HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you/do you think you will be happy with the Briere signing?

View Poll Results: Are you happy?
Yes 211 48.96%
No 220 51.04%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
That's a generic statement repeated over and over in order to please the fans. You read that in most articles about UFA signings.

I don't think an other team offered 5M/y for 3 years, tbh.

I'd rather put my money on what Briere actually said. On July 3rd, the Habs offer was way better than everything he had so far on the table.
I suggest you re-read the part you quoted yourself...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Hey Bergevin said it, we "getting big forwards on the Top 6 is not easy".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Easiest way is drafting and development, just need to be patient.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
25get

Quote:
That's a generic statement repeated over and over in order to please the fans. You read that in most articles about UFA signings.

I don't think an other team offered 5M/y for 3 years, tbh.

I'd rather put my money on what Briere actually said. On July 3rd, the Habs offer was way better than everything he had so far on the table.

He said:
Quote:
I think we spoke first with the Canadiens (on July 3). I remember hanging up and thinking, Wow, whoever Im going to talk to next, its going to be tough to match what (GM) Marc Bergevin and (coach) Michel Therrien said.

They did a fantastic job of explaining where they were going and what they thought of their team. I was very impressed with both of them, how they view their team and where theyre going with it. There was no turning back after that especially starting with the fact that I wanted to be there in the first place.
Seems different from last sentence to me.

You say that Habs were offering more in time and money.
He says that their vision of the team was what enticed him.

Very different.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Especially when you trade them away. When Bergevin took over we had

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

So his mind set is dump Cole and now replace him with Briere then extend Desharnais.

So far Bergevin has looked pretty incompetent and this signing speaks towards a lack of direction/purpose.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:32 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

So his mind set is dump Cole and now replace him with Briere then extend Desharnais.

So far Bergevin has looked pretty incompetent and this signing speaks towards a lack of direction/purpose.
"Dumping" Cole was a freakin' steal and one of the smartest moves of the 2013 season by any GM...haters gotta hate, I guess...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofjive View Post
For me personally im not too happy with the trade, i guess we needed center depth and help on the pp, heres hoping Briere stays healthy for 2 years
Center depth: we have Plekanec, Eller, DD, White in center right now.
DD, White and Eller are still young.
Plus Galchenyuk who is going to transition to center sometime next season.
Also Briere who can play center and take faceoffs.

Also, Briere is pretty good on PP.

I really don't understand...

Old
07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
"Dumping" Cole was a freakin' steal and one of the smartest moves of the 2013 season by any GM...haters gotta hate, I guess...
Crisp and a few games from Ryder, if that is a "steal" the standards of this franchise have dropped to the bottom of the barrel.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Crisp and a few games from Ryder, if that is a "steal" the standards of this franchise have dropped to the bottom of the barrel.
4.5 mill wiped from the books on a guy putting no effort in & with the cap dipping almost 6 mill = no-brainer...at least hate on MB for something reasonable, dude...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
4.5 mill wiped from the books on a guy putting no effort in & with the cap dipping almost 6 mill = no-brainer...at least hate on MB for something reasonable, dude...
Only to spend 4 on Briere and re-sign Desharnais to a 3.5 million dollar cap hit. Amazing use of savings

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
So what would you prefer?

Ryder left, and now his hole has to be filled. Would you prefer to throw a raw rookie like Collberg or Thomas on a scoring line, and just hope they work out immediately?

Or would you prefer getting Clarkson for the cap hit/term he signed for? Or Horton for his cap hit/term?

Pretty much all the legit Top 6 Forward UFAs went for ~$5 million a year or more, many on long contracts. Briere is actually one of a precious few who could conceivably be a good Top 6 forward next year who went for significantly less than $5 million a year.

Briere really is just a stopgap measure until Gally is ready for full-time duty on the Top 2 lines, and one of Collberg, LeBlanc, and Thomas is ready to take Gally's current spot as 3rd line winger.

I'd prefer someone bigger and younger too, but that means Clarkson/Horton-type deals, and I'm not sure that would be best for a team with the young players and prospect depth up-front that Montreal has.

Simply put, MB had no clear, good options this offseason. The Habs have good depth up front, but we don't have anything approaching an elite first line, at least not yet. So for the foreseeable future we need to run three scoring lines. Gally-Chucky (with either Eller or Prust) eating other team's third lines for lunch was a huge part of our success last year.
So he had NO CHOICE but to **** us over by signing Briere? Really? There was no other choice? I heard this crap when we got Gomez and folks said the same thing then. It was BS then and it's BS now.

How about not signing the guy? How about not making our team even smaller than it was previously? How about not taking our biggest weakness and making it worse?

I'd have been okay with that.

Hell, re-sign Ryder for a year and keep the cap space. Sign Morrow for a year. Or make a trade... There's no way we could've traded for somebody? Even if it's not a player of Bobby Ryan's stature you're telling me we couldn't get anyone else in the league that wasn't a midget? Really?

Don't sit there and say there were no alternatives because that's BS. A GM's job is to find alternatives man.

You want to say being a GM is a hard job? Okay, no argument here. That doesn't excuse stupid moves like this. And when a GM makes a stupid move like this he deserves to get ripped.

Thanks for asking.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
25get

Quote:
What they had to say? Like, "Hey Danny, you know you will actually look taller if you play for the Habs?"

And we just don't have numbers regarding the other offers. It could mean that Nashville offered 4.25M for one year. Or 2.75M for three years (8.25M total).
Nobody predicted the Habs would win the division or be second in the East.

It is perfectly possible that Briere, really gave us a deal.
He never said so but he said that the direction where they were going really made him happy.

If I remember well, Briere went with the Flyers because he thought they were going to be a better team.
At that time, two young forwards were coming up: Carter and Richards (also Upshall, Umberber, Coburn).

Now we added three young players: Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Tinordi. Add Eller, Subban and Pacioretty to this and you have a pretty good start.

It is perfectly possible that other teams offered more to Briere and some sources said so.
But we might be the best offer among serious PO contender.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Bourdon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Only to spend 4 on Briere and re-sign Desharnais to a 3.5 million dollar cap hit. Amazing use of savings
I dont think this goes to detriment the trade, they are separate moves...

Bourdon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:

Habs are caught in some form of nightmarish vicious circle where we keep getting small guys even when we don't want them.

But i'm tired by the excuses.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:00 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Don't argue, you will get a "why you gotta hate?" because anything contrary to what management does is wrong and driven by hate. Welcome to hfboards where disagreeing is frowned upon.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:01 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

no, it was trade Cole for -> Ryder... (and a pick)

Old
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Should have traded DD for Ryder.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post

He said:

Seems different from last sentence to me.

You say that Habs were offering more in time and money.
He says that their vision of the team was what enticed him.

Very different.
I know he said that. But I just can't picture this:

You have a 10+ year vet, an experienced coach and a seemingly intelligent GM talking on the phone about how Briere would be a great fit on the Habs. And their vision of the team with Briere on it is so great that the guy is totally convinced and signs with them regardless of the fact that other teams offer much more (I don't believe that, but for the sake of discussion).

Look nobody here is able to justify the Briere move logically. We add a 5'7-5'8 forward on a top 6/9 that already has three such players. The only argument we see is 'now our GM has no choice but to trade DD'.

So yeah, my bet is that the Habs offered more money, period. The rest is just PR bull****.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

You have a 10+ year vet, an experienced coach and a seemingly intelligent GM talking on the phone about how Briere would be a great fit on the Habs. And their vision of the team with Briere on it is so great that the guy is totally convinced and signs with them regardless of the fact that other teams offer much more (I don't believe that, but for the sake of discussion).

Look nobody here is able to justify the Briere move logically. We add a 5'7-5'8 forward on a top 6/9 that already has three such players. The only argument we see is 'now our GM has no choice but to trade DD'.

So yeah, my bet is that the Habs offered more money, period. The rest is just PR bull****.
more like: you dont want to picture it because it wouldnt fit what you originally thought of the signing.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I'm fine with this now.

This wreaks of Bourque before the season. Everyone was upset with him and wanted him bought out, or traded for whatever we could get. A few people and myself said to wait, give him time and be patient. Of course those fans weren't. He did great for us and now some of them wouldn't dare say a negative word about him.

I think Briere will do well for us. The only way he won't is if people are expecting him to pot 60, or more points.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
WG

Quote:

I found a Nahville newspaper link that talked about them signing Briere (quick jump out to Google). Ah, yes, here we go.

"Briere, 35, has stated that he wants two things from his new home: a top six role and a chance to win. With Nashville, he could receive both of those requests.

Lots of teams in a position to contend next season probably dont have a spot for Briere among their top two lines, but the Preds certainly do. Their forward depth chart is lacking goal-scoring talent right now, and with a lot of minutes we could see Briere re-emerge as a lethal offensive threat."

http://sunbelthockey.com/danny-brier...ee-agency-nhl/

So, that's part of it. The second paragraph is probably key, you had Montreal, Nashville and NJ supposedly in the mix. Montreal provides the assumed best mix of playoff team plus a promise of top 6 icetime. I, too, sincerely doubt that DB refused a Nashville offer of 3/$12M or 2/$10 to come to Montreal, but it's conceivable that he had three comparable offers and chose Montreal on merit/opportunity.

It could be that instead of 'great vision' it's more like 'yeah, we'd put you on the top line and you'll get lots of PP time' and that was that.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
It could be that instead of 'great vision' it's more like 'yeah, we'd put you on the top line and you'll get lots of PP time' and that was that.
And why would Briere buy into such lies?

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
25get

Quote:
I would rather see it as Briere and Crisp for Cole.
Briere, Cole and Ryder are all paid at UFA market price.

For sure, the time Ryder was with us, he outperformed Cole.

If for the next two years, Briere contribution to us equals Cole performance in Dallas, we are clear winner.

It is easy to see that we have win so far.

BTW, Crisp should be able to block shots and fight to say the least.
Let see if he can get 50-60 points next season.
Does he play with McDavid?

Old
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

You can't picture it because it is a ridiculous statement made for the benefit of management and for the masses to cling to. When Gainey went on his "spending spree" there was a similar statement about how Gionta and Cammalleri came to play with Gomez because Gomez was such an amazing player.

It was idiotic then and it is idiotic now.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:15 PM
couris

4M for 2 years. excellent signing.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote