HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers defense for 2013/14

Old
07-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I'd take Hainsey in a heartbeat over him.
Hainsey's probably going to cost 3-3.5M, I don't see him coming here.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Gilbert is better than anyone else we have fighting it out for the 5-8 spots. I would have no problem bringing him back.

Schultz - Petry - Gilbert is solid for RD.
Not sure how you can be so certain that Gilbert > Belov at this point in time? Belov sounds like he brings a physical presence as well as a big shot and on a defense as butter soft as ours is we need that type of a player. Potter brings more of a physical presence than Gilbert, I'd sooner keep him for one more year than pay Gilbert to come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
So, there are actually quite a few FA D-men left.

Anyone pique your interest?

It looks like we are going to sign one more guy on the backend.
I still wish that we'd bring back Fistric esoecially with no real toughness to speak of being added to the forward group this offseason.

07-10-2013, 03:15 AM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I still wish that we'd bring back Fistric esoecially with no real toughness to speak of being added to the forward group this offseason.
I would go a step further, Fistric and Eager are a must along with Brown. Our Team is tough and our power forward is right under our noses in Eager. I don't care about his shortcommings, Eager is fast, he's big, and I would keep him on the second line or third.

Get rid of Smyth and that makes us better.

Make a pitch for Grabovski, we know that Gagner will already be the whipping boy when he signs the big contract cause he's just not that fast compared to Grabovski and better faceoffs too, he's .506 on the dot last year.

Get more meat with Gagner trade or Defence/Goalie upgrade.

voila

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:46 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave09 View Post
If Klefa makes the team I would like to see him paired with J Schultz right away.
These 2 could be our future top pair.
Smid-Petry
Belov-Ference
Klefbom-Schultz
Potter/Larsen

N Schultz traded in a package with hemsky

In a couple of years....
Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse-Maracin
Smid-Petry
Ference
If you are right about Klefbom / Schultz and Nurse / Marincin being 1st and 2nd pair d-men respectively then I really hope that the organization is smart enough to trade Smid and Petry. It would be a waste playing them on the 3rd pair.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Delicious Pancakes

I'm really curious to see Belov at camp. His stats this past year in the KHL were good. Among defencemen he was T-8th in points, T-10th in Goals, and T-5th in +/- (on the 3rd best team in the KHL). Only had 4 points in 12 playoff games though and was -4. The highlights show a promising player as well and Russian fans and journalists say he was one of the best d-men in the KHL last year.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Petry - Schultz
Klefbom - Nurse
Smid - Marincin

Is what I'm hoping for in three or four years

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Petry - Schultz
Klefbom - Nurse
Smid - Marincin

Is what I'm hoping for in three or four years
In 3-4 seasons...
Klefa-Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Smid-____
Nurse

Maybe Ference will still be playing bottom pairing RHD for us with his contract expiring.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not sure how you can be so certain that Gilbert > Belov at this point in time? Belov sounds like he brings a physical presence as well as a big shot and on a defense as butter soft as ours is we need that type of a player. Potter brings more of a physical presence than Gilbert, I'd sooner keep him for one more year than pay Gilbert to come here.
You are correct. I don't know if Belov is better than Gilbert right now. I am just erring on the side of the guy with NHL experience. But either way, it's more about Gilbert being better than Larsen. Belov is a left handed shot so I figured he'd be in the 3rd LD spot, assuming we can move Schultz out for help elsewhere. I just find it hard to believe that Gilbert went from a top 4D on our team to not NHL capable in 63 games.

As for Potter, I don't think he's an NHL d-man at all. His only play is to chase the guy with the puck and leave his partner alone in front of the net to defend against the 1 or 2 guys that head there. My biggest hope is that he isn't on the roster next season. I would take Fistric or even Peckham over Potter.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Its funny because of our bottom pairing Dmen last season, Potter has all the best advanced stats. When he wasn't paired with Whitney and played with Fistric they mostly looked like a capable pairing.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Good post up there by BBO. In all honesty, Potter at league minimum is much value than Gilbert at whatever he would ask for. They're pretty similar players at this point, as sad as that is for Tom.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Staghorn

vCash: 298
Can someone please explain to me the allure of Braden Coburn? I don't think he's much of an improvement on Smid or N Schultz... Am I seeing it wrong? Certainly hasn't proven to be a top pairing guy yet, and one has to wonder if he was "so valuable" why PHI would let him leave..??

Staghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
In 3-4 seasons...
Klefa-Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Smid-____
Nurse

Maybe Ference will still be playing bottom pairing RHD for us with his contract expiring.
The thing I noticed is that it seems both Schultz and Klefbom play the same side. I wonder if that is really ingrained in them, or it one would be able to switch (shouldn't be too hard in theory, they are opposite hands)

I think in 4 seasons time Nurse will be able to play bottom pairing minutes, especially if he is sheltered with a veteran, which Smid will be by then for sure!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Rita12

I wouldn't compare fistric to Douglas Murray. Fistric is physical but is gets caught running around in his own end, is injury prone and cannot anchor the third pairing like a Murray could, nor is he good on the penalty kill. Although not ideal Murray can move up to the second pairing for periods of time without looking out of place as he did in Pittsburgh. Although his foot speed is a concern if paired with a mobile defenseman he can play to his strengths.

what we need is a youngish top pairing dman, i just don't see the purpose of overpaying for a number 3-4 defenceman like coburn who will cost prv or an overpaid injury prone mesjaros who will cost assets. This would allow us to keep some of the young guys in okc or play in sheltered minutes and not get exposed or burned out. Call me crazy but I'd like to see j Schultz on the third pairing and on the number 1 pp unit.

Smid-petry/upgrade
Ference-n. Schultz
Murray- j. Schultz
Belov/Larsen

With klefbom playing #1 minutes in okc and the first call up

Rita12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Its funny because of our bottom pairing Dmen last season, Potter has all the best advanced stats. When he wasn't paired with Whitney and played with Fistric they mostly looked like a capable pairing.
You'll have to forgive me lack of knowledge of advanced stats. But if a guy like Potter looks great using them, then I would say there are problems with those stats. He certainly fails the eye test badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Good post up there by BBO. In all honesty, Potter at league minimum is much value than Gilbert at whatever he would ask for. They're pretty similar players at this point, as sad as that is for Tom.
I am just amazed how short the memory on HF is. Gilbert was bought out because Minnie was in a cap crunch and couldn't get rid of Heatley, not because he isn't an NHL level d-man. If they could have fit him in, he'd still be there.

I am shocked so many people would prefer Potter. I just couldn't disagree with that more.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
You'll have to forgive me lack of knowledge of advanced stats. But if a guy like Potter looks great using them, then I would say there are problems with those stats. He certainly fails the eye test badly.

I am just amazed how short the memory on HF is. Gilbert was bought out because Minnie was in a cap crunch and couldn't get rid of Heatley, not because he isn't an NHL level d-man. If they could have fit him in, he'd still be there.

I am shocked so many people would prefer Potter. I just couldn't disagree with that more.
He fails the eye test, but when he wasn't paired with Whitney last season his #'s for shots generated vs shots against were up.

Fistric's were also up without Whitney. Potter may have had the odd blue line gaffs and had problems keeping the puck in, but Whitney was dragging him down. Just like Whitney was dragging down Fistric when paired with him as well.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:

"Gilbert is minus-13 this season and that is one of the worse plus-minuses in the NHL as he ranks 790th. "Hopefully this is something that spurs him to get it back," Yeo said. "I'm not saying that he's been awful but I think it was time to make a change. Hopefully this helps him get back on track." Brett Clark was also a healthy scratch as Nate Prosser and Justin Falk drew into the lineup. "

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:46 PM
skorf

We don't need anymore D unless we trade for a legit top pairing defenseman or trade multiple D from our current team.

JSchultz, Petry, Smid, NSchultz, and Ference are all NHL caliber D.

Belov signed to play in the NHL. If he was a top 5 D in the KHL last year, there's no reason that he could not be a bottom pairing D either. I actually think he could easily be a 2nd pairing D once he gets settled in.

That's 6 guys

We have Potter and Larsen likely fighting over the 7th D spot. I think Larsen wins out.

someone gets hurt, I don't think anyone would be upset if Klefbom played 10-20 games,

or if potter/larsen clears waivers they are capable of being the #7 defenseman on the team as well filling in the press box role

I don't think anyone would be upset if Fedun or Marcinin played a few games if we were devastated by injuries either

-no reason to bring in a guy like gilbert to fight larsen/potter for the #7 spot or belov for the #6 spot. If we want depth guys, resign Frstic for that role.
But if we get hit by the injury bug, I for one wouldn't mind giving whatever young guy is playing well in the AHL a few games to get their feet wet in the NHL

and finally, worst case scenario, we're competing and get hit by the injury bug and our young guys have looked less then stellar in the AHL, we can pick up a D that's better then Gilbert usually fairly cheap in a trade (often can get a decent guy at some point even on the waiver wire). If we are going to sign more free agents, look for a 3rd/4th line wing since right now we don't have those slots filled.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
We don't need anymore D unless we trade for a legit top pairing defenseman or trade multiple D from our current team.

JSchultz, Petry, Smid, NSchultz, and Ference are all NHL caliber D.

Belov signed to play in the NHL. If he was a top 5 D in the KHL last year, there's no reason that he could not be a bottom pairing D either. I actually think he could easily be a 2nd pairing D once he gets settled in.

That's 6 guys

We have Potter and Larsen likely fighting over the 7th D spot. I think Larsen wins out.

someone gets hurt, I don't think anyone would be upset if Klefbom played 10-20 games,

or if potter/larsen clears waivers they are capable of being the #7 defenseman on the team as well filling in the press box role

I don't think anyone would be upset if Fedun or Marcinin played a few games if we were devastated by injuries either

-no reason to bring in a guy like gilbert to fight larsen/potter for the #7 spot or belov for the #6 spot. If we want depth guys, resign Frstic for that role.
But if we get hit by the injury bug, I for one wouldn't mind giving whatever young guy is playing well in the AHL a few games to get their feet wet in the NHL

and finally, worst case scenario, we're competing and get hit by the injury bug and our young guys have looked less then stellar in the AHL, we can pick up a D that's better then Gilbert usually fairly cheap in a trade (often can get a decent guy at some point even on the waiver wire). If we are going to sign more free agents, look for a 3rd/4th line wing since right now we don't have those slots filled.
Pretty much this. I think we need to give Belov a shot before anything else. Top 5 KHL defensman seems like a good add to me.

Unless we are adding a bonafide top 3 Defender I think our defense is set.

Smid - Petry
Ference - J Schultz
N Schultz - Belov
Klefbom - Potter
Marincin - Larsen

Our needs are in the bottom 6 now.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
"Gilbert is minus-13 this season and that is one of the worse plus-minuses in the NHL as he ranks 790th. "Hopefully this is something that spurs him to get it back," Yeo said. "I'm not saying that he's been awful but I think it was time to make a change. Hopefully this helps him get back on track." Brett Clark was also a healthy scratch as Nate Prosser and Justin Falk drew into the lineup. "
Yup last year was a bad one for Gilbert. After he was hospitalized and lost a lot of weight. Many players have had a bad season here or there and bounced back.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Yup last year was a bad one for Gilbert. After he was hospitalized and lost a lot of weight. Many players have had a bad season here or there and bounced back.
Yes, but it's not like Gilbert was ever playing extremely well and just got bought out due to money. He was deemed expendable and they decided to save some money at the same time.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:25 PM
armandh01

I have a feeling Belov is going to be a really good Dman. I would not be surprised if nearing the end of the season he's 2nd or top pairing. Just a feeling but I am probably wrong.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:32 PM
alphahelix

I really hope N Schultz winds up moving for an upgrade.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
shizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staghorn View Post
Can someone please explain to me the allure of Braden Coburn? I don't think he's much of an improvement on Smid or N Schultz... Am I seeing it wrong? Certainly hasn't proven to be a top pairing guy yet, and one has to wonder if he was "so valuable" why PHI would let him leave..??
Did you see him in the playoffs when they went to the cup in 2010? If he is anything like the player he was then, he is exactly what the oilers need. 6'5" can skate, plays physical and is competent with the puck. Our D core for next year does not appear to be close to playoff caliber.

Ference - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov/N.Schultz/ - Larsen/Potter

Maybe one of the rookies steps in and makes a difference but those are the 1 way contracts. I would love it if the Oil could get the depth to where we see Petry on the right side of the third pairing this year.

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
klefbom may very well be NHL ready right off the bat, and could probably make the team on merit after training camp/preseason. With that said, unless something happens with Nick Schultz, I think he's probably in the AHL to start. And there's nothing wrong with having NHL calibre players available to you if you run into injury.

-----Oilers------

Smid - Petry
Ference - J.Schultz
N.Schultz - Larsen
Belov

------OKC-------

Klefbom - Potter
Marincin - Fedun
Musil - Davidson
Leach

Still a little weak at the top end at the NHL level, but that's a lot of quality depth (though some serious youth and lack of experience in the AHL). Makes you wonder if a young prospect defensemen or two could be moved for some NHL depth.

07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
shizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
klefbom may very well be NHL ready right off the bat, and could probably make the team on merit after training camp/preseason. With that said, unless something happens with Nick Schultz, I think he's probably in the AHL to start. And there's nothing wrong with having NHL calibre players available to you if you run into injury.

-----Oilers------

Smid - Petry
Ference - J.Schultz
N.Schultz - Larsen
Belov

------OKC-------

Klefbom - Potter
Marincin - Fedun
Musil - Davidson
Leach

Still a little weak at the top end at the NHL level, but that's a lot of quality depth (though some serious youth and lack of experience in the AHL). Makes you wonder if a young prospect defensemen or two could be moved for some NHL depth.
I agree there is depth but I would say more than a "little weak" at the top end NHL level. What about Gernat? He turns pro does he not? He's AHL ready. I doubt Potter clears waivers to make it to OKC.

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote