HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confidence

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2004, 05:45 AM
  #1
coyote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Confidence

In the journal Raffi said it best. When your makeing plays and are not scared to make mistakes you are playing your best, it's confidence. To many players are playing scared so they are not playing up to their full potential. Mind you a few are allowed to make many mistakes while others are limited to one. This is not a benefit to the team concept of play. It divides the team.

coyote is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 06:33 AM
  #2
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
I think that is all about. The Oilers focus too much on defense, and they try not to make mistakes under MacT's eyes. I remember Glen Sather said to his young Oilers in 80's..."just go out there and have fun...". Sure the Oilers do not have fun right now, which hinder their creativity, confidence...They are so tense either on ice or off ice. Again, this has something to do with the coaching. I have said it before, not too many young players can flourish under MacT. I mentioned this regarding to Comrie, Brewer, Hemsky, Torres, Horcoff, Smyth... and many others.They are moulded into a rigid system that kills their talents. I bet that if those young Oilers now can be put in some other teams, they will thrive at best. I don't know if they will have chance to blossom in Edmonton under MacT's teaching.

xauxi is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 11:29 AM
  #3
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
I think that is all about. The Oilers focus too much on defense, and they try not to make mistakes under MacT's eyes. I remember Glen Sather said to his young Oilers in 80's..."just go out there and have fun...". Sure the Oilers do not have fun right now, which hinder their creativity, confidence...They are so tense either on ice or off ice. Again, this has something to do with the coaching. I have said it before, not too many young players can flourish under MacT. I mentioned this regarding to Comrie, Brewer, Hemsky, Torres, Horcoff, Smyth... and many others.They are moulded into a rigid system that kills their talents. I bet that if those young Oilers now can be put in some other teams, they will thrive at best. I don't know if they will have chance to blossom in Edmonton under MacT's teaching.
So, you are saying that Mac-T should just tap 5 guys on the shoulder and send them out saying "Have fun guys"...

Man...

Confidence isn't a system thing, it is a personal thing. Whether or not you are scared to make mistakes or not, you can still have confidence. Just like you can have no confidence if you are out there when you don't have to worry about mistakes.

The confidence the Oilers players have (or should I say don't have), is the ability to go out and make plays and succeed. They aren't scared of going out there and making a mistake and getting benched... they are scared of going out and making a play that costs their team the game.

Completely different things.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 11:53 AM
  #4
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Confidence isn't a system thing, it is a personal thing. Whether or not you are scared to make mistakes or not, you can still have confidence.

The confidence the Oilers players have (or should I say don't have), is the ability to go out and make plays and succeed. They aren't scared of going out there and making a mistake and getting benched... they are scared of going out and making a play that costs their team the game.

Completely different things.
I'm not so sure.

I am not a MacT basher but I will say that one thing I don't agree with is his way of picking favourites both to play and as whipping boys.

Part of the reason why is because of what it seems to do to the confidence of some players.

Cases in point are;

Chimera - sure he hasn't been producing but every time he makes a mistake he is on the bench and then next game in the press box. Last year was the same thing and he didn't get a chance to prove anything till the last 1/3 of the season.

Bergeron - Was the one guy that was putting up some consistent points on the back end. For a rookie he was doing excellent offensively. And yet macT couldn't "spoon feed" him ice time so he was demoted to Toronto.

Conversely look at Horcoff and Pisani. Neither of them have done what was expected of them this year. Both of them should have been eating popcorn in the press box for stretches this year but MacT loves these guys and won't sit them. These guys are playing like they aren't confident either but they don't have any reason to get better because they are comfortably in MacT's safety net.

I think confidence in the individual players can be (not always) directly attributed to the way the coaches handle them.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 07:11 PM
  #5
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Chimera - sure he hasn't been producing but every time he makes a mistake he is on the bench and then next game in the press box. Last year was the same thing and he didn't get a chance to prove anything till the last 1/3 of the season.
Unless I'm very mistaken, almost all of Chimera's scoring was done in the first half last year, and he really trailed off by the end, although he was great in the playoffs. Maybe it was conditioning, maybe confidence, but I didn't see him proving much at the end of last season. He was given a great chance on the second line to start the year, but did nothing with it. Starting to look like Cleary to me - hard worker, but can't seem to produce when it matters.

Allan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.