HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Bonk?

Old
10-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
What happened to Bonk?

Out of all his years in ottawa and last season in montreal, I can never remember Bonk taking the puck to the net with authority from the outside on a consistent basis.

He's been in the league for roughly 10 years now. Its very rare that after 10 years, a player suddenly decides to start driving to the net. He's also plastering people into the boards rather than doing a skate by with an attempted stickcheck.

He's finding room in the slot to get off some quick shots. I barely recongize this guy when you compared him to 2005-2006.

I wonder what what or who made Bonk change his game.

I'll tell you this much though. I'm lovin it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:48 AM
superstar436

ANSWER : Last yeat of contract !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Out of all his years in ottawa and last season in montreal, I can never remember Bonk taking the puck to the net with authority from the outside on a consistent basis.

He's been in the league for roughly 10 years now. Its very rare that after 10 years, a player suddenly decides to start driving to the net. He's also plastering people into the boards rather than doing a skate by with an attempted stickcheck.

He's finding room in the slot to get off some quick shots. I barely recongize this guy when you compared him to 2005-2006.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:49 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
u.f.a next year

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:49 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Bonk has definitively been one of our best players so far... Arguably as solid as Koivu IMO...

Higgins = god

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:51 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as I like Bonk, and have for quite some time, I would hardly call his Zednik-one-hand-on-the-stick-around-the-net move "taking the puck to the net with authority from the outside on a consistent basis" as you put it. He did draw a penalty, but aside from that, there's really no point in that play.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Shabutie

I don't know exactly what you mean, but usually when Bonk drives the net, he goes around and tries a bad rap-around which usually doesn't lead to much. He's been more solid than last year due to being healthy and of course this being his contract season... Imo even if he does finish with 40-50 pts, he's not very needed (imo Pleks makes a better 3rd line center).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Sthabs

I think he was injured for almoste the whole season last year

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 01:22 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Combination of being injured last year and playing in a contract season this year.

But he looked very good down the stretch and in the playoffs this year, I'm just glad it's carrying over to this season. He's a real workhorse out there, I'm glad he's on the team.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean, but usually when Bonk drives the net, he goes around and tries a bad rap-around which usually doesn't lead to much. He's been more solid than last year due to being healthy and of course this being his contract season... Imo even if he does finish with 40-50 pts, he's not very needed (imo Pleks makes a better 3rd line center).
The Bonk we're seeing these days is a good 3rd line center, so was Plekanec last year. Problem is: we're still lacking a 2nd line center

I just hope Gainey and the gang won't fall in love with the "I'm-UFA-this-summer-so-I-suddenly-find-my-game" Radek Bonk, and sign him to an overly-cheerful extension. Plekanec could do just as well on the 3rd line, for cheaper, and we could focus on searching someone to play in his spot, the second line, where he doesn't belong

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:05 AM
mcphee

I think Bonk recognized his matchup at least twice last night. The B's rookie Lashoff, who I thought played pretty well overall, gave up the outside, and Bonk, being the veteran that he is, took what was there.

He does handle the puck well, and being smart enough to read the matchup in effect led to the winner last night.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:32 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
ANSWER : Last yeat of contract !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:06 AM
TheHoser

Bonk is an incredible defensive player, any offense he generates is bonus. But that play in the last minute was great; he knew that Lashoff was playing his first game in the NHL and that he could force him to draw a rookie penalty. Great play.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Boulette Cannon

I think hes been watching the Maurice Richard movie too much!

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:21 AM
The n00b King *

cocaine is a hell of a drug

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Bonk has definitively been one of our best players so far... Arguably as solid as Koivu IMO...

Higgins = god

Ryder = Moses...leader to the promise land, but doesn't actually make it there...passes the torch to Joshua = Latendresse, Price?

heeeeeee!

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
The Bonk we're seeing these days is a good 3rd line center, so was Plekanec last year. Problem is: we're still lacking a 2nd line center

I just hope Gainey and the gang won't fall in love with the "I'm-UFA-this-summer-so-I-suddenly-find-my-game" Radek Bonk, and sign him to an overly-cheerful extension. Plekanec could do just as well on the 3rd line, for cheaper, and we could focus on searching someone to play in his spot, the second line, where he doesn't belong
I don't agree with Plek not being no2 material. We've been trying to find teamates for Kovalev for the past year now and Samsonov has a reputation for being difficult to match (just ask on the boston boards!). Plek hustles but we don't really have the easiest winger to give a rookie center.

However, where I agree is in hoping Gainey does not give Bonk an over-cheerful extension. Our last 2 GMs (Savard-Gainey) are always giving me cold sweat when comes the time for contract signing. Brisebois at 4 mil, Theo at 5 mil+, Bonk at 2.4 mil, Samsonov for 3.5 mil... always a bit more expensive than we have to pay.

I'll be the first to admit Bonk is playing great this season but he's still a sub 2 mil player IMO. I'm also a little wary of players suddently finding motivation on their contract year but that might just be me.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 09:55 AM
big_habs_fan

The entire third line has been amazing - I think Bonk's improved play has been in part due to the chemistry of the third line. Johnson has also had an incredibly positive impact and Perezhogin, although not scoring, has played very well. Add to that the PK tandem of Bonk and Johnson.

Bottom line, Bonk has shown up this year for day 1 - here's to everyone staying healthy and continuing to play hard.

But please, could we stop the ridiculous parade to the penalty box. Where is the discipline. Let's win some games 5 on 5. We need some flow to our games.

Go Habs Go

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:01 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
I think he was injured for almoste the whole season last year
He was.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
Bonk is an incredible defensive player, any offense he generates is bonus. But that play in the last minute was great; he knew that Lashoff was playing his first game in the NHL and that he could force him to draw a rookie penalty. Great play.
Incredible is a bit strong.

What I have heard with interest is how players tend to play better when the play with Bonk. I would love to see Bonk playing with Lats or Perezhogin and Kovalev and Plakanek with Johnson and Samsonov.

Higgins Koivu Ryger
Perezhogin (Lats) Bonk Kovalev
Samsonov Plakanec Johnson
Begin Lapierre Murray (now thats an energy line)

At this point I would lean on sending Lats down to junior.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:23 AM
GoneAway

vCash:

Old
10-27-2006, 10:28 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Incredible is a bit strong.
I don't think incredible is too strong. Bonk has to be one of the best 15 centres in the league defensively, and has adjusted to the new rules very well. Traditional defensive centres like John Madden haven't adjusted as well from the reduced clutching and grabbing, where has Bonk has (partly because that was never part of his game). If you reserve words like 'incredible' for players like Gretzky or Ovechkin, then Bonk isnt deserving, but to say Bonk isn't an above-excellent defensive centre doesn't do him justice.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Pax Macioretty

I don't care how good he is this year, i hope it's his last year with us. We have far too much kids waiting either in the AHL or CHL to earn a spot on our team but have no room. Players like Chipchura and Lappierre can do what he does and for alot of years to come as well. Pleckanek is another who's more suited for 3rd line duties then 2nd line. I really don't see how Bonk can do a better job then him.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
I don't care how good he is this year, i hope it's his last year with us. We have far too much kids waiting either in the AHL or CHL to earn a spot on our team but have no room. Players like Chipchura and Lappierre can do what he does and for alot of years to come as well. Pleckanek is another who's more suited for 3rd line duties then 2nd line. I really don't see how Bonk can do a better job then him.
I hope we re-sign Bonk at the end of the season. We are, at last, seeing the player Gainey had in mind when he was acquired. There is no one on the team or in the farm system that can bring his combination of size, skating and hockey sense to the third line. Moreover, he makes the players around him better which makes him even more valuable. Sure, there are kids in the system, but Chipchura is nowhere near ready and Lapierre plays a game more akin to Begin. If anything, Plekanec could be the odd man out...

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:10 PM
mcphee

I think Bonk is an example of a player who somehow got comfortable in a passive style of play. He was happy to be the 3rd man high, not 'lay it all out' trying to attack the net. Sundstrom was the same. I think in Ottawa, Bonk was exposed in playoffs where the play got more intense and he'd gotten into bad habits [let Hossa do it]. He is a good defensive C, not great, but he's getting more involved by the game. He'll never be a great up tempo guy, and maybe he's playing better because it's a contract year, I don't know.

Maybe he realized that to play in the league now he has to do some things differently. Last year, McGuire was justified in making Bonk his whipping boy, this year, not so much.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:36 PM
wade

he has a weak shot though.. lol

and I dont care what anyone says, he looks slow on the break away he had

wade is offline   Reply With Quote