HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Mjoedgaard
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
He was also asked to be the lead defenseman with even worse partners while leading our entire defense in minutes playing against tough competition in front of AHL caliber goaltending while remaining among the top 30 defensemen in Corsi Rel QoC for the first half of the year until he took a nose dive in the second half when defensive injuries started to pile up.
but but he was -10 /s

Mjoedgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Starting to get real close to that 10% overage cap.

Something is going to break real soon here, whether its just a nothing trade to shed money or what.
Lauridsen counts as an AHLer. He's waiver exempt, so he doesn't count against the summer camp.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Lauridsen counts as an AHLer. He's waiver exempt, so he doesn't count against the summer camp.
Yea, I just saw that on capgeek, good, because according to my math, that would've put the Flyers @ 826K left that's counting going over by 10%

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yea, I just saw that on capgeek, good, because according to my math, that would've put the Flyers @ 826K left that's counting going over by 10%
Bonuses don't count either, so if you were counting Laughton at more than 0.93, Couturier at more than 0.93, and Schenn at more than 0.90, you're numbers are off.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Bonuses don't count either, so if you were counting Laughton at more than 0.93, Couturier at more than 0.93, and Schenn at more than 0.90, you're numbers are off.
Yea that crap gets confusing. I try to ignore it best I can.

Old
07-10-2013, 06:59 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
One good season, or postseason, and people will change their tune about Coburn.

Holmgren might seemingly overpay on player contracts, but what has it ever prevented the franchise from doing? From what I can see, the Flyers do whatever they damn well please. The only time I remember the cap forcing the Flyers to make a bad move, was the Carcillo to Coyotes deal. But, that was to keep Giroux on the big club... That seems like a good sacrifice to me.
I think Coburn/Streit will end up being an excellent pair. Will play to both guys strengths.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
lancer247

steady dose of Coburn/Grossmann to close out games with leads.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Hiesenberg

Thank god camp starts in a couple of months, this offseason got boring real quick.

I'm waiting for the Olympic announcement + nhl schedules. I just put a deposit down on a partial package. I'm ready to get started.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Prongo
Beer

Lot's of really young good defender next year will be RFA's at the seasons end this year. Gudbranson, Kulikov, Schultz and of course PK SUbban. Subban is a really interesting name to watch, a lot of people speculate it might have been his last contract in Montreal, but now he won the Norris trophy. Just an interesting situation to keep an eye on for this year.

Also right now you have a good crop of defenseman on the market as UFA's. Phanuef, Markov,Boyle, JayBouw.

Looking into next years lineup for the Flyers, we will need to keep an eye on all defenders who become available because we will desperately need another one with Kimmo retiring.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:08 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Lot's of really young good defender next year will be RFA's at the seasons end this year. Gudbranson, Kulikov, Schultz and of course PK SUbban. Subban is a really interesting name to watch, a lot of people speculate it might have been his last contract in Montreal, but now he won the Norris trophy. Just an interesting situation to keep an eye on for this year.

Also right now you have a good crop of defenseman on the market as UFA's. Phanuef, Markov,Boyle, JayBouw.

Looking into next years lineup for the Flyers, we will need to keep an eye on all defenders who become available because we will desperately need another one with Kimmo retiring.
The problem with the Timonen salary is that it is all but earmarked for new contracts for Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, etc. Giroux's new deal eats up $4.5 mil. Thus, there's a measly $1.5 million to go to the others owed raises. Plus, Holmgren will be in the market for 2 goaltenders, either resigning one or both of the current tandem and filling the empty position(s). I doubt Mason or Emery will agree to an equally cap-friendly deal if they make a case for sticking with the Flyers.

This all but guarantees that Timonen can't come back, unless he takes a ridiculously large cut in pay. Yes, Meszaros will be gone, too, which will give (hopefully) some breathing room now, but serious cap room needs to be banked for next season.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Some of those UFA's will probably be available at the deadline too as teams fall out of the playoffs. There should be more trades this deadline than last as more teams will know well ahead of the deadline that they have not shot at the playoffs.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Hiesenberg

the rumor is the cap will go to 67m maybe to 69m. I think the 69 is pipe dream.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The problem with the Timonen salary is that it is all but earmarked for new contracts for Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, etc. Giroux's new deal eats up $4.5 mil. Thus, there's a measly $1.5 million to go to the others owed raises. Plus, Holmgren will be in the market for 2 goaltenders, either resigning one or both of the current tandem and filling the empty position(s). I doubt Mason or Emery will agree to an equally cap-friendly deal if they make a case for sticking with the Flyers.

This all but guarantees that Timonen can't come back, unless he takes a ridiculously large cut in pay. Yes, Meszaros will be gone, too, which will give (hopefully) some breathing room now, but serious cap room needs to be banked for next season.
Well if Jeremy Jacobs is correct, the cap will be near 70 million(or very close) next year. A lot of teams seem to be spending this offseason under that assumption(Pittsburgh)

Next year we have a shade under 13 million in cap space, but with the cap rising to 70 million, that would give us around 19 million. Also Pronger on LTIR to begin the season or soon after will provide us another 5. We probably have around 22-23 million to spend next offseason. Read/Schenn/Couts need to be resigned though. I actually see a big trade coming either this season(unlikely) or next off season. They will try desperately to get that puck moving defender, who fits in with our age group.

Schenn I will estimate(if he doesn't have a huge break out year) comes in around 3.75 for 2 years
Couts will be 2.5-3
Read-4 million or right around there.

That still leaves us around 10 million to make our team better.

I don't think Mason or Emery will kill us in salary if they both want to remain here. BUttttttttt Lundy is a FA next year!

Old
07-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

The Flyers have $12.7 mil under the cap next year at its current level with Giroux new hit incorporated plus the cap is suppose to go back up to $70 mil next year. Schenn and Couturier will get no more than $3 each probably and the starter goalie getting $3+ unless a Vezina type season (unlikely) and the backup $1+ (total of about $5) So if the cap hits $70 mil, the Flyers will have about $7.3 mil to resign Gus, another defensemen, and a two fourth line forwards. Also a 7th defensmen. Not the cap hell it is being made out to be.

http://capgeek.com/flyers/

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:24 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:

The cap is probably going to go up a little too, while I doubt it alleviates the whole problem it should give a little more breathing room...

This is entirely hypothetical but I think we would be able to do something like this: If we dumped Mez now and signed a winger (or whatever) we could be banking $1m of cap til trade deadline, then try and do something like trading for Phanuef for Grossmann and it should roughly fit. That said if we're banking that much cap we wouldn't have LTIR’d Pronger so (I think) we could acquire Phanuef and LTIR Pronger and fit him under cap with a combination of banked cap and Prongers LTIR.

Banking cap now would be good essentially

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Well if Jeremy Jacobs is correct, the cap will be near 70 million(or very close) next year. A lot of teams seem to be spending this offseason under that assumption(Pittsburgh)

Next year we have a shade under 13 million in cap space, but with the cap rising to 70 million, that would give us around 19 million. Also Pronger on LTIR to begin the season or soon after will provide us another 5. We probably have around 22-23 million to spend next offseason. Read/Schenn/Couts need to be resigned though. I actually see a big trade coming either this season(unlikely) or next off season. They will try desperately to get that puck moving defender, who fits in with our age group.

Schenn I will estimate(if he doesn't have a huge break out year) comes in around 3.75 for 2 years
Couts will be 2.5-3
Read-4 million or right around there.

That still leaves us around 10 million to make our team better.

I don't think Mason or Emery will kill us in salary if they both want to remain here. BUttttttttt Lundy is a FA next year!
I think Read is gone. Can't have your 3rd line winger making 4+ Mil, plus its very possible somebody comes in and overpays. Really all depends on Reads year

Old
07-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I think Read is gone. Can't have your 3rd line winger making 4+ Mil, plus its very possible somebody comes in and overpays. Really all depends on Reads year
If we have a good year and we are back into the playoffs, we will keep him for depth. I don't think we move him unless this team struggles again(highly unlikely). I think the only way we move him is for a top notch young defender in season, which is highly unlikely also.

If there was ever a time to make a big deal it is right now. We have Giroux/Vinny/Schenn/Couts/Laughton/Talbot/Hall all as centers on this team. Read is a UFA next year, but a team could re-sign him if he is traded. Couts/Read/Coburn would be a package to try and pry away a player. Maybe we are waiting till July 25th

Old
07-11-2013, 08:53 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
If we have a good year and we are back into the playoffs, we will keep him for depth. I don't think we move him unless this team struggles again(highly unlikely). I think the only way we move him is for a top notch young defender in season, which is highly unlikely also.

If there was ever a time to make a big deal it is right now. We have Giroux/Vinny/Schenn/Couts/Laughton/Talbot/Hall all as centers on this team. Read is a UFA next year, but a team could re-sign him if he is traded. Couts/Read/Coburn would be a package to try and pry away a player. Maybe we are waiting till July 25th
Talbot is not a centerman. Loughton can just be sent back (no sense rushing him now) and Schenn can play wing.

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Couturier is the only player on that list ready to be a 3rd line shutdown center. Trading him would just create a huge hole.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Talbot is not a centerman. Loughton can just be sent back (no sense rushing him now) and Schenn can play wing.
We might not think Talbot is a center, but Holmgren sure does. Even in his press conference introducing Vinny/Streit/Emery he mentioned him as well as a center. Build up the middle.

No chance Laughton goes back to juniors anymore I think. He is almost a lock to make the team. I won't rule it out, but find it extremely unlikely right now. I honestly think he might center the fourth line, but Hall taking faceoffs. Sort of like Schenn and Briere were doing earlier this year.

Now we all know Schenn is being moved to wing, and I really am not a huge fan of it. I like the kid as a center first and foremost. I think that is where you will see the most production from him. I expect to see a little slump from him to begin the year on the wing with a new centerman. He has to create some chemistry.

We still have Giroux/Vinny/Couts/Laughton/Hall/Talbot with Schenn at wing. We have a wealth of centers, I was just thinking if there was a time to deal, it probably was this year. Unless they think Couts can have a break out year next year, then do we really want to move him?? Tough decisions lay ahead that's for sure.

I'm not advocating a trade, just saying if there was ever a time, you think it would be right now though.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If they put Talbot next to Couturier instead of Laughton, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:31 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

At this point, I want to see

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Emery
Mason

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Voracek

Hartnell-Lecavalier-Read
Streit-Gustafsson

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
At this point, I want to see

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Emery
Mason
In for that.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I just realized that under that lineup, we have 1 forward that isn't Canadian haha.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I just realized that under that lineup, we have 1 forward that isn't Canadian haha.
Nope, 2.

Coots is from the States

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote