. I like this move IF it happens.

Ohh and for those defending Jagr about him not going after the money, he's apparently wanted to come to the Habs the past 3 seasons but has yet to sign with us. Why would that be? Don't get me wrong he could prove us wrong but until then that's how it seems.
I'm sure his supposed wanting to come to Montreal has nothing to do with what the media posts...Maybe he never really wanted to come to Montreal and it is all media fabricated...

Old
07-10-2013, 10:58 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Jagr
older
costs more
only wants to be here for money really?
czech so?....
better
.75 ppg since coming back to the NHL (not including the 1.6 ppg in Kladno at the beginning of last season)
wants to be here http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20955521.html

morrow
younger
costs less
more heart how did you calculate this?
more gritt
wants to be here how do you know this?
canadian so what?
There, fixed that for you.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
In English??
His agent said they had a good discussion with Mtl and expects to have another soon

in other words, blah blah blah

Last edited by windycity: 07-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...te-avec-morrow

L'agent du vétéran a indiqué à la chaîne TVA Sports qu'il s'était entretenu avec l'organisation montréalaise récemment et que les choses s'étaient bien déroulées.

«Nous avons eu une bonne discussion et je suis convaincu que nous en aurons une autre bientôt», a confié Brad Devine.
Quote:
In English??
Morrow's agent told TVA that they were in contact with Montreal recently and that talks went well.

"We had a good discussion and I'm sure we'll have another shortly." Brad Devine.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Players always want to play here when we are willing to pay them - see Briere, Cammalleri, Gionta.

On the other hand Jagr and Lecavalier don't want to play for a team where they will make less money. It's shocking, I know.
I thought the rumour was Brière accepted less than what Nashville offered to play here.

Also, this is the problem with MTL, everybody and their grandmother covers the team, everytime Bergevin farts there's a report on it somewhere. I'm sure all the other GMs speak to a lot of UFAs too, but nobody cares. Here, there's a thread started everytime, which gives us the impression that UFAs never want to sign here, but I'm sure our "success" rate is similar to most teams.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:

Briere left money on the table to sign here. Lecavalier/his agent outright said that money/term were not the issue with what the Habs offered.

We don't know what kind of offers Cammalleri got from other teams.

You have a point, but it's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Briere left money on the table to sign here. Lecavalier/his agent outright said that money/term were not the issue with what the Habs offered.

It's not, but I seriously doubt Briere signed for much, if at all less than what else was there, and we don't know what else was involved - the NMC for instance, or an affirmation from RDS that he can start trying out for a job for after he retires. That doesn't mean Briere didn't have other reasons - wanting to stay in the east, being from Quebec, getting promised a top 6 role and playing time - of course there's other considerations.

I am very skeptical teams would offer much more for Briere. Nashville is desperate for offense. We should probably be trying to trade them Desharnais.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I like morrow, but would take cleary if he's cheaper.
Cleary is so soft he can make Charmin feel rough. PASS

Morrow is a grinder somehow talented but also is his own older self.

I'd still get him for our 2nd / 3rd line, he's an improvement on Gionta IMO, on the 2-way aspect of his game. Well, the Gionta of last year, not the Gionta that scores 30 goals.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
It's not, but I seriously doubt Briere signed for much, if at all less than what else was there, and we don't know what else was involved - the NMC for instance, or an affirmation from RDS that he can start trying out for a job for after he retires. That doesn't mean Briere didn't have other reasons - wanting to stay in the east, being from Quebec, getting promised a top 6 role and playing time - of course there's other considerations.

I am very skeptical teams would offer much more for Briere. Nashville is desperate for offense. We should probably be trying to trade them Desharnais.
We'll probably never know what the other offers were but judging by what Bergvin has seemingly offered other players, he seems to be low balling most. And by low balling I mean offering what he thinks their actual market value is.

Not sure how interested other teams were in Briere but I have serious doubts if the Habs had the best offer out there.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
In English??
He got a good interview with the Habs and he is going to take it to other teams and use the Habs for getting his pay checks elsewhere

Old
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
Morrow had 14pts in 15 games with the Penguins after the trade... then got hurt and lost it in the playoffs...

I don't mind bringing him in as a 3rd line player... HOWEVER... I don't want him on a line with guys like Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher... think it's counter productive. He's lost a step, we all know that.
I agree with you on bringing in Morrow but differ when it comes to playing him with the young guys.

He's a former captain, plays with the type of grit and determination that you want all your players to play with and would be a HUGELY positive influence on the Gally's. He's not slower than Prust who had a lot of sucess on that line.

Bourque Plex Briere
Patches DD B.Gally
A. Gally Eller Morrow
Moen White/Parros Prust

You could also easily slot him up to DD's line to crash the net a la Cole and create space for Patches and DD.

Guy is a useful player and adds a ton of depth to any line up. It's more a matter of cost and term, imo.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

Funny (and relevant) story about Cammalleri:

I was at Dorval waiting to fly to Vancouver back in 2010 when I saw Cammalleri sitting a few seats over from me. This was the summer he signed with the Habs so i was pretty stoked. I was about to go talk to him when he starts hitting on this girl next to him. Not wanting to step on his toes I backed off but covertly listened to the exchange. From it i gleaned the following things:

1) Mike Cammalleri is not above dropping the fact that he's a hockey player to score points with a girl. Even when his line of work is not brought up.

2) He had offers on the table of equal value from Calgary, Toronto, AND Ottawa, but he and his agent decided that Montreal was the best fit for him.

3) He likes his V-neck t-shirts like he likes his independent arthouse movies...deep

4) While Mr. Cammalleri's conversation partner did not seem overly enthraled by the fact that she was talking with a hockey player, the same cannot be said about her boyfriend, who returned to his seat and promptly started talking poor ole Mike's ear off. It was the highest of high comedy.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Well Eklund just caught whiff of Morrow to Mtl rumours so I guess we can forget about that happening now....
But... he also said that Habs are out of contention for Jagr... so that means we're still in, right?

Color me confused

Old
07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

I think morrow is the better option for our team. I think he gives us more of what we need....physicallity...fighting.....and yes I want him because he`s canadian.....i don`t understand why this concept is seen as mindblowing and xenophobic or racist I`m a ****ing canadian.....the sport I love is dominated by canadians......I want to cheer for canadians on my canadian hockey team.....I`m sure people in the states are hoping for their clubs to get americans and there`s nothing wrong with that. jesus....some people on here get so offended about something so miniscule...Should i stop cheering for team canada at the olympics too...........if it was anze kopitar and brenden morrow we were deciding over than no...i wouldn`t be choosing morrow....but its not..it`s jagr.....and i feel morrow is the better option...the only...ONLY way we;re going to know who`s right is if morrow or jagr signs here and has a fantastic season and the other goes somewhere else and plays like ****.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Funny (and relevant) story about Cammalleri:

I was at Dorval waiting to fly to Vancouver back in 2010 when I saw Cammalleri sitting a few seats over from me. This was the summer he signed with the Habs so i was pretty stoked. I was about to go talk to him when he starts hitting on this girl next to him. Not wanting to step on his toes I backed off but covertly listened to the exchange. From it i gleaned the following things:

1) Mike Cammalleri is not above dropping the fact that he's a hockey player to score points with a girl. Even when his line of work is not brought up.

2) He had offers on the table of equal value from Calgary, Toronto, AND Ottawa, but he and his agent decided that Montreal was the best fit for him.

3) He likes his V-neck t-shirts like he likes his independent arthouse movies...deep

4) While Mr. Cammalleri's conversation partner did not seem overly enthraled by the fact that she was talking with a hockey player, the same cannot be said about her boyfriend, who returned to his seat and promptly started talking poor ole Mike's ear off. It was the highest of high comedy.
Pics or it didn't happen

Old
07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
Ah 2010, the days before everyone could take high res photos with their cellphones.

I assume you're referring to the V-Neck, so I'll add that it was a good 4-5 inches below his neck line...maybe 6? Either way he earned instant "bro cred". Seemed like the type of guy to order another bottle of grey goose at a Vegas club while the rest of his party is still trying to figure out who ows what on the first bill.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Ah 2010, the days before everyone could take high res photos with their cellphones.

I assume you're referring to the V-Neck, so I'll add that it was a good 4-5 inches below his neck line...maybe 6? Either way he earned instant "bro cred". Seemed like the type of guy to order another bottle of grey goose at a Vegas club while the rest of his party is still trying to figure out who ows what on the first bill.
No, pics of the lady he was hitting on

Old
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
I think morrow is the better option for our team. I think he gives us more of what we need....physicallity...fighting.....and yes I want him because he`s canadian.....i don`t understand why this concept is seen as mindblowing and xenophobic or racist I`m a ****ing canadian.....the sport I love is dominated by canadians......I want to cheer for canadians on my canadian hockey team.....I`m sure people in the states are hoping for their clubs to get americans and there`s nothing wrong with that. jesus....some people on here get so offended about something so miniscule...Should i stop cheering for team canada at the olympics too...........if it was anze kopitar and brenden morrow we were deciding over than no...i wouldn`t be choosing morrow....but its not..it`s jagr.....and i feel morrow is the better option...the only...ONLY way we;re going to know who`s right is if morrow or jagr signs here and has a fantastic season and the other goes somewhere else and plays like ****.
The part that you're missing is that valuing anyone based on arbitrary criteria (race, religion, citizenship, sexuality, colour of skin, etc) is racism/chauvinism.

There are many, many criteria that goes into what makes a hockey player valuable to your team, but where they were born isn't one of them. Your first thought was all that you needed to say.

Just 'cause many Americans do it - doesn't make it right.

I'd take Morrow over Jagr myself, but not because one is Canadian and one is not.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Gary320

I'd take Morrow over Jagr. But I just think Morrow might bring alot more to the team than Jagr would.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
The part that you're missing is that valuing anyone based on arbitrary criteria (race, religion, citizenship, sexuality, colour of skin, etc) is racism/chauvinism.

There are many, many criteria that goes into what makes a hockey player valuable to your team, but where they were born isn't one of them. Your first thought was all that you needed to say.

Just 'cause many Americans do it - doesn't make it right.

I'd take Morrow over Jagr myself, but not because one is Canadian and one is not.
You realize your talking about the Montreal Canadiens? The most openly xenophobic team in the NHL.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I'd take Morrow over Jagr. But I just think Morrow might bring alot more to the team than Jagr would.
I think we need more size and experience in our top 6 than bottom 6.

Jagr would finally give Plekanec a good winger that he has chemistry with.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I think we need more size and experience in our top 6 than bottom 6.

Jagr would finally give Plekanec a good winger that he has chemistry with.
Until Plekanec gets the puck from a turnover, flies down on what should be a 2 on 1 and due to Jagr having minimal speed it's just 1 on 1... then Plekanec vs 2.

Closed Thread