HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You would sure as hell hope so since we gave him a 2 year 1 way deal! IMO he will play for us at the NHL level, look at our depth in the bottom 6 and tell me how he won't

Tell that to management. Basically the only LW that we have that I'd be confident in that role would be Paajarvi and as of the moment he is slotted into our 2LW spot.
Completely depends on how he looks in TC. If he's not good enough to play in the NHL it's pretty cut and dry, no ?

Old
07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Brad Boyes?

I'm pretty surprised that nobody has offered him a contract yet. He had a pretty good year with the Isles last year scoring 35 points and would bring a little size to our line-up.
I was a bit shocked as well. Isn't he a winger though? Either way I'd take a look at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Any interest in signing Steve Begin for our 4th line? Looked ok with the Flames last year.
I get the feeling we sign some sort of proven 4th liner depth late in the summer.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Joesnuu hasn't played a full NHL season, let alone half a season. Putting him on the third line would be a colossal failure.
Not trying to be a jerk but neither has Yakupov, Klefbom, Belov, Justin Schultz etc..
I see most of the guys i just listed be a huge part of the the big club next season

I agree that penceling in these unknowns is premature but declaring the move a colossal failure is just as premature.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Schultz played the equivalent of a full season with his AHL and NHL games combined.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Completely depends on how he looks in TC. If he's not good enough to play in the NHL it's pretty cut and dry, no ?
Smyth, Eager, Brown, Jones, R. Hamilton

Unless I'm missing someone, those players will be Joensuu's competition for a bottom 6 wing spot. I like his chances especially if Eakins sits Smyth when isn't doing Jack squat.

07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Hall-RNH-Yak
Foligno or Smith-Gange-Eberle
MPS-Gordon-Ott
Smyth-Lander-Jones

Erhoff-Ference
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Shultz

Thats a team that maybe just needs an upgrade on 4th line C but otherwise dosnt really have any serious holes.
they won't chase Ott now after the Gordon (the new blue collar savior of mediocrity for the city) pick up. id rather have Ott. better offensively and hits a ton. similar FO%.

Mac-T is going to have a lateral roster after all the big talk, sorry to say.

and Smyth needs to be told to retire. letting that pity story go on any longer is wasting a roster spot.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Whatever happened to the Paul Ranger rumours ? Doesn't look like he's signed anywhere yet ... I wonder if Mac T still thinks he can land Coburn or feels like he's done enough with our D ?

Old
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Eskimo44

I'd go after Vanek for sure. You know he should be willing to sign here and he fills a need. As a veteran with size and goalscoring i'd call him the perfect addition. If he's out there you offer a lot. Not Paajarvi, i think you guys are nut, but pretty much everything you have at your disposal without setting the cause back.

Hemsky/Omark/Rajala (who ever they want)
Marincin
1st-14, 2nd-15, Con.1st-15

Old
07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
they won't chase Ott now after the Gordon (the new blue collar savior of mediocrity for the city) pick up. id rather have Ott. better offensively and hits a ton. similar FO%.

and Smyth needs to be told to retire. letting that pity story go on any longer is wasting a roster spot.
Yeah that oh so pivotal 4th line spot.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Whatever happened to the Paul Ranger rumours ? Doesn't look like he's signed anywhere yet ... I wonder if Mac T still thinks he can land Coburn or feels like he's done enough with our D ?
I think there's always been a good chance that Ranger just stays in the AHL. He doesn't seem too keen on the NHL so I wouldn't be surprised if it never materializes.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
MacT stated he wants to add more competition for the 4-6 D spots. Paul Ranger might still be a possibility.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
You would sure as hell hope so since we gave him a 2 year 1 way deal! IMO he will play for us at the NHL level, look at our depth in the bottom 6 and tell me how he won't

Tell that to management. Basically the only LW that we have that I'd be confident in that role would be Paajarvi and as of the moment he is slotted into our 2LW spot.
For some reason, the concept of depth is foreign to the oilers management. MacT goes on about bottom D depth but that won't win us games. The funny thing is for a so called "offensive team" our forward depth REALLY sucks. Every single cup contender team has some sort of deep depth in atleast on position.
Look at Boston, thier center depth is so solid, they could afford to put Seguin on his offside. Philly has dynamite center depth now, with Couturier playing on the third line, who would easily be on our second or first line. I know my demands are far fetched but I really think we should really consider solidifying our top two lines and rolling from there.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I'd go after Vanek for sure. You know he should be willing to sign here and he fills a need. As a veteran with size and goalscoring i'd call him the perfect addition. If he's out there you offer a lot. Not Paajarvi, i think you guys are nut, but pretty much everything you have at your disposal without setting the cause back.

Hemsky/Omark/Rajala (who ever they want)
Marincin
1st-14, 2nd-15, Con.1st-15
That's a lot to give up for a player who could be gone in 1 year.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Yeah that oh so pivotal 4th line spot.
Go and ask the players if they'd rather have old man Smyth there or a guy that can deal with opposing players that are roughing them up and see what they have to tell you.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Go and ask the players if they'd rather have old man Smyth there or a guy that can deal with opposing players that are roughing them up and see what they have to tell you.
Umm how?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but neither has Yakupov, Klefbom, Belov, Justin Schultz etc..
I see most of the guys i just listed be a huge part of the the big club next season

I agree that penceling in these unknowns is premature but declaring the move a colossal failure is just as premature.
I get that but Joensuu isn't elite talent. The guy had a great season in the SM but lets be realistic, there has been numerous European skaters that have had great seasons on euro ice, only to fail in the NHL. And I'm not willing to wager that Joensuu will be an anomaly, he's great for the fourth line but third? I'm not so sure.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
What do you know about it?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Umm how?
Twitter.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
For some reason, the concept of depth is foreign to the oilers management. MacT goes on about bottom D depth but that won't win us games. The funny thing is for a so called "offensive team" our forward depth REALLY sucks. Every single cup contender team has some sort of deep depth in atleast on position.
Look at Boston, thier center depth is so solid, they could afford to put Seguin on his offside. Philly has dynamite center depth now, with Couturier playing on the third line, who would easily be on our second or first line. I know my demands are far fetched but I really think we should really consider solidifying our top two lines and rolling from there.
Our bottom 6 has to be one of the 5 worst in the NHL if not the very worst. Also one of the softest if not the softest.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:09 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Thank god Clarkson accepted the Toronto deal. I can't believe we offered him more money over the same 7 year deal. That would have been a disaster of a contract.
Yup, we dodged a bullet there. That would have been horrible for this franchise to pay him 5.5 - 6m on a 7 year deal. Scary stuff...

Old
07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
What do you know about it?
Hall saying I hope that some teams will be scared of us next year like we've been scared of them? Guys like Hall, Eberle, RNH, Gagner, etc. getting ragdolled and roughed up because the other team knows that there will be no response. Smyth is a waste of a roster spot at this point in time, it's just a shame that he's looking to cash in on every red cent like he always has or he could leave with his head held high.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:11 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post

Don't think we will be as bad as everyone thinks. With all the development of our kids and adding some compete level with the guys we did sign is gonna get us in the playoffs. You can't possibly not get in with the talent we have.

If we had a better then average management team, we would challenge for the cup this year with some trades or signings. The bottom line is these managers suck, but at least they are not making dumb trades with the big 5.

We would have made the playoffs last year if a center was brought in mid-way thru the season when all of ours got hurt. That is when the season turned and went sour. We did very well before that point. Complete incompetence by management ruined the playoffs. Until these guys are cleared out (klowe, and cronies) we will never reach our best.

The minor goal of making the playoffs should be an easy task with high end talent, these idiots don't deserve to be here in thier capacity, it's been far too long that this is the case.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Umm how?
Instead of asking them that exact comment (since they wouldn't throw their teammate Smyth under the bus), simply ask them if they feel safer on the ice when there is a tough guy on the team.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:14 PM
armandh01

Pfft all it took last season* was better coaching to get us 4 or 5 more wins and some slight consistency. That is without 3rd and 4th line production of any kind. A lack of kids getting production early on and some awful D men gaffs by Whitney.

Last edited by armandh01: 07-10-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Don't think we will be as bad as everyone thinks. With all the development of our kids and adding some compete level with the guys we did sign is gonna get us in the playoffs. You can't possibly not get in with the talent we have.

If we had a better then average management team, we would challenge for the cup this year with some trades or signings. The bottom line is these managers suck, but at least they are not making dumb trades with the big 5.

We would have made the playoffs last year if a center was brought in mid-way thru the season when all of ours got hurt. That is when the season turned and went sour. We did very well before that point. Complete incompetence by management ruined the playoffs. Until these guys are cleared out (klowe, and cronies) we will never reach our best.

The minor goal of making the playoffs should be an easy task with high end talent, these idiots don't deserve to be here in thier capacity, it's been far too long that this is the case.
An interesting perspective. I'm of the opinion that based on the trend of the team, the Oilers would have been a lottery pick again in a full season. I see no reason to believe the Oilers will make the playoffs this season yet again, but will be cheering for them to do so.

Interesting how people can see this team completely differently. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's what makes these boards active in the summer

Closed Thread