HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
  #101
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Laughton's upside is incredibly high. I'd say he might be a more physical Patrice Bergeron type player. He's going to be something else to watch. If things go accordingly, I could see the following lines:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
Schenn Couturier Lecavalier
Gagne Laughton Read
Rinaldo Hall Talbot
Rosehill

Honestly, that second line would be something else to watch. You could see Laviolette just interchange the three at faceoffs every game. The opposition wouldn't know who to focus on. I love it. I really think Laughton could flourish playing beside Matt Read and I could see those two becoming the best two-way forwards on the club. Gagne could be that Kapanen type on the line and help them along. That could be a fantastic third line.
You forgot somebody.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:55 PM
  #102
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,081
vCash: 500
I know this is a little off topic and looking too far into the future but I really hope Cousins reaches his potential so I can watch a 3rd line of Simmer-Laughton-Cousins in a few seasons. That line has the potential to really good teams trouble and piss people off in the process .

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:39 AM
  #103
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
For me, it is simple. Is Laughton better than Gagne on the wing? Easy answer...NO! Let Laughton be GREAT in the OHL. Get the experience of the WJC. See if he elevates his game against his peers.
Current-day Simon Gagne has to be the most overrated player amongst the posters on this board. It's pretty amazing. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure Laughton is better than Gagne right now. It might not even be that close.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:18 AM
  #104
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
You forgot somebody.
Yep. Total oversight on my part. Actually, you can put Simmonds on that third line if they don't re-sign Gagne. So, my revised lines with Simmer:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Lecavalier
Simmonds - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill

Wow, that's actually a really good lineup.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:27 AM
  #105
JoeFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Current-day Simon Gagne has to be the most overrated player amongst the posters on this board. It's pretty amazing. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure Laughton is better than Gagne right now. It might not even be that close.
Eh? That's nonsense. Gagne I think is for the most part accurately valued on here. Most agree he's now a good 2-way 3rd line player. We know he's not going to score big point numbers, but he will chip in, we know he's not going to go hard into the corners, but then that was never his game. I don't believe he missed a game through injury this year, certainly didn't for us. It's not a stretch to say he could play most of a seasons’ games.

To say a guy who's played a combined total of 11 NHL / AHL games is better than him is a bit deluded. I'm sure Laughton can contribute now but I doubt it would be with the same consistency as Gagne. However, I'd put both of them in the side. Laughton on the 4th line for now getting other mins as they come (we take enough fighting majors through our top lines it's not as though he wouldn’t have a chance to play some more 'quality' mins in addition to 4th line duties). Let him earn the better ice time not just give him it on a 3rd line that is probably (potentially) on par with some teams 2nd lines.

Edit: You're crazy


Last edited by JoeFlyer: 07-11-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: You're crazy ;)
JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:43 AM
  #106
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,387
vCash: 500
Gagne played very well last year when he said he was healthy. He's a super smart player that has lost a step and his shot completely has failed him now. But he's not a liability and he can/will create offense at times. I'm not going to lose my ***** if they resign him.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:43 AM
  #107
JoeFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Also, can Laughton still start the season with us and play 10 geames (or 5 because he's played 5?) and then get sent back to Juniors?

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:48 AM
  #108
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Also, can Laughton still start the season with us and play 10 geames (or 5 because he's played 5?) and then get sent back to Juniors?
I think (guessing) he can do the 10 games this year. I think the game thing is for each season and not an accumulation.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
  #109
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Laughton's upside is incredibly high. I'd say he might be a more physical Patrice Bergeron type player. He's going to be something else to watch. If things go accordingly, I could see the following lines:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
Schenn Couturier Lecavalier
Gagne Laughton Read
Rinaldo Hall Talbot
Rosehill

Honestly, that second line would be something else to watch. You could see Laviolette just interchange the three at faceoffs every game. The opposition wouldn't know who to focus on. I love it. I really think Laughton could flourish playing beside Matt Read and I could see those two becoming the best two-way forwards on the club. Gagne could be that Kapanen type on the line and help them along. That could be a fantastic third line.
I'm as excited as anyone about Laughton, but this is a little crazy. You're really that confident that Laughton can become a B level first line centerman with elite two-way play?

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:48 AM
  #110
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
I can see that being his Ceiling, kid is something special and keeps evolving and building himself up. Honestly, last season during his Stint with the Flyers, the kid impressed me more than anyone on the team during that stretch. He might not have put up the numbers, but each shift he was out, you knew it, and he always involved. The fact that he got bigger, and had another year of junior on his belt, I think this year he solidifies himself in the lineup.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
  #111
MP92
Registered User
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
I can see that being his Ceiling, kid is something special and keeps evolving and building himself up. Honestly, last season during his Stint with the Flyers, the kid impressed me more than anyone on the team during that stretch. He might not have put up the numbers, but each shift he was out, you knew it, and he always involved. The fact that he got bigger, and had another year of junior on his belt, I think this year he solidifies himself in the lineup.
Same here. He didn't make any boneheaded plays like a lot of rookies do. He always made the smart play. Didn't look like he was trying to do too much and was always in position.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:13 AM
  #112
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'm as excited as anyone about Laughton, but this is a little crazy. You're really that confident that Laughton can become a B level first line centerman with elite two-way play?
Absolutely. I think Laughton is one of the more underrated prospects in the game and that his offensive game is much better than what we see. He was used in every role in Oshawa and succeeded in what ever role he was put in. I think he's going to be one of those guys who is a much better professional player than a junior player and that his game translates very well at the NHL level. You're talking about a player who's game is physical, has excellent skating abilities and can play in all situations. I know the names Adam Henrique and John Madden have been used to describe Laughton, but if you watch him play, his game is very similar to that of Bergeron's.

He's going to surprise a lot of people at just how good of a player he really is.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
  #113
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Laughton is a special player.

If he makes the team, I would not be surprised if he finds himself on Giroux or Lecavalier's wing. The guy has got offensive instincts that Couturier doesn't have, and even Schenn (this may be an unpopular opinion around here). We shall have to wait and see but I think Laughton could outproduce Schenn this year and be a darkhorse for the Calder.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
  #114
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
I wager that Laughton makes Schenn or Couturier expendable within the next 2 years, specially if Straka keeps being a beast, and Raffl is indeed roster worthy, and Cousins down the road.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
  #115
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,387
vCash: 500
Wow I like Laughton, but that is a hefty hefty goal.

Considering guys like MacKinnon & Drouin & Jones will be in the NHL this year too.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
  #116
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Wow I like Laughton, but that is a hefty hefty goal.

Considering guys like MacKinnon & Drouin & Jones will be in the NHL this year too.
He'd be a darkhorse for sure, but I think he will turn some heads this season.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:42 PM
  #117
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,784
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Laughton has the offensive instincts that Couturier and Schenn don't have?


BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
  #118
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Laughton has the offensive instincts that Couturier and Schenn don't have?

Yeah, Laughton's offensive tool box is definitely a notch below Schenn and Couturier, but offensive instincts is something different...

I'm not saying Laughton's offensive IQ is comparable but...

Laughton's offense comes a different way. He forces the offense to come even though he doesn't have the skill. He's the kind of guy who gets a lot of points just by being in the right place at the right time.

Look at Cannon for example. He was never an elite anything. He was a great passer, but he developed an all-around offensive output by playing smart in the offensive zone and pressuring opposing defenses.

Laughton doesn't even have as much skill as Richards did, but he gets his offensive game in a similar way. Next to a guy like Giroux, his stats could be inflated, and by making room for Giroux along the walls, a physical and strong skater like Laughton could open up a little more offensive wiggle room for G.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
  #119
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Laughton is a special player.

If he makes the team, I would not be surprised if he finds himself on Giroux or Lecavalier's wing. The guy has got offensive instincts that Couturier doesn't have, and even Schenn (this may be an unpopular opinion around here). We shall have to wait and see but I think Laughton could outproduce Schenn this year and be a darkhorse for the Calder.
I would be very surprised if he even makes it as one of the three finalists for the Calder, to win that would mean he would have put up at least 50 points going by recent history.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:01 PM
  #120
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Laughton has the offensive instincts that Couturier and Schenn don't have?

Last time I checked, Couturier has been pretty anemic offensively.

Schenn hasn't been exactly lighting the world on fire either. While his "potential" is fading away, he's appearing to become one of those "tools but no toolbox" players.

Laughton, I believe, has got that toolbox.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  #121
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,784
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Last time I checked, Couturier has been pretty anemic offensively.

Schenn hasn't been exactly lighting the world on fire either. While his "potential" is fading away, he's appearing to become one of those "tools but no toolbox" players.

Laughton, I believe, has got that toolbox.
Put Laughton in Couturier's place last year with the defensive zone starts and faceoffs he had and the linemates Couturier had, and I'd bet Laughton doesn't crack 10 points, and might have had half of Couturier's total, 7 or 8 points. He had no points in 5 games. Put Sean Couturier in Laughton's place last year, and I'd bet you that Couturier averages over 2 points per game in juniors. He averaged 1.66 two years ago, so it would be completely reasonable that after two years he could average 2 points per game. Laughton averaged 1.14 last year. Laughton averaged .828 in his draft year, Couturier averaged DOUBLE that in his draft year.

Schenn put up .55PPG last year in just his second season in the NHL, which is a 45 point season over 82 games. That's perfectly good for a guy in his second NHL season.

Laughton certainly has a toolbox, he's going to be a useful NHL player one day. The thing is, he doesn't have nearly the number of tools to put into it that Couturier and Schenn have.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
  #122
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
I was giving Shafer a hard time yesterday, but I'd have to give him credit on this issue.

I don't make any pretensions to be a pseudo-scout, but from what Laughton has shown me in his 5 NHL games, and my limited viewing of him in Oshawa/Adirondack, I see that he has the type of game that will translate well to the NHL. Now, if the rumors of him packing on 15 lbs. of muscle are true, I expect him to be all the better.

I'd like to see him on the wing - I think he could be an ideal complement to Giroux or Lecavalier. If there's chemistry, I don't see how a 50 point season is out of the ordinary. If Simmonds can put up 50 points on this team, I don't see why Laughton can't.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  #123
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Put Laughton in Couturier's place last year with the defensive zone starts and faceoffs he had and the linemates Couturier had, and I'd bet Laughton doesn't crack 10 points, and might have had half of Couturier's total, 7 or 8 points. He had no points in 5 games. Put Sean Couturier in Laughton's place last year, and I'd bet you that Couturier averages over 2 points per game in juniors. He averaged 1.66 two years ago, so it would be completely reasonable that after two years he could average 2 points per game. Laughton averaged 1.14 last year. Laughton averaged .828 in his draft year, Couturier averaged DOUBLE that in his draft year.

Schenn put up .55PPG last year in just his second season in the NHL, which is a 45 point season over 82 games. That's perfectly good for a guy in his second NHL season.

Laughton certainly has a toolbox, he's going to be a useful NHL player one day. The thing is, he doesn't have nearly the number of tools to put into it that Couturier and Schenn have.
We can talk stats all day, but the bottom line is Schenn was not exactly making the Flyers a better team last year. Schenn will not be a center on this team long term, and we haven't seen that he can be effective on the wing yet. Honestly, I think playing for Terry Murray screwed both Schenn and Couturier up a little bit.

We've seen many skilled players who tore up the CHL become mediocre players in the NHL. Schenn has not had a seamless transition to the pros, and seeing how Laughton is on the cusp of making an NHL team a year after his draft, where Schenn was not is pretty indicative of what each can bring to the table. I wouldn't be surprised to see Laughton pass Schenn on the depth chart on will alone.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:35 PM
  #124
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,784
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
I'd like to see him on the wing - I think he could be an ideal complement to Giroux or Lecavalier. If there's chemistry, I don't see how a 50 point season is out of the ordinary. If Simmonds can put up 50 points on this team, I don't see why Laughton can't.
50 point rookie seasons since 05-06:

RNH
Landeskog
Henrique
Skinner
Couture
Grabner(23 year old rookie)
Duchene
Tavares
Ryan
Versteeg(22 year old rookie)
Kane
Backstrom
Toews
Mueller
Malkin
Stastny
Kopitar
Wolski
Ovechkin
Crosby
Boyes
J. Jokinen
Svatos

Other than a couple of surprises in there(Henrique, Grabner, Mueller, Wolski, Svatos), I don't see how Laughton fits into that group. Henrique is the only real guy that I think compares to Laughton as a guy that projects as a two-way player. The other guys are mostly all-offense players. It could happen, but personally I'd be shocked.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
  #125
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
I was giving Shafer a hard time yesterday, but I'd have to give him credit on this issue.

I don't make any pretensions to be a pseudo-scout, but from what Laughton has shown me in his 5 NHL games, and my limited viewing of him in Oshawa/Adirondack, I see that he has the type of game that will translate well to the NHL. Now, if the rumors of him packing on 15 lbs. of muscle are true, I expect him to be all the better.

I'd like to see him on the wing - I think he could be an ideal complement to Giroux or Lecavalier. If there's chemistry, I don't see how a 50 point season is out of the ordinary. If Simmonds can put up 50 points on this team, I don't see why Laughton can't.
Simmonds did have a 40 point season with LA under Terry Murray prior to coming here. He's always had the offensive talent he just wasn't given much of an oppurinuty to do so like he has been given here.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.