HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Philippe Lefebvre and a 7th to Florida for George Parros

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
  #701
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Fighting is in hockey to stay. WAY too much of a popular thing in the US. It would be a mistake to take it out anyway. The day fighting is out, you'll see cheapshots like there's no tomorrow.
Well it's been like that since the instigator penalty was added, it will just get worse.

Is there really a penalty for removing your helmet before a fight now? Did I miss that memo? Just being implied that it's next some day, correct?

Tusk is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 07:31 PM
  #702
kassian
Registered User
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,993
vCash: 500
Laraque mentioned that Parros isn't feared in the league. Tell us, Georges, how many available players out there are truly feared? About none (unless you count Chara and Looch, but good luck getting them). So all this tells me that Mr. Georges's jimmies are rustled because he didn't obtain a contract despite hinting at a possible comeback.

kassian is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
  #703
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
So, BGL stopped sending faxes and now he`s chirping continuously like old lady. That whining is endless, isnt it? Pathetic.
He's learnt how to tweet now instead

ScottFC is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:11 PM
  #704
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That makes no sense. If you watch hockey for fighting, then you're not watching hockey. What do you do during the playoffs?
Watching NHL hockey? No less than 32 players had at least one major during the last playoffs. 42 last year and 26 the year before.

The day that the NHL is dumb enough to remove fighting from NHL hockey is the day that many hardcore fans who have been fans of this sport for years and years will drop the game, and I'm one of them.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
  #705
CHwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Watching NHL hockey? No less than 32 players had at least one major during the last playoffs. 42 last year and 26 the year before.

The day that the NHL is dumb enough to remove fighting from NHL hockey is the day that many hardcore fans who have been fans of this sport for years and years will drop the game, and I'm one of them.
I call BS, the NHL won't lose one hard core hockey fan if they ban fighting. It's foolishness plain and simple, has no place in any game played by men.

CHwest is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
  #706
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Watching NHL hockey? No less than 32 players had at least one major during the last playoffs. 42 last year and 26 the year before.

The day that the NHL is dumb enough to remove fighting from NHL hockey is the day that many hardcore fans who have been fans of this sport for years and years will drop the game, and I'm one of them.
I doubt it. People use those claims because they have no better arguments as to why fighting belongs in hockey more than any other sport. The claims are weak and outlandish. It's baseless fear mongering.

People still turn out to watch Olympic and international hockey. There are no more cheapshots there than their currently are in the nhl (which probably has to do with stricter and clearer sanctions which are more strongly enforced) and isn't any less exciting to watch.

Andy is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
  #707
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I doubt it. People use those claims because they have no better arguments as to why fighting belongs in hockey more than any other sport. The claims are weak and outlandish. It's baseless fear mongering.

People still turn out to watch Olympic and international hockey. There are no more cheapshots there than their currently are in the nhl (which probably has to do with stricter and clearer sanctions which are more strongly enforced) and isn't any less exciting to watch.
If you take fighting out of the game, then you'll have the Brashear-McSoreley incident happen on a monthly, if not weekly bases.

International games normally have all skilled players on their team. Also, those tournaments are short. Fewer games. In an 82 game season if you take a cheap shot and you're suspended for 3 games, big whoop ?

Analyzer is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
  #708
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwest View Post
I call BS, the NHL won't lose one hard core hockey fan if they ban fighting. It's foolishness plain and simple, has no place in any game played by men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I doubt it. People use those claims because they have no better arguments as to why fighting belongs in hockey more than any other sport. The claims are weak and outlandish. It's baseless fear mongering.

People still turn out to watch Olympic and international hockey. There are no more cheapshots there than their currently are in the nhl (which probably has to do with stricter and clearer sanctions which are more strongly enforced) and isn't any less exciting to watch.
If you two know better than I do what I'll be doing, hats off to you.

When the NHL was threatening the last lockout, I promised not to spend an additional penny on NHL products for 5 seasons. Season one is in the books and while I was tempted to buy souvenirs for my kids while on a trip to Montréal, I resisted and bought something else. I will do what I said I'd do. I'm no sheep and when they (Bettman) destroy what I've loved for 4 decades, they're not going to have me back... and I know that I'm not alone.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
  #709
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
If you two know better than I do what I'll be doing, hats off to you.

When the NHL was threatening the last lockout, I promised not to spend an additional penny on NHL products for 5 seasons. Season one is in the books and while I was tempted to buy souvenirs for my kids while on a trip to Montréal, I resisted and bought something else. I will do what I said I'd do. I'm no sheep and when they (Bettman) destroy what I've loved for 4 decades, they're not going to have me back... and I know that I'm not alone.
Again no argument here why fighting belongs in the game.

I don't expect a ban, but there will be stricter sanctions for sure and people will get used to it, just like they got used to all the other changes made in hockey. If fighting is the most important aspect of hockey for you, maybe you're watching the wrong sport.

Andy is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
  #710
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you take fighting out of the game, then you'll have the Brashear-McSoreley incident happen on a monthly, if not weekly bases.
What is this based on? Nothing. What a ridiculous and baseless argument.

Quote:
International games normally have all skilled players on their team. Also, those tournaments are short. Fewer games. In an 82 game season if you take a cheap shot and you're suspended for 3 games, big whoop ?
Regardless, it doesn't take away at all from the game. Look at the playoffs where fighting is significantly reduced and condensed to smaller isolated incidents, the games are still extremely exciting to watch.

Other physical and contact sports have banned fighting, we don't see anyone dying on the field on a weekly basis. We don't see soccer players attacking other players with their boots, kicking them in the head on a regular basis. We don't see football players ripping off the limbs of opponent players and bashing them with their helmets. These are arguments used for people who have no other justification for fighting, so instead resort to "scare tactics" and "fear mongering" to make their point.


Last edited by overlords: 07-10-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Andy is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
  #711
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
Laraque mentioned that Parros isn't feared in the league. Tell us, Georges, how many available players out there are truly feared? About none (unless you count Chara and Looch, but good luck getting them). So all this tells me that Mr. Georges's jimmies are rustled because he didn't obtain a contract despite hinting at a possible comeback.
While I agree with you about the fack that Georges should shut up, I would say that Carkner, probably Erskine even if he doesn't fight as much and John Scott are feared.


Last edited by Forsead: 07-10-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Forsead is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
  #712
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Again no argument here why fighting belongs in the game.

I don't expect a ban, but there will be stricter sanctions for sure and people will get used to it, just like they got used to all the other changes made in hockey. If fighting is the most important aspect of hockey for you, maybe you're watching the wrong sport.
Where did you read that it's THE most important aspect? It's one of the important aspects in my opinion, as important as hitting, scoring, making saves, defending. It's THE aspect that differentiates international hockey with NHL hockey and that's why I like the NHL better.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 11:00 PM
  #713
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Where did you read that it's THE most important aspect? It's one of the important aspects in my opinion, as important as hitting, scoring, making saves, defending. It's THE aspect that differentiates international hockey with NHL hockey and that's why I like the NHL better.
Add to the fact that international hockey, like the Olympics, actually has referees who call penalties when penalties occur.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 11:13 PM
  #714
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Add to the fact that international hockey, like the Olympics, actually has referees who call penalties when penalties occur.
Man, that'd be nice. You know. Actually using the rule book.


I'm such a dreamer.

overlords is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
  #715
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
And the MMA will be laughing all the way to the bank. I could be wrong, but I suspect less people will be interested in watching hockey.
Someone has to start an alternate non-wussy league somehow. Make a deal with Spike TV. Good old fashion hockey, no visors, bench-clearing brawls, etc...

Kimota is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 11:37 PM
  #716
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Man, that'd be nice. You know. Actually using the rule book.


I'm such a dreamer.
depends wich one you're talking about, the reg. season book or the P.O. book

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 11:41 PM
  #717
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars
 
Lars Mon Amour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saint-Hyacinthe, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,339
vCash: 500
Another stupid debate about fighting?

HERE. WE. GO.

Lars Mon Amour is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:21 AM
  #718
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Boogaard, Rypien, Belak, Probert .

Really. Fighting is really important. Get a life. Oh! You conveniently forgot? No problem...

groovejuice is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
  #719
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you take fighting out of the game, then you'll have the Brashear-McSoreley incident happen on a monthly, if not weekly bases.

International games normally have all skilled players on their team. Also, those tournaments are short. Fewer games. In an 82 game season if you take a cheap shot and you're suspended for 3 games, big whoop ?
NCAA hockey does not allow fighting. Is this league significantly more violent than the CHL or NHL, as you suggested in your post?

Hemlor is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
  #720
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Well it's been like that since the instigator penalty was added, it will just get worse.

Is there really a penalty for removing your helmet before a fight now? Did I miss that memo? Just being implied that it's next some day, correct?
There is no evidence that banning fighting will result in increased 'cheapshots'. And if there were a sudden increase that is quite easy to curb, it only takes the officials, league, and union to make punishments more severe.

Hemlor is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:41 AM
  #721
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Boogaard, Rypien, Belak, Probert .

Really. Fighting is really important. Get a life. Oh! You conveniently forgot? No problem...
Boogaard- Accidental overdose of pain killer (heart failure/addiction)

Probert- Heart Attack

Rypien and Belak- Suicide caused by depression they had both been fighting with for their whole careers.(Not just a short bout) There was no sudden change in either of them.

Yes CTE was found in all 4 but in two cases (Boogaard and Probert) it played absolutely no part in their deaths and for the other two, they both had a documented history of depression during their whole careers before any brain damage truly had time to set in. That's not to say that CTE did not push them over the edge (it could have) but there is no conclusive proof that CTE caused their death.

If you wanted examples for CTE, you would have been better off pointing out the players still living that have brain damage/memory loss than the ones that died at a young(er) age for various reasons.


To get back on topic, as long as he is used sparingly to help alleviate the stress on Prust, I can't wait to see Parros and his mustache in a Habs jersey.

PsychoticHab is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:48 AM
  #722
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Boogaard- Accidental overdose of pain killer (heart failure/addiction)

Probert- Heart Attack

Rypien and Belak- Suicide caused by depression they had both been fighting with for their whole careers.(Not just a short bout) There was no sudden change in either of them.

Yes CTE was found in all 4 but in two cases (Boogaard and Probert) it played absolutely no part in their deaths and for the other two, they both had a documented history of depression during their whole careers before any brain damage truly had time to set in. That's not to say that CTE did not push them over the edge (it could have) but there is no conclusive proof that CTE caused their death.

If you wanted examples for CTE, you would have been better off pointing out the players still living that have brain damage/memory loss than the ones that died at a young(er) age for various reasons.


To get back on topic, as long as he is used sparingly to help alleviate the stress on Prust, I can't wait to see Parros and his mustache in a Habs jersey.
I heartily encourage you to fzzz ozz

groovejuice is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
  #723
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
NCAA hockey does not allow fighting. Is this league significantly more violent than the CHL or NHL, as you suggested in your post?
The NCAA has a very severe penalty system for any cheap shot and if the NHL was willing to go that way (say 25 games instead of 5 and so on) then I would have no problem supporting it and slowly seeing the lessening of fighting in the league. (Suspensions for "staged" fights, violently jumping a combatant and not giving them a chance to defend themselves, ect.)

I would even hope that the league would go in that direction eventually but I have a hard time seeing this day ever come.

PsychoticHab is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:58 AM
  #724
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I heartily encourage you to fzzz ozz
Did I miss the point of your post? If so I'm sorry I guess fatigue made me miss something.

If not, care to explain?

PsychoticHab is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
  #725
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Did I miss the point of your post? If so I'm sorry I guess fatigue made me miss something.

If not, care to explain?
I'm sure you're right and these horrendous and inexplicable deaths are random and unimportant. Clearly there is no significance between being an enforcer and dying.

groovejuice is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.