HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLI

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 06:15 AM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
I think we have pretty much almost ran out of **** to talk about. The defense discussion seems futile at this point, and hell Roy has pretty much told us what the lineup will look like initially.

I put it at about a 20% chance we make anymore real moves before the season starts, just don't have a good feeling about it.

Odds on Duchene's contract? Or another extension for someone else?

I was initially thinking Duchene might take something more reasonable at 6M, but the time it's taking them to get it done does not seem like it would be a good thing.

Besides Duchene, at least one of the centers, and Landeskog need to be extended IMO.

Duchene @ 6.5M
Landeskog @ 4M
Stastny @ 5.5M

At least O'Reilly is under team control regardless.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:22 AM
cgf

I've actually very much gotten the impression that we are going to make a trade to upgrade Wilson for a more reliable EJ partner. Something with just picks and prospects ontop of Ryan.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I think we have pretty much almost ran out of **** to talk about. The defense discussion seems futile at this point, and hell Roy has pretty much told us what the lineup will look like initially.

I put it at about a 20% chance we make anymore real moves before the season starts, just don't have a good feeling about it.

I was initially thinking Duchene might take something more reasonable at 6M, but the time it's taking them to get it done does not seem like it would be a good thing.

Besides Duchene, at least one of the centers, and Landeskog need to be extended IMO.

Duchene @ 6.5M
Landeskog @ 4M
Stastny @ 5.5M

O'Reilly situation is interesting. I'm sure he was ready to leave Avalanche last season, but now we have new management and everything. Maybe he will stay. I doubt he had problems with Sakic/Roy. Roy will love O'Reilly.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:

Duchene @ 6.5M
Landeskog @ 4M
Stastny @ 5.5M

Too cheap. Stastny will get open-market price, $6-7 million long-term, I mean look at guys who got massive contracts this summer.. Stastny is better than any of those guys. Landeskog will get 5+million, thanks O'Reilly. Duchene is about right, I think. I wouldn't go much higher, yet, but If he keeps playing like last season. Lock him up, quickly.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:35 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:

Duchene @ 6.5M
Landeskog @ 4M
Stastny @ 5.5M

So many available d on the market. Patience. Still got over 100 days to upgrade d before season.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I believe 'Canes fans think Pitkanen is gone.
They also think he's done defensively from what I read. Thought he was a viable trade target, but sounds like he's been pretty much an offensive minute eater who has been slightly protected defensively and not really a 2way guy for them anymore (at least in a top pairing type role).

Old
07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

So as I'm reading up on all these great defensemen the Avs have almost no shot of acquiring, I noticed Vlasic was a Rempart.

Looks like only a 1 year overlap with Roy, but my mind quickly began creating a scenario where SJ implodes this year and goes full rebuild...Vlasic demands a trade...the Avs improve significantly under Roy...Vlasic decides he wants to go to be part a young team who looks to be a perennial contender for the next decade and is coached by his former juniors coach....

I really need the second wave of signings to start, so I have more to read about and less time to dream up the most unlikely Avalanche scenarios ever.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I don't think there will be anymore signings.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes, they call me on and on across the universe - The Beatles
Old
07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't think there will be anymore signings.
Even signings of other teams would be a good distraction...I just want camp to get here already. I'm more excited for this season to start than I have been in about 4 years.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:16 AM
ABasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
So as I'm reading up on all these great defensemen the Avs have almost no shot of acquiring, I noticed Vlasic was a Rempart.

Looks like only a 1 year overlap with Roy, but my mind quickly began creating a scenario where SJ implodes this year and goes full rebuild...Vlasic demands a trade...the Avs improve significantly under Roy...Vlasic decides he wants to go to be part a young team who looks to be a perennial contender for the next decade and is coached by his former juniors coach....
That's a pipe dream, but a really good one. Vlasic is one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL, IMO. Very good, solid player with a decent contract.

Kind of looks like the roster's set, doesn't it?

Old
07-10-2013, 10:19 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
That's a pipe dream, but a really good one. Vlasic is one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL, IMO. Very good, solid player with a decent contract.

Bingo.

I mean I want to believe that they're going to sign someone else for the Defense, but I just don't see it happening.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

I think 1 of Sarich/Hunwick will get waived by the end of camp, both if Elliott impresses, but I think we can see primarily our lineup to start the year as of now.

That said, could still see McGinn + be involved in a trade if a great opportunity comes up as we are heavy on LW with ROR/Staz getting slotted in at LW too. Maybe minor moves with Olver or McLeod to free up a roster spot or improve our PK possibilities.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I think 1 of Sarich/Hunwick will get waived by the end of camp, both if Elliott impresses, but I think we can see primarily our lineup to start the year as of now.

That said, could still see McGinn + be involved in a trade if a great opportunity comes up as we are heavy on LW with ROR/Staz getting slotted in at LW too. Maybe minor moves with Olver or McLeod to free up a roster spot or improve our PK possibilities.
McLeod won't be traded. He is a veteran leader on this team and was one of the first players to talk to Roy after Roy got the job.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:04 AM
the_fan

People who keep saying Avs should of signed a d-man, or they don't care about improving the d etc, you guys obviously haven't seen the Sakic's interview with EJ Hradek where he asked Joe what's the next move after they drafted Mac, Sakic's exact words were...

We would like to fix our back end, i'm not sure if anything available in this free agency,but we'll see.

Sakic and Roy are well aware of their D situation don't worry, but Sakic knows what he's talking about because Scuderi, Ference or the other UFA's this year weren't going to be the players that were gonna fix the Avs D.

Avs need a top 2 d-man to play with EJ. Give Sakic, Roy some time, i'm sure they will look into addressing that issue which wont be easy, but i think it has to come through a trade.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Too cheap. Stastny will get open-market price, $6-7 million long-term, I mean look at guys who got massive contracts this summer.. Stastny is better than any of those guys. Landeskog will get 5+million, thanks O'Reilly. Duchene is about right, I think. I wouldn't go much higher, yet, but If he keeps playing like last season. Lock him up, quickly.
Stastny could get $7m open market (from the leafs), but I hope that's not what he's asking for. If it is, we need to get some assets for him. No way he should get paid more than Duchene.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 108
I'm still expecting something to happen. I'll say 60% chance of a trade of some sorts, 1% chance of an offer-sheet. The rest is doing nothing.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I've actually very much gotten the impression that we are going to make a trade to upgrade Wilson for a more reliable EJ partner. Something with just picks and prospects ontop of Ryan.
What team are willing to trade a top pairing defender for Ryan Wilson and picks/prospects?

Maybe Wilson, Elliot and next year's first rounder for Coburn? And while Coburn is an upgrade over everything but EJ I wouldn't consider him good enough to anchor a pairing.

Wilson, Elliot, two firsts for Yandle?

I think Roy and Sakic will want to keep their first round picks so there won't be any trades happening. The team doesn't need another middle pairing guy. It's a legit #1/#2 that's needed and the Avs just don't have the pieces to trade for one. Even when ROR can be traded we're looking at ROR + another roster player + high picks/prospects for a legit top pairing guy.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Stastny could get $7m open market (from the leafs), but I hope that's not what he's asking for. If it is, we need to get some assets for him. No way he should get paid more than Duchene.
Yep. At this point I wouldn't pay Stastny 7 million a season. Sounds like way too much, but he might even get it. A lot of desperate teams for young and good center like Stastny.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
C'mon Alzner, file for arbitration, and then c'mon Caps, walk away from Alzner's award!

Old
07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
C'mon Alzner, file for arbitration, and then c'mon Caps, walk away from Alzner's award!
Follow Varly to Denver!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
What team are willing to trade a top pairing defender for Ryan Wilson and picks/prospects?

Maybe Wilson, Elliot and next year's first rounder for Coburn? And while Coburn is an upgrade over everything but EJ I wouldn't consider him good enough to anchor a pairing.

Wilson, Elliot, two firsts for Yandle?

I think Roy and Sakic will want to keep their first round picks so there won't be any trades happening. The team doesn't need another middle pairing guy. It's a legit #1/#2 that's needed and the Avs just don't have the pieces to trade for one. Even when ROR can be traded we're looking at ROR + another roster player + high picks/prospects for a legit top pairing guy.
We don't need to get a top pairing stud in the trade, just someone more reliable than Wilson so we at least have two top 4 caliber pairings. Something like Wilson, our 2nd round pick and one of our goalie prospects for Coburn would be a great example. Doesn't bring in a top shelf guy, but gives us someone we can trust next to EJ and start having a solid top 4 while our prospects develop and then we can consolidate defensemen for that top pairing guy in trade.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

Pretty sure I've said this before but I'll say it again. IMO nothing will happen with our defense until the trade deadline. They'll be using the time until then to figure out who is the best to keep, Stas or Radar. This'll mean play, contract negotiations, attitude, salary, etc. They will then trade the other center (possibly in a package deal) for defensive help. IMO, this seasons is a battle of the centers, one will stay the other shall leave.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
bromando

Is Greg Sherman still a big part of contract negotiations? I know the final say on player is now in Roy/Sakic hands...but in the future negotiations with O'Reilly, will Sherman be there? I'd hope Roy/Sakic take it over entirely so that no bad blood is in there.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Avs71

Just for the sake of talking about something...

Stastny+ 2014 1st for David Backes

Backes-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Tanguay
McGinn-MacKinnon-Downie

Would you?

Old
07-10-2013, 03:02 PM
InjuredChoker

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 16 s
Blues trade David Perron to Oilers. Details to follow. #RDS

Closed Thread