HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
xlnc66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
In MacT's initial press conference, he talked about the team having to expose themselves to a greater element of risk. Trading a guy like Paajarvi (and a high pick) is definitely more risk than I could ever see Tambellini dealing with. Poor guy would've had a nervous breakdown if he had to make a decision on a trade like this one. This is definitely a deal that doesn't happen under the old regime.
I could care less about that 2nd rounder at this point. We have been stockpiling prospects with high picks for the past 5 years. At this point, the fans should want to start wanting to see wins now, not worrying about not having a 2nd round pick.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:49 PM
OILFAN #81

Can get used to this!

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:49 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

Oh wait, you're serious?
I think he is lmao

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Not to mention Bergeron has had 4 Concussions including a bad one and has led his team to a cup, almost a second this year, and is Boston is about to lock him up at 6mil+ per year....obviously they're not concerned. Perron has had 1 Concussion.
Anyone remember Stoll? So many people seemed to think he was over as a player because of concussions (I think it was just one?). He's done pretty damn well in LA and has a shiny ring to show for it.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
I could care less about that 2nd rounder at this point. We have been stockpiling prospects with high picks for the past 5 years. At this point, the fans should want to start wanting to see wins now, not worrying about not having a 2nd round pick.
that is why i'm OK with the Oil trading picks now....time to win and we all saw MacT and the boys at the draft turn two 2nd rounders into a couple of 3rd rounders and three 4th rounders and they stockpiled prospects for the system.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
shizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IIRC he dove another time as well didn't he?
I'm not sure. Either way diving is one of those things. When it works out in your teams favor its ok but its wrong/cheap (probably hundred other words I could use) if it works against you. There were some fans giving it to him pretty good in Rexall that night.

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Can get used to this!

You can't post that video. Only ones of him diving are allowed

Old
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
This is a trade I think we win on the basis of coming away with the best player, but the thing that bugs me most is that this is a player we should've never had to trade for in the first place. In the '07 draft, we took Gagner, Plante, and then traded up in the 1st for Nash when he was still on the board. I don't like to play the "hindsight draft expert", but I think there were more than a few around here who wanted Perron that year.

07-10-2013, 10:54 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
This is a trade I think we win on the basis of coming away with the best player, but the thing that bugs me most is that this is a player we should've never had to trade for in the first place. In the '07 draft, we took Gagner, Plante, and then traded up in the 1st for Nash when he was still on the board. I don't like to play the "hindsight draft expert", but I think there were more than a few around here who wanted Perron that year.
Not bad for being passed over in 2006

Old
07-10-2013, 10:54 PM
shizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Can get used to this!

Yeah but it was against a 50 year old Rolly in net. lol jk
Sick goal...

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
B A T M A N*

Quote:
That's why giving up our 2nd round pick is no biggie

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McNutty780

i really think renny ****ed over MPS to the point where his second year of development, strides and all really was this past year. Obviously its a good trade for us and we improve at that position, but our cluster **** of idiot coaches up till now really had no idea what they were doing with him at all.

Who can forget when we called him up from OKC and sent him back down the same day.

But that's all in the past. Good luck to the kid, i'm pulling for him to be a quality 40-45 pt TWF and i think St louis is a great place for him to make that happen

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Anyone remember Stoll? So many people seemed to think he was over as a player because of concussions (I think it was just one?). He's done pretty damn well in LA and has a shiny ring to show for it.
Yeah I thought he was done for good when he was with us still, but he has had multiple concussions and just recently an unprovoked seizure.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Yeah I thought he was done for good when he was with us still, but he has had multiple concussions and just recently an unprovoked seizure.
Oh wow I never heard about his seizure, that's scary. Always liked Stoll. I'll never forget a little story from some bozos I used to hang around with here in Calgary. They took a trip to Edmonton and while waiting at a light Stoll pulls up next to them. So they start trash talking the Oilers to him and he FLIPS, starts screaming at them, basically ready to fight these guys over insulting the Oilers. My respect for Stoll skyrocketed after hearing that little tale.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:05 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
The point is that the 2nd round pick probably didn't need to be a part of the deal at all. And a 2nd round pick holds significant value whether or not you end up using it on draft day.

