HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
If ap hit ufa, I would literally hand him the checkbook and tell him to write down whatever the **** he wants.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Who wrote that?

AP might as well just play this year and hit UFA, and get pretty much any contract he wants.

I don't think STL should be looking at the Weber contract now; rather, they should be looking at how Sutter walked away and NSH got nothing for one of the best D-men in the NHL.

If AP is of the mindset that he only wants a 2-4 year deal to get him to UFA, than its not that far off to think he may decide to play this year out and hit UFA.
A shorter deal also might indicate that he doesn't want to be there long term. Suter swore that he loved Nashville, but it became pretty clear when he hit UFA that he had very little intention of staying in Nasville.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
TimtheDJ84

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
A shorter deal also might indicate that he doesn't want to be there long term. Suter swore that he loved Nashville, but it became pretty clear when he hit UFA that he had very little intention of staying in Nasville.
This isn't the case here, just trust me on that.

TimtheDJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
Trust some random person on the internet? Sure!

Guys that really want to play somewhere get signed immediately. I'm not saying I know the inner workings of what's going on in STL, just that there's some smoke.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Who wrote that?

AP might as well just play this year and hit UFA, and get pretty much any contract he wants.

I don't think STL should be looking at the Weber contract now; rather, they should be looking at how Sutter walked away and NSH got nothing for one of the best D-men in the NHL.

If AP is of the mindset that he only wants a 2-4 year deal to get him to UFA, than its not that far off to think he may decide to play this year out and hit UFA.
Andy Strickland, writer for the Blues.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/S...-More-on-Petro

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Pass. I don't want a guy slower than molasses. He's practically done anyway.

I rather go with a young guy over him & Gagne.
This guy, I like this guy.

I'd rather roll with McGinn on the third line than have Morrow tbh.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I keep forgetting about McGinn, I think he's gonna get number crunched out.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Curufinwe

Rangers re-sign Carl Hagelin [2 years/$2.25 million AAV].

This is the type of deal Couturier and BSchenn should get if cap space is tight next season. Unless they break out and have monster years.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

pass. he has little left and either would rather let one of the kids earn a spot or sign Gagne instead.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Rangers re-sign Carl Hagelin [2 years/$2.25 million AAV].

This is the type of deal Couturier and BSchenn should get if cap space is tight next season. Unless they break out and have monster years.
if history tells us anything is that Holmgren will give them a JVR type deal in money and term.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if history tells us anything is that Holmgren will give them a JVR type deal in money and term.
The history is based off an old CBA though.

People will ***** about any deal, just look at Giroux.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
Really? I can think of a couple of reasons why Pietrangelo would want out, and the biggest reason might be Hitchcock. He's known for wearing thin on players after a while, and young players in particular. It's also pretty well known that Hitchcock preaches defensive responsibility so much that it oftens snuffs out any offensive potential that a team may have. For all this talk about how defensive systems are the way to win the cup, Hitch hasn't gotten any closer than Lavy and his "defense be damned" approach in the past couple of years. I think Chicago, L.A., and Boston showed us that while you need to focus on defense to win, you also need talented forwards and a coach that allows them to go out there and be creative to score goals. I'm not sure Hitch gives his players those freedoms, and AP may never think they'll win like that.

Another thing that can't be ignored is the recent trend of players wanting to play closer to their hometown. We saw Suter and Parise go to Minnesota with that being one of the biggest factors. That's something that all teams in non-traditional breeding grounds for NHL players are starting to realize and deal with.

This is all speculation, but it is something to think about. Pietrangelo is the franchise there in St. Louis. I can't imagine that St. Louis would play with fire like this just to get him at a million or so cheaper per year. There has to be something else that's keeping them apart at this point.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I love how fans complain how old Lecavalier, Streit and Emery(Emery is younger than Lundqvist) are and than I see this post about Morrow....WTF? Morrow is like 35 and can't skate anymore.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
The history is based off an old CBA though.

People will ***** about any deal, just look at Giroux.
Homer has a bit of a history of overpaying players before they're ready in the hope that they turn into something that makes the deal a bargain. Coburn and JVR are examples. Coburn was a miss, JVR might work out.

07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Prongo
Beer

The last thing the blues want to do is play hard ball with their franchise cornerstone defender. That is what doesn't make sense. Yes I understand they want to get a good deal not their part, but why not just pay him the money if they are waiting for an offer sheet. That doesn't make any sense. Like weber last year, they almost lost their franchise player because they were being cheap. I understand they are small market teams, but the players they low ball or play hard ball with are the wrong players. You give those guys the money. Then figure the cap out from there. Yes they are professional, but you will destroy relationships with players if you continue to be cheap with them. They will want to play somewhere else at the end of the day. So army keep fooling around with your franchise defender, all it does is hurt your franchise

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Homer has a bit of a history of overpaying players before they're ready in the hope that they turn into something that makes the deal a bargain. Coburn and JVR are examples. Coburn was a miss, JVR might work out.
He jumped the gun on Lupul, vanRiemsdyk, and Voracek. I would count Jones, but he didn't really jump the gun on him; he just threw money at him like an idiot.

Coburn's progression:

1.3 for 2 years
3.2 for 2 years
4.5 for 4 years

That's hardly jumping the gun. People need to stop imagining Coburn as Randy Jones.

Of the people he's jumped the gun on, Voracek was the only real win for the Flyers. Lupul eventually became worth his money after being traded, and vanRiemsdyk will be worth his money soon as well if he isn't there already.

Comparatively, Giroux got a 3.75m cap hit after a 76 point season.

I can see the Flyers playing this game with Schenn and Couturier as well if not for lesser money on 3-year bridge contracts.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
He jumped the gun on Lupul, vanRiemsdyk, and Voracek. I would count Jones, but he didn't really jump the gun on him; he just threw money at him like an idiot.

Coburn's progression:

1.3 for 2 years
3.2 for 2 years
4.5 for 4 years

That's hardly jumping the gun. People need to stop imagining Coburn as Randy Jones.

Of the people he's jumped the gun on, Voracek was the only real win for the Flyers. Lupul eventually became worth his money after being traded, and vanRiemsdyk will be worth his money soon as well if he isn't there already.

Comparatively, Giroux got a 3.75m cap hit after a 76 point season.

I can see the Flyers playing this game with Schenn and Couturier as well if not for lesser money on 3-year bridge contracts.
Coburn isn't Randy Jones, but he sure as hell isn't a 4.5 million dollar defenseman.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Another thing to point out about deals given to Lupul, vanRiemsdyk, Voracek, Simmonds, and even Hartnell back in the day, is that they were longer term than bridge deals carrying into UFA while being shorter deals than organizational commitment contracts like Giroux's.

So Pietrangelo is looking for something similar; a contract more wealthy than a bridge contract and less year commitment than a franchise contract.

Basically Pietrangelo is trying to do one or both of these things:

1. Maximize his potential earnings despite the risk of injury.
2. Explore the opponent market and potentially get out of STL.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Coburn isn't Randy Jones, but he sure as hell isn't a 4.5 million dollar defenseman.
In this market he sure as hell is.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
In this market he sure as hell is.
Which is why it's so incredibly vital to consistently develop your own Dmen.

Is it just me, or has the supply of really good Dmen dried up in the last decade?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Think of it this way...

Would Hartnell be the same productive 4.75m/year winger with Bozak as his center compared to Giroux?

Of course not...

Just like Coburn is not going to be the same productive 4.50m/year defenseman with Gervais as his partner.

These are complementary players. The range for complementary players is 4.00-5.50 now. It's no longer the 3.00-4.50 we used to expect. It's a brave new world.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
He was barely a $1.5 million defensemen last year, but I'm hopeful he can rebound. He still has plenty of trade value if it comes to that.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Which is why it's so incredibly vital to consistently develop your own Dmen.

Is it just me, or has the supply of really good Dmen dried up in the last decade?
Honestly, we're just in the bridge period between generations.

Lidstrom, Stevens, Pronger, Chara, etc... These guys are getting old.

Now you're seeing Weber, OEL, Doughty, Subban, etc... The new generation of defensemen.

Guys like Chara and Weber are bridging the gap, but we're really just creeping into the new generation of defensive HOFers.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
He was barely a $1.5 million defensemen last year, but I'm hopeful he can rebound. He still has plenty of trade value if it comes to that.
Sometimes I hate people. He was much better than a $1.5m defenseman.

Somewhere along the line Coburn became Lauridsen and Lauridsen became Coburn on these boards.

It's ****ing astonishing how stupid this all is to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:53 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Sometimes I hate people. He was much better than a $1.5m defenseman.

Somewhere along the line Coburn became Lauridsen and Lauridsen became Coburn on these boards.

It's ****ing astonishing how stupid this all is to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
Coburn was terrible last season. The worst out of our regulars

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote