HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Old
07-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
imagine if david perron turned into the oilers patrick sharp?
David Perron has a long ways to go defensively before becoming Patrick Sharp...

Trafalgar Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Sdeol44

Prv doesn't even have a 0.5 ppg average, and he doesn't make up for lack of production with physical play. We got a nice upgrade in perron, our top 6 is looking sick. It seems like a lot of people out there are still under the illusion that good players can be added without giving something of value back. on another note.. i pumped to see perron with this top 6.. it is going to be fun.

Sdeol44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
David Perron has a long ways to go defensively before becoming Patrick Sharp...
not saying he is patrick sharp... more of a question for anyone who knows.. but wasn't Perron killing penalties in stl?

Old
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
not saying he is patrick sharp... more of a question for anyone who knows.. but wasn't Perron killing penalties in stl?
He does it all. He isn't overly physical but definitely gritty, and will retrieve pucks for whoever else he plays with. His shot is a cannon and his hands are magic. He is a huge upgrade over MPS and now we certainly have one of if not the best top 6's on paper in the league.

Now let's sign Boyes.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
He does it all. He isn't overly physical but definitely gritty, and will retrieve pucks for whoever else he plays with. His shot is a cannon and his hands are magic. He is a huge upgrade over MPS and now we certainly have one of if not the best top 6's on paper in the league.

Now let's sign Boyes.
yeah i am pumped .. loving our top 6 right now. Still hoping we can add size on the 3rd line...and i know this isn't allowed but the moves that have been made so far i am liking.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

So this is what it feels like to be a Flyers fan! Having a GM with the stones to take some risk is definitely a throwback feeling to the Glen Sather and early Klowe days.

I really like the deal, well done MacT

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
duul

My realistic ideal forward group going into this season:

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Morrow-HEMSKYTRADE-Jones

4th line is a conglomerate of whatever remains with all our players. One signing in Morrow but can easily be replaced with Penner/Latendresse/Boyes, anything somewhat physical LW.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
SO much overrating of Magnus...

Seems like a bunch of ppl are stuck on the fact he was a high pick and that means he has so much potential. High picks bust. He should be able to be an NHL player, but not a very good one.

Honestly the best part of the return for the Blues is the pick..
I bet you are wrong... But I won't remember to call you out on it in 1-2 years soooo .... Nothing.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Smid or Petry for bottom 6 guys? That would never happen.
If defensemen are easier to come by for us then I could easily see a guy like Smid moved for high end 3rd line players.

On LD we have Smid, Ference, N. Schultz, Klefbom, and Marincin.

If management is really high on Klefbom's ability to step right in, something has to give. Smid has more value than N. Schultz.

07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
not sure where you got your information but it is clearly wrong. In his last 9 games, he had 4 assists and 1 goal playing with the highest quality offensive linemates available. Lets look at his points

1) vs Min - goal, Yak does all the work, gagner crashes the net, Maggie swipes in the loose puck

2) vs Col - 2 assists - Justin Shultz and eberle scores goals, Maggie gets 2nd assists

3) vs Van - 2 assists - last game of the season, meaningless to Canucks, Yakupov scores both goals, Maggie gets 1 primary and one secondary assist.

go to nhl.com and check the highlights. Maggie was a complementary player to some skilled linemates. That isn't a bad thing but Perron will easily be able to outperform him.

edit - I just checked the highlights. Maggie had one point last year where he wasn't on the ice with Gagner or eberle. That goal was a one hand on stick deflection of a Ryan Smyth gift.
Excellent post and thanks for taking the time to break it down. I was going to do something along those lines if I had the time. They keypoint here is that Paajarvi isn't driving the results and Perron can. But more that Perron isn't shy of the play, will be involved, in high traffic areas and will complement the game of Yak and Gagner more.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@andystrickland
Former #stlblues and #Oilers D-man Eric Brewer tells David Perron he'll love playing in Edmonton

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post

Now let's sign Boyes.
Our team has enough softness.

Trafalgar Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:02 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If defensemen are easier to come by for us then I could easily see a guy like Smid moved for high end 3rd line players.

On LD we have Smid, Ference, N. Schultz, Klefbom, and Marincin.

If management is really high on Klefbom's ability to step right in, something has to give. Smid has more value than N. Schultz.
If the Oilers dealt Smid for a 3rd liner, MacT deserves to be fired on the spot.
I'm not even a big Smid fan, i think he's a bit overrated but trading a top 4 Dman for a 3rd liner is a big step backwards.
Yes, Klefbom and eventually Nurse and Marincin are waiting in the wings but that doesn't make Smid expendable.
You trade players like N. Schultz for 3rd liners, not Smid.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:04 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@andystrickland
Former #stlblues and #Oilers D-man Eric Brewer tells David Perron he'll love playing in Edmonton

I had to reread that a couple of times.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I bet you are wrong... But I won't remember to call you out on it in 1-2 years soooo .... Nothing.
Maybe you are right .. but to date no ignoring maggie has not done much

NHL : 163 gp 26 g 32 a 58 pts 64 hits, that is 0.36 ppg production rate.
Ahl production : 45 pts in 72 games with a 5.91 shooting %. 0 -/+

He does not produce. He does not make up for lack of production with physical play. Perron has more hits in 1 season then maggie does his career. I get he is 22 , and he can improve, but we didn't add a 32 year old. Perron is 25 .

Old
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If the Oilers dealt Smid for a 3rd liner, MacT deserves to be fired on the spot.
I'm not even a big Smid fan, i think he's a bit overrated but trading a top 4 Dman for a 3rd liner is a big step backwards.
Yes, Klefbom and eventually Nurse and Marincin are waiting in the wings but that doesn't make Smid expendable.
You trade players like N. Schultz for 3rd liners, not Smid.
You deal from a position of strength to fill weaknesses. I'd sooner move N. Schultz too, but that would depend on what the other team wants for their players.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

[

I am not saying they are comparable really but what you bring up right there is exactly what Paajarvi started to do (and with some success) this year. Let's keep it real, he was traded because we are not sure that he can fill the shoes of a 2nd line LW, Perron can. Personally I don't like the trade, but I understand why it was done.
One of the things that strikes me immediately about the batted it in clip is the horrible coverage. This is the Avalanche. Omark could expose a team that bad defensively. MPS has time to not only beat the D like a rented mule he doesn't score on first shot and has time to bat in the rebound. The amount of times this should be able to occur in the NHL approaches zero.
Conversely on the Perron goals in tight he's beating guy wide(this part is similar) but he's finishing with speed and on other goals around very in tight traffic.

Can't be stated enough times either that years into his NHL career Paajarvi has only 26 goals.
The Paajarvi goals as such do have a ring of every dog has its day to it. He's never been considered a prolific goal scorer at any stage of his career. I doubt it happens now.

Its funny how Paajarvi can score a goal infrequently and everybody remembers the plays and this somehow signifying some unrealized hands. The more objective view is that this is not in any way a confident offensive performer. This is a guy that only occasionally feels good about his offensive game.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You deal from a position of strength to fill weaknesses. I'd sooner move N. Schultz too, but that would depend on what the other team wants for their players.
Sure, but there is no part of the Oilers defense that is currently an area of strength.
Yes, the pipeline is filled with high level LHD but none of those guys are ready to replace what Smid currently brings to the team.
You can't replace Smid with a rookie and hope to get positive results this season.
Also, just because you're dealing from an area of strength doesn't mean that you deal that player for lesser value. That's not good asset management.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Crabapple

I just hope David comes in with a great work ethic and really meshes with the team. How long has it been since a guy came in here via trade and exceeds expectations? I think we're due. I watch the Blues quite a bit and I like what Perron will bring to the oilers. I think he can be a Burrows type player for us

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One of the things that strikes me immediately in that clip is the horrible coverage. This is the Avalanche. Omark could expose a team that bad defensively. MPS has time to not only beat the D like a rented mule he doesn't score on first shot and has time to bat in the rebound. The amount of times this should be able to occur in the NHL approaches zero.
Conversely on the Perron goals in tight he's beating guy wide(this part is similar) but he's finishing with speed and on other goals around very in tight traffic.

Can't be stated enough times either that years into his NHL career Paajarvi has only 26 goals.
The Paajarvi goals as such do have a ring of every dog has its day to it. He's never been considered a prolific goal scorer at any stage of his career. I doubt it happens now.

Its funny how Paajarvi can score a goal infrequently and everybody remembers the plays and this somehow signifying some unrealized hands. The more objective view is that this is not in any way a confident offensive performer. This is a guy that only occasionally feels good about his offensive game.

Exactly his lack of AHL production and low shooting percentage is proof of that.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

The only reason I can think of that people wouldn't like this trade is that they are content with perpetual rebuilding.

Right now Perron>MPS, and it's not very close at all.
Over their entire careers, Perron>MPS, and it wasn't very close.
Looking to the future we have one guy (Perron) who's shown he can play a top 6 role effectively and should continue to do so, and we have another guy (MPS) who we all think might have the potential, but has yet to do jack **** with it regardless of how wonderful his attitude is.

We've spent the last few years banking on potential. It's time for some god damn results.

I loved MPS just like the rest of you guys, but he's don'e nothing to justify his draft position and it's time for the patient rebuilding to stop. Some people are acting like Perron is just a quick fix upgrade, but really we have him for at least 3 more years minimum by which time we should already be a competitive team, not one that's waiting for high picks to pan out.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:21 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Anyone know the status of Bergenheim?

There was that issue with him and FLA with him getting injuried during the lockout. Wonder if he's available?

Seems like the perfect 3LW to replace PRV. And yes I know he's 5'10.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:25 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
The only reason I can think of that people wouldn't like this trade is that they are content with perpetual rebuilding.

Right now Perron>MPS, and it's not very close at all.
Over their entire careers, Perron>MPS, and it wasn't very close.
Looking to the future we have one guy (Perron) who's shown he can play a top 6 role effectively and should continue to do so, and we have another guy (MPS) who we all think might have the potential, but has yet to do jack **** with it regardless of how wonderful his attitude is.

We've spent the last few years banking on potential. It's time for some god damn results.

I loved MPS just like the rest of you guys, but he's don'e nothing to justify his draft position and it's time for the patient rebuilding to stop. Some people are acting like Perron is just a quick fix upgrade, but really we have him for at least 3 more years minimum by which time we should already be a competitive team, not one that's waiting for high picks to pan out.
This is exactly it and 100% true.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
I just hope David comes in with a great work ethic and really meshes with the team. How long has it been since a guy came in here via trade and exceeds expectations? I think we're due. I watch the Blues quite a bit and I like what Perron will bring to the oilers. I think he can be a Burrows type player for us
I think we'll see just this with Perron. What the Oilers offer is some decent offensive depth, he'll get a lot of spots (or most) not facing top pairing D, he'll have good offensive linemates, and more of a greenlight here to pressure up high or look for the breakout pass. What gets lost in the transition is that the Oilers really do this a lot. Even guys like Jones here have scored many more goals than anywhere else. We actually make a lot of breakout transition plays and score a fair amount of our goals that way. Perron is a talented quick strike guy. Hands like Hemsky with better brains and more consistency is a way to look at it. Perron, much more than Hemsky, is going to make defenders have to make a play on him more often than not. The Perennial knock on Hemsky on a rush is he tries to do 3 cute things at once and blows his own tire on the rush.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:27 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I think we'll see just this with Perron. What the Oilers offer is some decent offensive depth, he'll get a lot of spots (or most) not facing top pairing D, he'll have good offensive linemates, and more of a greenlight here to pressure up high or look for the breakout pass. What gets lost in the transition is that the Oilers really do this a lot. Even guys like Jones here have scored many more goals than anywhere else. We actually make a lot of breakout transition plays and score a fair amount of our goals that way. Perron is a talented quick strike guy. Hands like Hemsky with better brains and more consistency is a way to look at it. Perron, much more than Hemsky, is going to make defenders have to make a play on him more often than not. The Perennial knock on Hemsky on a rush is he tries to do 3 cute things at once and blows his own tire on the rush.
I'm confused, Replacement is happy with something the Oilers management did? Surely I am dreaming.