HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Erik Gustafsson, 1-year for $1m, one-way contract

Old
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your overrating the hell out of Mez, Mr. Overpaid 5th defender. I'd rather go with the 24 yr old 1 mil a year defender than the 27 yr old made-out-of-glass 4 mil a year defender. The past two seasons, we didnt struggle cause Mez didnt play. No need for him now.

You dont sit Gus a whole year just to play Mez for one season. Absolutely not fair to Gus who showed he can play in the NHL NOW. Your right, if they wanna play Mez, trade Gus. Let another team use him instead of letting him rot a season on the bench.
Who gives a crap if it's fair to Gus? It's whatLavy thinks is best for the team. Fully healthy, Meszaros is the better player, both offensively and physically.

Gus played well at the end of the year but if he has to start as the 7th D, and get in 30-40 games to cover injuries, oh well. It's not like the future of the franchise depends on his development.

With Kimmo due to retire and Meszaros' contract up, there's $10MM of cap space, which is what we'll use to pay for the raises for G, Couts, Schenn etc. We'll need him next year.

I still think it's more likely that Meszaros will get traded/waived because that will create more cap room to bring Gagne back, if that's Homer's plan. They have to balance what they will get out of trading Meszaros (if they waive him it's nothing) vs. the play they can get out of paying him to play one more year.

I'm not sure what they intend to do. It depends on whether they keep Laughton with the big club. If he forces his way into the lineup, there is no room for Gagne in the lineup, they can keep Mesz, and the D is stronger and deeper.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Talbot-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall
Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Meszaros
Gustafsson

Mason-Emery

I think the above is a better lineup than Gus in and Gervais as the 7th. There is really no room for Gagne if Laughton is on the team. If they send him back, then there is room for Gags at 3LW, pushing Talbot to a very tough 4th line with Zac and Hall.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Who gives a crap if it's fair to Gus? It's whatLavy thinks is best for the team. Fully healthy, Meszaros is the better player, both offensively and physically.

Gus played well at the end of the year but if he has to start as the 7th D, and get in 30-40 games to cover injuries, oh well. It's not like the future of the franchise depends on his development.
This is nonsense.

Meszaros played 11 games of absolute **** defense when he returned from injury, and then he went right back on the LTIR train. Gustafsson returned from injury, struggled a few games, and then went on to close the season while locking down over 20 minutes a night. Meszaros, at his peak this season, was playing just barely above 18 like total crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I think the above is a better lineup than Gus in and Gervais as the 7th. There is really no room for Gagne if Laughton is on the team. If they send him back, then there is room for Gags at 3LW, pushing Talbot to a very tough 4th line with Zac and Hall.
There's not a doubt in my mind that if both play this season, Gustafsson is the better defenseman than Meszaros.

Meszaros has 3 months to get back into a level of play that he hasn't been at in years. Gustafsson just keeps getting better and better.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
you don't sit a better player with the hopes of salvaging the value of another
Yup, thankfully management doesn't see it like that because that's how you lose games.

I don't care what we get in return for Mez at this point. I just Homer's able to trade him this summer to free up a spot on the defense & some cap space.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:57 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yup, thankfully management doesn't see it like that because that's how you lose games.

I don't care what we get in return for Mez at this point. I just Homer's able to trade him this summer to free up a spot on the defense & some cap space.

Agreed. It's also not like we're desperate for anything we'd get in return for Mez, I'd imagine a 2nd round pick is the absolute max if a team is really really desperate, but after that a third round pick or lower? While not to be scorned at, it isn't really likely to change the face of the organisation.

It's not like Gus is going to be playing top 4 this year if Mez goes anyway, we'd be asking him to do less (in all probability) that he was doing (and doing well) at the end of last season. Then if we free up cap we can invest that in one more winger which would give us 3 solid, competitive lines. Keeping Mez doesn’t make this defence any better, it makes it deeper. While that’s not a bad thing I’d rather have deeper forward lines and have to use other guys in the 7th D spot (and still have cap space).

Finally, when people say cap space doesn’t score goals, etc, at trade deadline it’s pretty important because it’s been banked and can get a better player if we need it... Does not having Mez mean we’re out of playoff contention by trade deadline? I don’t think so. Does it mean we could add a piece that could score goals, block shots, etc, probably.

Last edited by JoeFlyer: 07-11-2013 at 07:37 AM.
JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:12 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
This is nonsense.

Meszaros played 11 games of absolute **** defense when he returned from injury, and then he went right back on the LTIR train. Gustafsson returned from injury, struggled a few games, and then went on to close the season while locking down over 20 minutes a night. Meszaros, at his peak this season, was playing just barely above 18 like total crap.

There's not a doubt in my mind that if both play this season, Gustafsson is the better defenseman than Meszaros.

Meszaros has 3 months to get back into a level of play that he hasn't been at in years. Gustafsson just keeps getting better and better.
Let's not get carried away here. Gus has 60 games under his belt and in those 60 games he has not shown that he can consistently be a better player than Mez. He may turn out better than Mez eventually or Mez may decline to a point and Gus advance to a point, but at this point, if Mez is healthy (and not traded), he plays over Gus.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Mez can't be trusted to play a month of hockey and he's way overpriced as it is.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Mez can't be trusted to play a month of hockey and he's way overpriced as it is.
I agree on both counts. I think he's going to be traded. But if he isn't, I am not going to sit him becuase he might get injured or because he is overpriced. He's better than Gus when he's healthy. If he can play, he should play. If he gets hurt, then Gus can play. But I think in the end it won't matter because it seems like he is on the way out anyway.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree on both counts. I think he's going to be traded. But if he isn't, I am not going to sit him becuase he might get injured or because he is overpriced. He's better than Gus when he's healthy. If he can play, he should play. If he gets hurt, then Gus can play. But I think in the end it won't matter because it seems like he is on the way out anyway.
I don't think Gus is sitting in the pressbox if both are determined healthy. That's just my opinion.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I don't think Gus is sitting in the pressbox if both are determined healthy. That's just my opinion.
We shall see. I don't think it will even come up. I'd bet everything I own on Mez being traded once he is cleared to play.

Old
07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
We shall see. I don't think it will even come up. I'd bet everything I own on Mez being traded once he is cleared to play.
Agreed, this is most likely to happen. I don't think Holmgren will even put Laviolette in that position.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:21 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Let's not get carried away here. Gus has 60 games under his belt and in those 60 games he has not shown that he can consistently be a better player than Mez. He may turn out better than Mez eventually or Mez may decline to a point and Gus advance to a point, but at this point, if Mez is healthy (and not traded), he plays over Gus.
You're the one getting carried away.

In the last two years of hockey, Gustafsson has been a better player than Meszaros when they have suited up for the Flyers.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
You're the one getting carried away.

In the last two years of hockey, Gustafsson has been a better player than Meszaros when they have suited up for the Flyers.
I 100%, wholeheartedly disagree with you. Are you simply concerned about Mez's injuries or do you think that if both players are 100% healthy that Gus is actually better? If you do I would like to know what you are basing that on, because aside from thi spast 11 game, injury riddled season for Mez, he has been more productive and AT LEAST as good defensively as Gus has been, and Mez has done it for 500+ games...not 60 games where really only about half have been good.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
I 100%, wholeheartedly disagree with you. Are you simply concerned about Mez's injuries or do you think that if both players are 100% healthy that Gus is actually better? If you do I would like to know what you are basing that on, because aside from thi spast 11 game, injury riddled season for Mez, he has been more productive and AT LEAST as good defensively as Gus has been, and Mez has done it for 500+ games...not 60 games where really only about half have been good.
Problem is you can almost never really count Mesz as healthy, even when he's cleared this summer, the guy has barely played hockey in over a year. It'll probably take him months to get back to that level if he ever gets back there.

BTW, Mesz is 28 (or will be early in the year), no spring chicken back there.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Meszaros was supposedly 100% healthy in the first 11 games last year. He was terrible.

Meszaros literally has not been the same player he was since May 2011.

It was revealed he had an injury after that playoff run, and he literally has not been healthy since.

He's played 11 games in 2 calender years, and he did so at a very low level. So yes, in two calender years, Meszaros has not been a better player than Gustafsson. It's insane to consider him so now when he's not even going to be cleared to play for another month.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Meszaros was supposedly 100% healthy in the first 11 games last year. He was terrible.

Meszaros literally has not been the same player he was since May 2011.

It was revealed he had an injury after that playoff run, and he literally has not been healthy since.

He's played 11 games in 2 calender years, and he did so at a very low level. So yes, in two calender years, Meszaros has not been a better player than Gustafsson. It's insane to consider him so now when he's not even going to be cleared to play for another month.
So that doesn't really answer my question. Are you just concerend with his health status, or do you actually think Gus is a better player? Over the last two seasons Mez has played in more games, been more productive and overall has looked better than Gus. Yes, in his last 11 injury riddled games Mez did not look good. But over the last two years, Gus didn't look better. If we are just comparing last season, sure I'll go with that. Gus was better than Mez last year in both of their limited action. But I am certainly not going to write off Mez based on 11 games and hand over the spot to Gus based on 27 games. If Mez isn't healthy, obviously Gus gets the nod. But if they are both healthy it's Mez every day of the week. If he plays ******, then Gus gets in, but you don't put a better guy on the bench because he played poorly in 11 games the season before.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Hiesenberg

I think this team is better suited with Gus in the 3rd pairing than Mesz/Gross. Gus is a faster player and seems to have a better offensive side.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
So that doesn't really answer my question. Are you just concerend with his health status, or do you actually think Gus is a better player? Over the last two seasons Mez has played in more games, been more productive and overall has looked better than Gus. Yes, in his last 11 injury riddled games Mez did not look good. But over the last two years, Gus didn't look better. If we are just comparing last season, sure I'll go with that. Gus was better than Mez last year in both of their limited action. But I am certainly not going to write off Mez based on 11 games and hand over the spot to Gus based on 27 games. If Mez isn't healthy, obviously Gus gets the nod. But if they are both healthy it's Mez every day of the week. If he plays ******, then Gus gets in, but you don't put a better guy on the bench because he played poorly in 11 games the season before.
I believe that, right now, "100%" healthy, Gustafsson is the better player.

Meszaros has been out for basically two calender years. He's already demonstrated that he's not the quickest to return from injury. I think these injuries are the kind of thing that would have a lasting effect on Meszaros' play. If he even returns to his former self, how long will that take?

The answer to your question is that I don't think Meszaros' "100%" is the same level as his "100%" was two years ago. It doesn't matter if Meszaros was a better player than Gustafsson over two years ago because I consider Gustafsson to be a better player now. Maybe Meszaros rebounds and elevates his game back to his 2010-11 level, but until that point, I'm not counting on miracles. Meszaros, right now, 100% healthy or otherwise, is not as good a player as Gustafsson. It's going to take more than a summer to rebound from two straight calender years of injuries.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The difference between Mez and Gustafsson is EXTREMELY small, no matter how much one likes or hates Gustafsson. Stats 100% prove this. Mez is a good overpaid #5. Thats a 100% fact.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:15 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Problem is you can almost never really count Mesz as healthy, even when he's cleared this summer, the guy has barely played hockey in over a year. It'll probably take him months to get back to that level if he ever gets back there.

BTW, Mesz is 28 (or will be early in the year), no spring chicken back there.
He is old, time to retire.

I like the Gus is signed but if a choice comes down to Mez or Gus, you go with Mez.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

I like the Gus is signed but if a choice comes down to Mez or Gus, you go with Mez.
28 isn't old at all, not my point, but he's not 22 recovering from these injuries, he's knocking on the door of 30 while missing basically 2 whole season.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

Why though? Will the difference in play between Gustaffson and Meszaros be really that detrimental for the Flyers?

Honestly, I dont think we are talking about this in a few weeks. Fairly confident Mez is on his way out once he is proven he is healthy and CAN be traded.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Why though? Will the difference in play between Gustaffson and Meszaros be really that detrimental for the Flyers?

Honestly, I dont think we are talking about this in a few weeks. Fairly confident Mez is on his way out once he is proven he is healthy and CAN be traded.
I too see Mez going somewhere else. I think Mez's shot and his exp would tip the scale in his direction. Mez battles hard out there, while I don't see Gus doing that. He can also be used on the PP.

I don't think ANY bottom pairing D will be detrimental for the Flyers. Where most think both will be slotted this year. I wouldn't mind Mez being traded for the proven 3rd line LW who is under contract for 4 years with 2-3 mil aav.... where is that. HA!

edit: while Gus played 20 or so min a game, he performed fine. I think Mez is better tho. All opinion at the end of the day. I think it's a good sit. for us to be in (minus the cap hit due to the log jam of the Top 4)

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I believe that, right now, "100%" healthy, Gustafsson is the better player.

Meszaros has been out for basically two calender years. He's already demonstrated that he's not the quickest to return from injury. I think these injuries are the kind of thing that would have a lasting effect on Meszaros' play. If he even returns to his former self, how long will that take?

The answer to your question is that I don't think Meszaros' "100%" is the same level as his "100%" was two years ago. It doesn't matter if Meszaros was a better player than Gustafsson over two years ago because I consider Gustafsson to be a better player now. Maybe Meszaros rebounds and elevates his game back to his 2010-11 level, but until that point, I'm not counting on miracles. Meszaros, right now, 100% healthy or otherwise, is not as good a player as Gustafsson. It's going to take more than a summer to rebound from two straight calender years of injuries.
I don't know, I think Gus is overrated here. If Mez is healthy I think he's better. I'm not going to write him off after 11 games and hand the spot over to a guy who hasn't even played the equivalent of a full season (and hasn't looked good the entire time). At times Gus has looked good, other times he has struggled. An inconsistent 60 game stretch vs. a bad 11 games is not really a great basis for making a decision IMO.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Actually, he was only healthy for the first three games, then got injured in the 4th game against the Rangers. Then when he came back he was terrible.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I easily take Gus at his cap hit over Mez at his. He hasn't lived up to that cap hit for most of his time here.

Edit: and Gus has shown recently that he can take over Mez's role, with more room for possible development and improvement.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote