HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 PROSPECT CAMP - July 8th-12th

Old
07-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
JJ from Hockeybuzz said that from what he has heard, Danault is far and away the best player at camp so far. I am also hearing the Hawks are toying with the notion of moving former 3rd and 2nd round picks Shawn Lalonde and Justin Holl to wing.
I hope this is the case and the idea takes off. I've often wondered why this isn't considered significantly more often. How hard is it for a good skating Dman to be converted to a 4th or even 3rd line wing if he doesn't pan out at D?

Gives you an extra dimension and potential PKer all in one. I'd bet he could be as effective offensively as Kruger/Frolik while having the benefit of all those years playing D.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Hawkscap

JJ isn't breaking any news here. Holl was moved to F at Minny.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...ll_760265.html

2012-13 • Junior Season:Appeared in 35 games this season for the Gophers as a forward and defenseman, eventually settling in as a forward over the second half of the season •

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Sevanston

Twitter summary of the first period of the first scrimmage:

- Pat Mullane went to the locker room after a collision with Fournier

- Stephen Johns delivered a big hit on Garrett Thompson

- Matt Tomkins stopped 16 shots. The puck spent a lot of time in his end but he's been flawless.

- "Anthony Louis created a number of chances"

Kim Wrona ‏@kimwrona7
Hayden showing off his moves and speed. Impressive once again.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
clydesdale line

Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 1m

Mr. Relevant: Robin Press gets the first goal of the #HawksProspectCamp scrimmages.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 13m
The 2013 draft class is representing themselves well today: John Hayden, 3rd round pick and #HawksProspectCamp blogger, scores!

Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 1m
It's the end of 2 at #HawksProspectCamp: Justin Holl and Anthony Louis have gotten on the board, 2-2 is the score.

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:58 PM
hawksfan50

What a story if the last guy picked in the draft turns out to be something special in a few years..could be the all time draft steal... BTW. ..we have 2 Swedish Robins..but where is the Swedish Bruce Wayne?
I guess we will have to draft a Wennberg and get him to legally change his name to Wayneberg and his first name whatever it is to Bruce.. Marketing would love that.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
What a story if the last guy picked in the draft turns out to be something special in a few years..could be the all time draft steal... BTW. ..we have 2 Swedish Robins..but where is the Swedish Bruce Wayne?
I guess we will have to draft a Wennberg and get him to legally change his name to Wayneberg and his first name whatever it is to Bruce.. Marketing would love that.
This is the best thing HF50 will ever write.

Post of the Year.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Quote:

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
What a line

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

HF50 be dropping bombs right now. I am quite impressed.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
BEL4SEPICMULLET

I just got back from the scrimmage. Here's how I saw it:

- Hayden looked awesome. Very good skater for his size, uses his edges well and his first few steps are quick.. He didn't look as stocky as I thought given his listed weight and has room to add size if needed. Tenacious on the forecheck, and laid a few good hits (one on Ross, especially). He scored a very nice goal coming around the net where he waited the goalie out and shelved it glove hand, and then scored a greasy goal on a second and third effort in front of the net. Almost had one in the first period where he toasted two D in the slot when everyone thought he was going to shoot, but instead went forehand backhand and almost beat the tender...This guy could be a steal.

- The other USNDTP picks looked good as well. Louis is tiny, but didn't shy away from contact at all. Very crafty with the puck, and had some sweet short range saucer passes a la Kane. He was very steady on his skates and seemed hard to knock off the puck, and showed some tenacity...noticeable throughout the entire scrimmage. Motte has good puck skills as well and seems to have a good hockey IQ. Found the soft areas in the offensive zone and did a good job of protecting and digging the puck out down low. He did get lit up coming down the right side in the first...was completely airborne.

- Danault looks bigger than last year. Nonstop motor and was fearless when driving the net. Doesn't seem overly skilled, but makes very smart plays and is relentless when chasing loose pucks. Basically, as advertised.

- Johns is a wrecking ball...he left a couple guys looking out the ear hole of their helmets with some monster hits. Loves to step up in the neutral zone, and seemed like he chose to do so at appropriate times, but could maybe see him getting toasted at the next level doing it too often. Otherwise, he made good, simple outlet passes and was patient waiting for forwards to regroup in the neutral zone, or swing down low in the d-zone.

- McNeil looked good on some plays, and poor on others. He is very good at protecting the puck along the boards, and is good on the forecheck. Had a couple very nice passes threading it through the D in the offensive zone to a guy back door, but neither converted. He did float a bit, and I remember he took a 90 second shift on the PP, not doing much when the rest of his unit had changed and he could have easily done so. Seemed a bit disengaged at times.

- Shalunov has a heavy shot, but his skating needs work. His first few steps are pretty slow, and isn't too fast in general.

- Calnan looks bigger and a bit more comfortable with the puck. Wasn't too noticeable.

I admittedly paid more attention to the forwards, but liked what I saw from Brown and Dahlstrom.

Overall, it was an entertaining scrimmage. Chicago's future looks bright!

BEL4SEPICMULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

That's quite a few people who've said Hayden's skating looks good.. which is the complete opposite of the scouting report on him. Good to hear for sure. Perhaps he added a step through workouts in the summer so far, or the other players haven't found their skating legs yet? Hopefully it's the former.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Thanks for the write up BEL4. Lots of good detail for those of us who can't make it to watch.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

I really like what I'm hearing about Johns.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:53 PM
TheDoorDoctor

Where was Hartman throughout the practice? Or was he just unnoticeable?

TheDoorDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
BEL4SEPICMULLET

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoorDoctor View Post
Where was Hartman throughout the practice? Or was he just unnoticeable?
He's there, but he's not skating because he's injured.

BEL4SEPICMULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:59 PM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Have followed him since he has been drafted. Rozi is signed for two years... I figure johns has one more year in N.D and then a year in Rockford and perhaps he can earn a spot on the bottom pairing...

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Dumb question: With Johns going back to ND, are we looking at a J. Schultz situation with him next year? How long do we retain his rights?

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Taze em

We hear so much about the forwards and it's made me worried about our prospect depth at D, but it seems like Clendening and Johns have top 4 potential and Stanton bottom 2, is that correct?

All 3 seem pretty close as well.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
Dumb question: With Johns going back to ND, are we looking at a J. Schultz situation with him next year? How long do we retain his rights?
I believe they (the Hawks) are going to have a chance to sign him to his ELC after he completes his last season that is upcoming. I am just going off of what I have heard around here.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I like what I hear about our prospects.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:01 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Once Johns' season ends at N.D, Chicago can sign him to a contract. There will be a waiting period after his season ends and onces it passes, if he remains unsigned, he'll become a UFA and able to sign anywhere in the league. I'm not 100% on how long Chicago will have to sign him, but I believe it's up until August.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:06 PM
hawksfan50

But if he signs his ELC before the signing deadline for is to retson him he gets only a 2 way contract at the lesser amounts for max ELC basic salary limit and bonus limits...if he hors ufa as a college graduate he like schultz gets a one way deal if that is what the market must probably have to give to get hom signed...plus bigger starting salary and bonusrs. SCHULTZ has $3.375 million per yr. Cap hit on his 2 yr ELC...you thonl Johns's agent will settle for less money and a 2 way offer on a 3 yr ELC from the Hawks?
That would be crazy..so yes..you might expect him to fly off like Schultz did to the team that drafted him..the only difference is that Johns is a SAH low scoring but big physical hitting dman;Schultz was a high scofing PMD...and so maybe the market will not pay the same premium to chase Johns as a.UFA for that kind of payola.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
RomersWorld*

So we should expect the only 2 players that could help remove the 2010 draft from awful to decent to sign elsewhere after their senior year(Hayes/Johns)? Really wish we would've gotten one or both signed already.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Obviously Hayes isn't a concern. His brother's in Rockford, and has played in Chicago quite a bit and he's already said he's hoping he can step right into the Hawks lineup after his Senior season at BC ends - lofty (and damn near impossible) hopes I know.

Johns seems as invested in the Hawks as he ever has been. From his twitter account, to him coming to the camp, to his interview there. Like I said, I'm still not 100% positive that he'll sign in Chicago, but I'm much more hopefull now than I was a month ago.