HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Old
07-11-2013, 09:40 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
Canucks fan dropping in.

I think Newell Brown is one of the better minds in the league when it comes to orchestrating a PP. Brought some tactical innovations that really boosted our power play early on. However, teams eventually began keying in on our power play. That combined with losing key personnel to FA or injury (Ehrhoff, Salo, Kesler) led to our PP's effectiveness plummeting last year when our coaching staff was unable to adjust. When our coaching staff was canned at the end of the season, reports came out suggesting that Brown had some new ideas for the PP but AV vetoed them and opted to stay the course with the one that wasn't working so we never got to see his adjustments.

Overall, I think he'll have success with your team. You guys have some great defensemen who can provide offense and a puck distributor in Ribeiro, both of which Brown worked well with in Vancouver.
I'm assuming that's the part you meant.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I'm assuming that's the part you meant.
One forum poster's opinion...could be accurate, could be totally off base.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:28 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
One forum poster's opinion...could be accurate, could be totally off base.
Well, "there were reports" suggests it wasn't out of the blue. My post was speculation, so I don't know what more proof you want. It's not like you'll find an ironclad reason why he didn't pick this coach or that coach. Him and Arniel's relationship is well known to be close and friendly.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Well, "there were reports" suggests it wasn't out of the blue. My post was speculation, so I don't know what more proof you want. It's not like you'll find an ironclad reason why he didn't pick this coach or that coach. Him and Arniel's relationship is well known to be close and friendly.
I don't think there is 'proof', but at this point it is what it is. I hope Arniel works out and does not become a distraction.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
I don't think there is 'proof', but at this point it is what it is. I hope Arniel works out and does not become a distraction.
As do we all. I think a lot of our PP success will depend on Richards. Stepan and Stralman are the only RH guys on the roster that can compliment a LH guy on the point if you want the opportunity for two one timers. Depends on the type of PP Arniel employs. We shall see - I don't see the personnel on this squad having the talent (and handedness) to exceed 18% on the PP.

F1-Cally
F2-Nash
F3-Stepan
D1-McDonagh/Del Zotto/Brassard/Richards/Zuccarello
F4-Richards/Brassard/Zuccarello/McDonagh/Del Zotto

This type of set up could leave opportunities for Richards to pass to McDonagh for the one timer, McDonagh to pass to Stepan for the one timer (where he did well on the halfboards shot last year) or give it to Nash for the stuff in behind the net, Richards to put it to the net directly for Callahan or Nash to stuff in.

Nash had his best PP years in front/side of the net for stuff ins or high angle bank shots. This type of set up would give Richards the opportunity to control the flow of the PP without Del Zotto on his side trying to do the same causing tons of confusion. Gives an opportunity for two types of one timers (McDonagh/DZ can fake theirs for one to Stepan) and makes Nash effective again. Him and Callahan near the net like that would cause tons of opportunities. Defensemen would have to cheat a lot to take care of both of them leaving two forwards to take care of the other three and this kind of set up would to leave one option open (they could block the pass to McD from Rich and from McD to Stepan, but leave Richards open for the shot or Stepan to receive it directly from Richards - awkwardly, yes, but still).

It's hard to devise a good PP set up based on our players' strengths and handedness. We don't have any really good rightys for the point. The second PP unit could have Stralman and Zuccarello manning the points with Brassard in the middle, featuring a more common 3-2 set up, or even a 1-3-1 if they wanted.

Sorry for the crude drawing, didn't have time to draw it our properly on my phone via my app cause I'm at work. The three outside players will likely be a bit further from the net. Also, hard to keep the puck in on that type of system. This is kind of a hybrid Umbrella/Overload.

Last edited by iamitter: 07-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Jersey Girl

If our power play success depends on Richards...yikes.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
He was still second on the team this year in PPP and last year was first. In 10-11 he would have had almost double the top Ranger on the PP that year. In 09-10 he had 40 for Gaborik's 26, DZ's 22 and Callahan's 20.

The guy was never a good skater. His success next year depends on a mental rebound and better conditioning rather than being a player he never was. His being good on the PP kind of evaporated. I suspect we'll see 25+ PPP from him next year.

F4 and D1 are interchangable frankly in that scenario anyway. I would expect them to switch several times to confuse opponents anyway.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
OverTheCap

As I mentioned on the previous page, Nash's PP production went down under Arniel because he was used along the halfboards. This is one of the reasons why I'm not thrilled that Arniel was hired. Hopefully he changes his strategy because it didn't work in Columbus.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
As I mentioned on the previous page, Nash's PP production went down under Arniel because he was used along the halfboards. This is one of the reasons why I'm not thrilled that Arniel was hired. Hopefully he changes his strategy because it didn't work in Columbus.
Are we sure Arniel handled the PP when he was head coach, even? Yeah, Nash needs to be near the net. He has no slap shot, no one timer. How many snipe wrister goals is he going to get on the halfboards? 6? 7? Like the last few years? He's not a good enough cycler or sniper from there to be used there frankly.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:12 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

The first few years in the league Nash was always parked in the crease. I don't know whether it was the years of abuse or a coaching decision that ended up with him being on the half-wall. In more recent years if he was near the crease it was more of a fly-by thing than a Holmstrom like "park it" situation.

Again, whether that was a player following instructions or not wanted to deal with the constant cross-checks that happen when you "park it" I have no idea. Also don't know if the cup check by (I think) Roloson in Edmonton had anything to do with him not wanting to be in the crease anymore either.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
He was still second on the team this year in PPP and last year was first. In 10-11 he would have had almost double the top Ranger on the PP that year. In 09-10 he had 40 for Gaborik's 26, DZ's 22 and Callahan's 20.

The guy was never a good skater. His success next year depends on a mental rebound and better conditioning rather than being a player he never was. His being good on the PP kind of evaporated. I suspect we'll see 25+ PPP from him next year.
That would require a huge turnaround from how Richards played last year. I'm extremely skeptical that's possible.

At this point we're stuck with him thanks to Sather, so there is nothing to do but hope for the best...

Old
07-11-2013, 01:31 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
That would require a huge turnaround from how Richards played last year. I'm extremely skeptical that's possible.

At this point we're stuck with him thanks to Sather, so there is nothing to do but hope for the best...
Had that many with our dreadful PP two years ago and was on pace for 16 in the crappy year he just had (and was still second in PPP).

Old
07-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Had that many with our dreadful PP two years ago and was on pace for 16 in the crappy year he just had (and was still second in PPP).
I wish I could share your optimism. I saw a player who looked defeated by the end of the season, and he also looked a lot older than his age...which is old enough to begin with.

Can we blame Torts? Will he have a rebirth under AV? Perhaps. Was it a case of a player reaching the beginning of the end right in front of our eyes? Perhaps.

As my dad always said, 'We shall see what we shall see'.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
94now

Quote:
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 1h Phoenix #Coyotes hire Newell Brown as assistant coach and other notes from prospect development camp http://azc.cc/A1qah
Scratch this one...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Scratch this one...
I thought we already had 2 assistant coaches. Are we actively looking for more?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I thought we already had 2 assistant coaches. Are we actively looking for more?
Av wants 3rd. It was reported. Look up this thread, post #190.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Hagg is regarded by pro scouts as a player who can handle the puck with precision, has a good shot and is a smooth skater, but many question his defensive play. But he benefited from playing in Sweden under current New York Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson.

"I would say I am strong offensively and up at the blue line as well," Hagg said. "Ulf Samuelsson just let me play my game and let me get better. He didn't push me and let me do my thing."
Read more at

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...qUriFWKm7ZO.99

Ulf will be good for the Rangers defensemen.

The 3rd assistant should be a young guy. A former player not that removed from the game. Eye in the sky. Assist the other coaches. Help the players on the ice during practice.

This was the Canucks skill coach when Vigneault was their coach

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=78927

Vigneault wants to combine the skill coach with other assistant coach duties. In VAN,the video coach handled the other assistant duties. Jerry Dineen handles the video work for the Rangers coaches.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Expect a different PP. One in which more thought is involved. Better chemistry. And overall more creativity. Expect a better breakout team, a better possession team. Even if its a slight improvement.

Expect movement and therefor expect better hockey and a better PP. Thus making it a better game for its players to play. Richards will do far better this year

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Thesensation19

People often forget that a player's stats can be greatly relied on by the player's around them and the system at hand.

Tort's system lacked creativity. Its basis was simple, stay in positional boundaries and play hard nosed hockey.

AV will be a bit more creative. He simply believes in possession, fast moving of the puck and letting his forwards be free. All in the while, still focusing on defense. Believing his players have to have a complete game.

I have to assume that the Rangers were probably one of the worst in possession. Too many times, per game, the Rangers would break out of the zone using one individual while the rest are lagging behind or changing. Many times this player was forced to dump it in, and change as well or dump it in because it seemed like the only option.

With A/V, I expect the offense to be revamped. More options, faster passing and more possession.

So I expect Richards to have a fully changed year. I dont expect 70 points from him, but I can safely assume he will be near 60 with this new system at hand.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
With A/V, I expect the offense to be revamped. More options, faster passing and more possession.
Regardless of what happens this coming season, if what I quoted from you turns true I will be a happy man. I really hated watching the Rangers play at times this season.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Anyone worried about Arniel and Brassard? They had issues in Columbus, Brass was in the doghouse with him a lot and his agent released a statement about it.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Anyone worried about Arniel and Brassard? They had issues in Columbus, Brass was in the doghouse with him a lot and his agent released a statement about it.
This is so... like... June 25th girl.

If there are issues, Arniel is going to be the one in the dog house before Brassy is. After Richards, Brassard is our #2 center. #2 centers are harder to replace than an assistant coach who hasn't won a thing.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:49 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
This is so... like... June 25th girl.

If there are issues, Arniel is going to be the one in the dog house before Brassy is. After Richards, Brassard is our #2 center. #2 centers are harder to replace than an assistant coach who hasn't won a thing.

ummm...Stepan?

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Faxius

vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
ummm...Stepan?
He means after Richards is gone next off-season, Brass will be our #2.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Of course I am worried. Maybe NYR didnt do their hw when they hired him and now this will cause issues.

But at the same time, I believe its BS.

Brassard was a young player back in the day. I am sure Arniel wanted to give the kid opportunity but did not see him fit for top 6 duty. He wanted to keep him in the AHL to grow properly, while he has more faith in more experienced players even if they are less talented.

In the end, Arniel was forced to keep brassard but he put him on the bottom 6 and often on the 4th line. Sounds like Kreider.

The truth is, I am sure many fans and Brassard himself felt he deserved more playing time. But he probably had a lot of issues. Like positional play, like Kreider.

And because of this, BRassard's agent spoke up in the media. Which is something that Brassard probably did not want to ultimately have happen anyway.

Anyway, I am okay with this because AV chose him. I think AV did the right study on both these guys. I like that AV calls the final shots. And I like that Arniel has less say. I think Arniel will trust Brassard more, and I am sure he wishes he could have done so more back in the day.

So I am worried, but believe everything will be fine.