HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Halibut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
There's a thread on the main board discussing Peckham's future. Looks like the Habs are a team that could use his size. Wonder why MacT couldn't get anything for his rights? Qualify him and trade him or whatever.
Probably because people on messageboards are more willing to give up assets for marginal players than NHL gm's are. He couldnt crack our line up at all last year and hasnt managed to do so over the past few seasons. Any other GM around the league knew he'd be available this summer as a UFA once we started adding other pieces or at worst available on the waiver wire.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'm just surprised that a piece like Peckham (who must look tempting to GM's somewhere, young Dman who doesn't skate terrible and has size) couldn't even return a 6th or 7th. That's pretty much a no risk trade. Hell, even future considerations...

Old
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
OILFAN #81

Thank god Clarkson accepted the Toronto deal. I can't believe we offered him more money over the same 7 year deal. That would have been a disaster of a contract.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

I don't get the hype over Clarkson. I don't care what else he brings, you look at his numbers in past years and they're not that great.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm just surprised that a piece like Peckham (who must look tempting to GM's somewhere, young Dman who doesn't skate terrible and has size) couldn't even return a 6th or 7th. That's pretty much a no risk trade. Hell, even future considerations...
The risk was qualifying him at hie 1+ mil on a one way deal. Teams will want him on a cheaper deal that is two-way.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The risk was qualifying him at hie 1+ mil on a one way deal. Teams will want him on a cheaper deal that is two-way.
Ahh, rog. Wasn't sure about that.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
One question I have is why GMs from teams like ours don't go looking far afield for talent more often. We did it with Belov, but you'd think there'd be more hidden gems in Russia that could be valuable for our team. The majority of the most talented Russian players are already in the NHL, but surely there are other impact players and experienced veterans currently in the KHL and perhaps other leagues.
We can do so much of it especially when the team is so inexperienced..

MacT did go after Raanta hard... Signed Belov, Joensuu, a couple college graduates etc. Drafting Slepyshev was also like finding a hidden gem... Classic case of Russian factor but having 'inside info' into his wishes might get us a solid player for a late 3rd round pick.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
umm the guy has been UFA for a week ... if he looked temptig to a GM..he would be signed by one already.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
Line up #2 is a no go, Hall who is probably our best player is playing 3rd line minutes with Gordon ?
and kyle clifford on the first line? lol if clifford is on your top 2 lines your team blows.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
How about both those guys.

Move out PRV and the 1st for Vanek.

Pitlick and the 2nd for Clifford.

Hemsky for Smith.

And sign Mueller.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Vanek - Gagner - Yakupov
Clifford - Gordon - Mueller
Smyth - Smith - Jones
I'd revamp the bottom 6 a bit:

Clifford-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu-Smith-Brown

I don't mind Mueller, but we need more grit and toughness in the lineup more than another skilled player. Even if we couldn't land Vanek, I'd bump Clifford to the 2LW and then roll with this:

Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
Eager-Smith-Brown

07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
and kyle clifford on the first line? lol if clifford is on your top 2 lines your team blows.
The Kings must've blown last season then. He brings a lot of what we lack, board play, a net presence, toughness, physical play, and he does have some hands believe it or not.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
umm the guy has been UFA for a week ... if he looked temptig to a GM..he would be signed by one already.
So have guys like Mikhail Grabovski, who was one of the better defensive C's in the eastern conference last season....

GM's are still reassessing their needs and what they have room for with the lower cap...

Old
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
RisingSun

It's been quiet on the trade front these days.

Too quiet...

Old
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Kelevra

What about Erhoff and Ott? All this talk about Vanek with Buf rebuilding but thats not what we need. I am sure a package based around 1st and 2nd next year, as well as maybe Marincin and Musil would be fair. Maybe even too much but enough of worrying about the future. We need to get better now instead of perpetural rebuild.

Add those two players are we are looking a lot better. Trade Hemsky for any guys that were offered on the main board from other teams (Foligno, Spaling, Smith) and all of a sudden we actually have a balanced team thats just under the cap.

Hall-RNH-Yak
Foligno or Smith-Gange-Eberle
MPS-Gordon-Ott
Smyth-Lander-Jones

Erhoff-Ference
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Shultz

Thats a team that maybe just needs an upgrade on 4th line C but otherwise dosnt really have any serious holes.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd revamp the bottom 6 a bit:

Clifford-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu-Smith-Brown

I don't mind Mueller, but we need more grit and toughness in the lineup more than another skilled player. Even if we couldn't land Vanek, I'd bump Clifford to the 2LW and then roll with this:

Joensuu-Gordon-Jones
Eager-Smith-Brown
I don't know if Joensuu can be a regular line up player yet. He couldn't crack the Isles.

I'd guess our bottom 6 looks like this with what we currently have under contract
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Eager-Lander/_____-Smyth/Brown
_____

Old
07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
RisingSun

Joesnuu hasn't played a full NHL season, let alone half a season. Putting him on the third line would be a colossal failure.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
Line up #2 is a no go, Hall who is probably our best player is playing 3rd line minutes with Gordon ?
I addressed that in my second last stanza.

Gordon played 15 minutes a night Phoenix, 17-18 will not be a stretch.

And like I admitted, there are other options there at center. Arcobello plays top 6 minutes (AHL) and is an offensive compliment, Lander if he takes another step etc.

Doesn't account for PP time Hall would receive in spades either.

Last edited by ToeDrag83: 07-10-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Again, it wasn't set up as a 1-2-3 punch. More just three lines you can roll throughout the game.

And my thinking was that Clifford would be a good compliment to the RNH-Eberle duo. If there's one thing those two need to produce, it's space. Clifford has the size, grit, and tenacious forechecking to make this happen for them.

That's my thinking with that potential line.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
RisingSun

We need some got damn center depth. What happens if RNH starts the season late or Gagner gets injured.

Gagner
Gordon
Lander
Smyth?

Or

RNH
Gordon
Lander
Smyth?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:29 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
I don't know if Joensuu can be a regular line up player yet. He couldn't crack the Isles.

I'd guess our bottom 6 looks like this with what we currently have under contract
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
_____
From the sound of it, there were injury issues and a general lack of opportunity holding him back. He had some success once he got to play. I think he's got a good shot at being a regular 4th liner on this team. Obviously it would be better not to be relying on that though.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
We need some got damn center depth. What happens if RNH starts the season late or Gagner gets injured.

Gagner
Gordon
Lander
Smyth?

Or

RNH
Gordon
Lander
Smyth?

Brad Boyes?

I'm pretty surprised that nobody has offered him a contract yet. He had a pretty good year with the Isles last year scoring 35 points and would bring a little size to our line-up.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
It's been quiet on the trade front these days.

Too quiet...
My guess is it has a bit to do with the Prospect Camps, the teams want to see their players and recent draft picks, plus teams may not want to trade a kid out of there in the middle of it.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Any interest in signing Steve Begin for our 4th line? Looked ok with the Flames last year.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:

Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
_____
You would sure as hell hope so since we gave him a 2 year 1 way deal! IMO he will play for us at the NHL level, look at our depth in the bottom 6 and tell me how he won't

Quote:
Joesnuu hasn't played a full NHL season, let alone half a season. Putting him on the third line would be a colossal failure.
Tell that to management. Basically the only LW that we have that I'd be confident in that role would be Paajarvi and as of the moment he is slotted into our 2LW spot.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Any interest in signing Steve Begin for our 4th line? Looked ok with the Flames last year.
He can't be any worse than what we have. I really hoped that we'd land Magrattan, but he re-upped in Calgary for 2 more years.

Closed Thread