HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carbo is to blame for all the dumb penalties

Old
10-27-2006, 09:59 AM
AH

vCash: 500
Carbo is to blame for all the dumb penalties

That this team takes.

I see too many similarities with the Julien mess from last season when it was obvious that he had lost complete control of the team.

Basically it comes down to hustle and proper positioning (especially 5 on 5). These things are lacking in the team's game since the start of the season.

Discipline is a key component of coaching.

On a side note, have you guys seen the +/- stats for the team? uuuuugggggglyyyy *Once again, that's an operative of the 5 on 5 mess this team is in*

Last edited by AH: 10-27-2006 at 10:05 AM.
AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM
hendextall

No, inconsistent reffing is to blame for all the dumb penalties. The players don't know what is and what isn't a penalty anymore, it's ridiculous.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Our record 5-2-2
We are 2nd in the Northeast Division
We are 4th in the Eastern Conference
We are 3rd on the PK in the NHL
We are 2nd on the PP in the NHL

yes u are right....I can see how Carbo is on his way to loosing COMPLETE control over his team

Last edited by Habs4Lyfe: 10-27-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
That this team takes.

I see too many similarities with the Julien mess from last season when it was obvious that he had lost complete control of the team.

Basically it comes down to hustle and proper positioning (especially 5 on 5). These things are lacking in the team's game since the start of the season.

On a side note, have you guys seen the +/- stats for the team? uuuuugggggglyyyy *Once again, that's an operative of the 5 on 5 mess this team is in*
If the team is 5-2-2, they obviously don't take too many penalties. If your losing most of your games cuz of penalties fine, but the habs only lost 2 games in regulation so far, never lost in OT, only SO. Whether or not they take dumb penalties is hardly relevant when they have the #1 PK in the league. Which btw, they killed massive 5on3's and stuff the other night.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:14 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
That this team takes.

Errr... no.

Quote:

You're saying we are not doing a good job on the PK? (where positining and hustle is the most important?)

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:15 AM
oop007*

It's funny how somebody had to post something that dumb after the Bruins game, the game where everyone KNEW the reffing was crap. The reffing was plain horrible that game, that isn't carbo's fault. And btw, Carbo doesn't have master control over all the players, they do dumb things sometimes which can hardly be made Carbo's fault.

Old
10-27-2006, 10:16 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I think the number of penalties is high for every team in the league.

It would be safe to say our success on the PK is a testament to Carbo's coaching

Old
AH

As usual, people trot out the record to camouflage the issues at hand.

The team has certain problems which are bound to catch up to them eventually.

Old
oop007*

Oh. And please btw, don't ever compare Guy Carbonneau (A defensive genius) to Claude Julien (a coach who did F all for the habs).

Old
10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
Our record 5-2-2

yes u are right....I can see how Carbo is on his way to loosing COMPLETE control over his team
I don't think the record is relevant here; what was Julien's record after 10 first games last season?

But I do agree wth you that Carbo has control over his team.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:18 AM
mikeg

Let's not compare this to the Julien era...

Remember Julien took a long time to bench players (Theo.. Ribs.. Zed.. etc) he did not shake the lineup, did not give Lats (edit - youth (who remembers him benching Komi, barely playing Higgins, zhogin, etc?) a chance, showed 0 emotion behind the bench, and never openly criticized the play of his players.

With Carbo you have a fiery guy who has already put Samsonov on notice, does not hide his displeasure to the public and officials.

I think a fairer comparison to Carbo would be Tremblay, the only difference is that Carbo has had much more time behind the bench as an assistant then Tremblay ever had.

For the most part I think Carbo has done an ok job thus far, it's only been 9 games.. let's discuss this at the mid-way point.

mike

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:19 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
You're saying we are not doing a good job on the PK? (where positining and hustle is the most important?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
It would be safe to say our success on the PK is a testament to Carbo's coaching
Muller is in charge of the PK, not Carbo.

Old
10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
If the team is 5-2-2, they obviously don't take too many penalties. If your losing most of your games cuz of penalties fine, but the habs only lost 2 games in regulation so far, never lost in OT, only SO. Whether or not they take dumb penalties is hardly relevant when they have the #1 PK in the league. Which btw, they killed massive 5on3's and stuff the other night.
Thats the kind of stuff that bothers me. We still dont know if our PK is legit or the other team's PP is off to start the year. If you haven't noticed, we are now middle of the pack in home PK and only a couple % points to falling to middle of the pack in overall PK%. It's living very dangerously if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
It's funny how somebody had to post something that dumb after the Bruins game, the game where everyone KNEW the reffing was crap. The reffing was plain horrible that game, that isn't carbo's fault. And btw, Carbo doesn't have master control over all the players, they do dumb things sometimes which can hardly be made Carbo's fault.
I haven't had a chance to post this week. This has been bothering me since last Saturday.

Old
10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:

Just like the players, coaches are a team. Carbo has his hand in it as well.

Old
10-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:

so u are saying that Carbo...who was a Defensive GENIUS during his time doesnt have ANY input on the Habs PK??

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:26 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Let's not compare this to the Julien era...

Remember Julien took a long time to bench players (Theo.. Ribs.. Zed.. etc) he did not shake the lineup, did not give Lats (edit - youth (who remembers him benching Komi, barely playing Higgins, zhogin, etc?) a chance, showed 0 emotion behind the bench, and never openly criticized the play of his players.

With Carbo you have a fiery guy who has already put Samsonov on notice, does not hide his displeasure to the public and officials.

I think a fairer comparison to Carbo would be Tremblay, the only difference is that Carbo has had much more time behind the bench as an assistant then Tremblay ever had.

For the most part I think Carbo has done an ok job thus far, it's only been 9 games.. let's discuss this at the mid-way point.

mike
I am not saying he is doing a poor job, just pointing out the team's flaws which rest on his shoulders. While the majority of people around here worry about the line combinations in 30 page threads and gush over a junior age player with 0 points in 9 games and -5, I wish to discuss REAL issues.

Old
10-27-2006, 10:27 AM
pavlako11

Quote:
That this team takes.

Ok, so? We're 5-2-2, and 2 losses came vs. the Sabres. I think Carbo gets a big "PLUS" for us being like that. He's a rookie coach, he's not Scott Bowman, he's learning.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
So you are saying Carbo has NO input into the PK???? Come on, the guy is the head coach. If you are going to blame him for how YOU think think the team is playing, then you must give credit to him when they are doing things right (Special Teams play has been great).

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:28 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
so u are saying that Carbo...who was a Defensive GENIUS during his time doesnt have ANY input on the Habs PK??
He must have input. But then where is the 5 on 5 prowess he was noted for as well? And the team discipline?

Old
10-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
I am not saying he is doing a poor job, just pointing out the team's flaws which rest on his shoulders. While the majority of people around here worry about the line combinations in 30 page threads and gush over a junior age player with 0 points in 9 games and -5, I wish to see these issues adressed before too long.

This part I agree with you. Lats is lost out on the ice. I don't see how this guy will be anything more then a 3rd or 4th line player. That said, it has only been 9 games and we will all see if he has the ability to pick up his game.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
I am not saying he is doing a poor job, just pointing out the team's flaws which rest on his shoulders. While the majority of people around here worry about the line combinations in 30 page threads and gush over a junior age player with 0 points in 9 games and -5, I wish to discuss REAL issues.
Totally agree with this. The Lats experiment is over and he should head back to Juniors and give his spot to Kostitsyn who should've had it in the first place. He much more "NHL" ready than Lats is.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:36 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

If anything, last night Carbo saved us a penalty. When Kovalev got tossed he could have been furious (as most other coaches would be) and the way the refs were last night, that would have resulted in a bench minor. Instead he shut up, took it, and motivated his team to bail Kovalev out.

Guy Carbonneau is a classy, intelligent bench coach. If he hasn't sparked the offense yet, I'm not worried, because our defense and special teams remains among the elite in the league.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
This part I agree with you. Lats is lost out on the ice. I don't see how this guy will be anything more then a 3rd or 4th line player. That said, it has only been 9 games and we will all see if he has the ability to pick up his game.
If you said that about every rookie that played 9 games in the league where would Komi be? Spezza? Marc-Andre Fleury?

Common, Lats at the time earned his spot on the team and Carbo gave him a chance. Having done that, it's probably easier for Gainey/Carbo to go to Lats and say, "In the best interest of yourself, we feel you should go another year in the Juniors." Now they have evidence he's not ready yet.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hendextall

Quote:
That's funny, because I replied with an answer to the penalty issue and you seem to have ignored it. Doesn't really look like you want to discuss this issue much, just to try to drive your point home is all.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Yes if you say so.Also Youppi is the reason why we on Monday against Buffalo.He was very boring

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote