HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
With the David Perron trade today. It's become clear that we have to get a bigger 2nd line center than Gagner. I think we've seen the last of Samwise as an Oiler.
They do but the more important thing is they need to agree on a contract with him before his hearing. They really dont need him hitting UFA next year. Either make the decision you are committing to him or move him now. There's not really a debate and nor should there be. He has good value and let's face it, he'd cash in galore as a UFA next year.

See what's out there if you dont want to sign him. Problem is Im not even sure where he'd be a good fit. Maybe San Jose for Pavleski and Demers or something like that. Teams that need another C generally need a larger one. Maybe the Isles but Im not even sure for what. Washington needs a C but once again, what do they have?

This might be the trade for that D guy they've been looking for. Then comes the creation of another problem up the middle.

He has the team by the short ones. They have to pay him.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:57 AM
oilexport

People have short memories, Sam was one of the whipping boys here until his "magical contract year". He will be a problem if he's signed long term to big bucks cause he won't live up to it. His effort needs to be 110% to be effective, hard to do night in and out.

We have seen the "contract year" efforts of too many over the years. He is just too soft, too slow, and too small....sick hands thou...

Old
07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
saying this for weeks.
Hodgson and Gagner? eh, i wouldnt be TOO hyped on that... especially with Ennis and Gerbe on the roster. they play hard but theyd be beyond TINY
Gerbe was bought out, so he's out of the picture. Perhaps Gagner could play RW across from Vanek?

07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

The other positive that the Perron trade brings is that if we do move Gagner out, we have a RH replacement for the 2PP unit. If I was a betting man I'd say that Gagner will be back, but stranger things have happened.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
People have short memories, Sam was one of the whipping boys here until his "magical contract year". He will be a problem if he's signed long term to big bucks cause he won't live up to it. His effort needs to be 110% to be effective, hard to do night in and out.

We have seen the "contract year" efforts of too many over the years. He is just too soft, too slow, and too small....sick hands thou...
Problem is, the Oilers have no 2C and there is nothing on the market outside of Grabovski. Whom I'd love to have, the MSM guys here have been shutting that down since he was bought out however.

Gagner knows his value. If he doesn't, his agent sure does. He's a 2C who's only 23 who will score you at least 40 pts a season, and has potential to get 50+. He's one year from UFA so he wants term. Something something, rock and a hard place.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:10 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think there is any chance Gagner is traded. If anything PErron was brought in to utilize Gags playmaking ability.

Hemsky is gone for sure though. I would like to trade Hemmer for prospects, sign morrow.

Go with a 3rd line of

Morrow-Gordon-Jones.

Old
07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousbusiness View Post
i think he's smart enough, and determined enough, and doggone it, people like him. Still, i'm concerned about the kind of money he's looking for from us.
ftfy

Old
07-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The other positive that the Perron trade brings is that if we do move Gagner out, we have a RH replacement for the 2PP unit. If I was a betting man I'd say that Gagner will be back, but stranger things have happened.
The other positive is that if used this way Gagner will work out quite well with Perron and Yak. I think Yak would also learn a lot from Perron and help refine his game at this level. Perron being somebody that plays in the toughest division, against best opponents, and gets to the paint. I'd love to see Yak getting down greasy more. On a line with Gags and Perron thats whats on the menu.

Not sure if you remember some of Gags filthy feeds to Hemsky on the break. With Perron on one side and Yak the other this is now much more an option than with the unpredictable Hemsky.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Just as an aside I wonder if the Perron trade happens if the Blues didn't fall to the Kings. If that had anything to do with it from the Blues end its a mistake. Blues were close, I said it all year. They're further away now.

Blues just got beat by a gutsy SC team that wasn't prepared to go down.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post

I don't know if this is fair comment though. With Gagner there hasn't been a season where I would say. I want a rewrite on that one, or that I think he could've should've played better in that one. I do say the year with Omark and Paajarvi was tough but that was a gongshow for the whole club that year.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I don't think there is any chance Gagner is traded. If anything PErron was brought in to utilize Gags playmaking ability.

Hemsky is gone for sure though. I would like to trade Hemmer for prospects, sign morrow.