Perron is a better player than Paajarvi, but he will likely be $2M+ more expensive over the next few years. Is he $2M+ more valuable? It's debatable, but what isn't is that an additional $2M in cap space (especially for a team as close to the cap as the Blues are/were) should carry a fair amount of value when it comes to trades in a cap league.

I still like the trade, and I'm ok with overpaying a little to improve the team, but that doesn't mean the overpay doesn't exist.

It was never the point I was trying to make, but I'd also argue that our prospect pool isn't nearly as deep as you seem to be suggesting, and a 2nd round pick definitely isn't something I'd give up for no reason.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave09 View Post
Just found out. What a horrible trade. Mac T just traded my second favorite oiler for more of the same. Paajarvi is going to be a great power forward in this league for 10 plus years. Perron good, but not worth this. Should of traded Hemsky with 50%-75% retained salary. Short term thinking usually ends up biting you in the A$$
If by power forward you mean another Jason Chimera you are right.
I would have preferred your deal by the way, but really, PRV has Horcoff hands and the hockey sense of my little sister. I like the guy too but he will not be more than a solid third line player.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Oh wow I never heard about his seizure, that's scary. Always liked Stoll. I'll never forget a little story from some bozos I used to hang around with here in Calgary. They took a trip to Edmonton and while waiting at a light Stoll pulls up next to them. So they start trash talking the Oilers to him and he FLIPS, starts screaming at them, basically ready to fight these guys over insulting the Oilers. My respect for Stoll skyrocketed after hearing that little tale.
hated the trade and still do he was a heart n soul player now this team needs exactly him and matt greene thats why if you do the 2 for 1 trades people want to do so badly then you better have a up in coming player to replace that guy you just traded.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:

I'm not sure if he's going to play this season.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Asher

Quote:
The point is that the 2nd round pick probably didn't need to be a part of the deal at all. And a 2nd round pick holds significant value whether or not you end up using it on draft day.

Perron is a better player than Paajarvi, but he will likely be $2M+ more expensive over the next few years. Is he $2M+ more valuable? It's debatable, but what isn't is that an additional $2M in cap space (especially for a team as close to the cap as the Blues are/were) should carry a fair amount of value when it comes to trades in a cap league.

I still like the trade, and I'm ok with overpaying a little to improve the team, but that doesn't mean the overpay doesn't exist.

It was never the point I was trying to make, but I'd also argue that our prospect pool isn't nearly as deep as you seem to be suggesting, and a 2nd round pick definitely isn't something I'd give up for no reason.
I think helping STL get some cap relief shouldn't have cost the 2nd either. Unfortunately, my lack of faith in this team's ability to draft after the 1st round doesn't make me think they would have found an NHLer with that pick.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
My thoughts exactly
We're the Oilers. The only way we can get calls is diving.

Seriously though, can we get some consistent reffing this season: total joke.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Stoll was ever even close to the player he was before the concussion. He was a beast physically before that happened.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
We're the Oilers. The only way we can get calls is diving.

Seriously though, can we get some consistent reffing this season: total joke.
Not as bad as the NFL was though lol

Old
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Not as bad as the NFL was though lol
agree, but it's almost worse because they aren't replacement refs

Old
07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
In MacT's initial press conference, he talked about the team having to expose themselves to a greater element of risk. Trading a guy like Paajarvi (and a high pick) is definitely more risk than I could ever see Tambellini dealing with. Poor guy would've had a nervous breakdown if he had to make a decision on a trade like this one. This is definitely a deal that doesn't happen under the old regime.
I don't know about that Misfit, the bottom line is that regardless of who the GM was this team needed to make tough decisions this offseason. If MacT really was "the anti-Tambo" we would've walked out of the draft having no used any of our top 3 picks because they would've all been dealt for immediate help.

Quote:
Bryan I hate diving too and for years I would have never condoned players like that on the Oilers. But if we're going to compete with teams that do that kind of garbage, we need to be able to do it too. The sad fact is that the best teams have players that pull this kind of crap.
I'd sooner rise above this kind of crap, we'll see what Eakins thinks about it if he does dive.

07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Any interviews with Perron yet? Has he commented on the trade?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote