HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-11-2013, 08:35 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
That's the way to appreciate one of the few players on our roster that seemed to give a damn every single night. Go back and read through the post-game reviews. I am not saying he's a Hall, but he did an ok job on the 2nd line this year and had no problem what-so-ever playing on the 3rd line when necessary.
PRV is going to be like Stoll IMO. A guy that can fill in on your 2nd line if need be, but is a better fit for the 3rd line.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
Even if Maggy becomes the better player down the road, we know we arent getting a bust in return. I like this deal for two reasons.

1) Culture change. I like Paajarvi's attitude, but it doesn't hurt to change out some of our guys who are used to losing for guys who are winners. Perron, Ference and Gordon are winners. Hamilton and Acton come from a competitive winning system. I'm hoping there is still a move or two that really helps to make training camp a new and very competitive culture.

2) No matter who the better player is in 5 years, this certainly makes us a much better team today, and that is a sign that our kids need. That management is trying to improve us.

notloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Sorry but i only pick players hated by their own coach

Hitch is gonna love Maggie.

But Perron is Mark Messier...i get it ... tell that to LA and SJ . they dont give 2 shats.steam roll a comin.

I put us second last in our new conference. See yas

Oilers are hoping we get a Marchand out of this. From watching 20+ STL games a season...i say they failed.
You do realize we are a worse team with Paajarvi in the lineup, right? Bottom 6 and D still needs fixing and we are small, but it is an improvement.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Tyrolean

I take every comment here with a grain of salt. No one knows the future, you are all just guessing.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
That's the way to appreciate one of the few players on our roster that seemed to give a damn every single night. Go back and read through the post-game reviews. I am not saying he's a Hall, but he did an ok job on the 2nd line this year and had no problem what-so-ever playing on the 3rd line when necessary.
Maggie was bloody brutal in any offensive role he was put in. He's offensively braindead. He completely lacks offensive instincts. He didn't do well on the second line.. He created jack and **** for his linemates.

You claim Yakupov became a better player with him and use a bunch of ******** numbers. I watch Maggie play and I don't recall him ever making more room or setting Yak up for a play... ever. The guy who did that was the little squirt Gagner btw.

He has the potential to be a solid 3rd line player once he grows a pair of balls.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Most nights he was barely noticeable. This is an upgrade and it's not even close, really...

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I take every comment here with a grain of salt. No one knows the future, you are all just guessing.
Educated decisions are the basis for speculation.

What we do know is this. Perron is a better player today. Perron has had more success at the NHL level and Perron is only 25.

Good luck to MPS who might struggle some this year under Hitch OR he might become one of those Hitch guys. We can only guess that future...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
We should just shut these boards down then as that's all that is really going on in all the threads.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Insightful. I thought this was obvious on a hockey sight about the future

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Maggie
Playing with crap linemates, doesnt waste time dangling, great defeensive IQ, had chemistry with yaks when finally put to second line for last games.
NO PP TIME, 4ht and 3rd line TOI, 25th place team
9gs 7a -1
not sure where you got your information but it is clearly wrong. In his last 9 games, he had 4 assists and 1 goal playing with the highest quality offensive linemates available. Lets look at his points

1) vs Min - goal, Yak does all the work, gagner crashes the net, Maggie swipes in the loose puck

2) vs Col - 2 assists - Justin Shultz and eberle scores goals, Maggie gets 2nd assists

3) vs Van - 2 assists - last game of the season, meaningless to Canucks, Yakupov scores both goals, Maggie gets 1 primary and one secondary assist.

go to nhl.com and check the highlights. Maggie was a complementary player to some skilled linemates. That isn't a bad thing but Perron will easily be able to outperform him.

edit - I just checked the highlights. Maggie had one point last year where he wasn't on the ice with Gagner or eberle. That goal was a one hand on stick deflection of a Ryan Smyth gift.

Last edited by Mr Sakich: 07-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:08 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Let me tell you something boys and girls... We knew one of the kids had to go for us to make any change. One did, and probably the one that we'd all be okay with dealing.

You don't get Perron by dealing them Hemsky. Nobody wants Hemsky. You have to give up some potential to get anything worth while. We did that.

Just two days ago, some of you were using MacT's "Bold" comment in jest. It's painfully obvious to me that a lot of people here got too comfortable with Tambellini in charge because you knew he'd hold onto potential for as long as he could. Now some seem to think that MacT was too bold.

Bottom line is that this trade makes us better now. Judging by how this board loves early first round picks, I can get why getting better is a bad thing for some of you.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm thinking that we might have to move a guy like N. Schultz or worse guys like Petry or Smid to get some cornerstone type bottom 6 guys.
Smid or Petry for bottom 6 guys? That would never happen.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:21 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Maggie was bloody brutal in any offensive role he was put in. He's offensively braindead. He completely lacks offensive instincts. He didn't do well on the second line.. He created jack and **** for his linemates.

You claim Yakupov became a better player with him and use a bunch of ******** numbers. I watch Maggie play and I don't recall him ever making more room or setting Yak up for a play... ever. The guy who did that was the little squirt Gagner btw.

He has the potential to be a solid 3rd line player once he grows a pair of balls.

Try reading the post you are replying to next time.

Last edited by LaGu: 07-11-2013 at 09:29 AM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:22 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Smid or Petry for bottom 6 guys? That would never happen.
we need to fix a bottom 6 forward hole..........lets use a top 4 dman which we also need to fill it..................

1 week later
"we are going to have to trade one of our top 6 if we want to fill the hole in the top 4 D"

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

It always amazes me at poll results. The vast majority like this deal, yet the negative views on this or just so damn negative.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:37 AM
robbiezyg

I like it because Perron brings a winning attitude, plays bigger than his size, and has a lot more offense than paajarvi. I dont like that concussion and I hope he is past that. If he doesn't get another concussion i'm a happy man but if i've learned anything about the oilers is that our top 6 gets run ALOT. this trade doesn't really address the size issue in the top 6 but kind of on an unrelated note, ference will be on the ice to kick the crap out of anyone that runs the kids. I like the trade because this is exactly the kind of trade you pull the trigger on with the cap coming down and teams are in a bind.

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Musashi

I know Paajarvi didn't get the most ideal linemates here but he is still a big work in progress. He had 11 goals in 72 AHL games, like c'mon that is just not getting it done or showing any offensive upside right now. Even when he played with Eberle and Nuge, he never looked good with them. I don't see how anybody doesn't see a massive upgrade here.

It doesn't matter if Paajarvi will be a better player in 4-5 years, we need to upgrade our current team. We have more than enough prospects in the system now after the last draft that I'm sure we will replacing players like Perron with cheaper and more affordable prospects who are ready to step in down the line and bring a more physical edge.

The thing is, Perron was available right now. I don't see players like Kulemin being available at all for 2nd round picks unless its a massive overpayment. Why would these other teams give up on players like that when they only make their team better. The blues needed to move somebody and that guy was Perron and we got good value from it and will reap the benefits from it. It's not the perfect player we were looking for but unless you want to keep looking for a player that will probably never be available, then we will have to settle for Perron who is still a big upgrade to the top 6. Most of you were so afraid to touch Clarkson but look at the value a player like that gets in this league. Paajarvi and a 2nd currently, will never be close to being a good enough package to land a big top 6 forward, much less a center.

Unless your answer is to bring in Penner and think he will save the day in the top 6..

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
I know Paajarvi didn't get the most ideal linemates here but he is still a big work in progress. He had 11 goals in 72 AHL games, like c'mon that is just not getting it done or showing any offensive upside right now. Even when he played with Eberle and Nuge, he never looked good with them. I don't see how anybody doesn't see a massive upgrade here.

Unless your answer is to bring in Penner and think he will save the day in the top 6..
this!!

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post

It doesn't matter if Paajarvi will be a better player in 4-5 years, we need to upgrade our current team. We have more than enough prospects in the system now after the last draft that I'm sure we will replacing players like Perron with cheaper and more affordable prospects who are ready to step in down the line and bring a more physical edge.

The thing is, Perron was available right now. I don't see players like Kulemin being available at all for 2nd round picks unless its a massive overpayment. Why would these other teams give up on players like that when they only make their team better. The blues needed to move somebody and that guy was Perron and we got good value from it and will reap the benefits from it. It's not the perfect player we were looking for but unless you want to keep looking for a player that will probably never be available, then we will have to settle for Perron who is still a big upgrade to the top 6. Most of you were so afraid to touch Clarkson but look at the value a player like that gets in this league. Paajarvi and a 2nd currently, will never be close to being a good enough package to land a big top 6 forward, much less a center.

Big no to Penner...

With regards to Paajarvi's 11 G in 72 GP I don't think that anyone is denying that Paajarvi has had one of the worst slumps seen in modern history (maybe I am exaggerating a bit).

But if goals in games played is the standard here we could go with 9 G in 42 GP for Paajarvi, or vs 10 G in 54 GP for Perron, in the most recent NHL games this season...

Anyway I don't think that is the point, it's more of trying to find a better fit for our 2nd line than to add offense which is fine with me.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Maggie
Playing with crap linemates, doesnt waste time dangling, great defeensive IQ, had chemistry with yaks when finally put to second line for last games.
NO PP TIME, 4ht and 3rd line TOI, 25th place team
9gs 7a -1

Perron
top 6 on playoff team. TOI and line mates worlds better than Maggie.
PP time comparison? if it were money... Perron is Bill Gates, Maggie is the bum i see trying to gather cigarette butts.
10 goals (WOW WHAT A GOAL SCOrer CAN YOU SAY SNIPER? WOWWWWW) Incredible numbers!!!!!!!!! top 6 position on a playoff team. WOWWOWOOWOWOWOW with one of the best defenses feeding him those outlets WOWOWOWOWOWOW

10 goals. WOW. 2 of which were cashed in that huge PP time . 15 a --4 of which cashed on man advantage.

I call it that Maggie wins. STL wins. Hitch wins and at a fraction of the cost...before even figuring in the asset they will get for that 2nd which will be very valuable during the season.

Oh and we added a 2nd. That is a depth centre/dman in the season.

WOW
STLOUIS got the man and Hitch was finally able to dump the rediculous cheapmans hemsky who tries hard but doesnt really win his battles. In my mind it doesnt matter if you hit if you are hitting out of position and losing your battles. In the offensive zone you also cant be taking gawdawful penalties.

Another hemsky...oh joy/
Wow this is a huge fail

HeavyHitter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
jebs

SO much overrating of Magnus...

Seems like a bunch of ppl are stuck on the fact he was a high pick and that means he has so much potential. High picks bust. He should be able to be an NHL player, but not a very good one.

Honestly the best part of the return for the Blues is the pick..

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Urg....David Staples sometimes....

Yesterday says the trade is a clear win. Then makes an "irrational" comparison to Patrick O'Sullivan.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:22 AM
mossy joe
keep it riel

imagine if david perron turned into the oilers patrick sharp?

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Oilception

vCash: 50
So What # does Perron wear?

Lander is 57 here, which is what he was wearing in St. Louis

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:26 AM
oilexport

It's a pretty even trade. We win right now but not by that much and MPS could score a lot more this year as we seen him start doing here. He's a stud that just needs to develop but he reminds me of Boyd Devereaux, may never reach his potential. The 2nd rounder could turn into a better player (or worse) then either of these guys so the jury is out for a while.

I will say that there was better assets that could have been traded (hemsky) that did not fit here but what the hell, we needed some change, got a very good player and did not mess with the core.

Mac-T did o.k.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote