HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Yeah I thought he was done for good when he was with us still, but he has had multiple concussions and just recently an unprovoked seizure.
You mean Raffi Torres provoked ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:32 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Any interviews with Perron yet? Has he commented on the trade?
Yes and he sounded both professional and excited.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Quote:
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...d=98&iid=43341

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
This is the problem I have though -- people complain about Tambellini's sphincter tightening over deciding what to have for lunch, let alone hockey deals... yet when MacT comes in and clearly signals change is needed, and makes a change (and we didn't get fleeced on the deal, we received the better player as of now)... fans are still upset? Sorry, not trying to make you the scapegoat but it just perplexes and confounds me, and I'm just another fan. You are truly damned if you do and damned if you don't, as a front office type for this hockey team.
That's a fair comment, but even if I accept your critique of "people" as though there's one hive mind (I never really ragged on Tambellini for doing nothing), there's room to be frustrated with both approaches. You could want your GM to do *something,* but not want him to sell the farm for magic beans.

Personally, I want MacTavish to fill the holes in the roster as best as possible without gambling the future away. I don't want Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz or Yakupov moved. I put Paajarvi outside that core, but not dramatically so. I liked what he brought to the team right now, and I was encouraged by his development.

I recognize that this team will only go as far as its young core will take it, and the best our management can do is support them while trying to to screw them up. I like moves like the Ference and Gordon signings. I hope the team pursues some of those other free agents out there, that they consider low-level RFA targets like Kyle Clifford or making trades with other salary-capped or budget teams for useful additions.

I don't want bold. I want smart.

This trade... I dunno. I'll reserve judgment. I think there's probably a misvaluation when it comes to the 2nd (and for those who say 'I don't care about the 2nd, I want to win now!', that's irrelevant to the discussion. It's not the dealing of the 2nd, it's the potential wasting of the asset that could be used to make other 'now' deals).

It's one of those 'good now, probably gonna suck in a couple years' deals. I don't think at this point of free agency, and with Hemsky still rotting on the vine, it's necessary to make 'buy now, pay later' moves.

But, y'know, it's done. Good luck to Paajarvi, but Go Perron! I hope he shuts me up and makes me indifferent to the long-term consequences.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Gregor and Tencer have interviewed him. He seemed pretty excited to be playing on a more offensive team with the other forwards. He also said he prefers to play LW. That's about it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:34 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
"@EdmontonOilers: "I'm excited to be joining such a young team with a lot of skill. I think my game is going to fit in Edmonton." David Perron"

"@EdmontonOilers: "The passion the fans have for the game is something I'm really looking forward to." Perron on coming to #OilCountry"

07-10-2013, 11:36 PM
spOiler

I feel like we got an eberle for the left side minus some offense but plus some grit and defence... Hmm happy good work Craig.

spOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You mean Raffi Torres provoked ?
Haven't been the biggest Torres fan since he fell apart after the extension but it was a clean hit

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
OilerBob
The Youth Movement

For me as a fan Maggy was like Penner. He was just frustrating to watch.. This team needs toughness and testicular fortitude with a big heaping pile of character.

OilerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Yes and he sounded both professional and excited.
IIRC, neither interviewer asked Perron about his concussion. I know a number of STL fans have said Perron has become more of a perimeter player since coming back. I would be curious to hear him comment on whether he's had to change his style after the injury or not.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
That's shameful but honestly we're missing players like that. As easy as it is to hate players that dive, every winning team seems to have them. It's important to get under the oppositions skin and with our powerplay a little embellishment here and there can go a long way.
That's what I was thinking too. The Oilers have been entirely too polite and easy to play against for far too long.
MPS was one of the softest players in the lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave09 View Post
Paajarvi is going to be a great power forward in this league for 10 plus years.
That will never happen for ten consecutive games never mind ten years.
Quote:
Should of traded Hemsky with 50%-75% retained salary.
Hemsky is going into the final year of his deal. The Oilers do not need to retain any of his salary in order to move this contract. It ridiculous the number of people making this suggestion. Furthermore, as little as you may think of Hemsky he's worth a lot more to any team in the league than MPS. So why would you want to trade Hemsky for Perron when you can get the player for MPS?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I love Mags but his comment about St. Louis being a contending team made me pause and chuckle a little.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:44 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I love Mags but his comment about St. Louis being a contending team made me pause and chuckle a little.
The blues remind me a lot of the kings, people kept saying "they're going to win a cup soon, they're going to win a cup soon" and it never happened then suddenly BOOM, cup

That could happen with the blues

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Hemsky is going into the final year of his deal. The Oilers do not need to retain any of his salary in order to move this contract. It ridiculous the number of people making this suggestion. Furthermore, as little as you may think of Hemsky he's worth a lot more to any team in the league than MPS. So why would you want to trade Hemsky for Perron when you can get the player for MPS?
I certainly hope this is true. My guess is, however, is that if hemsky does get traded you're going to be very upset with how little they get for him.

