HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVI: MacT, send more help!

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 01:45 PM
candyman82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's odd CBJ hasn't offered him a contract yet. I'd look at him.
We're up against the cap and don't really have the space unless he signs a really small contract.

That being said, signing Prospal would be a great move for Edmonton. He has lost a step the past few years, but he's the kind of guy that can do wonders for a young team. If there is a country club atmosphere in the dressing room he'll be the first guy to point it out. He's still a very skilled player and led the Jackets in scoring last season.

Plus, his excitement whenever he scores a goal is really a sight to behold. He's like a five year old who just scored his first goal.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Soundwave

How about Hemsky to Phoenix for Klesla at $1.5 million salary retained.

Sign either Antropov or Mueller. We need a guy who can play 2C in a pinch if need be. Either one of these guys should come cheap.

Paajarvi, Musil, EDM 2nd 2014 for Thomas Vanek?

Old
07-10-2013, 01:48 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

double

Old
07-10-2013, 01:49 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
We're up against the cap and don't really have the space unless he signs a really small contract.

That being said, signing Prospal would be a great move for Edmonton. He has lost a step the past few years, but he's the kind of guy that can do wonders for a young team. If there is a country club atmosphere in the dressing room he'll be the first guy to point it out. He's still a very skilled player and led the Jackets in scoring last season.

Plus, his excitement whenever he scores a goal is really a sight to behold. He's like a five year old who just scored his first goal.
We've already got enough of that with Yakupov

Prospal sounds like a decent option for the #2LW spot.

Old
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
It sounds like Eakins is a guy who values players who can play, so don't get your hopes up. When Colton Orr went down to the Marlies, Eakins made him drop weight and work on his skating. Of course Orr is still a terrible hockey player.

The only team that get brutalized when those guys are on the ice are the Oilers. You'd be hard pressed to find two bigger black holes. Brown in particular gets owned by the dregs of every other team. Possibly one of the worst players in the league right there.

Smyth is a decent PK option and can probably do enough at this stage to hold off other team's fourth lines and move the puck in the right direction, which is pretty much all he needs to do. In limited minutes, in his proper spot, he's fine.
you gotta be kidding me, Smyth was in the penalty box cause HE CAN'T SKATE no more.

Eager pasted some people when given the ice time. His weight and speed alone destroyed a few people. I saw the body language of those players and they did not sleep well that night.

Brown is great at what he does, Why on earth you would keep Petrell and Harts on the roster is beyond belief considering that they did not use thier size and thier compete level was nil. I don't care that they can kill penalties cause with Smyth out of the line-up, our penalties go down by 50%, even with Eager in the line-up

Same goes for Horcoff, HE CAN'T SKATE no more and was in the penalty box too !!!

Last edited by oilexport: 07-10-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Horcoff
Old
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Sign either Antropov or Mueller. We need a guy who can play 2C in a pinch if need be. Either one of these guys should come cheap.

i do both those deals as they help for the now and dont mortgage any future pieces imo, I like PRV but i love Vanek

Old
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
you gotta be kidding me, Smyth was in the penalty box cause HE CAN'T SKATE no more.

Eager pasted some people when given the ice time. His weight and speed alone destroyed a few people. I saw the body language of those players and they did not sleep well that night.

Brown is great at what he does, Why on earth you would keep Petrell and Harts on the roster is beyond belief considering that they did not use thier size and thier compete level was nil. I don't care that they can kill penalties cause with Smyth out of the line-up, our penalties go down by 50%, even with Eager in the line-up
i agree and i also thing this is the year we see less smyth types on the pk and more eberle and RNH on the PK

Old
07-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Staghorn

vCash: 298
Quote:
Actually looking at the realignment it's not too bad.

We have to be better than Phoenix, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas, and Nashville to get a playoff seed. But I don't think that's too unreasonable. Moving Detroit out basically opens up a spot.

If Seguin busts out in Dallas that really sucks for us, because if you had Detroit out and Dallas declining and Columbus also out East ... that would really open up things and we'd only have to be better than Phoenix, Winnipeg, Colorado, and Nashville ... which is a lot more doable.
I think Nashville and Colorado are both better than the Oilers and Phoenix and Winnipeg are close... All those teams have better goaltending. Nashville has one of the best D corps in the league.

With the chance to use some cap space to add some grit to the lineup with a Cooke or a Lapierre, MacT failed.. Gordon would be a great 4C, but on this team he's going to have to play a lot more minutes. The team is WAY too light and Dubnyk is a big ??? in goal. Sad that if you spent a few bucks a number of these issues would be addressed - maybe it isn't all on MacT as Edmonton isn't a prime place for free agents to sign anyways..

At this point, assets will need to be moved to get other assets - the beauty with free agents is that they cost lots, but you keep your assets. I'd look for some older guys to fill out the 4th line to make the team competitive at least and not a pushover.. and some help up the middle..

Sign some of Morrow (3LW) and Cleary (4LW), Grabovski (2C), Mueller (3C) and Tim Thomas (G) to try to assemble something like 4 NHL lines... Hopefully the soft top 9 can learn something about winning and competing from Morrow and Cleary, Grabovski plays harder and is arguably better than Gagner who can be moved for an asset, Mueller can play 3rd line minutes or a wing, and Dubnyk can be pushed hard by Thomas who was All-World 2 years ago and looking to prove people wrong.. Put Labarbera in the AHL too as its not like Bunz has earned his AHL shot either..

Time to spend some bucks Katz / MacT instead of watching community $$$$ flow into the sweetheart arena deal while the team stays only half full of NHL talent..

#frustrating

Last edited by Staghorn: 07-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
I'd take him right now and amnesty Hemsky if need be (sorry Katz, you got that shiny new arena deal, time to spend a little on the team on the ice). What do they want for him?

Vanek RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov

Yes please.
1. Amnesty period is over
2. Are you willing to trade Paajarvi, Klefbom, and next years 1st?? I can't imagine the price being less than that...in fact they'd probably want a better offensive roster player if you know what i mean

Old
07-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd take Eager or Brown over Smyth all day long. They take the body and can stand up for their teammates, get in on the forecheck and cause havoc in front of the net. Smyth at this point doesn't do much except take up a roster spot and not fill any role worth a damn.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Smyth as our 2nd line LW this season.

After all, he is the second highest paid LW after Hall, so why wouldn't he be considered for the role, given that he's played in the top 6 for most of his career?

He doesn't have to worry too much about MacT bringing in any real competition for the spot, and it will simply be handed to him.

That's just the way it is in this organization. We have (i) the most useless management group and (ii) the worst veteran players in the league, and these factors, more than any others, explain our record over the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Baggers

I respect what Smyth has done for the Oilers, but Ryan Smyth has always been about Ryan Smyth.

Exhibit A: He played hardball with the Oilers, thinking "they can't afford to let me go." He lost that battle and ended up with the Islanders, crying "Waah Waah" with his crocodile tears all the way to the airport.

Exhibit B: While every pundit (ie. TSN) was saying that the Oilers were circumventing the cap because it was a foregone conclusion that Smyth was going to re-sign with the Oilers, Smyth signed a fat contract with the Avs. If he "loved the Oilers" that much, he could have signed with Edmonton.

Exhibit C: Facing no ice-time and no possibility of a contract renewal in LA, he forced a trade back to Edmonton. I still remember the look on Tambo's face when he was asked about the trade during the draft - he had this look of being painted into a corner. As in, he didn't want to trade for Smyth, but Smyth had used his agent to leak his intentions of wanting to come back to Alberta (while using Calgary as a foil) so if he didn't acquire Smyth, he could kiss his job goodbye.

Exhibit D: "I need a two-year contract"

Honestly, as much as people complained about Horcoff (myself included), he at least fulfilled a role on the team and while I'm glad to see him gone, I'm upset to see that the team hasn't (yet) used any of the cap savings to acquire a useful player.

Smyth, on the other hand, can eat a ... I hope he enjoys his retirement, because he unofficially retired before he played a game last season. (Yes, I know he played 4th line C last year - I watched most Oilers games last season and to me he seemed either lazy, uninterested, or completely unable to keep up with the play).

If I were in charge of the team, I would have given him the option of retiring with his dignity (somewhat) intact, or sending him to OKC. It's a bit sad that for all of his "boldness", MacT has lacked the balls to do anything that resembles this - and this offseason still has yet to show me more than the off-season that netted Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk, Barker,...

Old
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Smyth led the team in PK TOI on a top 10 PK team. He took some dumb penalties, sure, but again, he spent a good chunk of the season playing out of position. he also started almost 60 per cent of his shifts in his own zone.

Quote:
And he has scrambled eggs for brains.

Quote:
Brown is great at what he does
And what he does is bleed out against the other teams' worst players.

Quote:
, Why on earth you would keep Petrell and Harts on the roster is beyond belief considering that they did not use thier size and thier compete level was nil. I don't care that they can kill penalties cause with Smyth out of the line-up, our penalties go down by 50%, even with Eager in the line-up
Eager takes about 7 penalties per 60 minutes. Smyth takes about 4, same as Brown. So you're wrong.

Old
FreeRadicals

Realistically speaking what moves can the Oilers accomplish this offseason. Vanek and Coburn are great but you got you remeber KLowes still running the show here.

Firstly, I can Hemsky being moved with cap retained for a third liner. After that I don't see much realistic movements. Mezaros?

Old
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

Sign me up. Awesome deals for Edmonton.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:05 PM
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
2. Are you willing to trade Paajarvi, Klefbom, and next years 1st?? I can't imagine the price being less than that...in fact they'd probably want a better offensive roster player if you know what i mean
BUF is in the process of tanking in my eyes. High draft picks and a good prospect/PRV should get it done.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
I respect what Smyth has done for the Oilers, but Ryan Smyth has always been about Ryan Smyth.

Exhibit A: He played hardball with the Oilers, thinking "they can't afford to let me go." He lost that battle and ended up with the Islanders, crying "Waah Waah" with his crocodile tears all the way to the airport.

Exhibit B: While every pundit (ie. TSN) was saying that the Oilers were circumventing the cap because it was a foregone conclusion that Smyth was going to re-sign with the Oilers, Smyth signed a fat contract with the Avs. If he "loved the Oilers" that much, he could have signed with Edmonton.

Exhibit C: Facing no ice-time and no possibility of a contract renewal in LA, he forced a trade back to Edmonton. I still remember the look on Tambo's face when he was asked about the trade during the draft - he had this look of being painted into a corner. As in, he didn't want to trade for Smyth, but Smyth had used his agent to leak his intentions of wanting to come back to Alberta (while using Calgary as a foil) so if he didn't acquire Smyth, he could kiss his job goodbye.

Honestly, as much as people complained about Horcoff (myself included), he at least fulfilled a role on the team and while I'm glad to see him gone, I'm upset to see that the team hasn't (yet) used any of the cap savings to acquire a useful player.

Smyth, on the other hand, can eat a ... I hope he enjoys his retirement, because he unofficially retired before he played a game last season. (Yes, I know he played 4th line C last year - I watched most Oilers games last season and to me he seemed either lazy, uninterested, or completely unable to keep up with the play).

If I were in charge of the team, I would have given him the option of retiring with his dignity (somewhat) intact, or sending him to OKC. It's a bit sad that for all of his "boldness", MacT has lacked the balls to do anything that resembles this - and this offseason still has yet to show me more than the off-season that netted Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk, Barker,...
i feel exactly the same about him, to read people saying he should be the captain this year makes me want to bang my head on a wall

Old
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
FreeRadicals

Quote:

Muellers young and can put up points if need be. I'll take him.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
BUF is in the process of tanking in my eyes. High draft picks and a good prospect/PRV should get it done.
lol...

Even with Vanek they're the worst team in the league. They'll keep Vanek to stay above the floor and trade him at the deadline for a huge return.

Stop dreaming guys

Old
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
I can. Again: he's a year away from UFA. They'll be lucky if they get draft picks and middling prospects for him.

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Realistically speaking what moves can the Oilers accomplish this offseason. Vanek and Coburn are great but you got you remeber KLowes still running the show here.

Firstly, I can Hemsky being moved with cap retained for a third liner. After that I don't see much realistic movements. Mezaros?
I don't even know what your comment about Lowe is suppose to mean. If you remember correctly Lowe was able to bring in Pronger, Peca, Tarnstrom, Roloson, Samsamov, Spacek and others in one season.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Staghorn

vCash: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post

Ask yourself if winning teams like LA, CHI, BOS or PIT have room for non-contributing heritage players in their lineups.. They don't, sorry.. Time to cut the cord. I agree, retire or AHL.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Smyth led the team in PK TOI on a top 10 PK team. He took some dumb penalties, sure, but again, he spent a good chunk of the season playing out of position. he also started almost 60 per cent of his shifts in his own zone.

And he has scrambled eggs for brains.

And what he does is bleed out against the other teams' worst players.

Eager takes about 7 penalties per 60 minutes. Smyth takes about 4, same as Brown. So you're wrong.
Smyth and Horcoff take penalties that hurt the team, hooking and tripping....

Eager and Brown take penalties that hurt THE OTHER team, like smashing thier defence through the end of the boards. They also give our goal scorers room and prevent them from getting shoulder surgeries....

Old
07-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't even know what your comment about Lowe is suppose to mean. If you remember correctly Lowe was able to bring in Pronger, Peca, Tarnstrom, Roloson, Samsamov, Spacek and others in one season.
lol no kidding.

That Spacek for Toni Salmalianen(sp) is still one of the best the Oilers have ever made.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:23 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Well one year is still a long time... Worrying about no goalie signed after this season or getting a rental for a year is not going to get us anywhere.. Teams trade away 1sts for 20 games of rentals at deadline all the time.. Getting Vanek for a full year would be well worth it.

Well.. hopefully the guy can play LW or hopefully Vanek is coming along with him
Couple things about the bolded...those teams are what is known as "contenders", therefore they can afford to give up a 1st, and the second thing is that the pick would be in the last half of the 1st round, not a top pick like we have had recently. Cant afford to give that up for just 1 year of Vanek, maybe if he signs an extension, but it would have to be a cap friendly contract, not sure if he would do that, probably wouldn't though.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Smyth and Horcoff take penalties that hurt the team, hooking and tripping....

Eager and Brown take penalties that hurt THE OTHER team, like smashing thier defence through the end of the boards. They also give our goal scorers room and prevent them from getting shoulder surgeries....
I agree. There are "good penalties" and "bad penalties" in hockey - which I'm sure a lot of the posters on this board who have played hockey to a decent level would agree.

Hooking/tripping penalties are generally last resort penalties. If you're committing a lot of them, chances are you can't play hockey anymore at the level you are attempting to.

Closed Thread