HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Bertuzzi

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
So the kid wasn't that big of a reach, after all. GM projected him to go in the third round, guy who claims to have independent scouting service, best forward in the playoffs, managed to piss of Jensen who averaged 12 PMs for his college career.

He may not pan out, but if Wings crew wanted him, seems like they had to take him there.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:30 PM
DetroitRed
Crashes the Crease

vCash: 500
If they wanted to put "a player like that" in their "mix of prospects," fine, but I question doing so with the 58th pick in the draft. They got who they wanted with their first two picks, but basically nullified half of the advantage of swapping their first-round pick position by picking Bertuzzi when they did.

For example, if they had waited to grab Bertuzzi until the 4th or 5th rounds, which still is probably ahead of where he might normally be picked, they could have selected a guy like 6' 3" LW Zachary Sanford, instead. Or what about 6' 5" defender Jonathan-Ismael Diaby?

If they had done a move like those instead, picking a guy who was more appropriate to the second-round, even if they missed out on Bertuzzi, wouldn't it have still been a positive?

To miss out on Bertuzzi in the 5th to 7th round, okay, now you've lost something. But picking Bertuzzi in the second-round with guys like Diaby and Sanford still floating around seems a little like a loss in itself.

Last edited by DetroitRed: 07-10-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRed View Post
They basically nullified half of the advantage of swapping their first-round pick position by picking Bertuzzi when they did.
This is a tired argument. There has been some pretty believable speculation that Bertuzzi was going to be picked as early as the 3rd round (and before the Wings picked again). The Wings said it, some guy who is probably a family member said it, and now his GM at Guelph has said it.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
This is a tired argument. There has been some pretty believable speculation that Bertuzzi was going to be picked as early as the 3rd round (and before the Wings picked again). The Wings said it, some guy who is probably a family member said it, and now his GM at Guelph has said it.
They knew that Jim Nill was after him with Dallas 3rd round pick.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
DetroitRed
Crashes the Crease

Quote:
Well, I'll confess, it seems like I've read your argument somewhere already as well. And tired as my argument might seem to you, there is an aspect of it that you are not addressing. That's probably why it wont go away; it's unanswered.

Even assuming Bertuzzi might have gone in the 3rd-round, the Wings still could have used that pick to get a guy who was supposed to go in the 2nd-round, instead.

Maybe neither way works out, maybe both ways do, but picking a 2nd-round type of guy in the second-round is still more sensible than picking a 3rd-rounder in the second-round, and that's what people are really saying.

Old
07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Yeah, five teams had secondary meetings with him. Bertuzzi wasn't making it out of the third round.

I think the real question is who is more likely to get nabbed first Tyler Bertuzzi or Janmark-Nylen (Is it true he dropped the second part, so I can just stop using it?) and the Wings brass felt Bertuzzi probably wouldn't slip. I think they were targeting those two players regardless.

It's over, it's done with people, start rooting like hell he rounds into an absolute terror. It's not like Wings fans don't love those players, now we have a legitimate one to root for not one we are stretching into that role that isn't suited for it like our current best "pest" prospect player, who might make it as hockey player but is far from a super-pest or legitimate fighter.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 07-10-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Janmark-Nylen (Is it true he dropped the second part, so I can just stop using it?)
I noticed that SEL announcers don't call him Janmark-Nylen, but rather just Janmark. and I know one of the Swedish posters here said as much. So... probably?

Old
07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Nut Upstrom
JIMMY GO GANGBUSTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Kinda sorta get the vibe of a friend/relative more so than a scout, though. Why would a scout sound so personally invested in promoting a random player?But,who the hell knows?
Someone needs to watch Jerry Maguire again.
This guy might just be Tyler Bertuzzi's ambassador of kwan.

Old
07-10-2013, 05:09 PM
newfy

Quote:
Well, I'll confess, it seems like I've read your argument somewhere already as well. And tired as my argument might seem to you, there is an aspect of it that you are not addressing. That's probably why it wont go away; it's unanswered.

Even assuming Bertuzzi might have gone in the 3rd-round, the Wings still could have used that pick to get a guy who was supposed to go in the 2nd-round, instead.

Maybe neither way works out, maybe both ways do, but picking a 2nd-round type of guy in the second-round is still more sensible than picking a 3rd-rounder in the second-round, and that's what people are really saying.
He was probably roughly a third round prospect, are people actually going to still complain about picking him 2 picks before the third round started? The wings got a guy they were targetting maybe 15 picks before he should have went according to his coach after already getting the guy they wanted in the first round and the extra pick. The staff were laughing after these three rounds were done ebcause they got guys they wanted

The wings picked Smith a round too early when he was drafted and hes doing alright for himself. The fact of the matter is, teams reach a bit all the time because not everyones draft board is the same. The Guelph coach said he wagered third round. The guy was picked 2 picks before the third round started, the fact that people are still going on about this is pretty weak

Quote:
I expect that of Bertuzzi, but it looks like Jensen might be a bit tougher than I thought. Although it sounds like Bertuzzi probably beat him up a bit, too.

edit: Jensen had 36 total PIM in his entire college career, so maybe we're just talking about Bertuzzi's agitation skills at work here.
I dunno. Jensen is a big hitter and had 3 fights one year in the USHL which has less fighting and he was one of his teams top dmen. As a young kid thats a decent amount. He had three the next season as well. I dont think he'll ever be a goon or heavyweight but I'm sure hes the type that will stick up for a goalie and maybe see a few years with 5 or so fights

Last edited by newfy: 07-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old
07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Henkka

Quote:
I noticed that SEL announcers don't call him Janmark-Nylen, but rather just Janmark. and I know one of the Swedish posters here said as much. So... probably?
Hate those swedish double names that have become common at early 90's.

Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson is only Pääjärvi nowadays. I hope Janmark also gets rid of that Nylen -part. In a good way.

It would be horrible to have a line: Pääjärvi-Svensson-Janmark-Nylen-Pettersson-Wentzel

Old
07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
picking a 2nd-round type of guy in the second-round is still more sensible than picking a 3rd-rounder in the second-round, and that's what people are really saying.
But we're talking about the very end of the second round. Surely you're not saying that Bertuzzi was inappropriate value for #58, but appropriate value for #60... are you?

If you don't like the pick because you don't think he'll be a good player, that's a perfectly good opinion to have. But the Wings had to take him where they did if they wanted to draft him. If they didn't, he'd probably be either a Dallas Star or a New York Ranger right now.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Hate those swedish double names that have become common at early 90's.

Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson is only Pääjärvi nowadays. I hope Janmark also gets rid of that Nylen -part. In a good way.

It would be horrible to have a line: Pääjärvi-Svensson-Janmark-Nylen-Pettersson-Wentzel
Shocking a Finnish guy hates Swedish names.

I do actually find it a little tiring, also the Wings are starting to make a habit out of drafting guys that I actually have to make an effort on learning just how to spell their names lately.

Ouellet, Pulkkinen, Athanasiou, and Nastasiuk. Have them ingrained now, but when each player was drafted it was like great lets see how many times I misspell that thing.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Gyldenlove

Quote:

I do actually find it a little tiring, also the Wings are starting to make a habit out of drafting guys that I actually have to make an effort on learning just how to spell their names lately.

Ouellet, Pulkkinen, Athanasiou, and Nastasiuk. Have them ingrained now, but when each player was drafted it was like great lets see how many times I misspell that thing.
Athanasiou and Nastasiuk would work really well on a line together, you would always be able to tell if the play by play guys are a bit drunk.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

He should change his name to Titus or Tyrone.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:42 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Ha! That's great.

I like Little Bert already.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:

and remember its not ooo-let, its wah-let

the french pronounciation adds a whole other dynamic

the best advice I have been told as an american living in canada is to take a french name and "sex it up" when you pronounce it it really does work better

Old
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
He should change his name to Titus or Tyrone.
Janmark-Nylen Sr.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:

I put the V and R backwards in Tvrdon for probably about a year before I realized it. But he's basically a Martian with a name like that.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:52 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Yeah, five teams had secondary meetings with him. Bertuzzi wasn't making it out of the third round.

I think the real question is who is more likely to get nabbed first Tyler Bertuzzi or Janmark-Nylen (Is it true he dropped the second part, so I can just stop using it?) and the Wings brass felt Bertuzzi probably wouldn't slip. I think they were targeting those two players regardless.

It's over, it's done with people, start rooting like hell he rounds into an absolute terror. It's not like Wings fans don't love those players, now we have a legitimate one to root for not one we are stretching into that role that isn't suited for it like our current best "pest" prospect player, who might make it as hockey player but is far from a super-pest or legitimate fighter.
I'm not going to root like hell...for a late 2nd round pick.
Maybe in a 3 years if he gets to the AHL and shows some spirit I'll "root like hell." But at this stage in the game there's much point in wasting effort on a draft pick

Old
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Sweet ending to this thread.

Closed Thread