Old
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
IIRC, neither interviewer asked Perron about his concussion. I know a number of STL fans have said Perron has become more of a perimeter player since coming back. I would be curious to hear him comment on whether he's had to change his style after the injury or not.
He talked about his concussion with Gregor. He stated that he wasn't able to play overseas this year because he wouldn't be insured because he had a concussion in the past. He mentioned that even if you missed one game because of it that you wouldn't be insured. I guess a lot of guys including Crosby didn't go over because of it. He was unable to train as well as he would have liked because of it. A full offseason will probably do wonders for him.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:46 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Can get used to this!

Ales Hemsky is good for a few of those every season too. But somehow people think we need to trade him away for pluggers and retain half the salary.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I certainly hope this is true. My guess is, however, is that if hemsky does get traded you're going to be very upset with how little they get for him.
Then its very simple. We don't move him.
Hemsky has value at the trade deadline on this contract. A lot of value. Provided he's healthy.
We've sucked for five straight years. I don't think there's any particular reason to start rushing now to fill all the holes by opening day.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The one thing that worries me with Horcoff and Paajarvi gone is that all of a sudden our PK options at the forward position are very limited. Gordon, Jones and *puke* Smyth? Guys like Eberle are going to have to learn a new skill and fast.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:57 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Still jacked about this trade. Perron is going to be fun to watch. This team is going to score some highlight real goals this year if nothing else.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:04 AM
MrOiler

I really liked Magnus, but until he turns the corner he is nothing but "fools gold". Edmonton seems to love potential more than results themselves.

This move makes the team better.

Score 1 for MacT.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Then its very simple. We don't move him.
Hemsky has value at the trade deadline on this contract. A lot of value. Provided he's healthy.
We've sucked for five straight years. I don't think there's any particular reason to start rushing now to fill all the holes by opening day.
People forget that even playoff teams, particularly those on the bubble, still usually have at least one large hole on their roster. The 05/06 Oilers notably had a serious goaltending issue until we acquired Roloson. So expecting MacTavish to fix every single weakness before training camp is akin to asking him to build a contending team... it's just not realistic.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

If Perron can play the left (and it appears he can) we have a very, very good top 6. Ya it's not the most physical, but the straight up amount of skill in that top 6 rivals any team.

I hate to see MPS go, and I do think he'll be a good nhl player, but we have a good nhl player RIGHT NOW out of the trade. The 2nd doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Maybe the Blues get a diamond in the rough and it looks terrible in hindsight, but right now this is a good trade. Perron is a pretty damn good player, and certainly helps the team immediately.

I'd like to see some combination of these pairings.

Hall - ??? - Yakupov
Perron - ??? - Eberle

Where Nuge and Gagner go depends on chemistry and a whole bunch of other things.

I hate to split up Hall and Ebs, but the way Yak and Hall clicked at the end of the year, I think you need to see what they can do together.

Gagner and particularly Eberle can create offense on their own anyways.

PeakOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:07 AM
B A T M A N*

Quote:
Does this look like a perimeter player?

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:09 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
People forget that even playoff teams, particularly those on the bubble, still usually have at least one large hole on their roster. The 05/06 Oilers notably had a serious goaltending issue until we acquired Roloson. So expecting MacTavish to fix every single weakness before training camp is akin to asking him to build a contending team... it's just not realistic.
Some times I amazed at the things poeple say. THey have this ideal team in their head, then say we need this or that to be a ideal team, however they don't look around and see that the teams that wins the cups have holes. Boston has never had a true #1 C. Bergeron is a stud, but not the elite point producer most people think of. Chicago went into the year with a really unproven goalie... ect.. ect. the list goes on. No team lives up to peoples idea of what a perfect team with no holes is.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Petes2424

Im not sure I've seen it mentioned in all the posts, all afternoon...

Does anyone realize how much open ice Perron and Gagner ware going to create for Yak? Hopefully he's not like I was and trip over wide open lanes to the net.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote