HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Native Americans in the NHL?

Old
07-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 500
Scott Gomez.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Everlong
-

\

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
50MissionCap
Old Poison

Dallas Eakins' birth-father was half-Cherokee.

50MissionCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:01 PM
buckridesagain*

Wayne Simmonds

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
the best I can find so far (the past 10 minutes)

http://www.native-languages.org/kidfaq.htm#2

It comes down to when they were settled in the area I guess.

If you asked Jordin Tootoo a question about being a "native-american" I don't think he'd go Robidas on you, but it's not the PC terminology.
I think the problem is that he may think someone's calling him an American Indian. I mean, if the Inuit were there first, then they are Native (North) Americans.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson, etc.

All native to America

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Choralone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
And his son Jordan Nolan of the Los Angeles Kings. Here's Jordan with mom and dad.

Don't forget Dwight King. His brother D.J. was already listed.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Bawston
Rookie User

Jordan Nolan and Jordin Tootoo are the only current ones I can think of.

I think there's more who are mixed with Native and something else. There haven't been many full-blooded ones according to nativehockey.com.

Bawston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:29 PM
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv

vCash: 50
Theo Fleury

MapleLeafs9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrillaunit18 View Post
Setoguchi I believe is a Native.
only if there are aboriginal people in Japan

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
only if there are aboriginal people in Japan
Ainu.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:27 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

John Kordic was native american right? I vaguely remember him demolishing opponents when I was but a child.

About the current ''are inuits native americans!??'' debate.. wouldn't everyone agree that they are all first nations by definition?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson, etc.

All native to America

Native American means born in America. No one in the history of the world was born in America any more than I was.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
eeddieedwards

Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
John Kordic was native american right? I vaguely remember him demolishing opponents when I was but a child.

About the current ''are inuits native americans!??'' debate.. wouldn't everyone agree that they are all first nations by definition?

A Note on Terminology: Inuit, Métis, First Nations, and Aboriginal
This note on terminology helps media and the general public understand the proper usage of terms such as "Inuit", "Metis", "First Nation", and "Aboriginal", as well as "First Peoples", "Indigenous", and "Innu".

(Adapted from the Report on the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples)

The term Aboriginal People refers to the indigenous inhabitants of Canada when describing in a general manner the Inuit, and First Nations (Indians), and Métis people, without regard to their separate origins and identities.

The term Aboriginal Peoples refers to organic political and cultural entities that stem historically from the original people of North America, rather than collections of individuals united by so-called "racial" characteristics. The term includes the Indian, Inuit and Métis peoples of Canada (see section 35(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982):

(2) In this Act, "aboriginal peoples of Canada" includes the Indian, Inuit and Métis peoples of Canada.

Following accepted practice and as a general rule, the term Inuit replaces the term Eskimo. As well, the term First Nation replaces the term Indian.

For greater clarity:

Aboriginal is an all-encompassing term that includes Inuit, First Nations (Indians), and Métis.

"First Peoples" is also an all-encompassing term that includes Inuit, First Nations (Indians) and Métis.

Aboriginal and First Nations are NOT interchangeable terms.

"Aboriginal" and "First Peoples" ARE interchangeable terms.

Inuit is the contemporary term for "Eskimo".

First Nation is the contemporary term for "Indian".

Inuit are "Aboriginal" or "First Peoples", but are not "First Nations", because "First Nations" are Indians. Inuit are not Indians.

The term "Indigenous Peoples" is an all-encompassing term that includes the Aboriginal or First Peoples of Canada, and other countries. For example, the term "Indigenous Peoples" is inclusive of Inuit in Canada, Maori in New Zealand, Aborigines in Australia, and so on. The term "Indigenous Peoples" is generally used in an international context. The title of the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples is a prime example of the global inclusiveness of the term "Indigenous Peoples".

Difference between Inuit and Innu:

Innu are a First Nations (Indian) group located in northeastern Quebec and central Labrador.

eeddieedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:44 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Um no, Scott is of Mexican dissent, most Mexicans are Native Americans just because they speak the Spanish doesn't make them not Native Americans.
Shockingly most people dont know this.

I was telling a friend a story about George Lopez explaining to Mariah Carey on his now cancelled show that he is a mix of European and Native American and her asking him "now where does Hispanic come into this?" and he had no idea what was wrong with what she said, he said "yeah why didn't he mention that he's Hispanic?" I'll tell you my brain almost exploded

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 07-10-2013 at 04:50 PM.
aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:44 PM
mcleex

vCash: 608
Isn't Jordan Tootoo?

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:51 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeddieedwards View Post
A Note on Terminology: Inuit, Métis, First Nations, and Aboriginal
This note on terminology helps media and the general public understand the proper usage of terms such as "Inuit", "Metis", "First Nation", and "Aboriginal", as well as "First Peoples", "Indigenous", and "Innu".

(Adapted from the Report on the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples)

The term Aboriginal People refers to the indigenous inhabitants of Canada when describing in a general manner the Inuit, and First Nations (Indians), and Métis people, without regard to their separate origins and identities.

The term Aboriginal Peoples refers to organic political and cultural entities that stem historically from the original people of North America, rather than collections of individuals united by so-called "racial" characteristics. The term includes the Indian, Inuit and Métis peoples of Canada (see section 35(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982):

(2) In this Act, "aboriginal peoples of Canada" includes the Indian, Inuit and Métis peoples of Canada.

Following accepted practice and as a general rule, the term Inuit replaces the term Eskimo. As well, the term First Nation replaces the term Indian.

For greater clarity:

Aboriginal is an all-encompassing term that includes Inuit, First Nations (Indians), and Métis.

"First Peoples" is also an all-encompassing term that includes Inuit, First Nations (Indians) and Métis.

Aboriginal and First Nations are NOT interchangeable terms.

"Aboriginal" and "First Peoples" ARE interchangeable terms.

Inuit is the contemporary term for "Eskimo".

First Nation is the contemporary term for "Indian".

Inuit are "Aboriginal" or "First Peoples", but are not "First Nations", because "First Nations" are Indians. Inuit are not Indians.

The term "Indigenous Peoples" is an all-encompassing term that includes the Aboriginal or First Peoples of Canada, and other countries. For example, the term "Indigenous Peoples" is inclusive of Inuit in Canada, Maori in New Zealand, Aborigines in Australia, and so on. The term "Indigenous Peoples" is generally used in an international context. The title of the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples is a prime example of the global inclusiveness of the term "Indigenous Peoples".

Difference between Inuit and Innu:

Innu are a First Nations (Indian) group located in northeastern Quebec and central Labrador.
Looking through this thread it seems like the OP wanted to know about the indigenous decent players of north america but naive political correctness seems to have shown up. Similar to african american compared to black american. OPs native american wish could even be claimed by any american born player depending on who you talk to.

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:12 PM
eeddieedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Looking through this thread it seems like the OP wanted to know about the indigenous decent players of north america but naive political correctness seems to have shown up. Similar to african american compared to black american. OPs native american wish could even be claimed by any american born player depending on who you talk to.
Please explain how Canadian legal terms are "naive political correctness"? I have no idea what that even means. It's pretty simple. In Canada, we have First Nations, Metis and Inuit people, all with separate and distinct history, culture etc. I just posted the terminology reference for those who were confusing Inuit with First Nation.

I'm not sure about the United States, but I believe indigenous people are still commonly referred to as Native Americans.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeddieedwards View Post
Please explain how Canadian legal terms are "naive political correctness"? I have no idea what that even means. It's pretty simple. In Canada, we have First Nations, Metis and Inuit people, all with separate and distinct history, culture etc. I just posted the terminology reference for those who were confusing Inuit with First Nation.

I'm not sure about the United States, but I believe indigenous people are still commonly referred to as Native Americans.
When he called every single Canadian he mentioned Native American it's okay to assume he just meant guys who are descended from North American Aborigines, he was not hurling around racial slurs he just misplaced the term, correcting him was unnecessary

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Laggin70

Isn't Rico Fata part Cherokee?

Laggin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:35 PM
eeddieedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
When he called every single Canadian he mentioned Native American it's okay to assume he just meant guys who are descended from North American Aborigines, he was not hurling around racial slurs he just misplaced the term, correcting him was unnecessary
Please refer to my original post. Context context context. I was responding to someone's position of: wouldn't everyone agree that they are all first nations by definition?

By definition, no. It would be like calling a French person Greek. I never insinuated that someone was "hurling around racial slurs". I am sorry if it came off as such.

And yes, it is alright to assume that by Native Americans OP meant Aboriginals. I didn't post the terminology to try and correct the OP, just to respond to that other poster.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Toastman

I forget his name, but he used to be the head coach of the Islanders a few years ago. Pretty sue he was Native

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:52 PM
eeddieedwards

Here's one:

Börje Salming

Old
07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
I forget his name, but he used to be the head coach of the Islanders a few years ago. Pretty sue he was Native
Yeah, Ted Nolan. Apparently he's coaching Team Latvia these days. Thanks Wikipedia!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:40 AM
thegreatgasby*

rene bourque
vernon fiddler
tj oshie
carey price
kyle chipchura

thegreatgasby* is offline   Reply With Quote