HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCarron Chooses London Knights OHL for next season

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s..._freshman.html

Only thing that means right now is that Andy Murray has not been told of the decision as of yet.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
As for next year, is there a good chance London will trade him to another contender, because the Knights will be in "rebuild" mode?
There is actually a better chance he would be in the AHL next season, as McCarron would not be bound by the eligibility restrictions most CHL players face, as he would not have signed his OHL contract until after he was drafted into the NHL. If he shows enough development this season, the Habs could sign him to an ELC and assign him to Hamilton for 2014-15.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Habsfan18

As someone who lives an hour from London, I'm good with this.

07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The article on TSN refers to an article in the London press who states something like "McCarron is EXPECTED to". Yes...most likely, that's gonna happen, but nothing is official yet.
http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/09/bi...ghts-over-ncaa
This is the London Free Press saying:
Quote:
Sources say they expect forward Michael McCarron to decide to play with the Knights rather than attend Western Michigan University. An official announcement may be made as early as Wednesday after McCarron conferred with his family on Tuesday.
So we will know today or tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
65 Games in OHL vs 28 in NCAA. No question, the right move.
Knights will play in the memorial cup because it is in London next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Anyone have an idea how their top 9 will look? They have so many high picks on their roster.
Line-up last season.
Top players are:
  1. Max Domi (12th pick (Phx) - should stay in OHL);
  2. Seth Griffith (Bos - 20 years old - New ELC: AHL or NHL?);
  3. Alex Broahurst (Chi - 20 years old - third year of his ELC: AHL?);
  4. Bo Horvat (9th pick (Van) - reputed NHL ready - could he stay in Vancouver?);
  5. Chris Tierney (SJS - 19 years old);
  6. Josh Anderson (CLB - 19 years old);
  7. Matt Rupert (Undrafted - 19 years old);
  8. Ryan Rupert (Tor - 19 years old);
  9. Brett Welychka (Undrafted - 19 years old).
Horvat is 6' and Tierney and Anderson are 6'1", rest are less than 6'.

So you can expect to see McCarron park his ass in front of the net during PP.
He is also very good on the boards.
But I don't know enough about the destination of each players.

Griffith is the only RW in those 9 players.
I think there is a very good chance to see him in top-6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Don't know how exactly, but they are stacked, and I doubt any of their first rounders this year will play in the NHL. Maybe Domi will surprise because of the lack of offence on Phoenix, but I doubt it. I'd expect McCarron to start on the 3rd line.
Griffith and Broadhurst may go to AHL.

Given his size, they will certainly try him on first PP and on top-6.
Domi - Horvat - McCarron would be a great first line.

Horvat is said to be NHL ready and the Nucks gave Schneider to get him.
They need a center after loosing Roy and Lapierre to STL.
For now they have Shroeder and Gaunce in the pipeline.
Most likely Shroeder will be back in Vancouver.

What do you guys think?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:48 PM
25get

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s..._freshman.html

Only thing that means right now is that Andy Murray has not been told of the decision as of yet.
Wow. They are both very high on him.

Murray certainly thinks he presented a good case during the devp camp.

He should not be with the Habs in 2014-15, so he could go to WMU one year and the next to London.

Could he do the season at WMU and go to finish the season and the memorial cup with the knights?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:57 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Murray can go **** himself. Improving in a 35 games schedule and developing a mean streak with a cage in the ****ing face is retarded.

London is the IDEAL place for him to develop.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Murray can go **** himself. Improving in a 35 games schedule and developing a mean streak with a cage in the ****ing face is retarded.

What are you, blaming Murray for trying to sell his program? Yeesh. Take it down a notch.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:

I agree with you!

I ******* hate de NCAA route. Look at Kristo, he was 24 years old, didn't play more than 30ish games a year and no pro-training camp. I simply hate it.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What are you, blaming Murray for trying to sell his program? Yeesh. Take it down a notch.
No, I'm saying his arguments are ridiculous. A prospect will improve more by being in the OHL and dedicating his off-ice time to gym training, than playing 35 games in University while studying. Nothing against Murray selling his salad, but he's obnoxious to the point of being annoying about it.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

First, he does have a program to sell. Then, as much as I'm a big Wolverine fan, I do remember how REALLY pissed off Berenson was when the Habs decided to take MaxPac out of that program after 1-year while in this case, Murray already suggest to everybody that McCarron, at the worst, could be out of there in 2 years and would prepare him to even be a Hab right out of College. Honestly, of all the coaches and programs from the NCAA, it's the first time I hear somebody like Murray talk. I,d have no problem seeing McCarron there EVEN if I prefer London too especially for the schedule and the Mem Cup.

Honestly, there are pros and cons for every program. McCarron might indeed become stronger and improve more his hockey skills in West Mich. But with London, he'd do everything else...and maybe even some of those too. So, London should be the choice. But Murray would be good to Mike.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I agree with you!

I ******* hate de NCAA route. Look at Kristo, he was 24 years old, didn't play more than 30ish games a year and no pro-training camp.
Come on now. First, there's nothing wrong with the NCAA route IF you don't end up there for the whole 4 years. Most great prospects didn't do all 4 years and it didn't stop them from becoming great NHL'ers. Kristo did decide to continue and that was more a problem based on the player himself than the infamous NCAA route...

Old
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
boynickname

WOW....I thought this story was true. I am going back to bed now. When I wake up I hope the story is true by then.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:12 PM
S Bah

Quote:
The general feeling is that McCarron will play top-six minutes in London, possibly even on the first line.

I guarantee you the Knights didn't invest their pick in him (and whatever else they gave up to "convince" him) to play him in their bottom six.
Agreed the Hunter's know talent, there are reasons the London Knights are one of the top CHL teams year after year. McCarron's development will be assured in the Knight's program, just look at Tinordi's play and how he excelled in London. That's what to expect from Mike's time with the Hunter's, his offensive game, skating and positional play will all benefit from playing in the OHL.

Imagine if all their drafted players return to London, McCarron will be playing with some of the best Junior players in the world of hockey. Horvat, Domi, Zadorov (world class) and Remi Elie and many more that will become pro's no doubt. Add McCarron to that list of world class players by the time he graduates to the Pro's.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
First, he does have a program to sell. Then, as much as I'm a big Wolverine fan, I do remember how REALLY pissed off Berenson was when the Habs decided to take MaxPac out of that program after 1-year while in this case, Murray already suggest to everybody that McCarron, at the worst, could be out of there in 2 years and would prepare him to even be a Hab right out of College. Honestly, of all the coaches and programs from the NCAA, it's the first time I hear somebody like Murray talk. I,d have no problem seeing McCarron there EVEN if I prefer London too especially for the schedule and the Mem Cup.

Honestly, there are pros and cons for every program. McCarron might indeed become stronger and improve more his hockey skills in West Mich. But with London, he'd do everything else...and maybe even some of those too. So, London should be the choice. But Murray would be good to Mike.
I know some might call me a gooning lover for this, but here's the point:

McCarron is a guy with a mean streak, and the reason why he was selected that high, is that this mean streak and his physical abilities make him a prospect who has the potential to become VERY special. I don't want him developing this meanstreak with a cage in his face. I want him to get in the OHL, fight a couple of times, LOSE some fights, so he can see he has a long way to go, and that he has to get tougher. Tough guys willing to make a name for themselves will come in bunches to try him, it can only be good for him. He'll learn adversity, and he'll find it tougher to intimidate players around him.

PLUS, let's get real; Memorial cup AND MANY more games to his schedule is definitely going to help him develop his talent more than playing 35 games in a college, with all of his off-ice time spent on studying. He's already a raw prospect, he has to develop his skills and build a "toolbox" around those tools. IMO, playing 35 games a year would be extremely risky for such a raw guy.

Plus, he can actually attend our training camp that way.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Come on now. First, there's nothing wrong with the NCAA route IF you don't end up there for the whole 4 years. Most great prospects didn't do all 4 years and it didn't stop them from becoming great NHL'ers. Kristo did decide to continue and that was more a problem based on the player himself than the infamous NCAA route...
Sorry, but you won't be able to change my opinion on NCAA. I just hate it. CHL is much more like NHL hockey.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I know some might call me a gooning lover for this, but here's the point:

McCarron is a guy with a mean streak, and the reason why he was selected that high, is that this mean streak and his physical abilities make him a prospect who has the potential to become VERY special. I don't want him developing this meanstreak with a cage in his face. I want him to get in the OHL, fight a couple of times, LOSE some fights, so he can see he has a long way to go, and that he has to get tougher. Tough guys willing to make a name for themselves will come in bunches to try him, it can only be good for him. He'll learn adversity, and he'll find it tougher to intimidate players around him.

PLUS, let's get real; Memorial cup AND MANY more games to his schedule is definitely going to help him develop his talent more than playing 35 games in a college, with all of his off-ice time spent on studying. He's already a raw prospect, he has to develop his skills and build a "toolbox" around those tools. IMO, playing 35 games a year would be extremely risky for such a raw guy.
I know. We all do. Point is, there are no need to come down on Murray the way you did. Don't hate the player, hate the game. He did his job. He would have really be in McCarron's corner and would have helped him greatly. We all understand though that CHL is the way to go for Big Mac.

Quote:
Sorry, but you won't be able to change my opinion on NCAA. I just hate it. CHL is much more like NHL hockey.
Not going to even try to change anybody's opinion. Actually I am a fan of the NCAA based on the whole atmosphere of the game, based on the caliber of play, mostly also based on the love I had for the game since my dad offered me a Wolverine t-shirt. Then, when you go and try to explain the development stage of a prospect, well I do believe that, for sure, you need a NHL close schedule. But for some players, if they indeed use all those to their advantage, workouts and practices could also be key. But you don't stay there 4 years. 3 at the very best. 1 or 2 for KEY players. Mind you, I would also prefer the CHL and the men's league in Russia, Sweden or else for development too. But I just don't think that NCAA is THAT bad....only the years you stay in it is....

Old
07-10-2013, 02:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
No, I'm saying his arguments are ridiculous. A prospect will improve more by being in the OHL and dedicating his off-ice time to gym training, than playing 35 games in University while studying. Nothing against Murray selling his salad, but he's obnoxious to the point of being annoying about it.
The guy's doing a job, he's not a bipartisan observer. You say "nothing against Murray" and then post a bunch of things against Murray.

It's like selling your team to an unrestricted free agent - obviously you're going to embellish the advantages and minimize the disadvantages.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
The guy's doing a job, he's not a bipartisan observer. You say "nothing against Murray" and then post a bunch of things against Murray.

It's like selling your team to an unrestricted free agent - obviously you're going to embellish the advantages and minimize the disadvantages.
Except his arguments are completely out of track.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Except his arguments are completely out of track.
What do you mean? It's completely out of track based on what YOU want...not on what HE'S selling...Murray CAN'T talk about fighting...CAN't talk about length of schedule so he DOES talk about what he can. Like every other NCAA coach out there. Yet, I tell you, out of every NCAA coach, he's the one with the most refreshing style. He sent the 30 teams a letter to explain to them how he envision McCarron,s progression with him. Sorry, but if that's not taking care of somebody, I don't know what is but yes...WITH THE LIMITATIONS that the NCAA has. Of course, fire him tomorrow and let him have a coaching job in the CHL and he won,t sign the same tune. Of course.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
29dryden29

Guess I will be seeing him play every Fri night at home.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Christo182

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Top players are:
  1. Max Domi (12th pick (Phx) - should stay in OHL);
  2. Seth Griffith (Bos - 20 years old - New ELC: AHL or NHL?);
  3. Alex Broahurst (Chi - 20 years old - third year of his ELC: AHL?);
  4. Bo Horvat (9th pick (Van) - reputed NHL ready - could he stay in Vancouver?);
  5. Chris Tierney (SJS - 19 years old);
  6. Josh Anderson (CLB - 19 years old);
  7. Matt Rupert (Undrafted - 19 years old);
  8. Ryan Rupert (Tor - 19 years old);
  9. Brett Welychka (Undrafted - 19 years old).
Do you guys know if Griffith, Broadhurst and Harrington will be back as London's three 20 year-olds? Griffith will dominate the OHL if ever he's back, but I believe the Bruins don't want him to waste a year in the OHL so he should go the AHL way.

With Domi, Horvat (both should be cut from their pro team, though Domi could crack the Yotes' lineup), Tierney, the Rupert twins and Anderson, the Knights will be loaded upfront. With Maatta, Zadorov, Harrington on D and Patterson in between the pipes, they are set. McCarron will be in a heck of a team for sure if he's heading to London

Old
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Guess I will be seeing him play every Fri night at home.
We'll all be holding our breaths in anticipation of your reports.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Looks like I'll need to make a @McCarronWatch, a la @GalchenyukWatch, on Twitter.

If DLR plays in Windsor, then... on off nights of no London games... @DLRWatch...

Goodbye social life.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Looks like I'll need to make a @McCarronWatch, a la @GalchenyukWatch, on Twitter.

If DLR plays in Windsor, then... on off nights of no London games... @DLRWatch...

Goodbye social life.
Yeah, but complete strangers love you for the sacrifice while we pretend to have a social life.

Thanks for the updates, CS. I was totally out getting smashed on the expensive beer there... cognac and totally hitting on this fine ladies and not sitting at home playing games, or watching stupid cooking shows that made me hungry and then gave in and watched the game online via a crappy stream anyways...

Old
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I agree with you!

I ******* hate de NCAA route. Look at Kristo, he was 24 years old, didn't play more than 30ish games a year and no pro-training camp. I simply hate it.
Kristo just turned 23 a few weeks back and only once in his NCAA career did he play less then 40+ games and that was when he injured his toe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
There is actually a better chance he would be in the AHL next season, as McCarron would not be bound by the eligibility restrictions most CHL players face, as he would not have signed his OHL contract until after he was drafted into the NHL. If he shows enough development this season, the Habs could sign him to an ELC and assign him to Hamilton for 2014-15.
I don't see why the Habs would rush him to the AHL though, so I would be very surprised to see him in the AHL at 19.

Closed Thread