HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rfa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
  #1
Wisent42
Registered User
 
Wisent42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Södertälje
Country: Sweden
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Rfa

Maybe there's a thread on this already and if so, I appologize, but I haven't seen it.

Hodgson, Hackett, Tropp, Flynn and a couple of other players still are not signed to new contracts. I haven't seen any reports on ongoing contract discussion. What's happening? Should we be worried? I understand that if another team makes an offer the Sabres front office has a chance to match the offer, or be compensated, and there's the arbitration route, but still; what's the hold up? Is it common that contract negotiations with RFA players take time?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
  #2
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I'm not worried about it yet and it's not uncommon for RFAs to not be dealt with at this point of the offseason. Hopefully they all get done soon, though.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 06:58 PM
  #3
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Paul Hamilton didn't have kind words for Rich Winter (Hodgson's agent).

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
  #4
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Maybe there's a thread on this already and if so, I appologize, but I haven't seen it.

Hodgson, Hackett, Tropp, Flynn and a couple of other players still are not signed to new contracts. I haven't seen any reports on ongoing contract discussion. What's happening? Should we be worried? I understand that if another team makes an offer the Sabres front office has a chance to match the offer, or be compensated, and there's the arbitration route, but still; what's the hold up? Is it common that contract negotiations with RFA players take time?
Yes, because there is no time pressure in July to get them taken care of.

Once a team extends a qualifying offer to their own RFA, that player's right's are locked to that team. The only option the player would have is not to sign the QO, and have someone sign them to an offer sheet. In practice, this is very rare.

They'll get taken care of. Don't sweat it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
  #5
Wisent42
Registered User
 
Wisent42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Södertälje
Country: Sweden
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Yes, because there is no time pressure in July to get them taken care of.

Once a team extends a qualifying offer to their own RFA, that player's right's are locked to that team. The only option the player would have is not to sign the QO, and have someone sign them to an offer sheet. In practice, this is very rare.

They'll get taken care of. Don't sweat it.
Thanks. I was unsure on the QO-part, thanks for clearing that up.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:41 PM
  #6
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Hodgson is one Im concerned about.

ytopp, Flynn, Hackett, Adam, and others Im not worried about. dont see them being Offer sheeted.

Hodgson is a player that could be offer sheeted.

My opinion they just follow the Ennis model and do a 2-3 yr bridge contract. Maybe a 3/$10M contract where next year its like $2.75M, $3.25M, and $4.00M

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:31 PM
  #7
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Hodgson is one Im concerned about.

ytopp, Flynn, Hackett, Adam, and others Im not worried about. dont see them being Offer sheeted.

Hodgson is a player that could be offer sheeted.

My opinion they just follow the Ennis model and do a 2-3 yr bridge contract. Maybe a 3/$10M contract where next year its like $2.75M, $3.25M, and $4.00M
Ennis isn't the type of player anyone would waste an offer sheet on. Buffalo isn't up against the cap so it wouldn't accomplish anything unless it was a severe over-payment, in which case that's a stupid move from the offering team.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:09 AM
  #8
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Ennis isn't the type of player anyone would waste an offer sheet on. Buffalo isn't up against the cap so it wouldn't accomplish anything unless it was a severe over-payment, in which case that's a stupid move from the offering team.
I assume you mean Hodgson, not Ennis. I could see a team offer-sheeting Hodgson because it wouldn't be crazy draft pick compensation.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:51 AM
  #9
wunderpanda
Sabretage
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Paul Hamilton didn't have kind words for Rich Winter (Hodgson's agent).
What was said? I couldn't find any info about this.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:44 AM
  #10
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
What was said? I couldn't find any info about this.
It was a WGR radio interview.

I think he was asked if we should be worried about the Hodgson negotiations.

He said something like: yes, because Rich Winter is an idiot to deal with.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:47 AM
  #11
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 500
I hope someone offer sheets Hodgson for a bunch of picks. He's not that good.

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:54 AM
  #12
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I hope someone offer sheets Hodgson for a bunch of picks. He's not that good.
The most we'd get is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I wouldn't take it unless it's from a team like Florida.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:12 AM
  #13
Deevo
Registered User
 
Deevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
It was a WGR radio interview.

I think he was asked if we should be worried about the Hodgson negotiations.

He said something like: yes, because Rich Winter is an idiot to deal with.
Winter is notoriously painful to deal with. We'll be paying for Hodgson.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:13 AM
  #14
Deevo
Registered User
 
Deevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I hope someone offer sheets Hodgson for a bunch of picks. He's not that good.
What is your basis for this? His defensive play?


Hodgson was our best forward in the offensive zone last year IMO.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:16 AM
  #15
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Winter is notoriously painful to deal with. We'll be paying for Hodgson.
I think he will sign just before training camp.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:17 AM
  #16
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
What is your basis for this? His defensive play?


Hodgson was our best forward in the offensive zone last year IMO.
except on the PP.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
  #17
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,956
vCash: 500
The timing is good for Hodgson, at least. Lock him in now for a long-ish term at a cap hit that might be high for now while we have plenty of cap space. As the cap increases and we need to re-sign the other youngsters down the road and we need the space, that hit likely won't seem as bad. Hopefully.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:06 AM
  #18
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I've been worried about this Hodgson negotiation since he was traded here. He was moved here with a sense of entitlement. If it is going poorly like ROR did last year, I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
  #19
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
Not worried in the least.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:20 AM
  #20
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I assume you mean Hodgson, not Ennis. I could see a team offer-sheeting Hodgson because it wouldn't be crazy draft pick compensation.
You are correct, typing while skyping with an interesting view had me a tad bit distracted

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:21 AM
  #21
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
I think that the lousy draft pick compensation system for RFAs is unfair. Why can Chicago offersheet Hodgson for example a 5 year deal for $25 million and only pay out the 30th and 90th overall picks? Meanwhile Florida has to offer up number 1 overall and the 61st. Why this bias in favour of the better teams? Chicago could dump an aging vet and the team that loses the player gets hosed--or has its rebuilding under the cap screwed. I have suggested that there needs to be some valuation of the picks---it cannot be perfect of course-but maybe a top ten pick is worth 2 picks in the last third of the round and an extra second for the mid ten. I do not want to stop the movement of players but some fairer system ought to be devised.
As to Hodgson--I would be happy to see him get PK Subban money and terms....

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:12 AM
  #22
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
I think that the lousy draft pick compensation system for RFAs is unfair. Why can Chicago offersheet Hodgson for example a 5 year deal for $25 million and only pay out the 30th and 90th overall picks? Meanwhile Florida has to offer up number 1 overall and the 61st. Why this bias in favour of the better teams? Chicago could dump an aging vet and the team that loses the player gets hosed--or has its rebuilding under the cap screwed. I have suggested that there needs to be some valuation of the picks---it cannot be perfect of course-but maybe a top ten pick is worth 2 picks in the last third of the round and an extra second for the mid ten. I do not want to stop the movement of players but some fairer system ought to be devised.
As to Hodgson--I would be happy to see him get PK Subban money and terms....
What are you talking about? There's no bias.

For a 5/$25 offer sheet, a team would have to give up their 1st and 3rd. It MUST be their own picks, not picks acquired by trade. WHERE those picks are isn't really relevant. If Florida has a crappy year, and has the 1st overall, then they have to take that into consideration if they want to present that offer sheet. Maybe they can better use that 1st overall in another move instead of offer sheeting.

Either way, this argument is pretty weak IMO.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:12 AM
  #23
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Additionally, its not like you sign someone to an offer sheet expecting to suck that year and finish in the lottery. The offer sheet is used to acquire that final piece you think will put you over the top, hence why you don't see them tossed around for 2nd tier players outside of the Blues-Canucks pissing match a few years ago with Kesler. The Flyers looked at Weber as being that final piece and that they wouldn't acquire anyone of significance drafting at the end of the 1st round. IMO, if you go out and sign an offer sheet, and crap out then you got what you deserved.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
  #24
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
The Rangers are knocking out their RFAs one after another. Why do we always delay with these things?

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:29 AM
  #25
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
The Rangers are knocking out their RFAs one after another. Why do we always delay with these things?
There's no delay, man. We have time.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.