Go with a 3rd line of

Morrow-Gordon-Jones.
From most accounts Perron is not a sniper and is more of a puck hog. Go over to the STL board and the 2 biggest knocks on him are hogging the puck and taking offensive zone penalties.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't know if this is fair comment though. With Gagner there hasn't been a season where I would say. I want a rewrite on that one, or that I think he could've should've played better in that one. I do say the year with Omark and Paajarvi was tough but that was a gongshow for the whole club that year.
You know what, your right. His effort has been good all along but players do train harder and want to do well in thier contract years. It's natural instinct...

He has done very well with his physical limitations, maybe age and desire and hard work will increase those limits. On this top six (small) he does not fit very well.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
From most accounts Perron is not a sniper and is more of a puck hog. Go over to the STL board and the 2 biggest knocks on him are hogging the puck and taking offensive zone penalties.
Some also say he's a goal scorer and could hit 35 one day.

As for Gags, I really hope they don't make it all the way to arbitration. A one year deal would be horrible. We'd probably have to look at trading him at the deadline and hurting our playoff chances, or risk losing him for nothing.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
I dont think the Bozak deal helps gagner's dollars for this season if it goes to arbitration. I think the Oilers are nuts if they were to deny him a multi year deal at 5 or less. I have a feeling that he wants the eberle hall contract lol

Old
07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
I dont think the Bozak deal helps gagner's dollars for this season if it goes to arbitration. I think the Oilers are nuts if they were to deny him a multi year deal at 5 or less. I have a feeling that he wants the eberle hall contract lol
Bozak's deal has no barring on Gagner's arbitration hearing. UFA contracts cannot be used as comparables in an RFA arbitration.

07-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Bozak's deal has no barring on Gagner's arbitration hearing. UFA contracts cannot be used as comparables in an RFA arbitration.
not on arb, but on trying to sign him LT

Old
07-15-2013, 08:25 AM
oilers4life5

Anyone else worried about him not signing yet? Our centre depth without him goes from bad to terrible. We can't afford for him to get a 1-2 year deal from arbitration.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Anyone else worried about him not signing yet? Our centre depth without him goes from bad to terrible. We can't afford for him to get a 1-2 year deal from arbitration.
I'd wonder about taking this player to the brink of arbitration two times running and what kind of message is sent about this popular player to the other young stars on this club.

Don't think that that thought doesn't occur. Gagner is very well liked and respected in this dressing room.

Is this club saving pennies to cost credibility dollars with its core players? Only time will tell.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

The other young stars already signed 6 and 7 year extensions. RNH, Schultz, and Yak will have no issues being extended.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:34 AM
oilers4life5

I just realized he can only get a one year deal from arbitration. That would be really bad for the Oilers.

I just don't get how a deal is not already done. 4-5 years at 4-5 million seems to be the consensus from everyone and both parties want him to stay. What's the hold up?

Old
07-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The other young stars already signed 6 and 7 year extensions. RNH, Schultz, and Yak will have no issues being extended.
We, and they, will know this how?

Also what factor entitles Eberle, who took much longer to break into the NHL than Gagner, automatic reward on less of a sample of results?

If anything the Eberle contract was foolish and is a setup for future demands. Who would believe he's worth as much as Hall?

This team thinks very little of the pay hierarchy it awards in some instances while in others its obstinate. Oddly enough with the player, Gagner, who was singled out all season as the model student, the guy that came to the season most prepared, the guy that others should look to for inspiration and commitment. You know, the guy they're letting twist in the wind. Again.

Why?

Old
07-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I believe that Bozak has said he signed before he became a free agent. He never heard an offer from another team.

He signed after the 2 day period though so he must have been a ufa? I can't find the quote.

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 07-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old
07-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:

Also what factor entitles Eberle, who took much longer to break into the NHL than Gagner, automatic reward on less of a sample of results?

If anything the Eberle contract was foolish and is a setup for future demands. Who would believe he's worth as much as Hall?

This team thinks very little of the pay hierarchy it awards in some instances while in others its obstinate. Oddly enough with the player, Gagner, who was singled out all season as the model student, the guy that came to the season most prepared, the guy that others should look to for inspiration and commitment. You know, the guy they're letting twist in the wind. Again.

Why?
Tambo vs MacT

Old
07-15-2013, 09:11 AM
shogun99

Quote:

Why?
34 goal, 76 point sophomore season. Led team in scoring 2 years in a row.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:13 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
34 goal, 76 point sophomore season. Led team in scoring 2 years in a row.
Yes, but has he shown the consistency of six sub 50pt seasons?

Closed Thread