HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Don't think we will be as bad as everyone thinks. With all the development of our kids and adding some compete level with the guys we did sign is gonna get us in the playoffs. You can't possibly not get in with the talent we have.

If we had a better then average management team, we would challenge for the cup this year with some trades or signings. The bottom line is these managers suck, but at least they are not making dumb trades with the big 5.

We would have made the playoffs last year if a center was brought in mid-way thru the season when all of ours got hurt. That is when the season turned and went sour. We did very well before that point. Complete incompatence by management ruined the playoffs. Until these guys are cleared out (klowe, and cronies) we will never reach our best.

The minor goal of making the playoffs should be an easy task with high end talent, these idiots don't deserve to be here in thier capacity, it's been far too long that this is the case.
Unfortunately I don't see playoffs happening next year, though I think realignment might help us by shipping Detroit out and Columbus out too it lessens the rivals for that 7-8 playoff seed.

We have to make sure we are better than Winnipeg though.

Old
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I was a bit shocked as well. Isn't he a winger though? Either way I'd take a look at him.
AVOID Brad Boyes like the plague and don't let the stats fool you. He would make the Oilers even softer at forward, something I don't think any of you want.

He was more hindrance than help to Tavares and Moulson last year. He's a turnover machine and the most disturbing part was they were often the result of bad decisions, not physical mistakes. The guy exhibited such low hockey sense, he'd be a terrible match for the Oilers.

The Oilers need more players that can drive the play (i.e. Taylor Hall) rather than a floater like Boyes. Just my $.02.

Old
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hall saying I hope that some teams will be scared of us next year like we've been scared of them? Guys like Hall, Eberle, RNH, Gagner, etc. getting ragdolled and roughed up because the other team knows that there will be no response.
And yet this team has had a veritable revolving door of facepunchers over the past few years, with useless plug Mike Brown as the latest. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe, just maybe, the kids will stop getting pushed around once they are physically mature enough to handle the hard going. We saw a bit of that from Hall last year. Adding another crappy bruiser on the fourth line isn't going to make a lick of difference.

Quote:
Smyth is a waste of a roster spot at this point in time, it's just a shame that he's looking to cash in on every red cent like he always has or he could leave with his head held high.
LOL, this from the guy who two completely useless plugs in Eager and Brown penciled into his bottom six. Talk about wasted roster spots. Sure, Smyth doesn't punch faces, but of those three, he's the only one who can win a puck battle, make and take a pass, etc.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Delicious Pancakes

What about signing Vinny Prospal to a one year deal?

He's 38 but he's a 6'2" LW and had 12G 18A last season in Columbus. He made 2.5M last year.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post

He's 38 but he's a 6'2" LW and had 12G 18A last season in Columbus. He made 2.5M last year.

I'd like him. He'd be great on line 2 if we could find a better C than Gagner in terms of physicality and defensive awareness. Or LW if Hall maybe has to take C until RNH gets back.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
And yet this team has had a veritable revolving door of facepunchers over the past few years, with useless plug Mike Brown as the latest. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe, just maybe, the kids will stop getting pushed around once they are physically mature enough to handle the hard going. We saw a bit of that from Hall last year. Adding another crappy bruiser on the fourth line isn't going to make a lick of difference.

LOL, this from the guy who two completely useless plugs in Eager and Brown penciled into his bottom six. Talk about wasted roster spots. Sure, Smyth doesn't punch faces, but of those three, he's the only one who can win a puck battle, make and take a pass, etc.
We've had pacifists for head coaches, hopefully Eakins coaches like he played the game then maybe you can see the worth of these types of players.

I'd take Eager or Brown over Smyth all day long. They take the body and can stand up for their teammates, get in on the forecheck and cause havoc in front of the net. Smyth at this point doesn't do much except take up a roster spot and not fill any role worth a damn.

joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
AVOID Brad Boyes like the plague and don't let the stats fool you. He would make the Oilers even softer at forward, something I don't think any of you want.

He was more hindrance than help to Tavares and Moulson last year. He's a turnover machine and the most disturbing part was they were often the result of bad decisions, not physical mistakes. The guy exhibited such low hockey sense, he'd be a terrible match for the Oilers.

The Oilers need more players that can drive the play (i.e. Taylor Hall) rather than a floater like Boyes. Just my $.02.
Simpy put I don't disagree, but at some point if we aren't acquiring that perfect #2LW we need to get anyone that can play it regardless of their style.

Old
ponokanocker

What is up with no Brendan Morrow signing anywhere? Is he asking for too much or too long? I hear nothing about him. After Clarkson signed, why wasn't McT going crazy to get Morrow for our top 6? Ruggade LW who is known as a good leader. He only missed 4 games last year, 25 the year before that, but in 2009 to 2011, he only missed 6 games. I know he is a little long in the tooth, but for a few seasons, he could really help the kids out. He also didn't have the most productive playoffs, but its not like we need him to put up a lot of points, just clear some room for our skilled guys, crash the net and retrieve pucks.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Unfortunately I don't see playoffs happening next year, though I think realignment might help us by shipping Detroit out and Columbus out too it lessens the rivals for that 7-8 playoff seed.

There isn't really a 7-8 playoff seed anymore, but to come in as the second wildcard crossing over to Division B, assuming St. Louis and Chicago are untouchable, we need to beat all but one of the rest.

This means not only Winnipeg, but Minnesota, Dallas and Nashville. If Minnesota is the best of that bunch, there's a decent chance there if we're better than the rest.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post

It's odd CBJ hasn't offered him a contract yet. I'd look at him.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Soundwave

Actually looking at the realignment it's not too bad.

We have to be better than Phoenix, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas, and Nashville to get a playoff seed. But I don't think that's too unreasonable. Moving Detroit out basically opens up a spot.

If Seguin busts out in Dallas that really sucks for us, because if you had Detroit out and Dallas declining and Columbus also out East ... that would really open up things and we'd only have to be better than Phoenix, Winnipeg, Colorado, and Nashville ... which is a lot more doable.

Last edited by Soundwave: 07-10-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
What is up with no Brendan Morrow signing anywhere? Is he asking for too much or too long? I hear nothing about him. After Clarkson signed, why wasn't McT going crazy to get Morrow for our top 6? Ruggade LW who is known as a good leader. He only missed 4 games last year, 25 the year before that, but in 2009 to 2011, he only missed 6 games. I know he is a little long in the tooth, but for a few seasons, he could really help the kids out. He also didn't have the most productive playoffs, but its not like we need him to put up a lot of points, just clear some room
Morrow strikes me as a guy looking for term. He's 34 turning 35 in January and there was a good chunk of time in Dallas last year that he looked god awful. He plays a style that wears on a player. Something tells me he's either looking for a 3-5 year deal and if that doesn't come reality then he'll sign a one year deal with a contender.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Morrow strikes me as a guy looking for term. He's 34 turning 35 in January and there was a good chunk of time in Dallas last year that he looked god awful. He plays a style that wears on a player. Something tells me he's either looking for a 3-5 year deal and if that doesn't come reality then he'll sign a one year deal with a contender.
The term is the only reason I could see him not getting a deal. I could see him getting a higher $ 1 year deal and being dealt at the deadline if it doesn't work out either.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
OilerFan4Life

Buffalo has no market for Vanek right now. Who is going to take on that caphit with the cap crunch?

Sabres would be smart to trade him at the deadline for a massive return. He'll get a young roster player, top prospect, and a 1st at the TDD.

Won't get that now.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Sdeol44

Quote:
We've had pacifists for head coaches, hopefully Eakins coaches like he played the game then maybe you can see the worth of these types of players.

I'd take Eager or Brown over Smyth all day long. They take the body and can stand up for their teammates, get in on the forecheck and cause havoc in front of the net. Smyth at this point doesn't do much except take up a roster spot and not fill any role worth a damn.

I would take Eager and brown over smyth as well. Eager started playing the role he needs to be in the AHL. If he stick to it he will be effective for us as a 4th liner. I agree with what you are saying with Eakins as well, i don't think he will just keep waiting and waiting like kruger did when players would be running around against us. Eakins seems like a guy that will send some guys out for immediate action. I hope at least.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Buffalo has no market for Vanek right now. Who is going to take on that caphit with the cap crunch?

Sabres would be smart to trade him at the deadline for a massive return. He'll get a young roster player, top prospect, and a 1st at the TDD.

Won't get that now.
I'd take him right now and amnesty Hemsky if need be (sorry Katz, you got that shiny new arena deal, time to spend a little on the team on the ice). What do they want for him?

Vanek RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov

Yes please.

Old
joestevens29

Douglas Murray still out there?

That actually seems like a decent depth guy to give some challenge that MacT was talking about in the 5-6-7 slot.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
oilexport

Quote:

we have the players that can buzz around and score at will, we seen this many times last year and teams were scared of us. All the teams in the league pounded us cause we were small untill the injuries got us. The 3 centers that went down at once killed us when a trade was not made. We brought up a 165 lbs center from the AHL, that told everybody on our team to quit cause management was not serious about making the playoffs last year (or too stupid to realize this).

We sent our biggest (and fastest) player down to the AHL ??? I don't care about Ben's weaknesses, it's his strengths i would have focused on.

Get Smyth the hell off this team.

simple moves that would have made us successfull.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:37 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'd take him right now and amnesty Hemsky if need be (sorry Katz, you got that shiny new arena deal, time to spend a little on the team on the ice). What do they want for him?

Vanek RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov

Yes please.
Amnesties are over. I think the only way we get another buyout period is if Gagner files for arbitration.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Amnesties are over. I think the only way we get another buyout period is if Gagner files for arbitration.
Can we move Hemsky but retain some of his salary?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
We need some got damn center depth. What happens if RNH starts the season late or Gagner gets injured.

Gagner
Gordon
Lander
Smyth?

Or

RNH
Gordon
Lander
Smyth?

That's why I'm hoping for a Hemsky for Smith type trade, with a free agent signing like Mueller etc. to fill in the #3 RW spot.

RNH
Gagner
Gordon
Smith

If RNH is late to start the season then Lander slides in the #4 C and everyone moves up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Whatever happened to the Paul Ranger rumours ? Doesn't look like he's signed anywhere yet ... I wonder if Mac T still thinks he can land Coburn or feels like he's done enough with our D ?
Didn't Bob say the other day that he thought that Ranger might be happy with the situation he's in right now and that he may not be lookingto go anywhere?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
It sounds like Eakins is a guy who values players who can play, so don't get your hopes up. When Colton Orr went down to the Marlies, Eakins made him drop weight and work on his skating. Of course Orr is still a terrible hockey player.

Quote:
I'd take Eager or Brown over Smyth all day long. They take the body and can stand up for their teammates, get in on the forecheck and cause havoc in front of the net.
The only team that get brutalized when those guys are on the ice are the Oilers. You'd be hard pressed to find two bigger black holes. Brown in particular gets owned by the dregs of every other team. Possibly one of the worst players in the league right there.

Quote:
Smyth at this point doesn't do much except take up a roster spot and not fill any role worth a damn.
Smyth is a decent PK option and can probably do enough at this stage to hold off other team's fourth lines and move the puck in the right direction, which is pretty much all he needs to do. In limited minutes, in his proper spot, he's fine.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Can we move Hemsky but retain some of his salary?
Sure.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Didn't Bob say the other day that he thought that Ranger might be happy with the situation he's in right now and that he may not be lookingto go anywhere?
Does anyone know what the deal with Ranger is? Something about getting homesick?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

If Ryan Smyth plays more than 40 games this season. Then it means our bottom 6 is godawful. I'd love if the Oilers could pry a goon that can skate like Jordan Nolan out of LA for our 4th line instead of old yeller.

Quote:
Douglas Murray still out there?

That actually seems like a decent depth guy to give some challenge that MacT was talking about in the 5-6-7 slot.
Douglas Murray is just Theo Peckham. No skating, no hockey IQ.

Quote:
Does anyone know what the deal with Ranger is? Something about getting homesick?
Anxiety issues in front of crowds.

Closed Thread