HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power centers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
  #26
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Still think that'll be Lindberg's job.

I think Miller struggles a bit in the middle. When you ease up on the two-way responsibility, you start to see him take a more active role from shift to shift. Just my take on things, and I seem to be alone in that regard.
Do you think Lindberg (and Miller for that matter) make a tangible impact on this upcoming season? Rangers look pretty set at center, especially with retaining Richards and signing Moore.

Don't ask me out of those centers who is suited at all for 3rd liner responsibilities - but those are just silly little details in Sather's world.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:52 PM
  #27
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The fan's of Dubinsky and Prust still longing.

Irrational to think the team would be better off without Nash. We need a player like him and we can't seem to draft anything close.

The organization is thin when it comes to players who initiate physically at every position, isn't that the real issue? 'Physical elements' that never seem to be fully realized by this organization. Collectively I think fans ask too much of guys like Cally who will burn out fast without having some let up over a full season.

They drafted Mcilrath, but even he is one player, no really, he is.
You mean the same Dubinsky that half the fanbase was ready to bus out of town for the first available offer?

This fanbase suffers from a chronic case of grassisalwaysgreeneritis. That's the irony of it all. If Brian Boyle was a Buffalo Sabre we'd see proposals every other day trying to bring him to NY because he's a big center capable of winning draws and playing the PK. Instead, he's a soft idiot who sucks and needs to be flown to Guantanamo.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
  #28
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Still think that'll be Lindberg's job.

I think Miller struggles a bit in the middle. When you ease up on the two-way responsibility, you start to see him take a more active role from shift to shift. Just my take on things, and I seem to be alone in that regard.
No I totally get him as a Winger too. I can see him as a Winger early on, LW is a big question mark. He could get thrust into the Center role if we're thin. And some may like the depth but as of right now, after Stepan, the depth of quality Pro centers remains to be seen.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:59 PM
  #29
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
You mean the same Dubinsky that half the fanbase was ready to bus out of town for the first available offer?

This fanbase suffers from a chronic case of grassisalwaysgreeneritis. That's the irony of it all. If Brian Boyle was a Buffalo Sabre we'd see proposals every other day trying to bring him to NY because he's a big center capable of winning draws and playing the PK. Instead, he's a soft idiot who sucks and needs to be flown to Guantanamo.
Yeah, and some still question Henrik.

Sick people

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  #30
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 50
Dubinsky played wing more than anything else. He's the only one that could even be considered a power forward of those players. Boyle can't fight, and Rupp was just an enforcer. I don't think anisimov ever got into a fight.

Yes I'm talking about the old school, true definition of power forward. Power forwards fight and score. I don't care how hard you shove or hit or talk crap or whatever, you're not a power forward unless you fight.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:05 PM
  #31
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Great idea. Let's take away his biggest asset - speed - just so we can say we have a tall center.
I didn't say do it; I implied here and have previously said it is an experiment we can have on open mind about.

I am more confident than ever about his speed/skating prowess. What is a pleasant surprise is the upside of his shot. We may well be best off with him at W, long term. No harm to do a few shifts with speedy Ws like Hags + Cally.

If he is that much faster than most, not maxing his speed initially to put him at pivot is something he may overcome.

Again, Davey Keon comes to mind as a C with individual ability but enough super speed compared to most.

And Crease, I believe it was you who were kind enough on the greatest Rangers D thread to post something about what players said of each other circa '71. If I remember, Keon was only behind Orr in speed/skating. That parallel would apply here if Kreider were tested there.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  #32
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I didn't say do it; I implied here and have previously said it is an experiment we can have on open mind about.

I am more confident than ever about his speed/skating prowess. What is a pleasant surprise is the upside of his shot. We may well be best off with him at W, long term. No harm to do a few shifts with speedy Ws like Hags + Cally.

If he is that much faster than most, not maxing his speed initially to put him at pivot is something he may overcome.

Again, Davey Keon comes to mind as a C with individual ability but enough super speed compared to most.

And Crease, I believe it was you who were kind enough on the greatest Rangers D thread to post something about what players said of each other circa '71. If I remember, Keon was only behind Orr in speed/skating. That parallel would apply here if Kreider were tested there.
Hi bern. It was the 1971 Coaches Poll, but otherwise you are correct. Good memory.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
  #33
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you think Lindberg (and Miller for that matter) make a tangible impact on this upcoming season? Rangers look pretty set at center, especially with retaining Richards and signing Moore.

Don't ask me out of those centers who is suited at all for 3rd liner responsibilities - but those are just silly little details in Sather's world.
Tangible? Sure. Signficant? Probably a stretch. Lindberg is a complete player who had a fantastic season in arguably the second best league in the world. He didn't look the least bit out of place in the WC either. I honestly think he's much closer to NHL ready than most will give him credit for.

Ultimately I think it boils down to how AV wants to configure the lineup. If he wants to role his usual group of scoring/scoring/checking/energy lines, then Lindberg between Callahan and Hagelin might make a fair amount of sense. No other center, aside from Stepan, would make sense in that spot, IMO, and I'd rather not see Stepan in a checking line role.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:39 PM
  #34
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No I totally get him as a Winger too. I can see him as a Winger early on, LW is a big question mark. He could get thrust into the Center role if we're thin. And some may like the depth but as of right now, after Stepan, the depth of quality Pro centers remains to be seen.
Yeah I could see him playing there in a pinch, but I'd be shocked to see him really solidify himself as a scoring line center. Maybe a checking line, but it seems to be one or the other with him.

I've really liked Brassard's game for a long time. I'm hopeful he can solidify himself as a 2nd line center.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:45 PM
  #35
Blue Seat Spartan
Registered User
 
Blue Seat Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Power centers don't just grow on trees. Sure, we'd like to have a Messier, Lindros, Lemieux, etc. to anchor the offense and dominate games, but we don't have that sort of luxury.

As the situation stands - and if Richards returns to form - our center depth atm is: 1. Richards, 2A. Stepan, 2B. Brassard, 3./4. D. Moore, and Lindberg, JT Miller filling out as the most likely call-ups.

Hopefully AV has enough sense to roll four lines on a consistent basis instead of reverting to the early 90s tactic of shortening the bench, a la Torts, which cost the Rangers a chance to advance to the 2012 Stanley Cup Final, and led to the post-defeat mutiny of the locker room after succumbing to the Bruins this year.

If things go as planned, who will Vigneault use for his primary checking center to match up against the opposing team's top line?

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
  #36
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Hi bern. It was the 1971 Coaches Poll, but otherwise you are correct. Good memory.
Thanks Crease, I again all that fine work you supervised with those two threads on some of our greatest evah!

I don't always get em all right all the time, but I do try.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
  #37
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
Power centers don't just grow on trees. Sure, we'd like to have a Messier, Lindros, Lemieux, etc. to anchor the offense and dominate games, but we don't have that sort of luxury.

As the situation stands - and if Richards returns to form - our center depth atm is: 1. Richards, 2A. Stepan, 2B. Brassard, 3./4. D. Moore, and Lindberg, JT Miller filling out as the most likely call-ups.

Hopefully AV has enough sense to roll four lines on a consistent basis instead of reverting to the early 90s tactic of shortening the bench, a la Torts, which cost the Rangers a chance to advance to the 2012 Stanley Cup Final, and led to the post-defeat mutiny of the locker room after succumbing to the Bruins this year.

If things go as planned, who will Vigneault use for his primary checking center to match up against the opposing team's top line?
1, have to give to get, was willing to gamble McD --- a painful sacrifice --- on thought he might evolve into Tavares/+, but Col said no. Like you say, they don't grow on trees.

2 I am not optimistic Richards returns to good enough form. Whatever he provides is outside the scope of our regular C corp. Worst case scenario, forced to bury him at AHL til amnesty kicks in again.

Barring trade/injury:
1c Stepan modest, continued improvement
2c Brassard modest continued improvement
3c(a) Miller big improvement, better system, speedy Ws.
3c(b)Lindberg has skills to be here as rookie eventually bumps Miller to LW unless there is a trade
4 Moore established defensive C

5 Boyle is the variable/depth/injury insurance if one is out. Unless he is traded.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
  #38
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Tangible? Sure. Signficant? Probably a stretch. Lindberg is a complete player who had a fantastic season in arguably the second best league in the world. He didn't look the least bit out of place in the WC either. I honestly think he's much closer to NHL ready than most will give him credit for.

Ultimately I think it boils down to how AV wants to configure the lineup. If he wants to role his usual group of scoring/scoring/checking/energy lines, then Lindberg between Callahan and Hagelin might make a fair amount of sense. No other center, aside from Stepan, would make sense in that spot, IMO, and I'd rather not see Stepan in a checking line role.
I do like the sound of that line. Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough wingers to relegate Hagelin and Callahan down to the 3rd line

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
  #39
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples
 
someone stole hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
who needs power centers when we have power wingers

someone stole hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
  #40
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I do like the sound of that line. Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough wingers to relegate Hagelin and Callahan down to the 3rd line
If Zucc isn't retained, you could move Richards to the wing and have him play on a line with Brassard and Pouliot or Kreider. Might actually benefit Richards quite a bit.

Kreider/Pouliot - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot/Kreider - Brassard - Richards
Hagelin - OL - Callahan
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

I mean, if they're really trying to leave the opportunity for kids to make the roster then they have to be willing to move someone to the wing who is a center. Otherwise it means that our centers are locked down and a kid isn't going to win that spot out of camp.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
  #41
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Zucc isn't retained, you could move Richards to the wing and have him play on a line with Brassard and Pouliot or Kreider. Might actually benefit Richards quite a bit.

Kreider/Pouliot - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot/Kreider - Brassard - Richards
Hagelin - OL - Callahan
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

I mean, if they're really trying to leave the opportunity for kids to make the roster then they have to be willing to move someone to the wing who is a center. Otherwise it means that our centers are locked down and a kid isn't going to win that spot out of camp.
Agree moving Richards creates spots for our guys.
Assuming they produce at camp, that's the plan.
Nobody should be shortchanged because of *))_)&%%@# Richards.

That said, he's lucky if he beats out Dorsett in the above.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
  #42
Blue Seat Spartan
Registered User
 
Blue Seat Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
1, have to give to get, was willing to gamble McD --- a painful sacrifice --- on thought he might evolve into Tavares/+, but Col said no. Like you say, they don't grow on trees.

2 I am not optimistic Richards returns to good enough form. Whatever he provides is outside the scope of our regular C corp. Worst case scenario, forced to bury him at AHL til amnesty kicks in again.

Barring trade/injury:
1c Stepan modest, continued improvement
2c Brassard modest continued improvement
3c(a) Miller big improvement, better system, speedy Ws.
3c(b)Lindberg has skills to be here as rookie eventually bumps Miller to LW unless there is a trade
4 Moore established defensive C

5 Boyle is the variable/depth/injury insurance if one is out. Unless he is traded.
I have to agree with you on trading a D-man if the Rangers need to find THAT franchise player for the first line center position. I did forget the important variable that is Brad Richards - a very big "IF - to return to training camp in the best possible condition. He might very well have a precipitous decline like previous free agent acquisitions, in which case we'd have depth but no top end linchpin for our offense.

Inevitably the Rangers WILL HAVE TO part with one of their left-handed defensemen. I'd see it as a toss-up between McDonagh and Del Zotto of who gets sent packing in a trade for a 1C. MDZ seems to be the odd man out in our defense corps. Unlike Mac Truck or John Moore, MDZ has only above average skating ability and speed which would hamper the overall mobility of the pairings. This, combined with his acute brain farts on the ice during games would adversely affect the Rangers' breakouts in spite of his supposedly superb outlet passes to initiate the attack.

I find McD as more appealing to keep because he has such great skating ability to join the rush, pinch, or get back into defensive posture in case of breakdowns. Plus, he has more potential to generate offense. I'd like to see the coaching staff (Ulfie, Arniel, and maybe Newell Brown) work with Mac Truck & Moore on initiating rushes up the ice. While MDZ is our best puck-moving defenseman at the moment, McD has the greater potential to be a PUCK-RUSHING-DEFENSEMAN that hasn't been seen since the days of Leetch, Coffey, or Ozolinsh during the mid 1990s; one who can start rushes up the ice and finish them with a goal. Maybe Sather wakes up and realizes he could have an Edmonton-style of rush/transition/forecheck game for the new millennium +decade NHL.

That's why I'm leaning on Del Zotto as trade bait for a top line power center since we have a glut of left-landed left side defensemen. But who is the best power center at the moment? I'd like to say it's Ryan Getzlaf in ANH, but I'm not sure if the Ducks will bite on a trade - unless, the Rangers throw a first round draft pick into the package.

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.