HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Philippe Lefebvre and a 7th to Florida for George Parros

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Tusk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Fighting is in hockey to stay. WAY too much of a popular thing in the US. It would be a mistake to take it out anyway. The day fighting is out, you'll see cheapshots like there's no tomorrow.
Well it's been like that since the instigator penalty was added, it will just get worse.

Is there really a penalty for removing your helmet before a fight now? Did I miss that memo? Just being implied that it's next some day, correct?

Old
07-10-2013, 07:31 PM
kassian

Laraque mentioned that Parros isn't feared in the league. Tell us, Georges, how many available players out there are truly feared? About none (unless you count Chara and Looch, but good luck getting them). So all this tells me that Mr. Georges's jimmies are rustled because he didn't obtain a contract despite hinting at a possible comeback.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
So, BGL stopped sending faxes and now he`s chirping continuously like old lady. That whining is endless, isnt it? Pathetic.
He's learnt how to tweet now instead

Old
07-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That makes no sense. If you watch hockey for fighting, then you're not watching hockey. What do you do during the playoffs?
Watching NHL hockey? No less than 32 players had at least one major during the last playoffs. 42 last year and 26 the year before.

The day that the NHL is dumb enough to remove fighting from NHL hockey is the day that many hardcore fans who have been fans of this sport for years and years will drop the game, and I'm one of them.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
CHwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Watching NHL hockey? No less than 32 players had at least one major during the last playoffs. 42 last year and 26 the year before.

The day that the NHL is dumb enough to remove fighting from NHL hockey is the day that many hardcore fans who have been fans of this sport for years and years will drop the game, and I'm one of them.
I call BS, the NHL won't lose one hard core hockey fan if they ban fighting. It's foolishness plain and simple, has no place in any game played by men.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Andy

Quote:

I doubt it. People use those claims because they have no better arguments as to why fighting belongs in hockey more than any other sport. The claims are weak and outlandish. It's baseless fear mongering.

People still turn out to watch Olympic and international hockey. There are no more cheapshots there than their currently are in the nhl (which probably has to do with stricter and clearer sanctions which are more strongly enforced) and isn't any less exciting to watch.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I doubt it. People use those claims because they have no better arguments as to why fighting belongs in hockey more than any other sport. The claims are weak and outlandish. It's baseless fear mongering.

People still turn out to watch Olympic and international hockey. There are no more cheapshots there than their currently are in the nhl (which probably has to do with stricter and clearer sanctions which are more strongly enforced) and isn't any less exciting to watch.
If you take fighting out of the game, then you'll have the Brashear-McSoreley incident happen on a monthly, if not weekly bases.

International games normally have all skilled players on their team. Also, those tournaments are short. Fewer games. In an 82 game season if you take a cheap shot and you're suspended for 3 games, big whoop ?

Old
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwest View Post
I call BS, the NHL won't lose one hard core hockey fan if they ban fighting. It's foolishness plain and simple, has no place in any game played by men.
Quote:

If you two know better than I do what I'll be doing, hats off to you.

When the NHL was threatening the last lockout, I promised not to spend an additional penny on NHL products for 5 seasons. Season one is in the books and while I was tempted to buy souvenirs for my kids while on a trip to Montréal, I resisted and bought something else. I will do what I said I'd do. I'm no sheep and when they (Bettman) destroy what I've loved for 4 decades, they're not going to have me back... and I know that I'm not alone.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Andy

Quote:
If you two know better than I do what I'll be doing, hats off to you.

When the NHL was threatening the last lockout, I promised not to spend an additional penny on NHL products for 5 seasons. Season one is in the books and while I was tempted to buy souvenirs for my kids while on a trip to Montréal, I resisted and bought something else. I will do what I said I'd do. I'm no sheep and when they (Bettman) destroy what I've loved for 4 decades, they're not going to have me back... and I know that I'm not alone.
Again no argument here why fighting belongs in the game.

I don't expect a ban, but there will be stricter sanctions for sure and people will get used to it, just like they got used to all the other changes made in hockey. If fighting is the most important aspect of hockey for you, maybe you're watching the wrong sport.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you take fighting out of the game, then you'll have the Brashear-McSoreley incident happen on a monthly, if not weekly bases.
What is this based on? Nothing. What a ridiculous and baseless argument.

Quote:
International games normally have all skilled players on their team. Also, those tournaments are short. Fewer games. In an 82 game season if you take a cheap shot and you're suspended for 3 games, big whoop ?
Regardless, it doesn't take away at all from the game. Look at the playoffs where fighting is significantly reduced and condensed to smaller isolated incidents, the games are still extremely exciting to watch.

Other physical and contact sports have banned fighting, we don't see anyone dying on the field on a weekly basis. We don't see soccer players attacking other players with their boots, kicking them in the head on a regular basis. We don't see football players ripping off the limbs of opponent players and bashing them with their helmets. These are arguments used for people who have no other justification for fighting, so instead resort to "scare tactics" and "fear mongering" to make their point.

Last edited by overlords: 07-10-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
Laraque mentioned that Parros isn't feared in the league. Tell us, Georges, how many available players out there are truly feared? About none (unless you count Chara and Looch, but good luck getting them). So all this tells me that Mr. Georges's jimmies are rustled because he didn't obtain a contract despite hinting at a possible comeback.
While I agree with you about the fack that Georges should shut up, I would say that Carkner, probably Erskine even if he doesn't fight as much and John Scott are feared.

Last edited by Forsead: 07-10-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Again no argument here why fighting belongs in the game.

I don't expect a ban, but there will be stricter sanctions for sure and people will get used to it, just like they got used to all the other changes made in hockey. If fighting is the most important aspect of hockey for you, maybe you're watching the wrong sport.
Where did you read that it's THE most important aspect? It's one of the important aspects in my opinion, as important as hitting, scoring, making saves, defending. It's THE aspect that differentiates international hockey with NHL hockey and that's why I like the NHL better.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:00 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Where did you read that it's THE most important aspect? It's one of the important aspects in my opinion, as important as hitting, scoring, making saves, defending. It's THE aspect that differentiates international hockey with NHL hockey and that's why I like the NHL better.
Add to the fact that international hockey, like the Olympics, actually has referees who call penalties when penalties occur.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Add to the fact that international hockey, like the Olympics, actually has referees who call penalties when penalties occur.
Man, that'd be nice. You know. Actually using the rule book.

I'm such a dreamer.

Old
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
And the MMA will be laughing all the way to the bank. I could be wrong, but I suspect less people will be interested in watching hockey.
Someone has to start an alternate non-wussy league somehow. Make a deal with Spike TV. Good old fashion hockey, no visors, bench-clearing brawls, etc...

Old
07-10-2013, 11:37 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Man, that'd be nice. You know. Actually using the rule book.

I'm such a dreamer.
depends wich one you're talking about, the reg. season book or the P.O. book

Old
07-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Another stupid debate about fighting?

HERE. WE. GO.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:21 AM
groovejuice

Boogaard, Rypien, Belak, Probert .

Really. Fighting is really important. Get a life. Oh! You conveniently forgot? No problem...

Old
07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

NCAA hockey does not allow fighting. Is this league significantly more violent than the CHL or NHL, as you suggested in your post?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Well it's been like that since the instigator penalty was added, it will just get worse.

Is there really a penalty for removing your helmet before a fight now? Did I miss that memo? Just being implied that it's next some day, correct?
There is no evidence that banning fighting will result in increased 'cheapshots'. And if there were a sudden increase that is quite easy to curb, it only takes the officials, league, and union to make punishments more severe.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:41 AM
PsychoticHab

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Boogaard, Rypien, Belak, Probert .

Really. Fighting is really important. Get a life. Oh! You conveniently forgot? No problem...
Boogaard- Accidental overdose of pain killer (heart failure/addiction)

Probert- Heart Attack

Rypien and Belak- Suicide caused by depression they had both been fighting with for their whole careers.(Not just a short bout) There was no sudden change in either of them.

Yes CTE was found in all 4 but in two cases (Boogaard and Probert) it played absolutely no part in their deaths and for the other two, they both had a documented history of depression during their whole careers before any brain damage truly had time to set in. That's not to say that CTE did not push them over the edge (it could have) but there is no conclusive proof that CTE caused their death.

If you wanted examples for CTE, you would have been better off pointing out the players still living that have brain damage/memory loss than the ones that died at a young(er) age for various reasons.

To get back on topic, as long as he is used sparingly to help alleviate the stress on Prust, I can't wait to see Parros and his mustache in a Habs jersey.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:48 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Boogaard- Accidental overdose of pain killer (heart failure/addiction)

Probert- Heart Attack

Rypien and Belak- Suicide caused by depression they had both been fighting with for their whole careers.(Not just a short bout) There was no sudden change in either of them.

Yes CTE was found in all 4 but in two cases (Boogaard and Probert) it played absolutely no part in their deaths and for the other two, they both had a documented history of depression during their whole careers before any brain damage truly had time to set in. That's not to say that CTE did not push them over the edge (it could have) but there is no conclusive proof that CTE caused their death.

If you wanted examples for CTE, you would have been better off pointing out the players still living that have brain damage/memory loss than the ones that died at a young(er) age for various reasons.

To get back on topic, as long as he is used sparingly to help alleviate the stress on Prust, I can't wait to see Parros and his mustache in a Habs jersey.
I heartily encourage you to fzzz ozz

Old
07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
NCAA hockey does not allow fighting. Is this league significantly more violent than the CHL or NHL, as you suggested in your post?
The NCAA has a very severe penalty system for any cheap shot and if the NHL was willing to go that way (say 25 games instead of 5 and so on) then I would have no problem supporting it and slowly seeing the lessening of fighting in the league. (Suspensions for "staged" fights, violently jumping a combatant and not giving them a chance to defend themselves, ect.)

I would even hope that the league would go in that direction eventually but I have a hard time seeing this day ever come.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:58 AM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I heartily encourage you to fzzz ozz
Did I miss the point of your post? If so I'm sorry I guess fatigue made me miss something.

If not, care to explain?

Old
07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Did I miss the point of your post? If so I'm sorry I guess fatigue made me miss something.

If not, care to explain?
I'm sure you're right and these horrendous and inexplicable deaths are random and unimportant. Clearly there is no significance between being an enforcer and dying.

Closed Thread