HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2013, 10:29 PM
  #651
digmor crusher
Registered User
 
digmor crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
You guys keep saying " 5 year plan" no, its a 7 year plan because thats how long it takes to develop thru the draft without any major free agent signings, and Bergy will not do any major free agent signings.

That is all.

digmor crusher is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
  #652
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Simmonds is the better player. Coburn is better.

Diaz... If get anything more than a 3rd I'd be ecstatic.

Our centre depth would be small, but we'd have 3 of the 4 top 6 wingers at 6'2.

Philadelphia laughs at us and hangs up.

Also, has anyone heard of the salary cap ?
3rd round d-men from 2006:
Junland, Strait, Tulupov, Gryba, Peckham, Quick, Rahimi, deGray and Anhilov (Petry and Mike Weber in second round).
3rd round d-men from 2007:
Katic, Negrin, Yannick Weber, Bortuzzo, McPherson.
Raphael is better than most.

You may say that Gryba is better in defense but 2 goals and 4 assists and 33 NHL games is not that good.
We need d-men like Gryba but it does mean he has better value than Diaz.

Plus you have to wait 5 years for that d-man to get to NHL.

Actually, at the trade deadline, we should be able to get at least a 2nd round if we wish to trade him.

Edit: at the same time, between Dietz and Diaz, I would take DD.

25get is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
  #653
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Emelin was 5th in defensemen for PK TOI/G.

Do you have evidence he had higher quality of competition than other defensemen on the team? I don't know, but you are making the assertion.

20 minutes for a defenseman a night (19:40 a night to be precise) was good for 5th for defensemen on the team.

Of course, Emelin received little to no PP time, so that is skewed a bit.

However, 20 minutes a night is average for a defensmen considering there are three pairings on a team and there is 60+ minutes in a game.

A minute eating defensemen receives ~24 minutes of ice time a night, in any given situation.

No one on the Habs is capable of those types of minutes except Markov and Subban. Considering that Markov gets a nice chunk of his time on the PP, this is simply not good enough and exactly my point.

The Habs desperately need a solid two-way second pairing defenseman.
I'm answering you here, because this was posted in the Morrow thread.

I think last season was the last one that Emelin was still developping his NA game, next season we will see what really he's made of and I think he will take a real top 4 place, but that doesn't mean you're not right IMO.

Especially with the quote in bold, I feel the same way for 3 years now...

I'm curious about who are the guys you have in mind though ? Who are the guy that will pay on the roster (Gorges or Diaz would be mine) and which assets would you trade ?

In the last few season I wanted the Habs to find a guy to ''fill'' Harmlik role on the team that was left empty : Dennis Seidenberg (before the damn Bruins got him) and Jason Garrison, were the guys I wanted and they IMO would have change the dynamic of the team.

The team really need a big physical guy (ideally that can clear the crease), play on the PK, second PP wave (with some passing skill and/or good slapper), play 21-22 minutes against high quality opponents, have some shutdown abilities and is good for 20+ pts years in and out. Looking at guy like this maybe Coburn, Ericsson, Bieksa, Bogosian, Edler...

Thoses guys have a price though maybe one of Diaz/Gorges + pick + good prospect (not named Beaulieu or Tinordi).

Forsead is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
  #654
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
You guys keep saying " 5 year plan" no, its a 7 year plan because thats how long it takes to develop thru the draft without any major free agent signings, and Bergy will not do any major free agent signings.

That is all.
Actually, Bergevin himself keeps saying that it's not a 5-6-7 year plan, but he's trying to make this team competitive for years to come, but drafting well and developing its own talent. It's an ongoing process he's trying to implement.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
  #655
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
You guys keep saying " 5 year plan" no, its a 7 year plan because thats how long it takes to develop thru the draft without any major free agent signings, and Bergy will not do any major free agent signings.

That is all.
In the next two years, we have Collberg, Beaulieu, Dietz who are looking very good.
Besides those, two of DeLaRose, Lehkonen, Pateryn, Thomas, Ellis, Hudon, Leblanc, Bennett, McCarron, Nygren will be with us.

Adding 5 players in two years is pretty good.
You have at least two top-9 and two top-4 in this list.

As for next year, we have a team that is pretty similar to the one that won the division.
We should be better on the physical side with Tinordi and Parros.
And MB will continue to improve on this side.

Also the chemistry in this team should improve.
If Price can play to his best, we are a very strong contender for the title in the East.

25get is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:35 AM
  #656
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Morrison Hotel
Posts: 7,707
vCash: 500
Bergevin should sign Radek Dvorak... just so we can hear this during 82 games:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post

Bloumeister is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 12:51 AM
  #657
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,771
vCash: 500
pick the cheapest D(the younger/nastier the better) that has the most upside from this list:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2012/new_...=10&team=&pos=

edit: 2011 season http://www.behindthenet.ca/2011/new_...=10&team=&pos=

TT1 is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 04:30 AM
  #658
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
i was thinking about trading desharnais to washington for joel ward. now with briere, we have too many centres (philly fans say that briere is pretty ineffective on the wing), and joel ward could bring us some net presence and grit. on the other hand, the caps are really thin down the middle and dd could provide some secondary scoring for them.

their cap hits are similar, but ward is signed for just two years, and we can put him on the foutrh line, or even buy him ot for cheap if he doesn't pan out. if desharnais stops producing we're stucked with him for a loooong time.

any thoughts?

billy piton is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 05:22 AM
  #659
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 12,583
vCash: 500
what's embarrassing is posters here bending over backwards to criticize bergevin for moves made by OTHER TEAMS and by completely ignoring the reality of those trades.

see both side of the coin: we don't have a MPS to send to st-louis. the end. you want to send beaulieu there for perron? tinordi? what about patches? eller? no. then he'd say **** you, i don't want your trash.

oh, and yes, we DEFINITELY need to be softer, let's go get him!

****ing pathetic...

MasterDecoy is online now  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:37 AM
  #660
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
You guys keep saying " 5 year plan" no, its a 7 year plan because thats how long it takes to develop thru the draft without any major free agent signings, and Bergy will not do any major free agent signings.

That is all.
How do you know that?

I think in a couple years he will be more agressive on the UFA market. Once Galchenyuk Beaulieu and Tinordi get close to his prime, the Habs will hopefully enter their "top contender" window. All 3 could fill major need.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:43 AM
  #661
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
what's embarrassing is posters here bending over backwards to criticize bergevin for moves made by OTHER TEAMS and by completely ignoring the reality of those trades.

see both side of the coin: we don't have a MPS to send to st-louis. the end. you want to send beaulieu there for perron? tinordi? what about patches? eller? no. then he'd say **** you, i don't want your trash.

oh, and yes, we DEFINITELY need to be softer, let's go get him!

****ing pathetic...
We have guys like that, but Perron isn't a guy that will be a key piece for us. He gives us more of what we already have in an undersized, one dimensional 40-50 point guy. Ryan would have fit a much bigger need, but the price was very high(3 prime assets) and the timing was 2 years too soon. That's a deal I could see MB make in 2 years, by then Ryan could be a UFA or require a huge contract.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:51 AM
  #662
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
PERRON to the oil, i guess MB has a plan, oh ya , to get beat up again next year.


Yeah cause finishing top 5 in the NHL is embarassing...and Dave Perron is a guy that would make us a powerhouse with all those games spent in the infirmery.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:55 AM
  #663
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post


Yeah cause finishing top 5 in the NHL is embarassing...and Dave Perron is a guy that would make us a powerhouse with all those games spent in the infirmery.
montreal is gonna get smacked around in the playoffs again this year, everyone knows its gonna happen.
theyre gonna finish like 6th in the east and then they'll lose against the first team that bully's them

TT1 is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 06:59 AM
  #664
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
i was thinking about trading desharnais to washington for joel ward. now with briere, we have too many centres (philly fans say that briere is pretty ineffective on the wing), and joel ward could bring us some net presence and grit. on the other hand, the caps are really thin down the middle and dd could provide some secondary scoring for them.

their cap hits are similar, but ward is signed for just two years, and we can put him on the foutrh line, or even buy him ot for cheap if he doesn't pan out. if desharnais stops producing we're stucked with him for a loooong time.

any thoughts?
What would that accomplish?

Desharnais's cap hit is a bargain for his production, Ward is dramatically overpaid. Havbs would lose in value and take a bigger risk.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:07 AM
  #665
marchabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
You guys keep saying " 5 year plan" no, its a 7 year plan because thats how long it takes to develop thru the draft without any major free agent signings, and Bergy will not do any major free agent signings.

That is all.


so the guy has 7 years to make it happen??! damn, I wish my boss was that patient

marchabsfan is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:16 AM
  #666
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
montreal is gonna get smacked around in the playoffs again this year, everyone knows its gonna happen.
theyre gonna finish like 6th in the east and then they'll lose against the first team that bully's them
And little Dave Perron would prevent that from happening?

Like, really?

Really?


Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:42 AM
  #667
NH57
Habs 4 Life
 
NH57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
I wonder if Bergevin has considered bringing in Ron Hainsey. He's 6'3" 210 and can log lots of minutes, solid top 4 defensive d-man.
I wouldn't mind seeing us get him if the price and term was right.

NH57 is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 07:57 AM
  #668
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
I wonder if Bergevin has considered bringing in Ron Hainsey. He's 6'3" 210 and can log lots of minutes, solid top 4 defensive d-man.
I wouldn't mind seeing us get him if the price and term was right.
Not a bad fit, as you said the money and term would tell the tale. 3-4 years at 3.5-4 mil would be acceptable.

Another factor would be, what are the pans for Markov Diaz and Emelin as all 3 can be UFA's next summer.

Subban and Gorges are signed/under control, plus Tinordi and Beaulieu should be expected to be regulars in 2014-2015. I guess MB could sign those 3 to extensions plus Hainsey, then move one or two in the next 12 months...

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:09 AM
  #669
BigDaddyLurch
#FireDaSystem
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
I wonder if Bergevin has considered bringing in Ron Hainsey. He's 6'3" 210 and can log lots of minutes, solid top 4 defensive d-man.
I wouldn't mind seeing us get him if the price and term was right.
Hainsey isn't really a physical guy, as big as he is, and his foot speed is lacking...basically is a bigger Gorges...plus Pateryn was looking good, may be ready for the show...

BigDaddyLurch is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
  #670
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,430
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
I wonder if Bergevin has considered bringing in Ron Hainsey. He's 6'3" 210 and can log lots of minutes, solid top 4 defensive d-man.
I wouldn't mind seeing us get him if the price and term was right.
Thing is we need more of a physical presence on defense, Hainsey would be nice but he doesn't add muscle back there

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
  #671
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
What would that accomplish?

Desharnais's cap hit is a bargain for his production, Ward is dramatically overpaid. Havbs would lose in value and take a bigger risk.
i think desharnais is a bigger risk due to contract lenght and because of the fact that he can produce decently only if you give him ample offensive starts and powerplay time. besides, i think that agally and eller could do a better job ih they are given that kind of opportunity.

plus, desharnais is having really huge shooting percentage during his relatively short career and i'm not sure if that's sustainable.

ward is, of course, less talented player, and he is probably overpaid by 1m, but it's only for 2 years. if he doesn't play good enough on third line, he is still above average fourth liner.

if desharnais lose some pp time and offensive starts or if his shooting percentage drops, he could become absolutely useless. i'm really scared of that contract.

billy piton is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:54 AM
  #672
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
i think desharnais is a bigger risk due to contract lenght and because of the fact that he can produce decently only if you give him ample offensive starts and powerplay time. besides, i think that agally and eller could do a better job ih they are given that kind of opportunity.

plus, desharnais is having really huge shooting percentage during his relatively short career and i'm not sure if that's sustainable.

ward is, of course, less talented player, and he is probably overpaid by 1m, but it's only for 2 years. if he doesn't play good enough on third line, he is still above average fourth liner.

if desharnais lose some pp time and offensive starts or if his shooting percentage drops, he could become absolutely useless. i'm really scared of that contract.
Last year Desharnais put up decent numbers even though he didn't do much on the PP. 5 on 5 his numbers were almost on par with 2011-12.

He has a high shooting percentage because he doesn't "throw puck on the net" a lot like some players do, he is apass first type guy and Pacioretty is the shooter.

There are a lot of much more scary contracts on the team, like Price's. At some point you go forward and see what happens.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
  #673
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,302
vCash: 500
So when we hear 5 year plan, does that mean that's when he'll make his first trade?

This off season has been sooo boooring!

Sign someone already!

shutehinside is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
  #674
NH57
Habs 4 Life
 
NH57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Hainsey isn't really a physical guy, as big as he is, and his foot speed is lacking...basically is a bigger Gorges...plus Pateryn was looking good, may be ready for the show...
I think Pateryn could use a bit more time in Hamilton, either him or Beaulieu should be our top defensive call-up.

NH57 is offline  
Old
07-11-2013, 09:09 AM
  #675
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
So when we hear 5 year plan, does that mean that's when he'll make his first trade?

This off season has been sooo boooring!

Sign someone already!
I'd rather have boring than stupid. Look at Toronto...exciting but not for the right reasons.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.