HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 12:48 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
I'm not sure I'd call Billings a questionable pick. It's more the favour pick; picking up the coach's son to give him a shot. If it was a middle-round pick, sure, I'd be looking twice, but a late pick, no sweat. It's like what the Devils did with Anthony Brodeur.

Old
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm not sure I'd call Billings a questionable pick. It's more the favour pick; picking up the coach's son to give him a shot. If it was a middle-round pick, sure, I'd be looking twice, but a late pick, no sweat. It's like what the Devils did with Anthony Brodeur.
I was not talking about this years pick but last yrs Jack Billing from the US,the selection of the goalie coach"s son was fine by me

Old
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM
big papa

According the TSN and London free press McCarron will be joining the Knights, who just like DLR was drafted by the Canadians this year, I dont know what role they played in getting him to sign with the Knights im gonna guess it was a big role but lets hope they push DLR to come to Windsor

TSN Article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427386

Old
07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Sec108

@Simon........I don't think my Q is bad.My reasoning is that back when we drafted Fowler and Ryan we still had our 1st rd picks.It was a bit diff then.We could wait it out.

Now we need to protect as many picks as we can and not waste them on kids that are going to give us a run a round.Sure theyre talented but if they dont come its a waste.Maybe concentrate on kids that want to come to the O.That's all Im saying by the Q.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I think they drafted in 12 and hopefully 13 better than 10/11 but it's hard to be as bad as those draft classes. I am still skeptical of the forwards and goal scorers. With the returning forwards there are still questions Vail only 45 goals in his career, Johnson might play but he never really made the strides between year 1 and 2, Ho-Sang really has to make that jump, Marchese ??. Rychel has obviously distanced himself from the pack in regards to goal scorers, 2nd leading goal scorer is Giftopolous once you include his Ottawa numbers. Verbeek ?? Moore ?? Obviously they hope De la Rose signs on and Yazkov can contribute right away but that's still a lot to ask for. Even moving forward once Rychel, Vail, Johnson, Marchese all graduate along with any OA's. I get the idea Windsor is going to play a very boring style trying to win games 2-1 and if they are successful great but it better lead to playoff success because watching the trap in junior hockey really is boring and stunts the growth of players. This is why I wasn't on board with all the early D taken the past couple years. It's a lot easier to find a steady D via trade Young, Shutron, Kwiet, Cantin etc.. than it is to find a top 6 forward that can score 30 goals.

Old
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend the Whalers just got another big commit in Connor Chatham. They have really turned over the forward group quickly with acquiring Sandlak, Vilardi, Chatham, Lee and their import pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson returned and to go along with Mistele and Hartman they have to be the favorites to win the division again.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend I think they drafted in 12 and hopefully 13 better than 10/11 but it's hard to be as bad as those draft classes. I am still skeptical of the forwards and goal scorers. With the returning forwards there are still questions Vail only 45 goals in his career, Johnson might play but he never really made the strides between year 1 and 2, Ho-Sang really has to make that jump, Marchese ??. Rychel has obviously distanced himself from the pack in regards to goal scorers, 2nd leading goal scorer is Giftopolous once you include his Ottawa numbers. Verbeek ?? Moore ?? Obviously they hope De la Rose signs on and Yazkov can contribute right away but that's still a lot to ask for. Even moving forward once Rychel, Vail, Johnson, Marchese all graduate along with any OA's. I get the idea Windsor is going to play a very boring style trying to win games 2-1 and if they are successful great but it better lead to playoff success because watching the trap in junior hockey really is boring and stunts the growth of players. This is why I wasn't on board with all the early D taken the past couple years. It's a lot easier to find a steady D via trade Young, Shutron, Kwiet, Cantin etc.. than it is to find a top 6 forward that can score 30 goals.
I get what u are saying and at least 1 maybe 2 forwards needed to current group
say an 18 yr and an O/A forward maybe 2 probably dreaming at 2 lol,but the current
group if 1 includes Johnson and Marchese is a start
My lines as of today would be

HoSang-Rychel-Yazkov
Vail-Johnson-Hughes
DeLaRose-Gifto-Marchese
Moore-Verbeek-Bilcke{for now}

sp Luchuk-Graham-Foss-Leslie-Kenney {pick 2}

You have to know at least 2 more will be added

Btw I do expect HoSang to improve alot,his snub from the 118 team hopefully motivates him
There is uncertainty regarding Johnson and Marchese I suspect,however if both
play both could come back next yr as O/As only saying not promoting
This years crop has some interesting players the Huddie kid is supposed to be pretty
good,Andlauer and Marlatt are thought of highly by the club,the Belerussian player
Trublin might be something sooner then later,Burns,Markovic,Murray show promise on the backend,along with last yrs picks Kotsovos,Baughman, and they say Morrison is underated,as well goalie Brendan Johnston looks like a good one
The future not a bleak as some may think,at least in the next 2 yrs Spits will have a 1st rd pick
If both Euros show as I expect and produce,along with Johnson and Marchese, a couple of deals who knows what happens
The Western Conference wont be bustling with powerhouses this year,alot of teams
maybe 5 or 6 or maybe more with little separation of talent

Old
07-10-2013, 03:09 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend the Whalers just got another big commit in Connor Chatham. They have really turned over the forward group quickly with acquiring Sandlak, Vilardi, Chatham, Lee and their import pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson returned and to go along with Mistele and Hartman they have to be the favorites to win the division again.
Still would be shocked if Wilson returns,I am not worried about the Whale yet
While they appear to have made some good moves,losing Payne hurts,while Viliardi
is unproven at the OHL level,Lee too,Sandlak gritty but no more then a 12-15 goal scorer,their Euro like Windsors will need time if he shows
The biggie is Wilson if he returns its huge,if not a terrible setback

Old
07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
big papa

I think Wilson will be back as Washington has a good crop of top 9 players in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Eart, Chimera, Laich , Fehr, Ward, Johansson, Brouwer. Washington doesn't have a history of rushing their prospect even though Wilson did play 3 games in the playoffs for them i think he will be back in Plymouth and will make the jump next season.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
I think Wilson will be back as Washington has a good crop of top 9 players in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Eart, Chimera, Laich , Fehr, Ward, Johansson, Brouwer. Washington doesn't have a history of rushing their prospect even though Wilson did play 3 games in the playoffs for them i think he will be back in Plymouth and will make the jump next season.
Dont disagree re Wilson,though the Caps have not added anybody to that group,I just think they can use a guy like Wison and his physical play,he might do better in the pros I dunno at this point in his career

Old
07-10-2013, 04:15 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Dont disagree re Wilson,though the Caps have not added anybody to that group,I just think they can use a guy like Wison and his physical play,he might do better in the pros I dunno at this point in his career
I agree that he would be a big help to them, he did look good in his 3 playoff games and yes they havent added anyone to that group but the free agent period just started so theres still time and who knows maybe they sign some one who plays similar to Wilson for a year so he can develop more

Old
07-10-2013, 04:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I can understand that point of view he still hasn't played a lot of OHL hockey though through 3 years only 125 hockey games. I think that's a big reason why he will be back in the OHL. I am sure Washington would like him in the AHL but that can't happen.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Hawks3

Rayzor why do say that Wilson can't play in the AHL? He would gain more experience there next year than playing in the OHL.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:58 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
@Simon........I don't think my Q is bad.My reasoning is that back when we drafted Fowler and Ryan we still had our 1st rd picks.It was a bit diff then.We could wait it out.

Now we need to protect as many picks as we can and not waste them on kids that are going to give us a run a round.Sure theyre talented but if they dont come its a waste.Maybe concentrate on kids that want to come to the O.That's all Im saying by the Q.
I follow your thinking . It's much harder to watch those picks burned when your sitting on the outside in back to back years. In 2010 I am pretty sure....Mark Hunter made a statement when team was stuck in neutral still chasing the Spitfires......he said long shot pics are over. We are taking sure fire show ups and that lead to the 2010/11 drafts.....almost all arrived .

But again this past draft Hunter and Rychel are right back in the Fishing Hole (US) with some scary picks.

Old
07-11-2013, 06:13 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
Rayzor why do say that Wilson can't play in the AHL? He would gain more experience there next year than playing in the OHL.
Agreement between CHL and NHL does not allow 18-19 years to play in the AHL until their 20th year
Had he been drafted from Europe or the USHL,or US high school that rule does not apply
An exception is if a player plays 4 yrs of jr prior to his 19th birthday ie Connor Macdavid or Aaron Eckblad could play in the AHL prior to grad at age 19 should they not make the NHL

Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Ottomatic

^ I think the NHL should look to change that rule as it stunts development of the player in special situations. I think NHL first rounders should be able to play in the AHL at 19yo, but the NHL team would need to buy that year away from his CHL team. It would diminish the talent in the CHL, but why would the NHL care. Locking CHL players into 20yo is just another reason for players to stay away from the leagues.

Not every first rounder would be purchased away - the NHL team wouldn't take them away from a prominent CHL role to ride the pine in the AHL so there would need to be room for them and they'd need to be considered physically ready. Also have a no ECHL rule for these players.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^ I think the NHL should look to change that rule as it stunts development of the player in special situations. I think NHL first rounders should be able to play in the AHL at 19yo, but the NHL team would need to buy that year away from his CHL team. It would diminish the talent in the CHL, but why would the NHL care. Locking CHL players into 20yo is just another reason for players to stay away from the leagues.

Not every first rounder would be purchased away - the NHL team wouldn't take them away from a prominent CHL role to ride the pine in the AHL so there would need to be room for them and they'd need to be considered physically ready. Also have a no ECHL rule for these players.
I think in today's NHL players drafted noadays you can make the case that the skill has fallen off since the years of the Crosbys, Malkins, Stamkos. The difference tho is I would say players drafted from pick #1 to #10 have a legitament shot of making the NHL club cause they are more NHL ready. Not skill wise but alot of these kids are developed to play 2-way grinding hockey and alot of them have excelent IQs. Most teams would rather have a kid develop in the nhl and play a support role cause alot of them are capable of the task.

Perfect example is from my favourite team the avalanche. The last two picks they got (landy/Mckinnon) I really don't consider to be in that stamkos, crosby class but more of a 2-way support role. Potential GREAT 3rd line players in the NHL possibly 2nd line on a bad team.

So to answer I think honestly any team picking out of the 10th pick would usually not have an open spot fot the player and therefore would like them to use their tenture in the CHL and then more seasoning in the AHL much like Detroit does. Bast***s lol

Old
07-11-2013, 09:32 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post

I like it. Weve seen the examples- Kassian, Rhino, someone else mentioned Wilson this year ect.... I agree totally for some (probably minority) the AHL would help tehm develop more , and quicker for alot of reasons

Some have outgrown the OHL but arent NHL ready.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
I think in today's NHL players drafted noadays you can make the case that the skill has fallen off since the years of the Crosbys, Malkins, Stamkos. The difference tho is I would say players drafted from pick #1 to #10 have a legitament shot of making the NHL club cause they are more NHL ready. Not skill wise but alot of these kids are developed to play 2-way grinding hockey and alot of them have excelent IQs. Most teams would rather have a kid develop in the nhl and play a support role cause alot of them are capable of the task.

Perfect example is from my favourite team the avalanche. The last two picks they got (landy/Mckinnon) I really don't consider to be in that stamkos, crosby class but more of a 2-way support role. Potential GREAT 3rd line players in the NHL possibly 2nd line on a bad team.

So to answer I think honestly any team picking out of the 10th pick would usually not have an open spot fot the player and therefore would like them to use their tenture in the CHL and then more seasoning in the AHL much like Detroit does. Bast***s lol
You're out to lunch if you is what you think Mckinnon's potential is; McKinnon was drafted to be their #1 center. Now there is always a chance that he busts, and if all he becomes is a 3rd line center, then he would likely be considered a bust.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Wow, does Plymouth ever rebuild?? They will be a very good team from the back end out. Ned as their tender is a great start and depending who they get back, could be a tough team.

Any news on the Spits goaltending situation?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
"Mackinnon's potential is as a 2nd or 3rd line centre in the NHL"
Now I have seen everything.
worst hockey statement ever.
I'll do you guys a favour and save this page on my bookmarks. I'll be sure to post it to you guys in the future if you're still around lol and yes I'm the type of person who will admit when I'm wrong. But as far as I'm concerned I've seen better.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
I'll do you guys a favour and save this page on my bookmarks. I'll be sure to post it to you guys in the future if you're still around lol and yes I'm the type of person who will admit when I'm wrong. But as far as I'm concerned I've seen better.
I respect that

I agree in that I don't think he is a Crosby or has the ceiling of a McDavid...but I do think he will be a first line centre. Heck if Bozak can centre a first line in the nhl I think Mackinnon will.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
big papa

Da La Rose article in the Windsor Star: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/07...oin-spitfires/

Old
07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
KyGuy9

Andre Burakovsky is staying in Sweden this season instead of Erie.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...185256586.html

Seems like the only reason he wasn't coming to NA is because of the team. (As he said before he was selected he was excited to come to NA)

Old
07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Andre Burakovsky is staying in Sweden this season instead of Erie.
Not quite true, as that story was ran on Monday.
If I may re-post an earlier posting by myself..

Just a update on Andre Burakovsky, from the official writer of the Caps, and good friend, Mr Mike Vogel
http://dumpnchase.monumentalnetwork....rway/index.jsp

"...There were some rumors flying around social media on Monday that Burakovsky had already decided he would not play in North America in 2013-14, and that he’d stay in Sweden for another season instead.

Speaking at an afternoon press conference between the two Monday practice sessions, Caps general manager George McPhee said that a decision as to Burakovsky’s 2013-14 playing destination had yet to be determined.

“We haven’t had those discussions with him yet,” says McPhee. “I just ran into him the other day and he said he’d like to talk to me about it at the end of this camp. So I’ll do that with him. He said he just wants to get acclimated here and get through this and then we’ll sit down and talk.”

Burakovsky echoed McPhee’s statement after finishing his afternoon practice session.

“I really hope that Washington can help me a lot to make a good choice where I should play next year,” says Burakovsky. “I’m drafted by Washington; they know a little bit over here and they can help me a lot. After the camp I should talk with my agent and Washington too, and then we’ll make a decision after the camp.”

From what I understand, he wasnt "disappointed" by Eries selection, but more "confused"??
He certainly dosnt come over as a "primadona" or "brattish" in any of his (many) interviews this week
(In fact his interviews have been superb, and the Caps have enjoyed taking every oppurtunity to show off this rather charming young man.)

In an interview today with Caps Director Of Scouting, Mr Ross Mahony ("in Ross We Trust") when asked where he would prefer Andre to play, he said very quickly, "junior"
"....the best enviroment for him, would be "junior" in North America.."

Regarding the weird (premature) tweet posted on Monday by his agent, Kevin Epp, the Washington Post asked him direct, to which he replied
“There are many factors to consider in this decision based on the Washington Capitals and on Andre...We will see what happens in the weeks ahead.”

Closed Thread