HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Osgood's Career

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey
Gillies won 4 stanley cups. Mullen had 1063 points in 1062 games. Both deserving in my opinion.
Mullen benefitted from a high scoring era. He only finished in the top 20 in scoring 3 times in his career. Just by looking at players who finished in the top 20 in scoring the last 4 years, I found 30 guys who did this in their career. Imagine if I had looked at every player in the league right now, the number might be closer to 50. I find it hard to believe that there are that many Hall of Famers in the league today, if Joe Mullen is the minimum to get in.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:35 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat

If you're going to be an ass and take an unnecessary cheapshot at the Blues, at least do it accurately because what you said made no sense at all.

Hello? I'm talking about the Wings teams that folded like a cheap tent.

Old
01-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Were they exposed in a waiver draft at age 29? No they were not.

It absolutely does. My point is if Chris Osgood is a Hall of Famer, then the Wings would have gotten rid of Legace and not Osgood.

Originally Posted by Dr Love

"Osgood is not a Hall of Famer. Hall of Famers don't get exposed in waiver drafts (no matter WHAT the extenuating circumstance is)."

I'm not arguing that Osgood isn't a HOF goalie. I'm just saying that it happens. You said HOFers don't get exposed "no matter WHAT the extenuating circumstance is." That's all.

The Wings decided to keep Legace because they needed a backup goalie to Hasek, not another number one goalie. This season, they elected to keep Legace over Joseph, for the exact same reasons. Because of needs. A second starter isn't going to do you any good if you have to pay him a starters salary and give him no playing time.

Osgood isn't a HOFer, but he is a bonafide NHL starter.

Old
01-09-2004, 06:30 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The Wings decided to keep Legace because they needed a backup goalie to Hasek, not another number one goalie. This season, they elected to keep Legace over Joseph, for the exact same reasons. Because of needs. A second starter isn't going to do you any good if you have to pay him a starters salary and give him no playing time.
half true, he was exposed because they couldnt find any takers for him.

which is his point. If he was a Future HOFer, somebody would of traded for him. Nobody sees him as a future HOFer, and at the time he was barely a starter.

Old
01-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
half true, he was exposed because they couldnt find any takers for him.

which is his point. If he was a Future HOFer, somebody would of traded for him. Nobody sees him as a future HOFer, and at the time he was barely a starter.
Well, I think at the time people knew the Wings would have a problem at the waiver draft, so they were just waiting to get him for free, which the Islanders did.

There's no way you could make a case for Osgood being a HOF goalie outside of the statistics. But he's still a pretty decent goalie. He got a fairly good return from the Blues.

Closed Thread