HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[WAS] Capitals re-sign Karl Alzner (4 years, $2.8M per)

Old
07-11-2013, 12:38 AM
jarmoismyhero

vCash: 500
I am not even sure how this is possible. His agent had to have made the first offer and Caps were like sure. I cannot imagine the Caps starting negotiations with a deal that low.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:42 AM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I guess I must be in the minority, but I don't think this is that much of an underpayment for Alzner. Sure he's great defensively, but he has virtually no offensive game to speak of and is coming off a 5 point season. One dimensional guys like that generally don't command big contracts as RFA.
While he doesn't get many points, he makes a great outlet pass and skates well. He is a real good top pairing defensive Dman and a great partner for Green or Carlson.

fashi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:07 AM
NewLife
what if doobie?

vCash: 50
Best deal from a teams standpoint during this off season.

NewLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:53 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
What a deal!!!

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Sam Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
That is probably the best contract in the NHL right now, just an amazing amazing steal.
I rip on GMGM as much as much as any Cap fan, but damn, this is ABSOLUTELY the best contract in the league.

Alzner needs a new agent, but not until he is about 38 years old.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Sam Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Can't say I'm too surprised by the contract. Nothing matters more than points in contract negotiations, even for defensemen, and Alzner has 44 points in 263 career games. There was no way he was getting the 4M some people here were expecting while posting 0.17 ppg.
If the Pens had a player like Alzner as opposed to the fantastic 'point' production of Kristopher Letang (7.25 per ) they would be a much better team overall.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Extra Texture
A new career

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
If the Pens had a player like Alzner as opposed to the fantastic 'point' production of Kristopher Letang (7.25 per ) they would be a much better team overall.
So you're talking random **** about Letang to a Caps fan.....who didnt even bring him up? Ohhhhkay

Not sure where that chip on your shoulder is coming from, but for the last time, Letang need got paid so damn much because he is a huge asset and the Pens cant afford to let him walk. Cant afford in terms of his importance to the team, or in terms of his value as a trading chip.

Alzner's contract is a steal like no other. The fact that he's gonna make less than half of what Green does is insane.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:41 AM
txpd

i am glad that non caps fans think this is such a steal. karl alzner is a one dimensional player of pure basic defense. while he can skate and has puck skills, he is forthright in his desire to steer clear of doing that. he doesn't hit. he chooses not to pass the puck beyond the safe play.

by any definition he is not a playmaker of any kind. he doesn't play offense in anyway. he only plays safe and basic defense. he is as textbook as there is at defending the puck, but that is what he brings.

plain facts are that salary level has a lot to do with playmaking. the offensive players make the most and the hitters make the next most. the solid two way player makes more. if chara were a defensive only player, he might be as good as rod langway was but he would likely make 50% of what he does now.

the caps are lucky to have alzner. he was worth the top 5 pick. but he will never be a player making big defenseman money

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
Alzner's contract is a steal like no other. The fact that he's gonna make less than half of what Green does is insane.
um...not at all. the capitals have $17m in annual salary cap tied up in two offensive forwards. they have a player who is arguably the best goal scorer in hockey. mike green, when healthy, is an elite defenseman of the kind required to start that offense from the defensive zone and to keep the the opposition from collapsing on the forwards when the caps are in the offensive zone.

in other words the caps are severely restricted without green and are turned loose with him. the reality of that is in the numbers when green is out of the lineup and Carlson, widely considered a pretty good offensive defenseman, is getting his minutes.

or...i could simply say that mike green has lead the nhl in goals by a defenseman three times in a short career. as his defense has improved with maturity which is normal for defensemen, he is also a far more well rounded player than in the past.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Absolute steal of a contract, wow.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
CanadianSharks

I saw that deal, and thought: "Jeez, Alzner must've really fallen off..." well, apparently not. STEAL!

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
That's Life

A few days ago every one clamored how the McDonagh deal was a steal. This deal makes that one look like ****.

I did it my way
--
Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Laus Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am glad that non caps fans think this is such a steal. karl alzner is a one dimensional player of pure basic defense. while he can skate and has puck skills, he is forthright in his desire to steer clear of doing that. he doesn't hit. he chooses not to pass the puck beyond the safe play.

by any definition he is not a playmaker of any kind. he doesn't play offense in anyway. he only plays safe and basic defense. he is as textbook as there is at defending the puck, but that is what he brings.

plain facts are that salary level has a lot to do with playmaking. the offensive players make the most and the hitters make the next most. the solid two way player makes more. if chara were a defensive only player, he might be as good as rod langway was but he would likely make 50% of what he does now.

the caps are lucky to have alzner. he was worth the top 5 pick. but he will never be a player making big defenseman money
Alzner had to mentor Carlson and coverup. 2013 short season is the first time he's actually played some games with someone older than him that he could learn from. Unless you count the 2 months with Jurcina.

This is a quote from someone who actually watches the caps and not spends his time at the track.

Quote:
Zoidberg Jesus
Why not Zoidberg?

Alzner spent the year playing alongside the league leader in turnovers, in front of decidedly average goaltending. He switched seamlessly from zone defense to man during the coaching change in the middle of the year. He faced the 7th highest quality of competition, the 9th highest relative corsi quality of competition, and had the 12th lowest offensive zone start percentage amongst NHL defensemen, and still had a GA ON/60 of just 2.02. For reference, the only other player with a higher quality of competition and a lower GA ON/60 was Ryan McDonagh. Then in the playoffs, he was the main biggest factor in shutting down the top line and powerplay of the Bruins (the 3rd highest scoring team in the regular season) and likewise holding the Rangers (11th highest scoring) to 15 goals in 7 games.

And right now he's losing to Dennis Seidenberg, who's spent his entire career as a second pairing defenseman, where he faced average competition with average zone starts and got average results, and then got moved up to play alongside the best defensive defenseman in the league during the playoffs. But hey, he hits more than Alzner, so he must be better!

Last edited by Laus Deo: 07-11-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: This was from last year a poll I think?
Laus Deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
That is probably the best contract in the NHL right now, just an amazing amazing steal.
McPhee must have had some pretty embarassing pictures of Alzner is all I can say

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Hutton
2014-20 RIP Canucks

I think Tavares' contract is the biggest steal, but this was a great deal

Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote