HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
I don't understand you guys' fixation on Subban's contract.

We have a Norris trophy winning defenseman. Enjoy it.

Who cares what he makes, what he could have been signed to, what he will be signed to.

Does it even matter at the end of the day?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Bridge contract and RFA years are there to protect the GM's and owners from themselves. Nobody is saying PK did not deserve more money. It was actually refreshing to see a GM use the CBA properly. MB is trying to set a precedent for future bridge deals.
That's just silly.
If that's the case, why did he sign Galchenyuk to a 3.2M cap hit already? He has a precedent for bridge deals but not ELC contracts?? Explain to me how PK is worth a 2.8M cap hit for 2 years at that time?

MB lacked vision on that move. The only reason people refused to admit that was because they believed he was going to use the extra cap space saved to sign other players with it this summer, but so far none of that has been done, or that it was to clear us room in order to be under the cap, and again that's BS as we still have 5M free.

Bergevin set himself up to have a bunch of contracts needing pretty significant raises at the same time. Not sure how you view this as him using the CBA properly.
PK, Eller, Emelin and Diaz will all require significant raises. All of them are likely to have 100%+ increases except for Emelin (but will still get a raise).
Gionta and Markov are coming off the books, but that doesn't mean letting them go will improve our team. Matter of fact, I don't think it will.

PK will be eligible for arbitration next year, and I don't see how an arbitrator goes under 7M. Not sure how that is using the cap wisely again. Just for one and a half season..

Old
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

Who cares what he makes, what he could have been signed to, what he will be signed to.

It doesn't really. But I don't understand how someone can argue forcing him to sign a bridge deal was the right move.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
You make no sense. Using the CBA properly as in throwing out of the window roughly 2 to 3M of cap-hit a year for the next X years?

I prefer having Subban 5M x 7 rather than 7M x 7, on various degrees.
Then you have to give this same contract to more and more players. Edm will have $30 million tied up in 5 young players very soon that really have not done much yet. Tough to build a competitive roster with that kind of spending on 21-22 year old kids. Easy for you guys to say you knew PK would win the Norris. How do you know he would have signed for $5 million per? Like I said, you armchair GM's have no clue.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Then you have to give this same contract to more and more players. Edm will have $30 million tied up in 5 young players very soon that really have not done much yet. Tough to build a competitive roster with that kind of spending on 21-22 year old kids. Easy for you guys to say you knew PK would win the Norris. How do you know he would have signed for $5 million per? Like I said, you armchair GM's have no clue.
Who's playing armchair GM here??

Go back and read the post during the PK negotiations. You'll see there was a few that wanted him locked up because his talent was/is undeniable. We're not talking about a guy like MaxPac that had not proven a thing, that actually struggled for most of his time here until he finally seemed to put it together for 30ish games but then almost got decapitated.
PK was shutting down top opponents efficiently for about a year and a half already, and his work ethic has always been perfect. You can also look back at his progression of the past few years and see that this kid just excelled and developed a lot faster than your average prospect.

So no, you didn't need a crystal ball to figure PK would become solid. Didn't think he was going to win the Norris this year, but had no doubt he already was top 30 and he was going to improve that.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

getting SICK and tired of telling people if your gonna PLAY like a 7-8 million dollar man, i will GLADLY GIVE you 7-8 million dollars!

i really wish people would GET OVER the fact we DIDNT sign pk to a "long term" deal when we had the "chance", like we can rewind time or something, and as if the deal we have him CURRENTLY on isnt an amazing bargain for time being

just so frustrating to read over and over and over and over and over, like WOW.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Agreed, can we take the Subban talk to the thread devoted to the "bridge contract" debate? This is a thread for news around the rest of the league.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Not sure how real this is but it speaks in generalities about the behind the scenes stuff with Seguin and then mentions a few Habs...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...sel_trade.html

http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/0...ganized-crime/

http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/0...oves-to-party/

Old
07-10-2013, 07:04 AM
DAChampion

Seguin lacks character, I would not want him on my team.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:44 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Some fans are so cheap, you'd think its their money being spent, not Molson's.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...urmistrov.html

Old
07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not sure how real this is but it speaks in generalities about the behind the scenes stuff with Seguin and then mentions a few Habs...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...sel_trade.html

http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/0...ganized-crime/

http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/0...oves-to-party/
No surprise the Toronto media is already coming out with self-congratulatory articles about "winning the trade"...as if Seguin's career is over.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:14 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
D'Agostini sweepstakes are over - signed with the Pens. 1 year/550k.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
A fantasy league sleeper pick is born

Old
07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Some guy on the Pens board thinks that the Blues depth prevented D'agostini from getting 60-70 points...someone is in for a shock if they think D'agotini is that type of forward.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

I know people have been saying this every time the Pens sign a player as a project on Crosby/Malkin's wing (Comrie, Sullivan, Pesonen, etc.) but I could see D'Agostini scoring 20 goals with the Pens.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
No surprise the Toronto media is already coming out with self-congratulatory articles about "winning the trade"...as if Seguin's career is over.
Toronto would be better off with Ericksson and Hamilton than Kessel anyways.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I know people have been saying this every time the Pens sign a player as a project on Crosby/Malkin's wing (Comrie, Sullivan, Pesonen, etc.) but I could see D'Agostini scoring 20 goals with the Pens.
Not unless one or more of their top 4 wingers is out long term.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's just silly.
If that's the case, why did he sign Galchenyuk to a 3.2M cap hit already?
He has a precedent for bridge deals but not ELC contracts?? Explain to me how PK is worth a 2.8M cap hit for 2 years at that time?

MB lacked vision on that move. The only reason people refused to admit that was because they believed he was going to use the extra cap space saved to sign other players with it this summer, but so far none of that has been done, or that it was to clear us room in order to be under the cap, and again that's BS as we still have 5M free.

Bergevin set himself up to have a bunch of contracts needing pretty significant raises at the same time. Not sure how you view this as him using the CBA properly.
PK, Eller, Emelin and Diaz will all require significant raises. All of them are likely to have 100%+ increases except for Emelin (but will still get a raise).
Gionta and Markov are coming off the books, but that doesn't mean letting them go will improve our team. Matter of fact, I don't think it will.

PK will be eligible for arbitration next year, and I don't see how an arbitrator goes under 7M. Not sure how that is using the cap wisely again. Just for one and a half season..
standard ELC contract for a top pick, bonus, chances he gets paid 3 Mil are very slim...

Diaz will be UFA, he may not be back with the team, assuming he has a good season you can count on Beaulieu to take his spot as a 2nd or 3rd pairing PMD.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Some guy on the Pens board thinks that the Blues depth prevented D'agostini from getting 60-70 points...someone is in for a shock if they think D'agotini is that type of forward.
just read that post. ****ing ridiculous

Old
07-10-2013, 02:23 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's just silly.
If that's the case, why did he sign Galchenyuk to a 3.2M cap hit already? He has a precedent for bridge deals but not ELC contracts?? Explain to me how PK is worth a 2.8M cap hit for 2 years at that time?

I don't think you understand ELC's.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Fred Poulin ‏@FredPoulin98 1m St. Louis #Blues forward David Perron just got traded to the Edmonton #Oilers via @JFChaumont. More details to come.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Gagner in return?

Old
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Fred Poulin ‏@FredPoulin98 1m St. Louis #Blues forward David Perron just got traded to the Edmonton #Oilers via @JFChaumont. More details to come.
Wow wtf.

Old
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Gotta think it's MPS

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Closed Thread