HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Re-Sign Carl Hagelin (2 years, $4.5M, $2.25M AAV)

Old
07-10-2013, 01:11 PM
egelband

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
rangers shouldn't have any trouble getting everyone signed, they still have almost $11 mill in cap space under the summer cap and that's including Powe and Asham. Callahan and Hagelin are also likely to start the year on IR which gives the team some flexibility in terms of replacing them during that period.

Also, trades
this is my thinking too. i think it's just a matter of time. weird they can't negotiate more than one deal at a time. i guess they're working with a few 'contingencies'

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Callahan got a bit more on his two year bridge. I think it's fair value.
My thoughts exactly. 2 years from now, Hags will be signing a long term higher valued deal for sure.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I know the points have been made throughout this thread, but I continue to see people stating that they think this is too much, so I'll repeat:

Looking at comparables, in 2009, Dubi got a contract with an AAV of $1.85MM. That represented 3.26% of the then $56.8MM salary cap. He was NOT arbitration eligible.

Hags' current contract represents only marginally more on a % of cap basis - it is 3.50% of today's cap of $64.3MM. However, he IS arbitration eligible.

Dubi's deal would have been $2,096,180 AAV under today's cap, so in other words, we paid about $154K in additional AAV to avoid arbitration.

This is a good deal.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hagelin got slightly overpaid partly because of the Rangers roster deficiencies. He is wildly inconsistent offensively -- he had just 3 goals in his last 29 games last season, playing primarily with Stepan. But hey, hes a top 6 winger on the Rangers so he'll get paid as such. He's this teams best LW'er, which is sorta scary.
Fastest skater in the NHL, has impeccable conditioning, and averages better than .5ppg in his first two seasons in the league.

To be objective, take a look at other players who have scored .5ppg in their early 20s.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals
...pretty solid talent.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Fastest skater in the NHL, has impeccable conditioning, and averages better than .5ppg in his first two seasons in the league.

To be objective, take a look at other players who have scored .5ppg in their early 20s.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals
...pretty solid talent.
Agree. This is good value for Hagelin.

So far our RFAs have signed for less then I had expected. Really hope Stepan does NOT get a bridge contract. He could be a 60 point player, getting him signed for under what his value will be in a couple of years would be huge.

If he gets a two year bridge, his next contract will be big.

I'm hoping he gets a McDonagh like contract. Buy some UFA years. By the second half of the contract it would be a bargain contract.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

This is a very fair deal in my eyes. I'm expecting a Stepan-lite breakout year for him. I'm sure a deal could have been made closer to 2m/per, but I definitely wouldn't consider this "overpayment."

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Lundsanity30

Awesome deal

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

This is also a good deal. He didn't get overpaid at all. Even when he's not scoring he's very effective.

He's at a little over .5 PPG for his career, and he scored .5 PPG in the playoffs this year. He's gonna be 25 and has been in the league 2 years.

Fine deal.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:05 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
this is my thinking too. i think it's just a matter of time. weird they can't negotiate more than one deal at a time. i guess they're working with a few 'contingencies'
What makes you think that they aren't? I'm 100% sure that they are talking to all of the players/agents at the same time. It's just that the deals don't all get done at the same time.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

negotiations is almost never based on players' actual value. Unless you're an out of the lineup depth guy or 5 minute a night man, most UFAs have leverage, RFAs have offer sheets, hold outs, term and future oriented tactics to use leverage, UFA in one have their leverage, and as with Hagelin, arb is always a good one that no GM (especially a Glen Sather) cares for.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Low-end of what I was expecting. Good signing.

07-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Kershaw

Very fair deal, love it.

He is already one of the top forwards on this team.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

weird how the range for Hagelin's contract according to the "consensus" is $1.5M to $3.0M

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
The Pouliot and Moore signings point to a redo of the bottom 6 which means a few trades are coming likely for picks which will clear cap space. Boyle and Pyatt via trade. Ash and Powe either on the team or sent to Hartford. Either way the space will open up.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
What makes you think that they aren't? I'm 100% sure that they are talking to all of the players/agents at the same time. It's just that the deals don't all get done at the same time.
nah, i'm sure they are...just seems that they aren't. i was also saying, by 'contingencies' that they probably have to do the deals in sequence due to the cap to some extent...i'm just impatient.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:32 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Another fair deal for both parties. Hagelin is a unique player for us, worth every penny!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Carwash View Post
Don't think we'll resign Zucc. I can't see Stepan getting anything under $4.5M which leaves us with $1.6 for Zucc, Falk and Mashinter with Powe and Asham in the minors, or $2.25M with Johnson in the minors as well.
I don't think Stepan deserves any more than 3.5 he's still really young and a RFA. He had one great HALF season and he struggled mightily during many parts of his career up until then including the first 15 or so games of this season. He isn't a McD who has been top pair, shutdown, first rate quality player for well over a full season or Staal who had been similarly a top player at his position for a lengthy duration. Stepan really deserves 3 mil for 2 years. More expensive bridge contract. I could see him getting 3.5-4 for more years. Hagelin has been a pretty damn good player. Earned every penny.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

like him or not, Hagelin is an impact player...every game, you notice him, he's a difference maker. Hes a huge part of this team.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:37 PM
NYR2007

My problem with hags is that I don't think he is really gonna improve. He's amazing on the forecheck but I don't think he's gonna score any more goals etc

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
My problem with hags is that I don't think he is really gonna improve. He's amazing on the forecheck but I don't think he's gonna score any more goals etc
Why not?

07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
SA16
Two by two...

Excellent deal.

SA16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I know the points have been made throughout this thread, but I continue to see people stating that they think this is too much, so I'll repeat:

Looking at comparables, in 2009, Dubi got a contract with an AAV of $1.85MM. That represented 3.26% of the then $56.8MM salary cap. He was NOT arbitration eligible.

Hags' current contract represents only marginally more on a % of cap basis - it is 3.50% of today's cap of $64.3MM. However, he IS arbitration eligible.

Dubi's deal would have been $2,096,180 AAV under today's cap, so in other words, we paid about $154K in additional AAV to avoid arbitration.

This is a good deal.
Oh definitely. It seems most of the expectations was $2 million and some of those say it's too much... But what's 225k more? It's so insignificant.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:45 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
So what if he doesn't? Doesn't what he already provides have value to this team? We complain that we don't develop bottom 6 players and when we do, we complain that they aren't good enough.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
like him or not, Hagelin is an impact player...every game, you notice him, he's a difference maker. Hes a huge part of this team.
Speed and forechecking. Now, if his stickhandling improved, I think we can see a year or two of 25+ goals.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I don't think Stepan deserves any more than 3.5 he's still really young and a RFA. He had one great HALF season and he struggled mightily during many parts of his career up until then including the first 15 or so games of this season. He isn't a McD who has been top pair, shutdown, first rate quality player for well over a full season or Staal who had been similarly a top player at his position for a lengthy duration. Stepan really deserves 3 mil for 2 years. More expensive bridge contract. I could see him getting 3.5-4 for more years. Hagelin has been a pretty damn good player. Earned every penny.
He'll get a Giroux type contract, 3 years, 3.75 AVV-ish. Its earned and i believe will continued to be earned. Not only is he our #1 C now but best defensive C in the top 3. This must happen even at the expense of losing MZA or Pyatt as the cost of signing MZA. The LITRs will give us some breathing room but a deal should be imminent.

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote