HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carbo is to blame for all the dumb penalties

Old
10-27-2006, 12:55 PM
habgab

vCash: 500
I disagree with the analysis that these are not lazy penalties. To me, they are. Hooking means that you let the player get by you and have chosen not to use your speed, but your stick. Slashing is more of the same....instead of taking the body, you use the stick to stop the other player. We have seen loads of hooking and slashing penalties taken by the Habs.

So, I think they are lazy penalties and I also think it is a miracle that to date the Habs have been able to avoid a multitude of power play goals against. It will catch up with them - if they want to compete with the top teams, they have to be firing on all cylinders, and you are not if you are playing 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 for great periods of the game.

As for Carbo, I think it is time to send a message to the team that undisciplined play will not be accepted. Get an undisciplined penalty, in the coach's view, and spend some time on the bench. Maybe that will deter the team from taking unnecessary penalties.

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't know that Carbo has that rep as a coach. He did as a player though. At a point, he and Gretzky had the worst reps in the league, according to some ancient poll. I suspect Fournier may have had that in mind when he said that. I say that because I don't see him getting too animated, but the camera isn't on him all game, so
Right - Fournier did make reference to Gretzky and that he has the worst rep as a coach in the NHL and it's part of the reason Pheonix is not doing well.

Fournier wasn't stating an opinion. He said that he had heard, through his ref brotherhood, that Carbo was a marked man and that someone close to the coach should talk to him.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by habgab View Post
I disagree with the analysis that these are not lazy penalties. To me, they are. Hooking means that you let the player get by you and have chosen not to use your speed, but your stick. Slashing is more of the same....instead of taking the body, you use the stick to stop the other player. We have seen loads of hooking and slashing penalties taken by the Habs.

So, I think they are lazy penalties and I also think it is a miracle that to date the Habs have been able to avoid a multitude of power play goals against. It will catch up with them - if they want to compete with the top teams, they have to be firing on all cylinders, and you are not if you are playing 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 for great periods of the game.

As for Carbo, I think it is time to send a message to the team that undisciplined play will not be accepted. Get an undisciplined penalty, in the coach's view, and spend some time on the bench. Maybe that will deter the team from taking unnecessary penalties.
Not all hooks and slashes are lazy. Recently Koivu got a penalty for hooking, but he was anything but lazy on the play. He reacted instantly to am open ice turnover. He bodychecked the player, but then his stick came up to waist level as it became a footsie battle for the puck. Two years ago, it would have been a perfect example of aggressively separating your opponent from the puck. Now it's a kind of strict liability for touching a player with your stick, whether you're hard or lazy on the play.

Perezhogin got an interference call for bumping a player who skated into him as he was trying to remain on side. Kovalev got a slashing penalty for tapping a player's stick out of his hand when he was nowhere near the puck. It used to be that a player who let that happen would get a few angry words from the coach about being tougher with his stick. Now he draws a penalty for it.

I agree penalties are a problem, and some of them are definitely due to laziness or dumbness. But a lot of them result from competing hard and aggressive -- just not to the liking of the New NHL.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 08:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
As usual, people trot out the record to camouflage the issues at hand.

The team has certain problems which are bound to catch up to them eventually.
Posting stuff like this is also bound to catch up with the posters...eventualy.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote