HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Spaling avoids arbitration (1 year, $1.5 mil)

Old
07-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Infinite Jest

vCash: 50
Nick Spaling avoids arbitration (1 year, $1.5 mil)

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/21-players...ry-arbitration

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Preds33

vCash: 500
Being relatively new to following the NHL, does this just mean he wants more money than Poile is offering?

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Being relatively new to following the NHL, does this just mean he wants more money than Poile is offering?
And/or length of contract. I'm guessing with our Free agent pickups that we will trade Spaling now, especially after this. Jim Diamond is convinced this is Spaling's way of trying to get traded. Makes sense

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah he is as good as gone.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:31 PM
preds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah he is as good as gone.
Yep. Unfortunate too, I really like Spals.
3C/PK seems to be his ceiling but perfect role for him.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Preds33

It's a shame. I thought it was cool to see the record the team had when Spaling scored, especially at home. Ridiculous winning % when he scores.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Either for a pick or defensive depth.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
ilikeblocks

Good riddance.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Been a fan of him since we drafted him hate to see him go

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Trade him for d depth...

Or trade him + another player for a roster upgrade at F then sign Ron Hainsey .

Unless Poile is part of the NHL collusion vs Hainsey?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Iron Duke

Alec Martinez, a decent young puck-moving d-man for the Kings also filed for arbitration, which tends to sour Lombardi. Wonder if he would be interested in swapping him for Spaling, though I'm not sure how much cap space the Kings are working with.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Man, I always thought he was one of our best pk'ers. Would rather have him than Gaustad to be honest.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:59 PM
glenngineer

I'm confused about something, when did Spaling do something wrong that everyone assumes he's gone or wishes he was gone. As far as I can remember everyone pretty much sucked this past season except for a handful of players. So why all the hate on Spaling? Others have filed for arbitration here as well. It's the players right to do so if they feel they are worth a certain amount. I don't recall Trotz ever calling him out, one of the few young players this has happened to so why is everyone ready to jettison him?

Poile stated we needed a roster change an we had too many of the same player. It's been addressed with the release of Yip, Hali and a few others. So other than Spaling, who plays like him? He does his job, he does it without fanfare and he's relatively cheap for what he brings to the ice and team. As someone stated I'd rather have him than Gaustad and I agree. He's still young and is a good role player. This fan base gets something in their head about a player and they want him gone. It goes for Suter and Klein and others over the year. We expect them to develop in a season and when they don't people want that player gone. Yeah, Spaling wasn't very good last year but who was. I think long term he's still a better fit than Gaustad and to be honest, I don't get the love for Goose. He's a one trick pony that's overpaid and injury prone it seems yet we're willing to give up on a good young player. Scratching my head. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree glenn. However, outside of Weber, who as went through arbitration with the Predators and remained with the team?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:14 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I agree glenn. However, outside of Weber, who as went through arbitration with the Predators and remained with the team?
Well if we lose Spaling then that's poor asset management because he's a solid NHL player. He's a good third liner and some people are thinking we can only get a late round pick for him is absurd. I have no problem with other guys being let go but if we don't bring back Spaling or keep him if the arbitrator agrees with his salary demands we're stupid.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

It's not that I want him gone, it's that the writing is on the wall. Look at the "lines" thread and look at the various combos. There's no space and he's not signed. Unless there's a move that Poile has lined up that'll shock us, he's the odd man (at least one of) out.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
PFL615

Glen, you didn't answer the question about who has filed for arbitration and remained with the team other than Weber? I'll give you a hint it's two players and they both got traded after filing.
I don't think anyone is hating on Spals. I think history has shown what is coming next.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
jhaf1210

I agree he is a great 3rd/4th line guy and awesome on the PK, does way more than Goose and is quite a bit cheaper. And I agree that it will be a shame for him to leave over what probably comes down to $250,000-$500,000 or an extra year on his contract again especially when you compare him to Goose. I think some of the hate for Spals comes from Poile calling him a Top 6 forward a couple years ago, it was a bit unfair to heap on a guy with his skill set. He's pretty much been the whipping boy for all offensive woes ever since.

jhaf1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Predatorbill

How much is he asking?

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:46 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Glen, you didn't answer the question about who has filed for arbitration and remained with the team other than Weber? I'll give you a hint it's two players and they both got traded after filing.
I don't think anyone is hating on Spals. I think history has shown what is coming next.
It's funny though. Remember when the team filed for arbitration with Weber it was business but Spaling files and the writing is on the wall. Funny double standard if you ask me.

So reality is this, if he gets what he wants the Preds reject it and he's gone with no compensation. Poor asset management. If he gets what the Preds offer he's here but probably gets traded for probably not a great return. If Poile didn't want him, why qualify him with the knowledge he could file for arbitration. Once again, if it's just business it shouldn't matter that he filed. He's a good player and it's stupid to get rid of him for overpaid free agents we've signed the last few years. And it's not like he's a slacker on the ice. This doesn't make sense unless Poile has some moves he's wanting to do and he can't until other teams make some moves as well. It's the only thing I can think of.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Glenn, its not about hate its about usefulness and cost. Spaling was already making over 1 million and I'm sure he expects a raise and several years. Well, as nice as it would be to keep him, given what we did on july 5, it makes no sense to pay spaling 1.5 to 2 for several years. Its pretty much a joel ward/greg zanon situation. He's played himself right out of out budget.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:01 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Glenn, its not about hate its about usefulness and cost. Spaling was already making over 1 millin and I'm sure he expects a raise and several years. Well, as nice as it would be, to keep him, given what we did on july 5, it makes no sense to pay spaling 1.5 to 2 for several years. Its pretty much a joel ward/greg zanon situation. He's played himself right out of out budget.
I get it. I really do. I just don't get how we pay a vet like goose the money we are but then can't afford a younger better version of him. And while I like some of the moves we made in free agency, I think most of them are overpaid for what they're going to bring at the cost of losing a home grown talent that ha always done their job well. Silly to pay more for outside talent than to retain your own players for less money.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
jhaf1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I get it. I really do. I just don't get how we pay a vet like goose the money we are but then can't afford a younger better version of him. And while I like some of the moves we made in free agency, I think most of them are overpaid for what they're going to bring at the cost of losing a home grown talent that ha always done their job well. Silly to pay more for outside talent than to retain your own players for less money.
I am a little baffled by this too. Haven't always agreed with Poile's moves, but it's hard to argue with his results and even if I didn't agree with the move I could either see his reasoning behind it or some other justification. However most of the moves this off season have me searching for his meaning.

Why spend this close to the cap to field a team that is going to be in a real fight just to get close to the playoffs?

Why let Yip, Halischuk and potentally Spaling walk only to sign basically older, more expensive versions of them in FA?

jhaf1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Problem is Spaling is not equivalent to Gaustad or Poile wouldnt have given Goose the fat contract

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Mike Dunham and Cale Hulse filed for arbitration for the 00-01 season. Dunham was traded on 12/12/02, Hulse was resigned as a free agent the following year and left at the end of the 02-03 season.

If Cale hadn't been involved I promise you I wouldn't have known.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote