HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Erik Gustafsson, 1-year for $1m, one-way contract

Old
07-10-2013, 08:17 AM
JoeFlyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Its sheer lunacy to have that many d-men signed for that much money, guys that sit in the press box should be making league minimum. Not 4M. I don't care who may or may not get hurt. A team this close to the cap that has to make these weird moves just to get under can not afford to have guy be a healthy scratch at 4 million dollars or 3 million dollars.
Pretty much how I see it, I think Gus has to get more than 5/6 pairing mins now after last year. We will get injuries but so will other teams, condiering Meszaros and Grossmann are probably the two most likely to get hurt moving Mes isn't that big a deal.

Within the organisation there's Bourdon, Gervais, Lauridsen, Manning, Konan to play 7th D (in roughly that order) who have played at least a few NHL mins. If that doesn't appeal to you there's still free agency guys out there who could sit in that spot.

By trading Mes you open up bankable cap space and if the D really needs help, (i.e. you end up with a fart of long term injuries) you can see to it at trade deadline day.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Hiesenberg

Agreed, so you either move Coburn for actually players/picks/prospects or Mesz for simply cap relief.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I will say it again....me and a MTL fan agreed upon a Mez for Diaz deal. Mez has more upside if healthy and gives them a bigger body. It gives us a PMD. We save 2.8 million in cap hit. Both are UFA's next year. We then have Gus and Diaz in our top 7. We ALL know we will have at least 1 injury going on so all will play. And it pushed Gervais to #8...minors. If we have to "dump Mez for a pick, I would look to add Blum to a $750,000 contract...1 year. He can't be worse than Gervais.
Oh wow. Why hasn't this been announced yet?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:59 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post

that's hilarious

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:04 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Agreed, so you either move Coburn for actually players/picks/prospects or Mesz for simply cap relief.
Keep Coburn, unless there's a major deal going to happen which would change the shape of the team anyway he should stay.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Mez to Montreal (t5)

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Mez to Montreal (t5)
Put Mesz on waivers as soon as he clears his medical....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
captainpaxil

I think its pretty unanimous that this is the year gus becomes an nhl player. where he fits in the lineup is going to be determined at camp. im not counting on bourdon for anything and bearclaw still needs time to develop so keeping mez around for the start of the season is the route id go but if they feel the need to make a move that's the one to do. gervais is non factor, a measuring stick the young guys need to be better than to make the team, which I think they can easily overpass. cap space scores no goals blocks no shots and has zero hits so I could care less how much the team has.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
I think its pretty unanimous that this is the year gus becomes an nhl player. where he fits in the lineup is going to be determined at camp. im not counting on bourdon for anything and bearclaw still needs time to develop so keeping mez around for the start of the season is the route id go but if they feel the need to make a move that's the one to do. gervais is non factor, a measuring stick the young guys need to be better than to make the team, which I think they can easily overpass. cap space scores no goals blocks no shots and has zero hits so I could care less how much the team has.
Here are the guys that will most likely make the nhl:

Timonen
Streit
Schenn
Gross
Gus
Coburn
Mesz
Gervais

Somebody has to go, you aren't relying on kids at all, right now Gervais and somebody like Mesz will be scratched, you have a guy making 4Mil sitting watching the game. Massive waste of resources.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its sheer lunacy to have that many d-men signed for that much money, guys that sit in the press box should be making league minimum. Not 4M. I don't care who may or may not get hurt. A team this close to the cap that has to make these weird moves just to get under can not afford to have guy be a healthy scratch at 4 million dollars or 3 million dollars.
I don't understand, is cap space going to lace em up and play when Timonen breaks an ankle or when Coburn separates his shoulder? who the **** cares how much money is in the press box, you aren't paying it. Do you think it should be spent somewhere else? If so, where?

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I don't understand, is cap space going to lace em up and play when Timonen breaks an ankle or when Coburn separates his shoulder? who the **** cares how much money is in the press box, you aren't paying it. Do you think it should be spent somewhere else? If so, where?
Call up an AHLer, that's what they are there for. You honestly think the 7th guy on the D should make 4 million?

Not to count that they have 8 actually. So you have almost 5M sitting in the press box.

Plus I don't think you can dip into somebody's salary space until they are played on IR which is 10 games or 24 days (I think). So if the Flyers RIGHT up against the cap w/ Pronger's LTIR in place and somebody goes down on a day to day injury they will not have the space to replace him.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Call up an AHLer, that's what they are there for. You honestly think the 7th guy on the D should make 4 million?

Not to count that they have 8 actually. So you have almost 5M sitting in the press box.

Plus I don't think you can dip into somebody's salary space until they are played on IR which is 10 games or 24 days (I think). So if the Flyers RIGHT up against the cap w/ Pronger's LTIR in place and somebody goes down on a day to day injury they will not have the space to replace him.
Gervais is eligible to play in the minors I believe because he makes less the 900k. I honestly don't care that the guy sitting in the press box can make 4 million dollars, but I'd rather have Meszaros replacing whoever gets hurt then "some guy in the AHL"

Old
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Gervais is eligible to play in the minors I believe because he makes less the 900k. I honestly don't care that the guy sitting in the press box can make 4 million dollars, but I'd rather have Meszaros replacing whoever gets hurt then "some guy in the AHL"
Interesting. Almost every GM in the NHL doesn't think this way.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Is Meszaros, returning from injury, going to want to sit in the press box all season?

Sitting there drastically hurts his opportunity to get a new deal in the offseason.

He's not going to want to do that. He might even demand a trade.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:22 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:

Timonen
Streit
Schenn
Gross
Gus
Coburn
Mesz
Gervais

Somebody has to go, you aren't relying on kids at all, right now Gervais and somebody like Mesz will be scratched, you have a guy making 4Mil sitting watching the game. Massive waste of resources.
in all honesty a healthy mez plays 5on5 over streit hes going to bring a lot to the power play but I think expectations on him are pretty overblown. the sad thing is that mez has had a hard time staying healthy so the time hes spending off the ice will be on ltir and not in the pressbox. in addition timo has been a warrior for us but its not as if the effects of his age have been absent and sitting for a spell here and there wont surprise me. this isn't the traditional d setup more of 2a 2b with no one being exceptionally superior to the others. the advantage the flyers have now is depth but after gervais the dropoff is noticeable. that lack of salary comes with a lack of experience and development that can hurt you in the playoffs

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Larry44

Quote:

Timonen
Streit
Schenn
Gross
Gus
Coburn
Mesz
Gervais

Pretend you are Detroit, who don't give a crap how long their young guys have wait to develop.

Waive Gervais. That leaves 7.

Play:

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Meszaros

Sit Gus in the freakin' pressbox until/when someone gets hurt, or rotate him in the lineup with Meszaros.

Tell Gus that you appreciate his patience but Kimmo is due to retire and Meszaros is going to walk at the end of the year - and he'll have a spot in the top 6 then.

If Gus doesn't like it, trade him. He played well but let's not kid ourselves that Gus is EVER going to be more than a bottom pairing guy. He isn't. I like him in our 3rd pairing, but Grossmann-Meszaros would be a much better pairing (bigger, more experienced), or put Mesz with Streit and play Grossmann-Coburn together as a shut down pair.

There are lots of options that could include Meszaros, if he's healthy. It's a pretty formidable group and there will always be work for the 7th guy with nagging shotblock bruises, etc. With two guys coming off shoulder surgery and one coming off a bad concussion, we're going to need all the D we can get: this 7 and probably Gervais, Lauridsen and Manning before the season is done....

For 2014-15 you've got 4 guys under contract and Gus as RFA again.

?????-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann
-Gus

With Lauridsen, Alt, Manning and maybe even Hagg fighting for a spot - and that doesn't include any UFAs or deals Homer makes in the interim...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sit Gus in the freakin' pressbox until/when someone gets hurt, or rotate him in the lineup with Meszaros.

Tell Gus that you appreciate his patience but Kimmo is due to retire and Meszaros is going to walk at the end of the year - and he'll have a spot in the top 6 then.

If Gus doesn't like it, trade him. He played well but let's not kid ourselves that Gus is EVER going to be more than a bottom pairing guy. He isn't. I like him in our 3rd pairing, but Grossmann-Meszaros would be a much better pairing (bigger, more experienced), or put Mesz with Streit and play Grossmann-Coburn together as a shut down pair.
Don't agree with that. I can see him pushing for a 2nd pairing role, sure he won't carry a pairing but I think he'll be capable of going about his business effectively and be a transition from defence to attack. If he plays well this year he might be able to step into that role next year but first he needs to play this year.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Having that much money tied up in D will be problematic when our still-young and relatively cheap forward group starts asking for raises.

Not that it matters in the here and now, but long term it's a worry.

07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Having that much money tied up in D will be problematic when our still-young and relatively cheap forward group starts asking for raises.

Mez and Kimmo are both F/A after this year. My point is if you can't get something of value for Mez and its possible to keep everyone then they should.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Pretend you are Detroit, who don't give a crap how long their young guys have wait to develop.

Waive Gervais. That leaves 7.

Play:

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Meszaros

There are lots of options that could include Meszaros, if he's healthy. It's a pretty formidable group and there will always be work for the 7th guy with nagging shotblock bruises, etc. With two guys coming off shoulder surgery and one coming off a bad concussion, we're going to need all the D we can get: this 7 and probably Gervais, Lauridsen and Manning before the season is done....

For 2014-15 you've got 4 guys under contract and Gus as RFA again.

?????-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann
-Gus

With Lauridsen, Alt, Manning and maybe even Hagg fighting for a spot - and that doesn't include any UFAs or deals Homer makes in the interim...
Your overrating the hell out of Mez, Mr. Overpaid 5th defender. I'd rather go with the 24 yr old 1 mil a year defender than the 27 yr old made-out-of-glass 4 mil a year defender. The past two seasons, we didnt struggle cause Mez didnt play. No need for him now.

You dont sit Gus a whole year just to play Mez for one season. Absolutely not fair to Gus who showed he can play in the NHL NOW. Your right, if they wanna play Mez, trade Gus. Let another team use him instead of letting him rot a season on the bench.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your overrating the hell out of Mez, Mr. Overpaid 5th defender. I'd rather go with the 24 yr old 1 mil a year defender than the 27 yr old made-out-of-glass 4 mil a year defender. The past two seasons, we didnt struggle cause Mez didnt play. No need for him now.

You dont sit Gus a whole year just to play Mez for one season. Absolutely not fair to Gus who showed he can play in the NHL NOW. Your right, if they wanna play Mez, trade Gus. Let another team use him instead of letting him rot a season on the bench.
Agreed. Mez had one year of good play for the Flyers. Even then it wasn't great because they were sheltered minutes.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Look at how the contracts are structured. If Holmgren hasn't moved out Coburn already, and he hasn't found any buyers for Mez, he's not going to. Especially if Timonen calls it a career after this season. We just don't have the internal depth to replace those many minutes.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Mez is a former Barry Ashbee Award winner though!

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:40 PM
lancer247

I like the luxury of having Gus as the 7th and letting Mez play for a few months to increase his value. Look at what a guy like Regher got at deadline..2 2nds?

If they do move Mez in this off season I would feel better with a guy like Huskins as the 7th instead of Gervais or in addition to Gervais at similar money.

Also, if this team is close to being a cup contender Kimmo may sign another 1 yr contract which might not be too bad as it would help bridge the gap until Hagg or Morin make it.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:12 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I like the luxury of having Gus as the 7th and letting Mez play for a few months to increase his value. Look at what a guy like Regher got at deadline..2 2nds?
you don't sit a better player with the hopes of salvaging the value of another

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote